Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,782 members, 7,806,165 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? (7456 Views)

My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? / The Bible Justified It That A Women Can Go To Church With Her Hair Uncovered! / Can The Assassination Of A Dictator Be Justified? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by dorox(m): 1:26am On Jun 03, 2011
As a christian, i don't think that there is such a thing as a Just lie or Good lie or Innocent lie. I believe that Satan being the Father of lie means that all lies ultimately originate from him. Then again i have heard some people say that there are times when it becomes necessary even for a christian to tell a  lie in order to achieve a greater good. Please, tell me what you think.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 1:37am On Jun 03, 2011
there is no such thing as a GOOD lie, all lies are wrong!
people lie because they aint got the strenght to be honest and tell the truth BUT THEN come around and bring some silly excuses to justify the lie.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by kris2glo: 9:10am On Jun 03, 2011
First, Lie is not the opposite of truth, lie is a perverting truth, you know when something looks like it, but is not it. So it depends on what you mean by lie? Or what exactly you are talking about? smiley
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 03, 2011
I'll give two examples and you all can decide if there are good lies or not

The only son of a man with a weak heart is rushed into the intensive care unit after a ghastly motor accident , minutes later the boy dies and the doctor coming out of the unit is approached by the frail father wanting to know how his son is faring. The doctor knowing the father's condition tells him his son is okay and he can go home to rest.

I'm preparing for my final papers in school and I decided to call my folks at home. I gleefully ask after everyone at home from my dad including my paternal grandmother who is very fond of me , and I her ( I'm called oko mama , meaning mama's husband ). My dad tells me she's fine and that she sends her regards ( she actually died three days prior to that day ). My dad had to tell me that lie so that I wouldn't lose concentration in my exams.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by nuclearboy(m): 3:27pm On Jun 03, 2011
^^^ On the surface, your examples seem to make a strong case for the "special case lie". However, you will realize that both "lies" above are actually not final information i.e. the idea behind them is to allow time heal the wound/damage that harsh truth would "create". They are not final lies as is "GOD SAID SO & SO" which obviously cannot be changed

After your exams, the news would be broken to you and in the same way, the man would later have the truth broken to him.

These are - emotional temporary fibs/lies meant to save a situation - like killing is TOTALLY JUSTIFIED in self defense but reprehensible otherwise
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 03, 2011
@ nuclear boy
I fully support you , I'm just against the title of the thread. You can see my point , some lies have to be told to prevent a greater damage , though the truth would have to be told finally but the lie was inevitable at that point.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 03, 2011
@OP, I hope this answers your questions
After he had said this, he went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.”
12 His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.” 13 Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.
14 So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead, 15 and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.”
16 Then Thomas (also known as Didymus[a]) said to the rest of the disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.”

or doesn't, lol

Did Jesus lie here or he was being mindful of his words?
Can we say He lied or he didn't say the truth, or he misrepresented the truth?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 10:43pm On Jun 03, 2011
@
dorox:

As a christian, i don't think that there is such a thing as a Just lie or Good lie or Innocent lie. I believe that Satan being the Father of lie means that all lies ultimately originate from him. Then again i have heard some people say that there are times when it becomes necessary even for a christian to tell a  lie in order to achieve a greater good. Please, tell me what you think.

@
MRbrownJAY:

there is no such thing as a GOOD lie, all lies are wrong!
people lie because they aint got the strenght to be honest and tell the truth BUT THEN come around and bring some silly excuses to justify the lie.

@ nuclearboy, how about the situations listed below?

What do you consider a lie? Consider these scenarios.

Person A unknowingly presents false information.

Person B is asked a question and he deflects this question i.e does not answer the question.

Person C is asked a question and he answers but does not answer fully thereby unintentionally giving the wrong impression.

Person D is asked a question which he does not answer fully i.e he omits certain details which he would have supplied if asked.

Person E suffers from alcoholism and thus confabulates when asked a question.

Person F had a false memory and reported this memory as true.

Person G had his family threatened with severe injury and death if he did not lie about the cause of his injury.

Person H is a 4 year old child who claims he saw Jesus and Mohammad talking to him.

Person I is fifteen year old who deliberately told his parents that he was studying while he was at a party.

Person J is an adult who deliberately lies about the location of a woman to a would be wife-beater who comes to his door.

