Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,478 members, 7,781,397 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:45 PM

Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? (53801 Views)

See What It's Like To Be In The Driver's Seat Of A Train Travelling At 287 Km/h (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by lordally(m): 9:27pm On Oct 27, 2021
Prechgold1180:

I have one USA lady pressuring me to come to the USA so we can get married
She even offered to come to Nigeria so she can help with visa and all

I somehow declined bcus I don’t know what I ll face der
I am kinda doing well here and I have over 50 million Naira worth of investment here

So my fear is
I might ruin everything for myself if I travel and to think of it she smokes so hard

At a point I ignored and she threatened to commit suicide

Pass am give me bro!!! Na me go comot suicide for am!!! I serious o... I'll foot her bills to come here...

1 Like

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by OBUKOMENA: 9:27pm On Oct 27, 2021
Skyyoyo:
Did i just read that you will bring your family after 2 or 3 years?? grin. That's what most people think until they enter here. Some will think that they will return to Nigeria very rich after 2 years grin. Please wake up from that dream! I will clearly tell you that it's impossible. You probably haven't even gotten your own Aufenthaltserlaubnis in 2 or 3 years, talk less of bringing someone over.

I entered Germany in October 2003. At the moment i shuttle between Switzerland and Germany.

I don't know how old you are. I don't know your marital status. Your age will determine my advice to you. As long as Germany or Europe is concerned, age is a very important factor to consider before making the move.

I understand the situation of your friend fully well. He is struggling. And please, perish the thought that you are coming to Germany to stay with him. Because it's not even possible.

I can actually write and write and write about my experiences but i know Nigerians don't like to read. grin So i will just stop here until i at least know your age.
I am 45 years old. I have a wife and two children.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 27, 2021
erico2k2:

GREED,cos the average Nigerian is greedy, the ones in Nigeria are worse
How is that a greed?If the grass is greener they won't be committing crime.
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by lordally(m): 9:45pm On Oct 27, 2021
Prechgold1180:
omo I don’t reason like u
And moreover I nur Dey worship white

She get sister?? As you no want am give me am!! The one I had that wanted to come to Nigeria to see me has 6 children from 3 different men!!! Omo me no gree o I jakpa!!! .... Omo if you have another one you could link me up with , it would be appreciated!!!! If she's ready to come to Nigeria that one isn't the problem....my uncle in US can fix her TP down here!

2 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by armyofone(m): 9:54pm On Oct 27, 2021
erico2k2:

Not really, when I was younger me and some friends done back packing across 6 EU countries B4 on pocket Budget trust me, it was easy and cheap

I'm talking about the R&R restful kind of vacation.

Yeah, those hiking back packing camp or field trips type doesn't cost much.
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by GreatrAnalyst: 9:57pm On Oct 27, 2021
Buliwyf:

Dumb mugu. I finished my masters before I started working. Now go and google the minimum amount a masters holder usually gets then google what is obtainable in software engineering and then cry yourself to sleep. It's not my fault that your deprivation and lack is leading you to question reality.
Even if English is not their national language does it mean they can't work with it? They even offer masters courses in English. Who do you think teaches it? Na foolishness mixed with hunger dey affect your brain cells so. No go drink glucose.

Next time smart people are talking better hide your face. I saw someone calling you zombie earlier on the thread and I thought it was just because of the usual political attacks until I saw how you argue blindy here. Na spiritual deliverance you need. Your case is hopeless. What a fool cheesy

I didn't even see your replies to him until now. Some of the things you said here, I have equally said.
Are there not graduate schools that offer their courses in English? Are there not international companies which have expatriates working in them? And so many things I have tried to explain to his ilks. But I guess, he who wants to remain ignorant does so at his own discretion and choice. Now I know why some people just choose not to argue on this platform. Some people's ignorance cries to the high heavens.

3 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by Yoighaman(m): 10:08pm On Oct 27, 2021
WayoProphet:
Lol, stop the cap. You saw that in a movie. This I have seen.

