Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,050 members, 7,807,154 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact - Art, Graphics & Video (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact (29802 Views)

Cambridge University Officially Returns Looted Benin Bronze Artefact To Nigeria / Germany Set To Return Taken Artefact To Benin / Jesus College Bronze Cockerel To Be Repatriated To Benin City Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by NtiObaEneke(f): 8:55am On Oct 28, 2021
Nebes:
Did I read okuko?
You did
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Ubanz: 8:56am On Oct 28, 2021
Imagine Jesus college harboring stolen artifact.
The British and Europeans are noted for stealing, brigandage, Plundering & vandalism.
In that manner the new world (the US) was formed.
According to Daniel Dafoe in Moll Flanders,"many a high court Judges and Governor's are sons and daughters of pickpockets & brigands transported of Newgate"
Today the make up what we call US,the worst theives of them all.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Stephenomozzy(m): 8:59am On Oct 28, 2021
AgamaProf:

You expose yourself more. Iyo-okho means husband's mum in Yoruba.

Read who get the fawol... They said Benin artefact. You don't interpret another language by it's similarity with yours.

Then learn what context means... The context of this thread... BENIN

By the way, yoruba is "Òkó" there's no 'h'

Oko that means husband in Yoruba is a prison in Benin
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by gregyboy(m): 9:00am On Oct 28, 2021
bcomputer101:
God bless Oba of Benni.

One of the servant of Oduduwa grin

Highly madman

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by bola4dprec(m): 9:05am On Oct 28, 2021
FvckAllMods:
These guys really took everything from us undecided
Who are the real terrorist ?
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 28, 2021
Stephenomozzy:

Read who get the fawol... They said Benin artefact. You don't interpret another language by it's similarity with yours.

Then learn what context means... The context of this thread... BENIN

By the way, yoruba is "Òkó" there's no 'h'

Oko that means husband in Yoruba is a prison in Benin
All these people wey no no history. The Benin itself is Ile ibinu. No worry sha, nobody dey claim una.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by chrisvic007: 9:08am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:

Just wondering ... what is the meaning of "Akuko" in Yoruba? In Igbo it means "story".

For the topic, if this chicken sculpture tagged "Ọkhọkhọ"does not show that Edo is Igbo, I wonder what else is left. cheesy

So Benin kingdom is now part of Igbo? I think you people are suffering from unknown ailments.

One wonders seriously why these people are always seeking to attach themselves to others.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Depressed101: 9:08am On Oct 28, 2021
Atiwaye:
Akuko is what they turn to okhokoh.this bini people are too stubborn why they can't go back to their kinsmen in southwest.
it's spelt correctly, this is what they also call it in delta igbo
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by bola4dprec(m): 9:09am On Oct 28, 2021
bcomputer101:
God bless Oba of Benni.

One of the servant of Oduduwa grin
servant or child
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Born2Breed(f): 9:22am On Oct 28, 2021
Qualer:
See how that piece is looking clean and well maintained like it was made last year.
By the time you see that thing in another two years, it will be covered in brown dust and chipped off at various edges.
That has been my worry with this clamour for 'return our artefacts'. Where and how are they going to store/keep them so that it will be available like it is now in another 150 years

If the Oyibo man didn't take them, by now there wouldn't have been any artefact to speak of. I have been to a few of the museums in Europe and seen the way they keep and take care of these pieces (these are people's well-paid full time jobs), some of them have not left glass casings in a climate controlled environment for more than a century and it shows in the piece above. The Ife art pieces in the British museum look like they were made two/three years ago and people pay a gate pass of more than 10pounds to view them when they are on exhibition.

Well, let's see how it goes sha... I'm hoping they prove me wrong. cool

These masterpieces are history, they are like books to Benin's.

We have artefacts still in my great grand father's house that dates back to 600yrs and they are still intact.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by ariesbull: 9:36am On Oct 28, 2021
Depressed101:
it's spelt correctly, this is what they also call it in delta igbo
and it is same in igbo...it is called okukor (hen) okpa (cockrel)
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by ariesbull: 9:38am On Oct 28, 2021
chrisvic007:

So Benin kingdom is now part of Igbo? I think you people are suffering from unknown ailments.