Which of these scenarios qualify as lies? Which ones do you think are justified?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by DeepSight(m): 4:04am On Jun 04, 2011
I have said this before and I will say it again. The only lie is the word or deed that prceeds with a false intention towards a wicked and false end. The intention is overwhelmingly critical.

I strongly urge all to read the comments on this matter here -

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-582103.0.html
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by nuclearboy(m): 6:55am On Jun 04, 2011
@thehomer:

Truth AND lies are based on MOTIVE! I consider it a lie telling my daughter we're going to a party when I know she's going to get a shot at the doctors BUT to spare her the agony of looking forward to pain and crying terrified for half an hour, I will gladly tell it. However, I will stop at a supermarket and get her a few things she loves ahead of getting the shot and after the shot, will get her something she likes again.

Motive!

The Bible details the Almighty requesting a spirit to go provide false information to achieve His own purpose. His own purpose, of course, is considered to be the right. So who am I to be "overly" righteous and cause pain. As long as the motives are based on fairness and eventual truth, to me, its okay.

An innocent liar is guilty of "ignorance". If that is addressed and he refuses to accept truth, then he is a deliberate liar
Deflecting questions may mean 1. he doesn't know 2. He's uncomfortable with disclosure 3. He refuses to lie
Person C is mainly a deceiver - full disclosure goes with truth
How can you blame person D? He answered to the best of his understanding
E is guilty of "alchoholism". Adults are not supposed to lose control (at least not from their tummies - dude is a glutton)
F is innocent but ought not be over-bearing in his secureness
G is already settled above in my earlier post - the first thing in life is self-preservation (even to the point of killing)
H - remove this child from church and mosque and from his parents too
I - immaturity is not a crime (at least he didn't kill) but this is a lie
J is justified

Of course, the above is my own creed. Circumstances may change the justification e.g. if J's wife beater was a dude I could beat the shitt out of and the wife was my sister or daughter - I'd be guilty of assault almost to the point of death rather than a "white" lie!
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 04, 2011
Lies are inevitable, lies have to be told sonmetimes. This is when Mill's utilitariism comes handy,
The question is whether d lie maximnizes the conmmon good?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 8:46pm On Jun 04, 2011
nuclearboy:

@thehomer:

Truth AND lies are based on MOTIVE! I consider it a lie telling my daughter we're going to a party when I know she's going to get a shot at the doctors BUT to spare her the agony of looking forward to pain and crying terrified for half an hour, I will gladly tell it. However, I will stop at a supermarket and get her a few things she loves ahead of getting the shot and after the shot, will get her something she likes again.

Ok. While I do understand this approach and I do empathize with this, my next question is whether God will send a person to hell for doing what you said above. Also, does doing what you said above make a person a son of the devil if as the OP said, the devil is the father of liars?

nuclearboy:

Motive!

The Bible details the Almighty requesting a spirit to go provide false information to achieve His own purpose. His own purpose, of course, is considered to be the right. So who am I to be "overly" righteous and cause pain. As long as the motives are based on fairness and eventual truth, to me, its okay.

Sure it may be okay to you but is it okay to God? I mean he chooses to send this lying spirit but he does not allow you to lie. So doing what God does does not guarantee one safety from the pits of hell.

nuclearboy:

An innocent liar is guilty of "ignorance". If that is addressed and he refuses to accept truth, then he is a deliberate liar
Deflecting questions may mean 1. he doesn't know 2. He's uncomfortable with disclosure 3. He refuses to lie
Person C is mainly a deceiver - full disclosure goes with truth
How can you blame person D? He answered to the best of his understanding
E is guilty of "alchoholism". Adults are not supposed to lose control (at least not from their tummies - dude is a glutton)
F is innocent but ought not be over-bearing in his secureness
G is already settled above in my earlier post - the first thing in life is self-preservation (even to the point of killing)
H - remove this child from church and mosque and from his parents too
I - immaturity is not a crime (at least he didn't kill) but this is a lie
J is justified

Of course, the above is my own creed. Circumstances may change the justification e.g. if J's wife beater was a dude I could beat the shitt out of and the wife was my sister or daughter - I'd be guilty of assault almost to the point of death rather than a "white" lie!

While there are certain statements of yours above that I disagree with, my basic question still remains that would God find ones justifications adequate before he sends such a person to hell for eternity?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 8:58pm On Jun 04, 2011
Deep Sight:

I have said this before and I will say it again. The only lie is the word or deed that prceeds with a false intention towards a wicked and false end. The intention is overwhelmingly critical.

