Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,744 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? (7458 Views)

My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? / The Bible Justified It That A Women Can Go To Church With Her Hair Uncovered! / Can The Assassination Of A Dictator Be Justified? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Purist(m): 4:49pm On Jun 06, 2011
Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea. - "The act does not make a person guilty unless the mind be also guilty".

In the Bible, we read of Rahab the LovePeddler who told a lie to save the lives of the spies, consequently ensuring that the Isrealites got their promised land; and in the New Testament (Hebrew 11), it was accounted on to her as an act of FAITH.   Even Father Abraham told a "technical lie" to save his arse from king Abimelech of Gerar, and the king, not Abraham, was punished by God for it.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by DeepSight(m): 5:53pm On Jun 06, 2011
^^^^ Simple and short! Excellently said.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 6:44pm On Jun 06, 2011
nuclearboy:

@thehomer:

EVERY portion of your response is wrong and I believe deliberately so because your worldview compels you to be insincere once Christianity is involved. Seems putting down reigion is the only way you get a mental hard-on. My sequence - (MINE)

Why don't you actually point out how the response was wrong and help me rectify it? With respect to hard-ons, what can I say? I like mine.

nuclearboy:

I have a God! He has given rules AND multiple examples of scenarios where I see others (likely better than I am) having no recourse but to save a life or such like by telling an untruth). I have also being provided a mind and intellect AND a self-preservation instinct.

Good.

nuclearboy:

I use mind and intellect based on the principles of self-preservation.

That's fine with me.

nuclearboy:

YOUR problem is obvious - you see Religion and its practice as necessarily requiring stupidity and a robotic mentality. Whist you will see that with many here and in real life, if you wished to be sincere, you will have realized that quite a number of us (Christians) here OPPOSE such people and do not consider them sincere thinking Christians. But such make it easy for you to mock so you prefer their worldview to honesty.

Well I do think it requires a sort of robotic mentality. Such a mentality is needed for one to subscribe to a divine command theory obtained from a book.
I am sincere. I don't see what I've said to make you think otherwise. If you're not a biblical literalist, I doubt that you can make the call of deciding who is a sincere thinking Christian.
Again, I have not mocked anyone on this thread.

nuclearboy:

Jesus "disappeared" through the mob a number of times before His eventual "surrender"! You would explain those disappearances as lies or cowardice, right?

No I wouldn't.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by thehomer: 6:46pm On Jun 06, 2011
Purist:

Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea. - "The act does not make a person guilty unless the mind be also guilty".

In the Bible, we read of Rahab the LovePeddler who told a lie to save the lives of the spies, consequently ensuring that the Isrealites got their promised land; and in the New Testament (Hebrew 11), it was accounted on to her as an act of FAITH.   Even Father Abraham told a "technical lie" to save his arse from king Abimelech of Gerar, and the king, not Abraham, was punished by God for it.

Unless which mind be also guilty? There are psychopaths out there whose minds do not convict them.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by LordReed(m): 7:37pm On Jun 06, 2011
All these replies makes me wonder: Will acting a part in a drama/movie/play (even if it is xtian) be considered a lie?
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 06, 2011
thehomer:

Even if it leads to their certain deaths or the death of a loved one?
In that case, I simply disagree. I wonder if you can actually live by the standard you're declaring here. I really hope you have considered the full implications of such an attempt.

you are missing the point, bro, a lie is wrong whether it is to save someone´s life or satisfy ones pleasures. now if someone wants to do it FINE but dont try to label it as RIGHT or GOOD. where do you draw the line?! if that person has been recalled by Baba God then who am i to try and change faith?!

apocalypse:

@MRbrownJAY
Since you like to give silly examples to justify your point , I'll like to see you weave your way around this one.

Armed assassins go to a man's house to kill him but meet his wife , getting there they request for him and the wife tells them he just left the house that very hour and would not be back for another three days ( while the husband is actually hiding in the basement ).
Don't tell me she ougth to call the police with armed men facing.

facing an act/servant of the devil (murder/murderers etc), lying would be considered OK, ANYTHING IS OK TO FIGHT EVIL lol!
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Patsey: 8:21pm On Jun 06, 2011
Abraham is the FATHER OF FAITH. Yet, he lied on several occasions, sometimes, to advance God's purposes in his life. Deception is, in deed, on of the themes which, to a varying degree, runs through the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and the New Testament. Further, do some readings around what in Christian ethical theory is known as situational ethics. You'll find the works of Joseph Fletcher handy (e.g. Situation Ethics: The New Morality. Philadelphia: Westminster Press). Also, do some readings around the philosophical concept called moral relativism and you'll realise that nothing --even the so-called truth--is absolute.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by MMM2(m): 12:07pm On Jun 07, 2011
lie is necessasary,
becos dis dayz d truth dont set u free, it puts u behind bars.
Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by chinedumo(m): 4:34pm On Jun 07, 2011
Don't Go To Hell
A young Korean artist taken to Hell

you can see the ful story from the link
[url]http://dcicons.org/forum/topics/hells-experience-captured-in
[/url]

In 2009, a young Korean artist who was attending an all-night prayer meeting, was visited by Jesus Christ. She was taken to see Hell and told by Jesus to draw what she saw, so that the world would know.

Artist Speaking: “As I was praying all night long, I was able to love Jesus more than ever. One day, Jesus came and said in my Heart, “I will show you the deeper things of Heaven.”

I thought I was going to visit heaven, but instead, we visited Hell.

As I followed Jesus, I cried the whole time. I then began to hear moans, screams, and wailing sounds.

The punishment for liars.

Re: Can A Lie Be Justified Under Any Circumstance? by Koolking(m): 6:58pm On Jun 07, 2011
Christianity and Islam abhor lies.

In corporate [business] front, more often than not we lie in order to achieve our objectives. typically, to keep our job. In this scenario, is lie justifiable?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Type Of girls will You Approve Your Sons To Marry / Nigerian Raised From The Dead / Muhammad Versus Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.