Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,258 members, 7,807,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas (42667 Views)

Subsidy Removal: FG Shocked Over High Food, Transportation Costs / Buhari Is Better Than Tinubu – Nigerians Cry Out As Rising Cost Of Living Bites / I’m ‘Sweating’ Over High Cost Of Diesel – Obasanjo Laments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by another1: 5:01am On Oct 31, 2021
Many Households Turn To Charcoal, Kerosene Stoves
• My Family Now Cooks Once A Day, Breadwinner Reveals
• Food Vendors Hike Prices
• ‘This Govt Derives Pleasure In Punishing Citizens’
• ‘It Has Never Been This Bad In Nigeria’
Nigerians have cried out to President Muhammadu Buhari over the high cost of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), otherwise called cooking gas, in the country, urging him to take drastic measures to crash the price of the product in the interest of the masses.

From Lagos to Kano, Kebbi, Bayelsa, Cross River, Port Harcourt and Benue, many households lamented that the cost of the product has risen beyond their reach, urging the President, who doubles as the Minister of Petroleum Resources, to take urgent steps to make it as affordable as it once were if he loves poor Nigerians as he claims.

Recall that earlier this month, marketers of LPG expressed concerns over the supply shortage and persistent increase in the price of cooking gas and cylinders in Nigeria.

The marketers had warned that the 12.5kg cylinder of cooking gas, which then sold at between N7,500 and N8,000 could rise to N10,000 by December if the government fails to address the crisis.

Executive secretary of the National Association of LPG Marketers, Mr. Bassey Essien, who gave the warning, blamed the hike in the price of the product on the recently introduced import charges and Value Added Tax (VAT) by the Federal Government, saying, “the price of cooking gas may as well reach N10,000 for a 12.5kg cylinder.”

In Kebbi State, a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member serving in Jega, Francis Oluwayomi, said the product has become a luxury in the area.

“Here, it is 700 per kilogramme (kg) and the marketers are threatening that that the prices would still go up. In the past, I used to fill the gas up, but now, I just go there and tell them to sell N3,000 worth of gas, because I can’t kill myself. A lot of people have retired their cylinders and started using coal to cook but that one is even becoming expensive. I am fed up.”

A resident of Port Harcourt, Seyi Abidoye, said a 12.5kg cylinder retails for between N8,500 and N9, 000, saying the situation was unbearable.

“Rent, food, school fees are all going up everyday. The cost of living is getting out of hand. I bought it at N7, 500 just last month, and it has gone up by N1, 000 in less than a month. The dealers are adding money every other day. This is not sustainable for us. Early this year, this same cylinder was less than N4, 000; today it is more than double the price. Only God knows how much we would buy it towards Christmas when gas is usually scarce here,” he said.

According to Nancy Adenike, who resides in Ipaja area of Lagos State, “two weeks ago, I bought my 12.5kg for N7,200; the same day by evening it had become N7,500.”

Oluseun Olofin, a resident in Ayobo area of the state, said: “It is really sad, which way is the country going? The cost of practically everything you need for survival is on the increase. The country is becoming unbearable for the masses.”

Adebusola Ishola, a resident in Ikotun area of Lagos, also said: “A kilogramme of gas, which used to cost N300, now goes for N700. This is getting unbearable for us. I wonder what would happen as we approach the festive season.

“I just bought gas yesterday at N8, 200 for 12.5kg,” he added.

Investigations by The Guardian in Kano State showed that a sizable number of residents have resorted to using firewood and charcoal as an alternative to cooking gas due to the new price regime.

A resident, Alhaji Kabir Muhammad of Tudun Wada quarters, Kano metropolis, said the hike in the price of the product has taken a heavy toll on his life as an average income earner.

Muhammad said he had been using the product for over a decade now due to its affordability and accessibility but could no longer afford it now.

Another resident, Labaran Habib of Jaen Quarters in Gwale local council area, said it has practically become impossible for him to fill his 12.5kg since the price shot up. He explained that a 12.5kg cylinder sold at N3,500 in the state six months ago as against the current price of N8,000.

Residents of Calabar, the Cross River State capital, also decried the continuous rise in the price of cooking gas, stating that it has never been this bad in the history of Nigeria.

A resident, who identified herself simply as Mrs. Affiong, lamented the constant increase, saying she filled her 7kg cylinder last week for N5,600 at the rate of N800 per kg.

“In the past three months, I have been spending more than usual on filling my cylinder. Every time you go to gas station, they give you a new price. It is frustrating and my gas only last for one month. How do we cope with this in this country?” she asked.

A spinster, Anabel Ojong said: “I can no longer fill my 3kg cylinder since the price of gas increased to N700 per kilogramme and now N850. Most times, I only fill a kilogramme that would last me for one week. And it’s not just gas. The price of foodstuff is increasing on a daily basis; the masses are suffering. I wonder why the government derives pleasure in punishing the citizens.” She lamented.

