Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,831 members, 7,802,665 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building (76601 Views)

Femi Osibona's Lifeless Body Recovered From Collapsed Building Rubble / Femi Osibona: Face Behind Collapsed 21-storey Building In Ikoyi / The Collapsed 21-Storey Building Was Sealed By Lagos State Government In 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by Ushman333: 2:09pm On Nov 02, 2021
Use Nigerian proffessionals, buy Nigerian rice, buy Nigerian furniture, grow Nigeria.
Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by Came4amod: 2:25pm On Nov 02, 2021
ValCon888:
Let's call a spade a spade.

The reason why building collapse is rife in Lagos and Nigeria in general is because we do not use the Building Code. In the rare instance that it is used, the Code is not enforced.
In fact, most people are not aware a building code exists talk more of abiding by its standards.

Constructors easily bypass mandatory safety measures through the aid of corruption, cutting cost on building materials and resources.

This building is the epitome of corruption and the epitome of all that is wrong with this country.

We need to get our act together or Nigerians will continue to die needless deaths.

Using BS8110 to design 21 story building without any FEA analysis is a desaster in the making BScode will only be safe when the engineer is smart and leave enough room for axial loads and shear stresses in the structure .. need FEA tutorial message me
Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 02, 2021
That the building collapsed as they were doing an inspection makes me wonder whether they were conducting some testing of the structural strength and whether those tests caused the collapse.

2 Likes

Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by ajl: 2:48pm On Nov 02, 2021
Aufbauh:
Nigerians and their obsession for non indigenous professionals though.
I don't even know how they come to this skewed conclusion that every white man should be better than his black counterpart.

Let me pickup an homeless white man with average education with no university degree from the street of Europe, and we head to Lagos with a fake portfolio of his fake construction company. I bet you the guy would win multiple contracts before most local companies. Most black people, especially Nigerians, are sick in the mind. To them, anything white is better. Of course, it's the game the Caucasian have played for a long time and they achieved their goals. The only way to keep a black man down is to get hold of his mind. They are winning big time.

2 Likes

Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by ajl: 3:05pm On Nov 02, 2021
Cokahot:
They all should be dead by now,na why two storey dey okay for me. Hahahahahaha. The owner and his useless Lebanese and other quacks are trapped inside. Hahahahahahaha. Hahahahahahahaha

Boy, you wicked no be small o. I suppose the head of the Lagos State building agency say the owner has been arrested...?
Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by muheeb01(m): 3:20pm On Nov 02, 2021
Hope they are rescue alive
Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by feedthenation(m): 3:51pm On Nov 02, 2021
StagethemTVee:
Femi Osibona, the developer of 360 Degrees Towers is seen here inspecting the multi-storey buildings in Lagos with his Italian architects and engineers a while back.

Osibona, was reportedly on a visit to the site of the building when it collapsed on Gerard Road, Ikoyi today. He is presently trapped inside with colleagues, workers and security details. We hope he and the others survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqjWzJ_qYBY

---unfortunately no health and safety was taken into consideration on the building site---they are not wearing safety hard hats, shoe coverings or even appropriate attires---
Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by Abudu2000(m): 4:10pm On Nov 02, 2021
ekineme:
Most people without engineering or structural knowledge are just speaking out of ignorance.Nigerians are quick to pass judgement.
Let me point out few things fyi:
1. No structure of that magnitude will be constructed without a detailed structural design and analysis by a certified structural engineer, this is done using advanced softwares.
2. That certification and approval which most people are basing their argument for condemnation are dependent on the results of the design as stated above.
3.The developer can't use a substandard material or go against the design details knowing the implication of that decision.
4. If the design state Y20 reinforcement rod and the producer uses scrap metal with less tensile strength as but same diameter, this becomes the issue with SON and not the developer because son gave the approval for the existence or importation of all the building materials

My point is that most times the fault lies with the producers of building materials and not the Engineers or the construction team.
This same Italian team can construct same building in Italy and it will exceed the functional and structural requirements but if materials are sourced within Nigeria and using same building codes it gives different outcome.