One wonders seriously why these people are always seeking to attach themselves to others.
benin had a lot of influence from igbo

Oka is corn in benin and igbo
Ugbo is farm in benin and igbo
Okhuko is hen in benin and igbo

And tons of other words

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by tujays(m): 9:55am On Oct 28, 2021
johndwayy:

So because Christianity came from the whites, that's why we Africans lost our purpose?? Did we have any purpose before? Christianity actually brought light to Africans and exposure too. We would have been worse than this if not for the white man and his religion.
Have you been to Japan, China, Korea and many nations that got nothing to do with Christianity before? They are not Christians and even Blatantly rejected it but Understood and respect Humanity more than you. Christianity Is not the problem, Spirituality is... all we need is spirituality and not Christianity. Christianity worked for its owners the Europeans just like Buddhism is working for the Chinese to understand their purpose and act by it. but Christianity/Islam doesn't work for Nigeria and Africa coz that's not who we are, that's not our path. We would have been more civilized and respect the Human nature if we took our time to ask our gods the path to civilization just like the Chinese, The Koreans and The Japanese. we are living on a borrowed path no wonder hatred, corruption and evil Is deep In our society even when we claim to be more religious than those who Introduced them to us.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by saddler: 9:57am On Oct 28, 2021
ariesbull:

And tons of other words

And your brain decided it was igbo that influenced benin?

Looking back at history of igbos and Edos , which tribe was more likely to influence the other one?
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 28, 2021
RillJ:

Try and find out the source of 'Oduduwa'

The person you quoted is Igbo.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Dozis: 10:12am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:
BTW can anyone please tell me how to produce the under letter punctuation here?
Somehow I haven't learnt that! cheesy cheesy
If you are using an android phone, press and hold the alphabet, it will appear

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by ariesbull: 10:23am On Oct 28, 2021
saddler:

Looking back at history of igbos and Edos , which tribe was more likely to influence the other one?

Sense you no get ....one of the oldest civilisation is Lejja and Nri they are igbo ....igbo blacksmith went from Awka ti benin to teach them smithworks

The present governor of Edo has igbo ancestry....his fore fathers was adviser to then oba

Also Eze Chima was a great igbo man that influenced benin

Make una dey read .. benin to small to influence almighty igbo

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by ariesbull: 10:29am On Oct 28, 2021
saddler:

Make una dey get sense abeg

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by free2ryhme: 10:30am On Oct 28, 2021
Atiwaye:
Akuko is what they turn to okhokoh.this bini people are too stubborn why they can't go back to their kinsmen in southwest.

Ọkhọkhọ is how it is pronounced in Edo both Benin and Esan

if you don't know something ask. Dont always look at issue from myopic standpoint
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by alphaNomega: 10:32am On Oct 28, 2021
Wetin we go use am do?
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Funflipper: 10:42am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:

Just wondering ... what is the meaning of "Akuko" in Yoruba? In Igbo it means "story".

For the topic, if this chicken sculpture tagged "Ọkhọkhọ"does not show that Edo is Igbo, I wonder what else is left. cheesy

Okhokho means "rooster" in edo
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by chrisvic007: 10:42am On Oct 28, 2021
ariesbull:

And tons of other words

You forgot to add that the title of their king is "Obi" or "Eze". Lols

Really, it is not your fault. It is the fault of those that expunged History from schools curricular. The Benin people know their origin and the real owners of Onitsha know themselves.

The king of a kingdom is the most ancient institution in the community.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by ariesbull: 10:50am On Oct 28, 2021
chrisvic007:

You forgot to add that the title of their king is "Obi" or "Eze". Lols

Really, it is not your fault. It is the fault of those that expunged History from schools curricular. The Benin people know their origin and the real owners of Onitsha know themselves.

The king of a kingdom is the most ancient institution in the community.

Benin own onitsha....lets start with...what does Onicha mean in benin

Look at tiny benin that biafra defeated in 24hrs

Make una get gelegele first before una go own onitsha....abi you wan make igbo come finish it up

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 28, 2021
[quote author=TripleOh7 post=107128338][/quote]Little man
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 10:58am On Oct 28, 2021
[quote author=TripleOh7 post=107128338][/quote]Dreaming if you think I read what illiterates send me.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 28, 2021
Bobmarie:
Little man

You're still on this shit?

