Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,116 members, 7,807,363 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work (23835 Views)

Project Supervisor Leaves His Students In Confusion As He Relocates Abroad / OOU Project Supervisor: Amazing, See This Student Project / Nigerian Student Laments As Her Sexual Harasser Becomes Her Project Supervisor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by ikorodureporta: 10:22am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:
My final year project supervisor called me to summarize my research work of 2 years for publication. He sent me a copy of one of his ex-student work that he published. It was only his ex student who did the work with guidance from my supervisor, but the published paper has two authors; my supervisor (main author) and his ex student. Only my supervisor's contact was also in the paper.

I strongly believe that's what he will also do with mine. Should I give him the go ahead? If I don't publish it, it will probably rot. Or is there a way for me to publish it myself?

Youngman, that's how you grow..
I have a friend working on his PhD & lecturing with over 30 publications done this way with various lecturers, & I have another one who refused to cooperate to publish his work ...with 2 masters degrees, almost done with PhD, but jobless & wallowing in poverty. I don't think he has any publication sef... Learn how to see the big picture. Dnt be too selfish

Do you know what it means to co-author with an old prof

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Abagworo(m): 10:22am On Oct 25, 2021
That's the norm. He is the head of the research team and will have his name published on journal
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by supereagle(m): 10:23am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:
My final year project supervisor called me to summarize my research work of 2 years for publication. He sent me a copy of one of his ex-student work that he published. It was only his ex student who did the work with guidance from my supervisor, but the published paper has two authors; my supervisor (main author) and his ex student. Only my supervisor's contact was also in the paper.

I strongly believe that's what he will also do with mine. Should I give him the go ahead? If I don't publish it, it will probably rot. Or is there a way for me to publish it myself?

It is joint work. He contributed through supervision. He is your mentor now. You should be the principal author and he co- author if you solely write it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Grandmeister(m): 10:23am On Oct 25, 2021
Back then in my final year I designed and fabricated a cashew nut shelling machine. I did the designing with my father (he is late now) and then went to SEDI in Enugu to fabricate the machine. I spent so much time and money shuttling between futo and Enugu in order to fabricate my machine to my specified design. The machine was a success but I never got the full credit for my work! Well I still have my manuals and design blueprint so...my supervisor had no single input in my work. None whatsoever.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by frozen70(f): 10:24am On Oct 25, 2021
Stronghold91:

best advice

Thanks
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by toprealman: 10:24am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

Stop being too smart. This is part of what stalled the music career of black face. He made African Queen his life and nothing else happened.
It's normal for your supervision to be the first author. This is just one out many research work that you can carry out. Let him "use" you, it is a means of announcing you to the world.....wish I could tell you more but let me stop here.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

Go and check Nigerian research papers online. Look for research papers of phd candidates. You will see that the prof is always the first author. And their telephone numbers are always there.

Be smart. Find a way to tell your supervisor to add your email. Email is better sir cos you can receive it after even many years. You can change your telephone number anytime. Wise up guy.

At this stage, you dont need to struggle with your professors. Be an obedient student.

Sir, if you are interested in research, find your way outside Nigeria. US, Canada, UK, Australia or anywhere in Europe.

In the US, you can even get stipends from your supervisor, and have part of your tuition paid by the professor, or the institution.

You are always under your supervisor sir.

But if it's an innovation and it needs a skill to continue getting it done, it will be hard for your professor to claim it as the skills is with you. But if you innovate it, and he is able to do it also, he will claim it. So, we dont advise students to release an innovation which you should patent yourself while under a professor. Wrong move. Do what has been done before. If your supervisor gives you the ideas and corrects you to achieve result, you are not the owner. But if its something you do yourself and he cannot do, it is better to do such under any professor. Wait till you leave him, and find a way to publish it yourself. You own the patent like this.

Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by frozen70(f): 10:25am On Oct 25, 2021
SimplyFacts:

Abi o, but the fear of the unknown might not really give OP some boldness to do just that.

Yes but if the man can request he uses his project, he should summon courage to ask him to include his data

Worst case he will say no

There are always two answers to a request

YES and NO

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by stanliwise(m): 10:26am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

write your project and sit down in peace. if you want to do something worthwhile. don't do it in a project

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 25, 2021
supereagle:

It is joint work. He contributed through supervision. He is your mentor now. You should be the principal author and he co- author if you solely write it.
Don't say what you dont know. If you don't know something, dont make comments which mislead people. A student is under a professor, and the prof approves his drafts. Who owns it? The one who approves it? Or the one who waits for approval?

Use your brain.

Cc: hilltop007
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by toprealman: 10:27am On Oct 25, 2021
ikorodureporta:

Youngman, that's how you grow..
I have a friend working on his PhD & lecturing with over 30 publications done this way with various lecturers, & I have another one who refused to cooperate to publish his work ...with 2 masters degrees, almost done with PhD, but jobless & wallowing in poverty. I don't think he has any publication sef... Learn how to see the big picture. Dnt be too selfish
This sums up the other issue I skipped....well said.
African man syndrome.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Bigpapi: 10:28am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

Then give him or her
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by xjiggy: 10:33am On Oct 25, 2021
No come complain rubbish here. Both you and your supervisor na the same thing. We no dey research. Na copy and paste we dey do.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by na2016: 10:33am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

OP: Let me advise you and if you like, listen to me.
It is very few supervisors that will expose you to research and even report your research output. In this case, the man has introduced you to research and even what is good to be published at the undergraduate level. Even if the man doesn't want you to be the second author, my friend, just keep silent and learn the rudiments, you will be happy you did. Putting himself as the first and corresponding author is because there are questions in the article that you may not be able to answer, the initial idea may not have been yours, being the first author may give him more points for his promotion (not always the case though), etc. Also, try and keep that relationship for future use.
In my opinion, your supervisor has not done anything wrong or bad to you. Be humble and learn some skills from him! I wish you the very best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Adeeda: 10:35am On Oct 25, 2021
really
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by joyd200: 10:36am On Oct 25, 2021
In academic research, to be listed as the first author does not mean that he's stealing your work. The truth, as far as NUC regulation is concern, is that if there are only two authors, both will take 100% for the work. If you need it for foreign purpose, even if you guys are more than two, you will still earn your 100% authorship.

