Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,742 members, 7,802,257 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact (29793 Views)

Cambridge University Officially Returns Looted Benin Bronze Artefact To Nigeria / Germany Set To Return Taken Artefact To Benin / Jesus College Bronze Cockerel To Be Repatriated To Benin City Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Shurtman79(m): 6:31am On Oct 28, 2021
I hope this is not fake one cos I trust those albino's
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by twilliamx(m): 6:34am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:

Just wondering ... what is the meaning of "Akuko" in Yoruba? In Igbo it means "story".

For the topic, if this chicken sculpture tagged "Ọkhọkhọ"does not show that Edo is Igbo, I wonder what else is left. cheesy

Una dey like claim every good thing but una no go claim una brothers wey dem dey catch world wide for drug mulling....
Anyways Ọkhọkhọ obviously means a rooster, going by the depiction and in yoruba it is called Akuko...
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by tujays(m): 6:34am On Oct 28, 2021
Vultron101:
why didn't you mention the Formal education they brought to us, the financial aid they have be giving to your dead government for years now na the bad wey dem do una, una dey first see as if una no dey do bad. You are mentally dotish.
The last sentence is specifically for people like you. undecided
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by OSDD(m): 6:39am On Oct 28, 2021
Vultron101:
why didn't you mention the Formal education they brought to us, the financial aid they have be giving to your dead government for years now na the bad wey dem do una, una dey first see as if una no dey do bad. You are mentally dotish.

So you mean we never had any means of education?.. We had a way of telling time and season, we had a way of counting, we had a diversed language system. etc
Nigeria and Africa in general was never in a backward state, the progress was no doubt slow but never stagnant

Financial aid? They replaced our means of exchange with theirs, took over our natural resources and imposed leaders( with the help of the bastards who betrayed us) on us to threat us like slaves

5 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Vireani79: 6:40am On Oct 28, 2021
Something is really going on
The return of these things doesn't make sense
The white man doesn't give up what is looted.
But I know the bible said religious Babylon will arise
There is more to this than meets the eyes
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 6:42am On Oct 28, 2021
tujays:
told us lies that our god is evil and theirs is good. stole our spiritual gods and gave us the Bible which is their god . ever since then we've lost our purpose as humans, been confused and at war with each other till date. The mental slavery/Inferiority complex in which an average black person is suffering from is story for another day.

This is stupid.. they stole ur gods? Then ur god doesn't deserve any service as a "god" When u should be happy u were liberated from darkness to light u dey here dey cap dust. They thought they were destroying us because they themselves hardly believe in the almighty God. So they saw it as power to enslave our minds not knowing they were actually doing otherwise. Just like Joseph's bro's thought they were sending him to die a slave but not knowing it's God's plan.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by tamdun: 6:45am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:

It is still neither here nor there because the punctuation under the "O" is purely Igbo.
And in Igbo it means "Chicken".
And who told you the punctuation belongs to igbo?

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:45am On Oct 28, 2021
valirex:
Iyare iyare, Ọba gha tọ kpẹre isẹ.

Sovereign Kingdom of Benin loading

Ise

3 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:46am On Oct 28, 2021
Vireani79:
Something is really going on
The return of these things doesn't make sense
The white man doesn't give up what is looted.
But I know the bible said religious Babylon will arise
There is more to this than meets the eyes

I've been thinking along that line.

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Cnach: 6:46am On Oct 28, 2021
FvckAllMods:
These guys really took everything from us undecided
Every thing like What? Stop am o. One may even think these things were made of gold or diamond but it just ordinary baked clay that has no value, y people are suffering themselves over it it what I'm about to know
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Mayflowa(m): 6:47am On Oct 28, 2021
Atiwaye:
Akuko is what they turn to okhokoh.this bini people are too stubborn why they can't go back to their kinsmen in southwest.

It's okhokho. Your tribe probably corrupted the name.
The funny thing is some tthings are pronounced in Nigeria tribes and and foreign nations. Languages are related. Same grammar, structure, diction, phonetics, and appreciation. I have seen my Edo proverbs said in English by westerners! People just think alike. Well we have same blood, flesh and brain angry

4 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:49am On Oct 28, 2021
Qualer:
See how that piece is looking clean and well maintained like it was made last year.
By the time you see that thing in another two years, it will be covered in brown dust and chipped off at various edges.
That has been my worry with this clamour for 'return our artefacts'. Where and how are they going to store/keep them so that it will be available like it is now in another 150 years

If the Oyibo man didn't take them, by now there wouldn't have been any artefact to speak of. I have been to a few of the museums in Europe and seen the way they keep and take care of these pieces (these are people's well-paid full time jobs), some of them have not left glass casings in a climate controlled environment for more than a century and it shows in the piece above. The Ife art pieces in the British museum look like they were made two/three years ago and people pay a gate pass of more than 10pounds to view them when they are on exhibition.

Well, let's see how it goes sha... I'm hoping they prove me wrong. cool

You are hoping against hope. You just rightly foresee the future. You be Nostradamus?
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 28, 2021
executioner:
Instead of saying "stolen" they will say "looted".
Maybe Yiu should check the meaning of looted. It's just as negative as stolen
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by ictplotter(m): 6:51am On Oct 28, 2021
valirex:
Iyare iyare, Ọba gha tọ kpẹre isẹ.

Sovereign Kingdom of Benin loading

Iseee

4 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by tujays(m): 6:52am On Oct 28, 2021
killmods:

This is stupid.. they stole ur gods? Then ur god doesn't deserve any service as a "god" When u should be happy u were liberated from darkness to light u dey here dey cap dust. They thought they were destroying us because they themselves hardly believe in the almighty God. So they saw it as power to enslave our minds not knowing they were actually doing otherwise. Just like Joseph's bro's thought they were sending him to die a slave but not knowing it's God's plan.
Reread my last sentence it's specifically for your kind.