I strongly urge all to read the comments on this matter here -

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-582103.0.html

And if one was unable to foresee that their statement will lead to a wicked and false end? Is that person still culpable?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by nuclearboy(m): 10:26pm On Jun 04, 2011
@thehomer:

I sincerely believe the "motive" caveat I mentioned handles how God will look at our actions. While it seems like the same answer DeepSight has detailed here, please remember that the basic difference between my understanding of God and that of DeepSight is that I see God as a personal emotional being, ergo (for me), feelings tend to suggest understanding of circumstances and justification (or lack thereof) based on such.

And I propose that God is not subject to the same laws we are. The definition of the title negates such obeisance to laws or need for such.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jun 04, 2011
apocalypse:

@ nuclear boy
I fully support you , I'm just against the title of the thread. You can see my point , some lies have to be told to prevent a greater damage , though the truth would have to be told finally but the lie was inevitable at that point.

no it wasnt. the person that told the lie THOUGHT it was better at the time, for whatever reasons but it definitely WASNT INEVITABLE.
if i understand your comment correctly then what you are saying is that a lie is ok to be told so long as it save someone some grief? nonsense!

but hey, i am cheating on my gf and since she loves me and would kill herself if she knew the truth, i decided to lie to her to save her from killing herself. duh!

@homer
if Person A doesnt know that he is telling a lie then he cant be blamed for it BUT NEVERTHELESS a lie has been told.

Person B, C and D know that their answers aint the whole truth therefore a lie. . . . . . . especially if they do it on purpose.

Person E and F have a serious problem and need help in understanding that they should be quiet rather than making up stories that they knows are product of their imagination.

Person G need to sort his life out, the end doesnt justify the means. go to the police, get a gun or simply grow some balls to defend yourself in whatever ways. what if they ask him to kill someone?!

the parent of Person H should make him understand that there is a big difference between dreams and reality ALTHOUGH they may feel the same.

Person I is a liar, plain and simple!

Person J should call the cops rather than telling a lie to cover a crime. what if husband turns on him when he discover the truth?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Mpetempe(m): 12:13am On Jun 05, 2011
Some lies can be justified hear this story.

Some people where pursing a criminal and he ran to parish house they followed him there, and while searching for him the parish priest came out and denied that no one was there while the criminal is hiding in priest's inner room, when the people chasing him had left the priest called the criminal counsel him, preached to him and he accepted Jesus and repented.

Can't you see how this lie is justified, if they had killed him, how will he repent or know Christ.

Lets stop confusing ourselves with big grammer.

Some lies has power of saving great damages and balancing in order.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by nuclearboy(m): 5:33am On Jun 05, 2011
^^ The above is sad & embarrassing.

What if the man did nor "repent"? What is your assurance that it was genuine repentance and not an effusion due to gratitude & only mouth deep. Finally, how did the priest know his lie would be justified by repentance when deciding to lie?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 6:42am On Jun 05, 2011
Really sad and embarassing story.

All lies are lies. Some are just more forgiveable than others from man's point of view. At the end, it's your motives that matter.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 7:50am On Jun 05, 2011
Mpetempe:

Some people where pursing a criminal and he ran to parish house they followed him there, and while searching for him the parish priest came out and denied that no one was there while the criminal is hiding in priest's inner room, when the people chasing him had left the priest called the criminal counsel him, preached to him and he accepted Jesus and repented.

Can't you see how this lie is justified, if they had killed him, how will he repent or know Christ.

Some lies has power of saving great damages and balancing in order.[color=#990000][/color]

What if he had turned around and killed the priest then escaped so that he would not be identified in a trial?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 6:58pm On Jun 05, 2011
nuclearboy:

@thehomer:

I sincerely believe the "motive" caveat I mentioned handles how God will look at our actions. While it seems like the same answer DeepSight has detailed here, please remember that the basic difference between my understanding of God and that of DeepSight is that I see God as a personal emotional being, ergo (for me), feelings tend to suggest understanding of circumstances and justification (or lack thereof) based on such.

And I propose that God is not subject to the same laws we are. The definition of the title negates such obeisance to laws or need for such.

