Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? (10704 Views)

Read, Buy, Sell And Advertise Your Ebooks. / Comic Books As Literature / Do Nigerians Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Booshman(m): 4:58am On Jun 03, 2011
Hello there,

I didn't know what section to put this topic in, because there isn't a comics section. But I digress. I am wondering if comics and comic books have ever had a place in the lives of Nigerians.

If so, what are the most popular ones?

If not, why is it?

- Lack of access?
- Lack of overall interest in the concept? (It's "silly."wink
- Lack of cultural representation?

If it's the last one, would Nigerians be interested in a comic that took place in a fantasy world that included their various cultures? Like how Marvel includes many aspects of American culture. For example, the X-Men and mutants as a whole are a blatant (and admitted, by the creator) homeage to the Black Civil Rights Movement. With Charles Xavier's peaceful approach to mutant prosperity representing MLK, and Magneto's physical approach to mutant prosperity representing Malcom X's?

But I guess I should be completely honest with you all now. I mainly ask more about the last one, because I've painstakingly studied the culture and traditions of various African groups for decades, and I've been in the process of creating a fantasy world that includes a ton mythological creatures (from various African peoples folktales), deities (mainly the Orishas), and magical versions of actual kingdoms of the past. All set on a continent that mimics Africa, in a world mimics Earth. Mainly because I've grown tired of the cliched, Eurocentric, oversaturation in fantasy. Its purpose is for entertainment, to teach life lessons, and to showcase just how horribly underrated/misudnerstood traditional African cultures are on a global scale. Would this be something that interests Nigerians?

(If you are interested and want more details, don't be afraid to ask, )
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Vieira(m): 2:59am On Jun 05, 2011
If done well, yes.
But don't get too caught up in fighting against the Eurocentric view, present your view and let it stand on it's own.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Booshman(m): 4:43am On Jun 05, 2011
(I don't know how to quote, but I'd appreciate it if I'm told how. But in the meantime I'll just respond, )

@Vieira

It's not really focused on fighting against the Eurocentric view, per say. It's mainly fantasy from a different point of view, that will in fact at some point, include a few of the already established norms (European aspects of fantasy) so those familiar with this genre have something they can already relate to. All the while they experience something new. The point isn't to exclude, or make it seem like one particular group makes up 99% of the world. (Two things European fantasy novels are guilty of. Talk about projection, btw!) It's just to change up what is an overdone theme in non-fiction.

But your feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm quite confident that what I'm doing will be quite compelling. But I don't like to make assumptions and I can't speak for others, so I just need a few general opinions. In this case from (15-25 year old) Nigerians, since this includes the cultures of various Nigerian groups. But with a Harry Potter/Dungeons and Dragons/ Lord of the Rings feel to it.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Vieira(m): 9:37am On Jun 05, 2011
I wish you luck, go for it.
You might want to look at your demographic again, check out who actually reads comics in today's age.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Bawss1(m): 8:36am On Jun 07, 2011
^
Was going to say same. That demographic is limited, it excludes the likes of moi. smiley

This is quite interesting. Me and many of my peers grew up reading comics. This was mostly done during my primary school and early secondary school years. Sometime after that comics became rather scarce. I think this was partly due to economic reasons – the comics practically disappeared from the shelves of many stores and the fact that cable TV was the new found love for us youngsters back then. Or maybe this was just one of the effects of the death of the reading culture in Nigeria; comic book reading was no longer a popular pastime. I think the interest still lingered though, we usually followed the stories on TV and continued to discuss them. It would be quite nice to see what the OP has to offer.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Booshman(m): 10:40am On Jun 07, 2011
Well perhaps, I should just say my targeted age demographic is 16 and up. I don't really feel right about having a maximum age limit, since in America there are fantasy fans who are well into their 40's and 50's. Now while I can't speak for the folks in Nigeria, I wouldn't say the past time of reading in America is "dead". It's more, on life support? But all it takes is one great title to spark up an interest again. Look how Harry Potter came out of nowhere and drove millions of American children to go to a bookstore for the first time.

(Now, clearly I'm not comparing what I'm doing to Harry Potter. I'm just using that as an example of a horrible epidemic that was slightly reverted.)