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Mayflowa(m): 6:53am On Oct 28, 2021
FvckAllMods:

You need to understand why this loot happened. Some overzealous edo youths killed emissaries from England. It was a thoughtless and needless massacre because Oba would not receive any visitor during Igue celebrations! One of them managed to escape. At the time, edo people though jazz and juju will save and fight for them. They believed they were invincible until they saw gun fire and bombs. Wait! Wouldn't you have avenge your countrymen dead?

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Trustedpronet: 6:53am On Oct 28, 2021
Maybe dem put camera inside this one wey dem return now we know know. Now wey dem return nam make we see how Benin go turn to london.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 28, 2021
Cursesd people! I do'nt the civilization they gloated about. Civilization of looting and exploitation. God punish the forebears of the Europeans (and our forebears who colluded with them) who came to rape Africa and halt her formation

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:57am On Oct 28, 2021
Guide777:
it's Okuko not Akuko. Okuko means chicken. Igbo Artifact stolen from Igboland and re-stolen from Bini. Since Oyibo has made their own restitution, Benin Kingdom should follow suit. Let's give to Ceasar what belong to Ceasar.

I like your crass analogy. However, Igbo people does not know anything about Bronze Casting. Only Clay and Wood carving. To this day, there's a street in Benin(Igun) that specializes in Bronze work. It's a known occupation of the Binis for Centuries. Just as the ijaws are fishermen, fulanis cattle rearers aka herdsmen.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by AquaUranus(m): 7:00am On Oct 28, 2021
[Excellent fact....author=madjune post=107126236]

They didn't take it from you.

Your forefathers sold them for some token of smoking pipes and mirrors.[/quote]
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Aboguede(m): 7:04am On Oct 28, 2021
EdoDefence:
Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact, The Ọkhọkhọ

Jesus College, Cambridge has returned a looted artefact, The Ọkhọkhọ to the palace of the Oba of Benin, where it was stolen in 1897 and been returned to the Palace of the Ọba of Benin.

Credit: Twitter | shailafennel, JesusCollegeCam

Benin is a provience in Igbo nation

If u know u know

Okhokho

https://www.facebook.com/206270189411151/posts/4824157464289044/
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by SRAROFDAVID: 7:05am On Oct 28, 2021
tamdun:

Akukọ =cock
which language
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by MondayOsunbor(m): 7:05am On Oct 28, 2021
FvckAllMods:

they can keep it

people are hungry in edo state
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by saddler: 7:07am On Oct 28, 2021
powerkey:

I doubt if that thing was from Benin.

Benis don't call okuko.

So you are doubting its from Benin because you saw okuko?

Couldn't your intelligent brain have told you the journalist made a mistake in the name?

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 28, 2021
Why collecting it back?
They would have gone to their back yard and mould another one

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by greatseed: 7:10am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:

Just wondering ... what is the meaning of "Akuko" in Yoruba? In Igbo it means "story".

For the topic, if this chicken sculpture tagged "Ọkhọkhọ"does not show that Edo is Igbo, I wonder what else is left. cheesy
You guys sha like to misinform others, we pronounce differently while you know our language are different. The artefact is simply a sculpted rooster.

The yoruba's call it Akuko, while the Edo's call it Okpa, Hausa's call it zakara, while the Igbo's call it Okpa too, Same with other languages etc. Simple The crux of the matter is that the name of the sculpture is Okhokho

4 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Flier: 7:12am On Oct 28, 2021
Malawian:
Now to Bini people, do you prefer your Oba hoards these artifacts in his Palace, or your Governor builds a museum for it so all Bini people can have access to see them?

Well all I know is in Edo state, the Oba is the law, so if Obaseki does not want to start flying at night without broom, ....
The Governor should build a museum for it otherwise the king or his chiefs will re-sale it
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Buffalo2(m): 7:13am On Oct 28, 2021
Atiwaye:
Akuko is what they turn to okhokoh.this bini people are too stubborn why they can't go back to their kinsmen in southwest.
o sumi oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Quiny32323: 7:15am On Oct 28, 2021
Nebes:
Did I read okuko?

I swear, caught my attention. Unfortunately we don't have historians in Nigeria.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by HornyTave: 7:17am On Oct 28, 2021
Guide777:
it's Okuko not Akuko. Okuko means chicken. Igbo Artifact stolen from Igboland and re-stolen from Bini. Since Oyibo has made their own restitution, Benin Kingdom should follow suit. Let's give to Ceasar what belong to Ceasar.

Do you Know Onitsha and environs was a Bini dukedom just like how Eko was and it was originally Orisha - Ado and was an important Navy city of the Oba which was vital in the Conquer of Idah during the Bini - Idah War of Oba Esigie?

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Chigold101(m): 7:18am On Oct 28, 2021
EdoDefence:

Punch news wrongly spelt it, we call it ọkhọkhọ
Igbo call it Ọkụkọ
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by iLoveYouToo(m): 7:18am On Oct 28, 2021
eagleu:

Cambridge university has it as Okukor.
It was Okukor before the civil war, now it's okhokho. Thank God it's not Rokukor!

Hahaha. You won’t leave Ikwerre people alone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Software Used For Animated TV Commercials? / Meet A Self Taught Nigerian Artist That Paints With Biro ...PHOTO REALISTIC / Some Really Cool Optical Illusions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.