In other words, you think God will find your justifications for lying adequate? In that case, he will also need to find the justifications of people not believing in him adequate.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 7:04pm On Jun 05, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

no it wasnt. the person that told the lie THOUGHT it was better at the time, for whatever reasons but it definitely WASNT INEVITABLE.
if i understand your comment correctly then what you are saying is that a lie is ok to be told so long as it save someone some grief? nonsense!

but hey, i am cheating on my gf and since she loves me and would kill herself if she knew the truth, i decided to lie to her to save her from killing herself. duh!

@homer
if Person A doesnt know that he is telling a lie then he cant be blamed for it BUT NEVERTHELESS a lie has been told.

Person B, C and D know that their answers aint the whole truth therefore a lie. . . . . . . especially if they do it on purpose.

Person E and F have a serious problem and need help in understanding that they should be quiet rather than making up stories that they knows are product of their imagination.

Person G need to sort his life out, the end doesnt justify the means. go to the police, get a gun or simply grow some balls to defend yourself in whatever ways. what if they ask him to kill someone?!

the parent of Person H should make him understand that there is a big difference between dreams and reality ALTHOUGH they may feel the same.

Person I is a liar, plain and simple!

Person J should call the cops rather than telling a lie to cover a crime. what if husband turns on him when he discover the truth?

Do you think all these people are wrong? i.e, have they performed wrong actions?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 05, 2011
^^yes i think they are because there is absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION for a lie. NONE!!!!
people should grow up and face reality rather than live in fantasy land.

Mpetempe:

people should STAND FOR THEIR ACTIONS AND PAY THE CONSEQUENCES. hiding under repentance is just too easy!
but hey, since you are so forgiving, what if he had ra.ped and killed someone dear to you? would you still accept that he walks free without punishment simply because he talked to a damn priest?!

that criminal in your story NEEDS to be punished and go to jail for his acts AND THE PRIEST TOO, for aiding and abetting a criminal!
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by nuclearboy(m): 1:15am On Jun 06, 2011
thehomer:

In other words, you think God will find your justifications for lying adequate? In that case, he will also need to find the justifications of people not believing in him adequate.

Where in my post did you get this tripe? angry

You are obviously intelligent enough to have seen my caveat - under one set of circumstances, yes, I (ME, MOI) will justify the liar to the wife beater. In another set of circumstances and in his shoes, I'd beat the moisture off his damper. I speak/spoke for myself - where did you get the above?
Or how does that or any other stuff I wrote become me standing for God and deciding He will justify anything? If your intellect is poised only for finding rubbish, please find other victims for it
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 5:52am On Jun 06, 2011
nuclearboy:

Where in my post did you get this tripe?  angry

You are obviously intelligent enough to have seen my caveat - under one set of circumstances, yes, I (ME, MOI) will justify the liar to the wife beater. In another set of circumstances and in his shoes, I'd beat the moisture off his damper. I speak/spoke for myself - where did you get the above?
Or how does that or any other stuff I wrote become me standing for God and deciding He will justify anything? If your intellect is poised only for finding rubbish, please find other victims for it

I got that by simple logical steps. Please correct me at any point in my expatiation.

You believe in a certain God and wish to please him. If you do not please him, you will be tortured (which goes without saying that you wish to avoid this punishment).
This God has certain commands which are supposed to be kept otherwise punishment follows.
You feel that there are certain situations in which disobeying a certain commandment is justified.
If you feel it is justified, then you also have to think that your God will understand otherwise, you will still be punished as someone who broke the commandment.
If you think it is justified and that God will not understand but still punish you for it, then why maintain that it is justified? Or maintain your belief in this God?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 6:01am On Jun 06, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

^^yes i think they are because there is absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION for a lie. NONE!!!!
people should grow up and face reality rather than live in fantasy land.

. . . .

Even if it leads to their certain deaths or the death of a loved one?
In that case, I simply disagree. I wonder if you can actually live by the standard you're declaring here. I really hope you have considered the full implications of such an attempt.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by frank317: 7:55am On Jun 06, 2011
lets take a look at this situation.
there is riot in kaduna, a christin runs into a muslim friends home in order to hide from a muslim mob. the muslim friend tells the mob that the christian didnt enter his home. in fact he lies that he saw the christian jump over the fence some meters away. what would u say the muslim friend did? did he lie? is it justified?

we could turn the table around, it could be a christian saving the life of an innocent moslim. could we still say a lie is still a lie? and it does not mater if a life is saved or not?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 06, 2011
@MRbrownJAY
Since you like to give silly examples to justify your point , I'll like to see you weave your way around this one.