Not everyone is desperate. I once declined such an offer, a beautiful, well-to-do medical doctor in the US, citizen. I declined for personal reasons.
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by swisster: 10:24pm On Oct 27, 2021
Thank you. Very entilled somebody.
Oduduwa707:
OP, you're indeed MADDD!

Na pple like you dey give Nigerians back in Nigeria bad name. Just see your stupid points... He calls on watsapp, didn;t send you money, blah, blah. angry

Why do you expect him to send someone like you money? Your entitlement attitude already stinks sef, I swear! angry

FYI... German has the biggest economy in Europe... so do the maths! cool

1 Like

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by erico2k2(m): 10:26pm On Oct 27, 2021
Joysticks:
How is that a greed?If the grass is greener they won't be committing crime.
cos u can live a modest life without crime but they chose the other!

2 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by swisster: 10:28pm On Oct 27, 2021
OBUKOMENA:
Good evening nairalanders! I hope you had a good day?

So, let me just go straight to my reason for opening this thread, and I hope I would be able to convey my thoughts impeccably:

It seems like some of our people who travelled to Germany aren't doing so well after all (I stand to be corrected, though!)
I have a friend over there whom I am preparing to go meet. This guy has been there since 2017. He hardly calls me on normal call. He would rather call on WhatsApp. Reason being so that he could get in touch cheaply. The first and only time I asked him to send me something, he told me pointblank he didn't have.
Just this afternoon, I heard a colleague's father just came back to Nigeria from there after 21 solid years! He had abandoned his wife and children here in Nigeria. If he was doing so well over there, would he not have arranged for his family to come over and stay with him - at least?

I have been worried, even before I heard this colleague's father thing: I don't know what I am going to meet at the friend's place; I don't know what life is like over there - how to cope in a non-English speaking environment. I don't know how long it's going to take me to make it over there and reconnect with my family. This news about my colleague's dad also increased my worries.

So, I decided I would come on here to ask: Aren't these red flags as regards traveling over there, especially with the hope that when i get there, after 2-3 years, I would bring in my family.
Anyone here knows about life in Germany?

Hey Buddy, I live in Germany and I am doing great. From your post, it is obvious you want to go to Germany without a purpose.

4 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by erico2k2(m): 10:33pm On Oct 27, 2021
GreatrAnalyst:

I didn't even see your replies to him until now. Some of the things you said here, I have equally said.
Are there not graduate schools that offer their courses in English? Are there not international companies which have expatriates working in them? And so many things I have tried to explain to his ilks. But I guess, he who wants to remain ignorant does so at his own discretion and choice. Now I know why some people just choose not to argue on this platform. Some people's ignorance cries to the high heavens.
ALl those thngs you said are there,ofcos there are English speaking coys of multi nationals, they ones I worked with spoke English, well fairly as they have to deal with my company from England. Our contract was for two years, So I learnt much, Now the crux is this Not being able to speak German and write German will limit you by up to 60%,Progrerss is going to be real slow. Even to get the full rights to live there you got to speak and write the language!, But I am interested in talking to a professional on NL who lives and work in Germany and dont speak German.
PS listen to waleochronicles on youtube, i think she throws more lights on this.

2 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by Yaks02(m): 10:36pm On Oct 27, 2021
Ykc2:
if your living Germany with documents not paying any child support oga your doing well ,but don't think once you get to Germany you get their residence visa,for a nigerian there is 50 50 chances that you may be deported,money don't grow on trees in europe,every nigetian want to be like dangote germans don't think like that so don't go there with naija mentality that I must hammer, they jail and deport you, me wey dey talk dey Austria German younger brother country, posche car the founder is from Austria, ferdinand posche, Hitler if from Austria, the Christmas song we Nigerians love to sing, I mean silent night was composed by an Austrian maybe 400 year ago, so make una no carry I must hammer come this side, make una dey go dubai or Cambodia, na work we dey work here na police country with Germany ooh, I dey warn

How stressful is it to travel to Austria?
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by erico2k2(m): 10:39pm On Oct 27, 2021
swisster:

