Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,438 members, 7,801,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency (31415 Views)

Ikoyi Collapsed Building: Style Of Rescuing Can Even Kill, Lady Yells At NEMA / IGP Usman Baba At Ikoyi Collapsed Building Site / Driver Weeps As His Passenger Is Trapped In The Ikoyi Collapsed Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 02, 2021
luizpippo:

They are only interested in the oversight allowance and the sorting they get from contractors who cut corners.

Likely the reality on the ground. Sad.

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Rilwayne001: 10:17am On Nov 02, 2021
These people worship money so much you start thinking money makes one immortal.

Sure if It had remained in 15, he’d still see his profit on the whole thing. But he wanted to double the money and now everything’s lost including people’s lives.

Human being why!!!!?
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by BestRicePlug28(f): 10:25am On Nov 02, 2021
Dsalvo:

They should not be able to unless the regulatory body in this case is legally allowed to simply issues building consent permit without regular compliance inspections.

Otherwise those who should have oversight responsibility, on ensuring compliance with approved plans, should be in big trouble also.

In the UK, for example, even extending or significantly modifying your own private property will involve several visits from the building regulators from the local council, at key stages of work, to ensure you are complying with stipulated guidelines and conforming to the precise approved plan.

I can't imagine why this would not be even more important for a 15 storey building in a built-up area.

When money is involved and private pockets are involved in the picture, these guys would clearly make sure they don't go down with him. Documentations or no documentations.
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Tochj(m): 10:28am On Nov 02, 2021
This guy should be locked up in the same Room with the owner of the house
You approved 15 and watch him building 21 and do nothing.
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Silentmoni(m): 10:53am On Nov 02, 2021
He got approval 4 15floors,the materials used are so inferior, so what happened 2d monitoring teams?same people that floods my site everyday wen i was building my 1storey duplex to inspect almost everything....probably becoz the contractor is a big name and the people that are suppose to do due deligence has been given fat envelopes 2neglect standards....i think its high time government too are held accountable 4negligence of thier duty....

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Elxandre(m): 11:05am On Nov 02, 2021
calculator123:
Believe it or not, this is proof that power can sometimes override common sense. The owner of the building was a stubborn man, how the hell do you add extra load on a building of this magnitude? Even before the collapse, anyone who passes Gerrard road and knows that building can see clearly it leaned slightly to the side. That's proof it was impending disaster.

Some of the Mason that survived said cements were peeling off the pillars but the said man asked them to patch it up with plasters. The owner of the building is the elder brother of the SA to Vp Osibanjo, it makes sense as to why the building was unsealed. On a normal day, that building should have been brought down since last year.

Sadly, the stubborn he-goat took innocent would with him. Sad embarassed
Took with him how?
He's said to have been arrested in this article.
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by one4GOD(f): 11:09am On Nov 02, 2021
ijustdey:

The owner of the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi was given approval to construct only 15 floors....

https://dailytrust.com/ikoyi-collapsed-building-we-approved-15-floors-but-owner-built-21-floors-agency
and the extra floors was done at night shey? Idiots. If it's one poor man now trying to utilize his half plot nah so officials and omo oni-were will not let him rest. Talk about National shame. Sorry I forgot they dont have any sense of shame.
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by jimtemi1: 11:19am On Nov 02, 2021
When Doctors ask u to take 1pills and u took 2..that the results u loose millions of naira, and u will still start to rebuild again.. That wastage, just simple instructions u cant follow build 15, u went for 21..i no blame u.president dosent listen, and u expect the citizens to?
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Sammerboi: 11:39am On Nov 02, 2021
It’s time Sanwolu fire the directors and his staff in that agency for negligence. You can’t blame the owner too much since there are those who are suppose to supervise the building and make sure it’s conform to Lagos state standard. How many time we’ve been hearing of collapsed building in Lagos. It’s one too many and time for the governor to act.
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Bhol28: 12:00pm On Nov 02, 2021
younglleo:
The yoruba contractor no refuse to make am 21 with those inferior material!
He was jst after his own pocket!
Arrest him too!
Afonja ajoka
tribal warrior.Always very quick to speak tribe.
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by PeachtreeReside(f): 12:19pm On Nov 02, 2021
hisgrace090:
Maybe after seeing how much was spend on the foundation he thought it can carry more load, not knowing it doesn't work that way.
Going above the engineering calculation is always disastrouse.

I hope we learn
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Zainabthegirl1(f): 12:29pm On Nov 02, 2021
Oga oh
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by gorit16: 12:33pm On Nov 02, 2021
After Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) has given the approval,why can they monitor the construction of the building ?
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Yankee101: 12:52pm On Nov 02, 2021

“He got an approval for a 15-storey building and he exceeded his limit. I am on ground here and the materials he used are so inferior and terrible.”
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by calculator123(m): 1:55pm On Nov 02, 2021
Elxandre:

Took with him how?
He's said to have been arrested in this article.