One Mr. Benedict Ekpenyong claimed that because of the increase in the price of gas, his family cooks once a day.

“I have told my wife to cook just once a day. We no longer warm our food; we eat our lunch and dinner cold. I cannot afford to be filling 12.5 kilogrammes at N800 and sometimes N850 and that will not even last for one month. To tell you the truth, in the past three months, I could only afford to fill four kilogrammes. It has never been this bad,” he lamented.

It was the same tales of lamentation in Benue State, where a woman, Josephine Tsueka, told The Guardian that due to the daily rise in the price of cooking, she has resorted to the use of firewood and charcoal to cook.

But she lamented that even charcoal and firewood were gradually getting out of hand. The situation in Bayelsa State was not different.
A visit to some of the gas refilling plants in Yenagoa revealed that the sale of cooking gas has reduced drastically as customers now patronise those selling kerosene obtained from illegal refining outlets known as ‘kpofire’.

The Guardian checks revealed that a kilogrammme of cooking gas, which was sold at N360 in October last year was sold at ₦720 as at yesterday.

This means that a three-kilogramme gas cylinder which was refilled at between ₦1, 080 to ₦1,180 now goes for between ₦2,700 to ₦3,000, while 12.5kg normally which was refilled at N4,500 now costs between ₦8,500 and ₦9,000.

Residents who spoke with The Guardian said they could no longer afford to buy at that price, so they had to go back to kerosene stove while some of them now use charcoal and firewood.

Also, most food vendors and restaurants that could not use firewood and kerosene because of the peculiarity of their environment have increased the prices of their food.

At a popular eatery in Ekeki area of Yenagoa, a plate of food that was sold at ₦500 now costs ₦700. A housewife, Mrs Tessy Binaowei, said: “I was so happy when my husband brought home the cooking gas three years ago because it saves time and I don’t have to wash the back of my pots every now and then. But it’s has become too bad that I had to go back to where I was coming from.

“I have to wake up as early as 4:00am now to look for other alternatives to see how I can boil water for my kids to take their to bath before going to school. The cold weather here and the incessant blackout are not helping matters. “I am calling on the government to quickly do something because the suffering is becoming unbearable and suffocating.”

https://guardian.ng/news/nigerians-cry-out-to-buhari-over-high-cost-of-cooking-gas/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by HenryThegreat1(m): 5:04am On Oct 31, 2021
Apc and general Buhari defenders will ask you how much was it before pdp take over.
I never see people as senseless as apc e - supporters.

491 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Judithjovial(f): 5:05am On Oct 31, 2021
Has Nigeria found itself back to 1983 under President Buhari? Reading about this back in school and actually been a witness bits different. grin

Imagine, missed my first ever Nairaland FTC...
Anyways mark this day, one day Seun will be making efforts to get a coin/token (cryto) for Nairaland community and that'll be massive...
If only someone would look into that and that's a million $ investment floating

Checkout my signature, someday you'll wish you did cool

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Meektunz: 5:05am On Oct 31, 2021
Nigeria is hard, everything us increasing sporadically, sincerely people are suffering.

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Bashnigga(m): 5:05am On Oct 31, 2021
Omo situation critical

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by iamyemiakins(m): 5:07am On Oct 31, 2021
It's #700 per kg over here.
I'm just wondering how the inflation also got to affect gas.

Na Tinubu dem dey package for una for 2023.

211 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Hohenheim(m): 5:08am On Oct 31, 2021
I thought we like to suffer Na, if not why that fool go win 2019 election?

224 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by houseontherock: 5:08am On Oct 31, 2021
This news report is not complete without a response from a representative of the FG...we need to hear what they are doing about it; what they feel about the gas price! I also believe the local gas vendors are enjoying this madness. However, I wonder when exactly we will truly reach our breaking point because as it is, we are quiet because we can still afford to buy itundecided

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by raquel97: 5:09am On Oct 31, 2021
To cook is now very expensive than buying

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Afokesco(m): 5:09am On Oct 31, 2021
gas+beans=ritualist grin

129 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Cutezt(m): 5:10am On Oct 31, 2021
Normal Normal, E NO FIT BETTER FOR BUHARI.

96 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by clockwisereport: 5:10am On Oct 31, 2021
Compare and contrast- last month vs this month

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by OrdinaryNigeria(m): 5:11am On Oct 31, 2021
Soooo saaaad

People who earn 6 figures couldn't buy gas.

I was shocked to see myself buying 2kg gas in my large cylinder. Something I usually buy without cutting a sweat.

It will never be well with whoever hoist Insensitive leaders on the masses. If I can feel the pain, I wonder wat common people pass tru.