Hey Buddy, I live in Germany and I am doing great. From your post, it is obvious you want to go to Germany without a purpose.
could you shed a bit of light into the topic of living life less stressful without speaking any German

1 Like

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by vikstandon(m): 10:43pm On Oct 27, 2021
Everything is expensive in Germany... You pay big time for Data to browse, you pay a lot more taxes, but by and large their Economy is better than Nigeria.... The thing is, you can't live better than the life of a foreigner!
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Oct 27, 2021
GreatrAnalyst:

You can't say because there are expatriates and english courses in a non english speaking country that mean there are opportunities for English speakers. Between not all expatriates understand English language.

In many European universities, there are programs in English, the reason for this is to attract international students, most international students who fall into the trap of going for those courses, end up been isolated because at the end of their program, they can't speak the native language or understand the local culture which limit their opportunities in those countries.

Expatriates are not immigrants, they do not come to seek opportunities rather they are sent by their company to another country maybe to get more skills, more exposure and international experience, after their term expires, they go back home while an immigrant is in that country to better his life it will be insane if that immigrants does not learn the local language and culture, how is that individual going to get a better life or even advance his career.

1 Like

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by Yoighaman(m): 10:58pm On Oct 27, 2021
lordally:

She get sister?? As you no want am give me am!! The one I had that wanted to come to Nigeria to see me has 6 children from 3 different men!!! Omo me no gree o I jakpa!!! .... Omo if you have another one you could link me up with , it would be appreciated!!!! If she's ready to come to Nigeria that one isn't the problem....my uncle in US can fix her TP down here!

LOL cheesy grin smiley grin
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by erico2k2(m): 11:02pm On Oct 27, 2021
vikstandon:
Everything is expensive in Germany... You pay big time for Data to browse, you pay a lot more taxes, but by and large their Economy is better than Nigeria.... The thing is, you can't live better than the life of a foreigner!
Name one tax you know pls
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by erico2k2(m): 11:04pm On Oct 27, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

You can't say because there are expatriates and english courses in a non english speaking country that mean there are opportunities for English speakers. Between not all expatriates understand English language.

In many European universities, there are programs in English, the reason for this is to attract international students, most international students who fall into the trap of going for those courses, end up been isolated because at the end of their program, they can't speak the native language or understand the local culture which limit their opportunities in those countries.

Expatriates are not immigrants, they do not come to seek opportunities rather they are sent by their company to another country maybe to get more skills, more exposure and international experience, after their term expires, they go back home while an immigrant is in that country to better his life it will be insane if that immigrants does not learn the local language and culture, how is that individual going to get a better life or even advance in his career.
This was what I was driving at someone very clever said i should keep quiet! I did two years there I could just see how life will be tough if I was to settle there with little or no German.
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 27, 2021
erico2k2:

This was what I was driving at someone very clever said i should keep quiet! I did two years there I could just see how life will be tough if I was to settle there with little or no German.

Living in a non English speaking country as an English speaker is tough.Not learning the language is even tougher

1 Like

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by GeneralDae: 11:26pm On Oct 27, 2021
Joysticks:
If Europe is good why are Nigerians with legal papers doing fraud and stealing?Why can't they work and make legitimate income?
Why are most Nigerians languishing in various prisons for crimes across Europe if those countries are greener in pastures?
Because those Nigerians are greedy.

2 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by litaninja(m): 11:40pm On Oct 27, 2021
You want then to send "something" to you? Can you send "something" to them?
You went them to make international calls to you? Can you make international calls to them as well?

FYI, no one is picking money on the ground anywhere in the world, so therefore, double your own hustle.

OBUKOMENA:
Good evening nairalanders! I hope you had a good day?