He was in the building when it collapsed
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Generalissimo75(m): 2:16pm On Nov 02, 2021
iyke2frankeze:

Oga that letter is a desperate attempt to prevent the remaining buildings from been pulled down. That letter was backdated claiming that they are comfortable with the remaining two except the one that collapsed. It is Nigerians and their level of desperation.

Your opinion
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Kyf1: 5:46pm On Nov 02, 2021
Really
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by goodman55: 5:50pm On Nov 02, 2021
This man doesn't know his job at all. A building of 15-storey approved by your office and your colleagues who were in charged of visiting and monitoring the building site took bribes not to tell you that the owner increased it to 21-storey and you kept quiet abi and even the materials he used you were even aware of the inferiority of those materials yet you didn't sanction him/her and you're here saying all this. You will be dealt with. Even in Abuja here they're doing the same thing naw. The owners disregard us the structural engineers on site. God will exposed them all.
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by ivolt: 6:30pm On Nov 02, 2021
IMASTEX:

What is the duty of a government then?
How come FRSC books one without using seat bet, after all the usage is for the individual protection alone.
Seat belt is not for the individual protection alone. Read more about it.
You could drive within your compound even without closing your car door
and no one will bother you.
That said, if you believe the seat belt law is wrong, start working against it in a democratic way.

Why will government arrest you for trying to commit suicide or isn't it your life?
Suicide as a crime(only public one) is usually the product of dysfunctional, theocratic government or a relic of colonial laws. If someone attempts suicide in their room, they won't be bothered.

In any case, in many countries, attempted suicide is not a crime.

Why should government invest finance & human resources to intelligent policing, when they could have just say, citizens please don't commit crime and leave it at that.
Now, you have partly acknowledged the real function of government which is maintaining law and order. Even with this, crime happens everywhere and no reasonable person expect any government to prevent all crimes.

Your thinking is why Nigeria will never get the right people in power. After all, anything goes and they don't owe no one any responsibilities.
Your arguments despite the lack of legal and civic education is actually why we have many problems because you like the majority can't even see the real problem.

The government is not your personal body guard to help you move around safely during your normal working day.

If a regulatory agency marks your building for violation, you have not committed any crime.
If you secretly continue the construction, you have not committed any crime even when found out. They could get a court order to demolish the building or place heavy fine or even revoke the contractors license if the law permits it. Still, no crime have been committed yet.

You are probably shocked that such "impunity" is allowed to take place but that is the norm unless you are planning to move to North Korea or change existing laws to start punishing people for what they have not done yet.

When government go heavy on rule violators, many of you brand them tyrant.

If the owner of this building survives and is charged, I can assure you that building more than allowed will not be the main legal issue but the fact that people died on the site.
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by iyke2frankeze: 6:41pm On Nov 02, 2021
Annie001:

You mean in the space of disaster they quickly cane up with that?
A company will put their reputation on the line?
You people will never get tired of conspiracy theory

There is nothing a Yoruba man cannot do because of money but mark my word, the remaining houses will soon come down.
Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Stanchem029: 8:41pm On Nov 02, 2021
Tenim:
Please forgive me, if I can help myself I won't be begging, please come to my aid, I've been seeking assistance on nairaland, my name is Anthony, am 29 year of age 4rm EnuguState. I have an accident 13 year ago which led to paraplegia injure of my spine. I survive it and have been managing with it since then because of my aged mother that took care of me for almost 13 years now. I can't make a living because my hands is patialy affected due to my injury. problem is that life have been very hard for us lately and my mother diabetic, to buy food and drugs is hard, my family have been supporting us but not can't anymore. I also develop severe urinary tract problem because am unable to change carthretar often and also because am not able treat myself because no money for hospital and medical need like supplements, diaper, drugs, etc. also no money for feeding we depend on farm but we can't due my mother health. please we beg well meanin Nigerian s to pls show us mercy and pls help us, pls nothing is to o small. And to any N.G.O that can accept me in this condition pls. more detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQ9GouQFm4

Anthony m okeke is a cursed scammer from the pit of hell
21[/color][color=black]0[color=black][/color]
UBA

Re: Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency by Babinski: 11:00pm On Nov 02, 2021
bennytfi:
You approved 15 he built more than that and you didn't sanction him. How then will others learn

Where was the agency when he was violating the approval and mounting more than 15 floors? Why is it now they know he was using inferior materials? The family of the deceased need to bring a class action suit against the Lagos State Government asking for billions of naira in punitive damages! The Government is expected to protect the public and not make excuses.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

200 Houses To Go As Wike Orders Demolition Of Abuja Village For Presidential Plo / Osamede Adun's Complex In Benin Demolished By Authorities (Photos) / Man Shares Photos Of His Flooded Compound After Heavy Rainfall In Awka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.