Final Advise: strike a deal with him to make you either the first author or the correspondence author. He should be one and not both.

3 Likes

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Mbbscentric(m): 10:39am On Oct 25, 2021
deadie:
I have supervised an MSc project that lead to a publication. I was the first author.

I supervised another MSc student and gave her the condition that I will write the manuscript and be the first author. She rejected as she wanted to write it and be the first author. I told her to go ahead. She couldn't write the paper and nothing was ever published. By the way, I am based in Germany. Supervisor being the first author is normal, depending on the input.

Good afternoon sir, can I get you mail sir?
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by houseontherock: 10:41am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

1. He can publish with you, he is doing the work with you as your supervisor
2. If he is a kind one, he can publish and make you the first author
3. Yes, you can publish alone but you may need to pay and still get on his bad side
4. Your research objectives should be able to make 3 papers. You can make one into a paper and even make him the first author- you can publish more from the work later

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by abadiru: 10:41am On Oct 25, 2021
You don't need to disturb yourself for two reasons:
1. Since your supervisor is including your name on the publication.
2. You are not the one to bear the cost of the publication.
Meanwhile, on the issue of the correspondence contact on the paper, it's normal for him to put his contact in case of any correction and other thing that may require his attention.
Your supervisor is been honest with you, because some with change few things on it without carrying you along and you will not know.
Remember that he must have done major work on the project before thinking of the publication.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 25, 2021
You must know how to do Yes Sir, Yes Ma in Nigeria Academia.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by wesley80(m): 10:41am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

It isn't intellectual theft if he is your supervisor. When writing a thesis / dissertation, you don't use words like "I did", "I carried out the research.."" etc but rather the plural forms; " we did", "we carried out our research..." etc because you're assumed to be conducting the research together with your supervisor. If your work turns out to be sh*t, an examiner would heap the blame on your supervisor for not guiding you properly. If he decides your work is good enough for publication, you should be thankful he's magnanimous to include your name. Some would do so quietly and the heavens won't fall.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by hilltop007(m): 10:46am On Oct 25, 2021
MeghaneMorgane:
I think it’s normal. You are working for him. Absolutely nothing here. But make sure he includes your name in the publication. That’s all
I graduated 2 years ago. Currently undergoing NYSC. he called me to summarize the work so he can publish it.

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by marenkurz: 10:47am On Oct 25, 2021

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by hilltop007(m): 10:48am On Oct 25, 2021
eventainment:
Be like Una no want am make e graduate
I graduated 2 years ago. Currently undergoing NYSC. he called me to summarize the work so he can publish it.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by hilltop007(m): 10:48am On Oct 25, 2021
femi4:
OP should focus on how to graduate for now. There are many papers to write in the future. Don't let project deprive you of graduating with your colleague
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by hilltop007(m): 10:49am On Oct 25, 2021
generalwo:
I no sure say to graduate dey hungry you.... U still dey enjoy nite class....
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by ivolt: 10:50am On Oct 25, 2021
like1:

Don't be proud of doing the wrong thing, that you are based in Germany doesn't make it right.
Try to argue without sentiments.
It makes your contribution more credible.
You declared the OP wrong with no reason.

It's unethical, your student's name should come as first author and yours as last author/corresponding author even if you drafted the manuscript, so far your students primarily carried out the research.
What makes it unethical?
The "research" is part of grading for a particular degree in which a student publication is not required
since the OP would have stated otherwise if it were the case.
The work belongs to the university.
The lecturer isn't required to publish the paper.
Now that he reached out to the student, the student could outrightly reject the publication
without any reason or negotiate a new arrangement.
One thing is clear, it is almost certain that he can never get the work published on his own that
is if he understands the work in the first place. Which reputable journal will accept a submission from a
random student who could have cooked up all the data in his room?

Even ethics also demand you should even add the students email as corresponding author.
Which ethics make the demand and on whose authority are you making these claims

With that it is a win-win for all, both yourself and the student. You don't lose anything by doing the above, the student do not lose anything also and everyone is happy.
You still don't get it.
The fact that he did the grunt work doesn't make him an author.
Publication and grunt work are entirely separate discipline.
You would know better if you understand how research works gets published.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by femi4: 10:51am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:
Well, he has the right to publish it since you didn't do anything about it for over 2yrs. His input in the project has earned him that right
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Ingredient88(m): 10:53am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

My brother whatsoever that will not allow you to graduate in peace you will never see it in Jesus name, I think your graduation should be your highest priority for now, done any research, you can continue your researching and produce as many as possible books you want to in the nearest future, Nigerian lecturers they are evil they can do and not do, please think twice.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Ghostmode2two(m): 10:57am On Oct 25, 2021
Grant him his request after all he lectured you on the project work he gave his idea on how to go about writing the project
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Judolisco(m): 10:57am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

ask him to co author you....notyn spoil
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by DBright123(m): 10:57am On Oct 25, 2021
Tajbol4splend:
Lecturers never want their students to be better than them

Not all of them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNIOSUN 400 Level Students Celebrate "Back To School" / Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Announces Post Ume Date! / The Best Business Schools In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.