Armed assassins go to a man's house to kill him but meet his wife , getting there they request for him and the wife tells them he just left the house that very hour and would not be back for another three days ( while the husband is actually hiding in the basement ).
Don't tell me she ougth to call the police with armed men facing.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jun 06, 2011
I got another real life example

I was watching this programme on CNN where this Rwandan lady was interviewed. During the massacre a priest had to hide her and a group of ladies in his toilet and everyday the utu rebels would come to his house to see if he was habouring any tutsies and everyday he would '' lie '' to them putting his life at risk.

Lies are of the devil and this man should be put to death , right ?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by turboman(m): 11:07am On Jun 06, 2011
apocalypse:

I got another real life example

I was watching this programme on CNN where this Rwandan lady was interviewed. During the massacre a priest had to hide her and a group of ladies in his toilet and everyday the utu rebels would come to his house to see if he was habouring any tutsies and everyday he would '' lie '' to them putting his life at risk.

Lies are of the devil and this man should be put to death , right ?

thanks mate, this is the best example on this thread

on the same note, Heaven hlep those who help themselves. if i a corper is accosted by blood thirsty islamic hoodlums up north and (s)he was asked if (s)he is a corper, i think the best answer is to say "no, i no be corper,i pick the shirt for ground"
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by airzzee(m): 11:18am On Jun 06, 2011
I get confused about this lie issue, especially b/c it is not always frowned at in some cases in the Bible. Below are all great people in the Bible, who lied for one reason or the other:

1. Abraham denied his wife before Abimelech to save his head (Gen 20: 1-5 )

2. Isaac lied about his wife before Abimelech to save his head (Gen 26: 7-9)

3. The Wise Gibeonites told lies to survive annihilation (Joshua Chapters 9 & 10).

4. Peter told lies about Christ three times, so he cud live to propagate d gospel (Mark 14: 66 -72: & Luke 22: 56-61)

Yet, nothing happened to them all. Abraham became great, so did Isaac. The wise Gibeonites were saved and had a pact with Joshua and Israel. Peter was crowned the head of the church, and made the stone/rock of the church.

On the other hand,

Ananias and Saphira was struck dead for lying. (Act 5: 1-10).

Okay. The latter (couple) lied to the holy spirit; that is why they were killed. So, can tell lies to fellow humans? I am sorry. But I am just worried and a bit confused about this truth n lie issue. God I am not trying to speak blasphemy (God forgive me), I am only curious.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by luluosas(m): 1:03pm On Jun 06, 2011
I want to start by saying congrats to you all, who have spoken thus far. To be candid, a lot of people are reasoning as if whatever wrong one does is justifiable, while others are simply themselves - say it as it is, no matter the consequences. Thank you all for your courage to doused the apprehension of the Op.

Lie is a temptation that, only the people who made up their mind to stand for the truth will easily and always resist it. Lie is a life of TEMPORAL satisfaction that gives the teller the FALSE or temporary sense of safety. Lie is avoiding the INEVITABLE for a short moment. Lie is Satanic and therefore, the consequences are deadly. Lie is a FORBIDDEN life style of a TRUE Christian. Lie is INEXCUSABLE and punishable by God. Lie is UNJUSTIFIABLE, no matter the circumstances.

Having said that, the Bible stands on lie is glaring. Revelations 21:8 tells us' But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death'. (KJV)
"But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." (NKJV)
Again, Revelations 22:15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and[b] practices a lie[/b]. (NKJV)
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. (KJV)

Lies originate from Satan therefore, whoever is a liar is an instrument in the hands of Satan.
John 8:44 "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for[b] he is a liar and the father of it.[/b] (NKJV)
44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.  (KJV)

Now, why do people lie? They simply lie to get an ADVANTAGE of the current situation they found themselves. These includes but, not limited to Employment, Admissions, Marriage, Court Case, Obtaining License, Traveling Documentations etc. So, in order to meet certain LAWFUL requirements, people finds it very easy to tell a lie. Whether you eventually succeeds in your reason of telling a lie, you have a CRIMINAL OFFENSE hanging over your head, which God Almighty only, is the final Judge. So, before you tell that lie, please, look at the consequences of the end, not the IMMEDIATE benefit you are looking for. Remember, NO LIE is justifiable under any circumstance at all.