Hopefully with the massive amount of research I'm doing, it'll be captivating for certain African ethnic groups (due to cultural similarities) and people all over the world (because it's a theme that has been "criminally overlooked"wink. I've done more studying on various African cultures/history, than I have for my various subjects in all my years of college. I'll upload some character concept art in a little while, so you all can tell me what you think. grin
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Bawss1(m): 11:18am On Jun 07, 2011
I'm looking forward to seeing your work.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by delicious1(m): 12:26pm On Jun 08, 2011
I used to read comics. That was a long time ago though. undecided
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by eghost247(m): 1:38pm On Jun 09, 2011
Yeah Nigerians Do Read & Buy Comics havent seen the popular super strikers comics sells like wild fire among the kids and teens
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by kabukabu50(m): 2:15pm On Jun 09, 2011
I remember buying my first comics in the late 80s/early 90s in Primary school in Benin,Teen Titans,Firestorm,Legion of Superheroes,Avengers,Blue Beetle, those were the days comics were wildy popular back then and relatively affordable, these days not so much in Naija,they are harder to find and much mnore expensive, but you are right,reading culture has eroded these days,comics got kids interested in science,philosophy and the environment.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by omega25red(m): 2:19pm On Jun 09, 2011
i used to read comics i still do but im more drawn to manga now. I ready the Naruto manga weekly like its my religion. As far as the marvel and dc comics i do more collecting than reading i try to find rare copies and really old copies because they are worth money.
I like the naruto story because the characters are well developed and the story just doesn't focus on the main character it's actually quite incredible how they have fit hundreds of characters with uniqe qualities in that story. If you did something like that i would read.

How far have you gotten with this work? Do you need a colaborator? im pretty good with story development and i'm based in VA
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by birdman(m): 2:25pm On Jun 09, 2011
kabukabu50:

I remember buying my first comics in the late 80s/early 90s in Primary school in Benin,Teen Titans,Firestorm,Legion of Superheroes,Avengers,Blue Beetle, those were the days comics were wildy popular back then and relatively affordable, these days not so much in Naija,they are harder to find and much mnore expensive, but you are right,reading culture has eroded these days,comics got kids interested in science,philosophy and the environment.
Legion of superheroes, brings back memories of phantom girl. I wonder what she looks like now grin
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by dustydee: 2:27pm On Jun 09, 2011
I know just two people who read comics. Not many Nigerians are interested in it. Used to be popular those days but I guess it's not so popular anymore.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Iyineda(m): 2:50pm On Jun 09, 2011
Marvel and DC comic books are the most popular for obvious reasons. Manga (Japanese comics) is gradually starting to overtake them.

Most popular IMO:
- Naruto
- Bleach
- Batman
- Spiderman
- X-Men
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by blackmann(m): 3:25pm On Jun 09, 2011
Whatever happened to that "Binta" Magazine we had when we were in secondary school?
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by WebMonk(m): 3:28pm On Jun 09, 2011
@OP. I say go for it. Yes, access is an issue, but I believe if well done people will make time for reading nigerian comics. Now we've got a fairly decent internet penetration and a more savvy audience to leverage on. Things are different, and I believe ripe for nigerian comics to go mainstream (with effort)

I've done some searching and have seen some really serious attempts at nigerian comics. You just need to make sure you'll see it to the end.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by snowdrops(m): 3:31pm On Jun 09, 2011
what is this recent obsession of moderators in here with comic books and cartoons
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 09, 2011
The average Nigerian is hustling almost round the clock to make ends meet.

What time is left for reading or even buying comic strips
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by friedrice1: 3:48pm On Jun 09, 2011
The era of comic reading is gone, , it's now video games and movies,
then i was a fan of the DC platform
Superman
Batman
Firestorm
The Outsiders
Teen Titans
Nightwing
Booster Gold
Azrael
Suicide Squad
Shazam/ Captain marvel
Blue beetle
Dr fate
Hawkman / Hawkwoman
Aquaman
Flash
Blue Devil
the Saga of Swamp thing
WonderWoman
Green Lantern
Guy Gardener
Martian Manhunter
Green Arrow
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Cogito(m): 3:50pm On Jun 09, 2011
I say go for it. I think there's definitely an audience. I haven't read a comic book in a while but I do enjoy reading fantasy and I've always yearned for well produced Nigerian fantasy/sci fi novels, video games, movies and what have you.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by hlexzy: 4:15pm On Jun 09, 2011
HAHA, SEE THIS GUY grin grin grin WETIN CONCERN NIGERIANS WITH COMIC BOOKS grin grin grin NAIJA PPLE NA COMIC ALREADY, FROM PDP TO CPC, grin grin grin
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Dolemite(f): 4:44pm On Jun 09, 2011
donspony:

The average Nigerian is hustling almost round the clock to make ends meet.