So, let me just go straight to my reason for opening this thread, and I hope I would be able to convey my thoughts impeccably:

It seems like some of our people who travelled to Germany aren't doing so well after all (I stand to be corrected, though!)
I have a friend over there whom I am preparing to go meet. This guy has been there since 2017. He hardly calls me on normal call. He would rather call on WhatsApp. Reason being so that he could get in touch cheaply. The first and only time I asked him to send me something, he told me pointblank he didn't have.
Just this afternoon, I heard a colleague's father just came back to Nigeria from there after 21 solid years! He had abandoned his wife and children here in Nigeria. If he was doing so well over there, would he not have arranged for his family to come over and stay with him - at least?

I have been worried, even before I heard this colleague's father thing: I don't know what I am going to meet at the friend's place; I don't know what life is like over there - how to cope in a non-English speaking environment. I don't know how long it's going to take me to make it over there and reconnect with my family. This news about my colleague's dad also increased my worries.

So, I decided I would come on here to ask: Aren't these red flags as regards traveling over there, especially with the hope that when i get there, after 2-3 years, I would bring in my family.
Anyone here knows about life in Germany?

5 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by GeneralDae: 11:49pm On Oct 27, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Yeah low paying jobs...continue to deceive yourself
My guy you are wrong. Almost all tech guys I know here who can't speak German are getting jobs. Within the last 1 year, a number of Nigerians have been trooping in to Berlin with direct blue cards to work as software engineers and they work with English.

3 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by GeneralDae: 11:55pm On Oct 27, 2021
erico2k2:

Thats how it is in the west, they pay no notice to certificate, infact I have never seen a JOB that requires you to be masters degree holder grin grin
You are so wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by GeneralDae: 11:59pm On Oct 27, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Cover your shame.

Many Nigerians work in tech in Germany.... grin grin stop spreading lies...don't let lies eat you up just because you want people to see where you are living as heaven on earth....from my little observation, i didn't even see one Nigerian in tech( programming)

This is what i saw, the very few Nigerians i saw working in some of the tech companies were doing repetitive jobs, (arranging orders), customer service, that is lowest job...long hours and low pay.

Another set of Nigerians i met were the club djs, and MCs in clubs and obviously Nigerian students.

So stop hyping nonsense.
Guy if you don't know something, ask. Stop arguing blindly, geez. Nigerians who study tech in Germany are getting English jobs already even before completing their studies. I already know of about 6 Nigerians at the moment who even got direct blue card visa from Nigeria to work in Berlin.

5 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by GeneralDae: 12:06am On Oct 28, 2021
erico2k2:

DO you even know what 50% means??
It's not 50%, it's 42%.
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by Desusi: 12:09am On Oct 28, 2021
Hmmm,your question and request Ginger me to speak out.As excellent as Germany is, l spent 5 years with them.Here are their evils for strugglers- the most racist nation ever seen,they can jail you and poison your food if you hurt them,through fraud,you can be attack in your house or dwelling place without your provoking them,as a Blackman,they will let it be known to you clearly that you're not wanted there. What else shall l say?Nevertheless, the good side of Germany- its a home away from home in comfortability, if you're fortunate, you can easily be multi millionaire, you can learn trade if you're fortunate but be ready to seek for asylum. The choice is yours my brother.

1 Like

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by segzysexy(m): 12:14am On Oct 28, 2021
You nailed it bro.
sosowater:

There's nobody that I know (in Germany) that's is not doing well. I know 3 people and they're doing perfectly fine.

You don't expect someone that went there through an illegal route to be doing well because he won't have the papers to hustle.

You don't expect someone that could not tell the in demand skills or knowledge and go for it, to be doing well.

You don't expect someone that is doing menial jobs, paying bills and other things to be sending money to you in Nigeria because they don't pick money overseas. He has a family to take care of too so stop being a burden to him.

You don't exprct someone that went there and got carried away with the enjoyment - good system, freedom and quality of life to make money, save more and invest.

There are people making millions and yet they can't account for it but there are people making thousands and they have investments, no debts, and are living comfortably.

Every mallam with him own kettle.