Let me state my PERSONAL reason why I disdain lie.
1. I usually have this fear that, should I lie to you about something, and you latter discovered that, what I told is a LIE, which eye are you going to be looking me with? This is the only reason that I HATE lie. Again, because of my Christian faith and the fact that, lie is PUNISHABLE by God, I tried as much as possible to be firm in all my dealings. This is not to say that, I don't fall victims most times, but, as soon as I discovered that I have lied, I quickly begged God for forgiveness.  I don't and I will never justifies any form of LYING whether white, black, official, business and occasional. I will rather choose to face the shame and disgrace now than to end up in the burning flame of Hell Fire. God forbid!

Apostle Paul  in the Book of Romans 7:14-25 says:
14 ¶ For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. (NKJV)

Look at what happened to me some times back.
I wedded on the 22nd of April, 2006. Before then, I traveled from Benin City to Yola, Adamawa State in October, 2005, to work under a contractor with Julius Berger, when they were constructing the building of American University of Nigeria, on their permanent site. Meanwhile, I have already proposed to my present wife, we were then in our Courtship period before I left Benin City.
While in Yola, I was tempted with the sin of fornication. I suddenly developed inordinate interest and lust to having sexual relationship. This interests arose from the fact that, all my colleagues in the place of work were carrying women home almost everyday. You know construction workers life na. So, I approached a girl, telling her that I want to befriend her. She accepted my proposer.
Moreover, this girl and I lived in the same compound. The room we were staying in that house was rented by my friend who called me to Yola. So, three of us where sharing a single room at the time of this incident. This is the same room they usually bring their girl friends for their sexual play while I will be pretending of sleeping at the same time in the same room. It was a real WHORING scenario. Thank God that, it did not consumed me then.
To cut the long story short, the day I wanted to have sexual intercourse with my new girlfriend, my other two room occupants were inside the room. So, the girl could not easily fall for me in the their presence. When she refused me of having sex with her, I pleaded till thy kingdom come, she did not give in, so I gave up.
The following morning, my colleagues started to mocked me that, I was begging a girl to have sex with her like a baby. They were so ridiculous! Knowing that I have failed in my quest for sexual satisfaction, I picked up my phone and called my wife to be, who was in far away Edo State, telling her about the thing I wanted to do last night. She became enraged and very furious.
I then asked her, should I have choosing to seal my lips over the incident, how on earth would she have known about it? This was how she calmed down. I now explained every detail of that affairs to her, thank God she believed me. That was the last time I tried that rubbish before we eventually wedded on Saturday 22nd April, 2006.
Meanwhile, my colleagues began to call me a FOOL, for telling my wife to be the things I was doing in a far-a-way State. I told them that, if I truly loves her as I claimed, there should be nothing for me to hide from her. This was the length I went in my situation. I was not bugged by their fool calling, I just knew that, I have done the right thing at that time by telling all the TRUTH.

Now, if you were in my shoes, what will you have done? Tell her or conceal it? Judge!
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by nuclearboy(m): 3:22pm On Jun 06, 2011
@thehomer:

EVERY portion of your response is wrong and I believe deliberately so because your worldview compels you to be insincere once Christianity is involved. Seems putting down reigion is the only way you get a mental hard-on. My sequence - (MINE)

I have a God! He has given rules AND multiple examples of scenarios where I see others (likely better than I am) having no recourse but to save a life or such like by telling an untruth). I have also being provided a mind and intellect AND a self-preservation instinct.

I use mind and intellect based on the principles of self-preservation.

YOUR problem is obvious - you see Religion and its practice as necessarily requiring stupidity and a robotic mentality. Whist you will see that with many here and in real life, if you wished to be sincere, you will have realized that quite a number of us (Christians) here OPPOSE such people and do not consider them sincere thinking Christians. But such make it easy for you to mock so you prefer their worldview to honesty.

Jesus "disappeared" through the mob a number of times before His eventual "surrender"! You would explain those disappearances as lies or cowardice, right?

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Book Of Bible Stories. / What Type Of girls will You Approve Your Sons To Marry / Brother Emmanuel Senayon Vision Of Hell - 1st Encounter (part 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.