Another angle am also considering is why would the building collapse at the exact time the owner is in the building....it is more than coincidence..... you get my point now.
may j ask when last you visited site sir because if you are frequent on a Nigerian site you will know that structural drawings are useless to them. They have even made clients believe the engineers are no more needed on site, i have over 6 designs now on construction, the client refused to do a structural drawing. One of them was a bongallow and the client increased the floor without my permission, they are even using the same 12mm reforcement. I asked the client why and he said the baba has built 6hotels so he knows his onions. Believe me clients are to blame not the structural engineers , alot of structural engineers don't get jobs now and some are broke because the clients refused to follow their specifications and they had to back of the deal.
I designed a 1.2m cantilever for a client and the he-goat said he will supervise the project himself. He was even keeping me from his site till one fay i came unannounced, they changed everything on paper, where there were gridlines indicating columns thr baba told him no need for anything there.

My conclusion, clients are totally responsible for building collapse because everyone on the team does what they say.

3 Likes

Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by SEGLIZ: 6:43pm On Nov 02, 2021
hansomb:

Word on marble

I'm humbled.

this is the way I feel and see our situation in this country.

1 Like

Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by Joydan95: 8:46pm On Nov 02, 2021
Antoeni:
They Approveed 15 Stories. In your Wisdom you Added 6 More Story, Clap for yourself
SHARP AND SMART GUY
He wanted to make it 22 storeys

1 Like

Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by Joydan95: 8:55pm On Nov 02, 2021
jomarick:
Anyone blaming the architects is wrong. The job of an architect is only to make the building plan and design on paper or CAD. The engineers works on the design layout and proceed with construction. The big question is who are the engineers?
Have you not been following the news? The initial engineers withdrew cos the architect was trying to compromise on somethings reason why they gave a public statement that they cannot take blame for anything that happens to the building from the 4th floor. So it’s obvious that the architect influences the next engineer to add 6 more jara storeys to the initial approved 15 storeys.
Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by Milito: 11:44am On Nov 03, 2021
ajl:

Let me pickup an homeless white man with average education with no university degree from the street of Europe, and we head to Lagos with a fake portfolio of his fake construction company. I bet you the guy would win multiple contracts before most local companies. Most black people, especially Nigerians, are sick in the mind. To them, anything white is better. Of course, it's the game the Caucasian have played for a long time and they achieved their goals. The only way to keep a black man down is to get hold of his mind. They are winning big time.

You guys are just being sentimental. I've worked with our people and also with expatriates. Expatriates are not just Expatriates in colour of skin alone. Most of them have extensive international experience on projects in different parts of the world.

They are usually also more professional, business minded, detailed and time conscious. That is not to say our people don't also have this quality, but the percentage is little and they usually come with a baggage of many stories, issues and entitlement mentality.

I don't blame them anyways. They are here with their families with all the usual issues of life, while the Expatriates are here solely for work and so have more concentration.

That is why a lot of Nigerian business people does not have time for our plenty wahala, they just get an expatriate to get the work done within a specific and defined time frame, pay him his money and move on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by blackman007: 9:41pm On Nov 04, 2021
StagethemTVee:
Femi Osibona, the developer of 360 Degrees Towers is seen here inspecting the multi-storey buildings in Lagos with his Italian architects and engineers a while back.

Osibona, was reportedly on a visit to the site of the building when it collapsed on Gerard Road, Ikoyi today. He is presently trapped inside with colleagues, workers and security details. We hope he and the others survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqjWzJ_qYBY

Chai, na dat hin belle go first burst, like balloon, karma is indeed a bitch
Re: Femi Osibona & Italian Architects At The Top Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building by warlordd(m): 10:12pm On Nov 04, 2021
Those who cut corners always cut into trouble.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chinese Company Erects Luxury 10-Storey Apartment Building In 28 Hours (Photos) / Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. / Tutorial: How Many Packet Of Floor Tiles Do You Need To Tile A Room?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.