If you want to go over there, just ensure that you're going through the right route and then go for skills/education that are in demand. Abtoad isn't Nigeria. Most technical skills, health related professions and handworks pay more because their citizens don't stress themselves with such. They (majority) prefer easy jobs like customer service, office admin, supply chain management, bank teller, restaurant manager, HR, executive assistant, business administration, etc. So, don't expect to get such jobs when there are many locals to do them. Racism aside, employers will prefer locals to do that over you.

Again, try to call your friend in Germany from Nigeria and see how much you'll be charged just for a minute call.

My brother, in abroad, a cent is valued. No money is small over there. If you're not financially disciplined, you won't have anything to show for your many years of working and living there.

Most of those people abroad live average life, which is quality too. They earn well, eat well, have good healthcare and enjoy a working system. The key thing is to make enough money in hard currency and do great things in Nigeria, which makes you a rich man in Nigeria.

Also, if you're planning to go and stay with your friend over there, be ready to have your own cash cos he won't be paying house rent, water bills, internet and electricity bills for you. You guys will be sharing it.

There's gold in Germany and some good countries too but know what you're going there for. Don't go there with the mindset of just doing small jobs that will pay you €8 or 12 euros per hour because it seems a big money when converted to naira. Have a skill or go for an indemand skill or course that will set you up for life.

Remember, make the money there, save and invest.
Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by GeneralDae: 12:19am On Oct 28, 2021
erico2k2:

To be honest, things have changed within the last two years. Germany now accept lots of Tech guys who can't speak German at all and it has been massive this year.
In 2018, your arguement would have been much more valid but not 2021.

2 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by chinchum(m): 2:20am On Oct 28, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

You haven't said anything, someone want a general idea of what it is about to live in Germany you're rather writing this long boring write-up.
That's why I like quora, very interesting not this boring naira land.
The writer actually has one of the best insights so far for the OP, but like most black men you don't like reading.

2 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by Cloud007: 2:21am On Oct 28, 2021
What is the point of loading £10 to call you when I can call you for free with WhatsApp. Not because he may not have fund to call..it just doesn't make Economic sense dear. Besides
..pray well before you go. Your Head is way different from your friend's own Biko..

I remembered when I first got to UK. My landlord did not collect £750 rent from me and also electricity bill for the first month . He said he wants to give me soft landing. He even got a Job for me. Someone I did not know ohh. Is that not God's miracle?

My brother again...pray ohhh yours can even be better than mine. Psalm 114 works wonders too.

Just believe only good things will come your way.

6 Likes

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by VanuatuWycombe: 2:34am On Oct 28, 2021
CrystalSpark:

See this zombie.

Say what you know! It still shocks me that a typical Nigerian (especially a BMC) would adjudge taxation evil. No, Sir! Germany and a lot of these first world nations are self-sufficient because taxes are put to good use. They even have enough to loan your lifeless President.

But no, Nigerians want to enjoy the good things of life, or the lack thereof, without paying taxes.

Leave them. They are just imagining it. They don’t have firsthand experience. Na hear say full dem mouth. Dem dey judge abroad because of lots of their friends and families who entered illegally or overstayed and are having problems legalizing.

1 Like

Re: Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? by Ykc2(m): 2:47am On Oct 28, 2021
Zenithh:

Your write up is so incoherent. Na d suffering for Germany dey make u type like this?

Op come through a legal means...don’t come with ur Nigeria ness to spoil d country for other pple.

That was how this prison idiot of a friend that works as an Admin officer in Nig prison, said he will go for his office seminar/training abroad and then disappear from there. I thank Lucifer,I cursed the living daylight out of him.

You guys don’t know how being a Nigerian is so hard abroad...I go to JFK airport and I am being searched like terrorist because of some few rotten smelly egg.
suffering even during lockdown I dey inside house dey eat still save money ,which legal mean his coming his to?the visa he was giving in nigeria is either business visa or tourist visa once it expires in month he will be deported,Germany is not if you want to come and live you go if is like that every nigeria will like to come , suffering no be good thing

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / Damage Caused By Heavy Rainfall In Lagos Today / When Every Flight In Florida Is Grounded (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.