What time is left for reading or even buying comic strips
True but who are they working for? their family right? so what about the kids, children?
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by snowdrops(m): 4:47pm On Jun 09, 2011
fried-rice:

The era of comic reading is gone, , it's now video games and movies,
then i was a fan of the DC platform
Superman
Batman
Firestorm
The Outsiders
Teen Titans
Nightwing
Booster Gold
Azrael
Suicide Squad
Shazam/ Captain marvel
Blue beetle
Dr fate
Hawkman / Hawkwoman
Aquaman
Flash
Blue Devil
the Saga of Swamp thing
WonderWoman
Green Lantern
Guy Gardener
Martian Manhunter
Green Arrow

i was an avid follower of these comic book heroes and many more. i remember i used to draw and paint my own comic books and sell to my class mates. i was only in primary school at the time. smiley
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by marjo: 5:09pm On Jun 09, 2011
Most don't as already stated. Does anyone remember Asterix and Obelix, Tintin, Archie, Safest Hands in Soccer (a footie mag) and all the marvel comics to mention a few. i read them all. As a mother, i buy Super Strikas for my boys and they love it. Once the concept , picture quality , story line , distribution and price are good, people will buy into it sooner or later.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Vieira(m): 5:34pm On Jun 09, 2011
Lets be very clear even in the US and the UK comic reading is on the decline among children, it is more and more an older audeince buying comics, why?

1. Comics are very expensive now, the average price is £3 in the uk for a comic you'll read in about 5-10 minutes.

2. DC and Marvel got into the habit of multiple titles for the same character and numerous crossovers, making it even more expensive

3. Game Playing / Internet has taken over as the thing of interest for the current crop of kids and this has been true for many a year now.

4. The writers of the popular comics seem to have realised that their audience are growing up and hence they write more mature storylines aimed at the these adults but leave nothing behind for the kids. Recently due to the success of the Cartoons, they are now printing comics aimed at kids like Young Justice, Tiny Titans etc.

With all of these factors, walk into a comic shop or even better a comic convention and see who the crowd is made of.
Not Kids.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 09, 2011
Nigerians buy super strikas from mr biggs. i think thats the most popular one.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by kabukabu50(m): 5:44pm On Jun 09, 2011
marjo:

Most don't as already stated. Does anyone remember Asterix and Obelix, Tintin, Archie, Safest Hands in Soccer (a footie mag) and all the marvel comics to mention a few. i read them all. As a mother, i buy Super Strikas for my boys and they love it. Once the concept , picture quality , story line , distribution and price are good, people will buy into it sooner or later.

I remeber asterix and obelix,tintin,archie and hot shot hamish,that was a football comic, but there are some comics that I am still looking for that I lost back then,WW2 comic books about british and american soldiers,They are almost impossible to find.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by slimyem: 7:50pm On Jun 09, 2011
i've got a friend who is a comic writer, so far, he's got two comic books with good quality pictures and a storyline based on really indigenous stuff but i tell you, the sale hasnt been encouraging.God help you through it!
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by kobikwelu(m): 8:00pm On Jun 09, 2011
i was a die hard fan in those good 'ol days,

grew up in the eighties, then we had nothing to take our time,

unfortunately now, kids have facebook, blackberries, the internet, premier league, style channel to occupy their time
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jun 09, 2011
Dolemite:

True but who are they working for? their family right? so what about the kids, children?

Not necessarily family rights but more about daily upkeep
but more or less a less privileged educated citizen with no job wouldn't have the time to buy one.
Also dependent on one's access to comics and a rather poor reading culture.
then again, I can't speak for everyone.
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by 3seriez(m): 12:45am On Jun 10, 2011
Ahhh! Good too see a few comic lovers on this thread, I used to read them alot back in the day. From spiderman, Avengers, superman, X-men, Batman, TN Mutant Turtles, Spawn, then to archie, Asterix n Obelix. But with time they all disappered from the shelves, cable tv took over, playstation came along and boys became men. Dont even kno what happened to all my comic collection till i saw this thread. But i never miss a comic movie that comes out. Marvel studios are not disappointing so far. I think the movies have compensented a little for those sweet years, There's still a market for it i think even though reading culture is on the decline,
Re: Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? by Booshman(m): 1:07am On Jun 10, 2011
OP Here!

How do you quote people on this site? Because I want to respond to someone directly, in this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sunrise in Makoko(A short story) / An Unusual Christmas In Ibadan (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Harvest Of Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.