Mind u, I earn over 200k, but I cant afford gas . Its a shame. One wil struggle to buy food and cant cook it.

Ur salary is paid as if they are doing you a favor. Such untold wickedness. Man inhumanity to fellow man.

And u wil see these so call leaders lavishing Money carelessly. If God/Allah is there, these people will suffer for the pain they cause ordinary citizens.

Except they changed immediately. Most likely, the president is not even aware because they are not feeding the right information

166 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by AngelHoly(m): 5:12am On Oct 31, 2021
Buhari is bad luck and I wonder how he sleeps at night after all this punishments he brought to us,.....
I swear as a student,is no longer funny cos nothing is affordable now except hunger and thirst
A thousand naira note is worthless, ordinary food which should be more accessible to all the citizens is now things for rich...God alot are dying of hunger
Wrote my exams with hunger and thirst cos after paying a huge some of money,had nothing left but to live on God...
Things are getting worst day by day and nobody is talking cos you can still afford it but what if it gets to when you can't afford it....

May God help us cos if we did not complain,nobdoy will believe us

120 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Actuarydeji(m): 5:13am On Oct 31, 2021
It is very painful that we are in this kind of situation in this country, I am absolutely speechless. I can't refill my cylinder like before. God some zombies brought this to us Sha

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Iceyjayz: 5:13am On Oct 31, 2021
Silly Nigerians will still vote Tinubu in 2023

87 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by luizpippo(m): 5:14am On Oct 31, 2021
What Buhari cannot destroy does not exists..

DisasterBBQgrills and his fellow zombies get things at a special rate so their darling daddy, ask rock hybrid mannequin is the best thing after vulture meat.

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Brushstrokes20: 5:14am On Oct 31, 2021
What the lifeless daddy of brainless buffoons cannot destroy does not exist! undecided

Such an irredeemable, unrepentant sadistic
impoverisher!.

2023 where art thou?

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by lexy2014: 5:14am On Oct 31, 2021
another1:

https://guardian.ng/news/nigerians-cry-out-to-buhari-over-high-cost-of-cooking-gas/

, theraregem1, okefranci, shooyie, joylove2324, vedaxcool, benuejosh, blackpanda, nigerialabalaba, nonpartisan1....your paymasters are really doing wonderfully well moving Nigeria forward. Am sure u guys aren't buying gas at d new rate. Your paymasters are subsidizing for u

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Godyke(m): 5:15am On Oct 31, 2021
We urgently need to all rise up against this injustice in our land or else we will all go down sooner or later. Better still let's find alternative solutions by ourselves and leave this non challant govt out of the way.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Elvixbeatz(m): 5:15am On Oct 31, 2021
B4 I used to have hope In Nigeria...bt after I discovered that everybody including the brainless politicians.. have only one agender to loot and embezzle .. na dere I finally gave up..

21 Likes

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Lanre90(m): 5:17am On Oct 31, 2021
If PDP wanna be wise they better let another APC candidate inherit this government, unless they may find themselves in a very difficult situation once Buhari leaves

34 Likes

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Desmondkk123: 5:17am On Oct 31, 2021
Omo Gas done turn gold . This nation don Dey fall inside well like play like play o

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Ezemust: 5:18am On Oct 31, 2021
Nonsenes.when we were telling ediots in 2015 that buhari has nothing to offer they where trying to kill us cus of tribalism and bigotry.poverty will reset ediots brain

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by Maxymilliano(m): 5:19am On Oct 31, 2021
Buhari is a punishment to Nigerians ...

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by kelechiodo(m): 5:21am On Oct 31, 2021
Really getting out of hand

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:21am On Oct 31, 2021
Buhari want to take Nigerians back to the year 1000 BC embarassed

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by BigYash: 5:22am On Oct 31, 2021
Until Nigerians hold FG responsible for the rubbish going on in the country, nothing will change. Infact,this is just the beginning .By next year that they will be campaigning for elections, the hardship go rise,so that they can easily use money to buy people's vote. Nigerians only know how to attack each other online, over politicians who doesn't even know if they exist grin

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by nedekid: 5:22am On Oct 31, 2021
Weird thing is that you hold elections tomorrow and you will still see those that have suffered poverty, reduced standard of living etc shout Sai baba!

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by akinmusi(m): 5:24am On Oct 31, 2021
Is there no solution
Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by oladipupo2234: 5:25am On Oct 31, 2021
APC government promised to lift 100 millions Nigerians out of poverty.

But in reality they have just sinked 100 million more into poverty.
another1:

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas by ifinger: 5:26am On Oct 31, 2021
E go b

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan Attends Anglican Church Looking Gorgeous (Photos) / Babangida: How Us Invited 12nothern Governors To Remove Jonathan. / Umahi Inspects Various Projects At Night (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.