Alright, let's call a truce ok?

I'll apologize for insulting you and yours and you'll do the same. Then we both delete the crap we both posted up there. Yeah?
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by saddler: 11:07am On Oct 28, 2021
ariesbull:

Sense you no get ....one of the oldest civilisation is Lejja and Nri they are igbo ....igbo blacksmith went from Awka ti benin to teach them smithworks

The present governor of Edo has igbo ancestry....his fore fathers was adviser to then oba

Also Eze Chima was a great igbo man that influenced benin

Make una dey read .. benin to small to influence almighty igbo

Mumu!

How do those rubbish you put up there serve as evidence that igbos influenced Edos?

One of the greatest igboman ever known Nnamdi Azikwe wrote his biography and traced his ancestry to the benin kingdom.

If not for the white men that came to teach igbos how to organize and govern themselves, you guys weren't different from gorillas and chimpanzees roaming the bush.

A tribe without organization isnt capable of influencing another tribe.

Should i give you an example of Benin influence on igbos?
Do you know Obi of Onitsha?

His ancestors are from the Great Benin Kingdom . His royal apparel and his staff are from Benin kingdom.

Pls do not bring Igboid/Edoid sub groups in Delta state into this.

Those tribes have rejected your land grabbing antics openly on several occasions.
They are not igbo. Your five landlocked states is what you should brag with.

Edo state as a whole is about 3 of those your southeastern states combined.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by masseratti: 11:23am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:
BTW can anyone please tell me how to produce the under letter punctuation here?
Somehow I haven't learnt that! cheesy cheesy
ain't you guys ashamed of join join? Everyone knows Yoruba and Edos are cousins so what's your point.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by masseratti: 11:24am On Oct 28, 2021
saddler:

Mumu!

How do those rubbish you put up there serve as evidence that igbos influenced Edos?

One of the greatest igboman ever known Nnamdi Azikwe wrote his biography and traced his ancestry to the benin kingdom.

If not for the white men that came to teach igbos how to organize and govern themselves, you guys weren't different from gorillas and chimpanzees roaming the bush.

A tribe without organization isnt capable of influencing another tribe.

Should i give you an example of Benin influence on igbos?
Do you know Obi of Onitsha?

His ancestors are from the Great Benin Kingdom . His royal apparel and his staff are from Benin kingdom.

Pls do not bring Igboid/Edoid sub groups in Delta state into this.

Those tribes have rejected your land grabbing antics openly on several occasions.
They are not igbo. Your five landlocked states is what you should brag with.

Edo state as a whole is about 3 of those your southeastern states combined.

don't mind him.. Benin was called an empire for a reason.. Not even a kingdom... He should tell you one igbo kingdom.

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by masseratti: 11:31am On Oct 28, 2021
ariesbull:

And tons of other words
please go back to school and know that it's the same thing in igala, ebira, Yoruba, Edo and igbo....

Corn was brought by the Europeans.. Its not indigenous to Africa.

Ugbo, Igbo means forest not farm even in igbo... Stop saying things you don't know online.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Toni19: 11:43am On Oct 28, 2021
Deuteronomy 7:25

The graven images of their gods you are to burn with fire; you shall not covet the silver or the gold that is on them, nor take it for yourselves, or you will be snared by it, for it is an abomination to the Lord your God

Bible prophesy is coming to pass and nations are turning into God because these idols, graven images brought them nothing but wrath of God. Nigeria is happy because they are returning these idols instead we should reject and cry unto God for mercy. When they were stolen, nothing good happened to Nigeria but worse things, now by accepting these abominations, things will become worst because we celebrate evil above good.
Arise my nation and reject these idols and turn to the Only true and Living God.
These are abominations.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 28, 2021
tujays:
Reread my last sentence it's specifically for your kind.
No I won't undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Software Used For Animated TV Commercials? / Meet A Self Taught Nigerian Artist That Paints With Biro ...PHOTO REALISTIC / Some Really Cool Optical Illusions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.