Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie (12600 Views)

Please Can I Join The Programming World With A Smartphone / Into The Programming World / What Are The Programming Languages Required To Make Interesting Cartoons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sosowater: 7:36am On Nov 03, 2021
This thread is inspired by the programming diary created by MirthOsas.

I am relatively new to programming. I started learning web development (started with HTML on W3school) in 2018 but my freelancing and ecommerce business could not let me focus coupled with the fact that I found it boring then.

Since this year, I have been nursing the idea of getting into Tech.

I wanted Data science but my mind kept telling me "web development".

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sosowater: 7:42am On Nov 03, 2021
Since I have some spare time now due to the nature of my business, I decided to learn web development again last month.

This time, I watched videos on HTML and practised along with the tutors and I can say that I am well grounded in HTML now.

I dedicated 3 weeks in October for HTML with a lot of practice.

On November 1st, I switched to CSS and it has been a great learning experience.

I think watching videos and practicing a lot helps more than just reading books or watching videos withput practice.

I plan to build my first project with just HTML and CSS to test my abilities.

Recommendations, motivation, and valuable criticism are welcomed.

Also, special thanks to tensazangetsu20. The dude really motivates me.

PS: I am starting this journey at my early 30s.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by MirthOsas(m): 9:45am On Nov 03, 2021
Nice one Sir, I sincerely pray we don't lose our consistency, dedication and motivation.

Better days ahead. smiley

11 Likes

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sosowater: 10:28am On Nov 03, 2021
MirthOsas:
Nice one Sir, I sincerely pray we don't lose our consistency, dedication and motivation.

Better days ahead. smiley

Surely, we won't. Thanks for dropping by.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sosowater: 8:30pm On Nov 04, 2021
Yesterday, I rounded up with CSS basics. Today, I practiced what I learnt with a new HTML file that I created.

I had a tough time with padding and margins but later got it.

By midnight, I'll practice more on paddings and margins so that they can "stick".

Also, I will venture into Flexbox after the practice. Next stop after Flexbox would be CSS animations.

I'm enjoying my spare time with this. I heard JavaScript isn't child's play but I can't wait to meet it.

13 Likes

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by airsaylongcome: 3:51pm On Nov 05, 2021
sosowater:
Since I have some spare time now due to the nature of my business, I decided to learn web development again last month.

This time, I watched videos on HTML and practised along with the tutors and I can say that I am well grounded in HTML now.

I dedicated 3 weeks in October for HTML with a lot of practice.

On November 1st, I switched to CSS and it has been a great learning experience.

I think watching videos and practicing a lot helps more than just reading books or watching videos withput practice.

I plan to build my first project with just HTML and CSS to test my abilities.

Recommendations, motivation, and valuable criticism are welcomed.

Also, special thanks to tensazangetsu20. The dude really motivates me.

PS: I am starting this journey at my early 30s.

My brother, age is not a barrier. I started programming around age 14 on a very antiquated computer. Those ones that were just a keyboard that you connect to a TV and drop into command line. Programmed in QBASIC. Saved the programs on a radio cassette. I was clueles about what I was doing but I was just typing the code from the book I was learning from. Fast forward to University and all I was doing was making sense. I was so good that I wrote my first programming exam 2 hours after coming from club and made an A. Programing I, II and CSC205-Data Structures and Algorithm were a breeze. This was back in the days of Redhat 3 I think. Then I got disillusioned and derailed. At 30 my senses came back and I had to refresh my Programming skills. Programming had migrated to Web Programming with PHP as king. I struggled to get HTML and CSS and PHP /mySQL into the the brain. But old soldier never dies. I went back to my C++ & Java jeje and OOP programming. The joy was undescribable. I have had highs and major lows (lost a job in a major Nigerian Gas Company that was paying ₦1.9m monthly at the time - we are talking years ago when dollar was ₦350). Went in to supply chain management and did Okay. But the pull from computing was too much. Came back into computing mid thirties and I must say I'm okay doing this. Persistence is key. You will overcome Las Las and will look at this learning period with joy.

I'm surprised (and pleased) that MirthOsas is encouraging you. I'm aware he is still learning the ropes and for some reason I like his spirit.

Edit (07/02/22): I was wondering why this post written months ago was suddenly getting likes. Thread hit FP lol. Talk that was going on quietly in the Programming section backwaters

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by remi1444: 4:01pm On Nov 05, 2021
sosowater:
Yesterday, I rounded up with CSS basics. Today, I practiced what I learnt with a new HTML file that I created.

By midnight, I'll practice more on paddings and margins so that they can "stick".

Also, I will venture into Flexbox after the practice. Next stop after Flexbox would be CSS animations.

I'm enjoying my spare time with this. I heard JavaScript isn't child's play but I can't wait to meet it.
There's a secret I've learnt with styling using CSS. when you want to have a clearer picture of what you're doing, use BORDER: 2px solid black; for the element you're trying to style that way you can see the "result" better. Although this doesn't mean that you will automatically achieve what you set out to achieve.

Keep learning you'll be "frustrated" but just keep at it you'll be fine.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by LikeAking: 4:29pm On Nov 05, 2021
Op gud luck to you.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sosowater: 8:52pm On Nov 05, 2021
airsaylongcome:

My brother, age is not a barrier. I started programming around age 14 on a very antiquated computer. Those ones that were just a keyboard that you connect to a TV and drop into command line. Programmed in QBASIC. Saved the programs on a radio cassette. I was clueles about what I was doing but I was just typing the code from the book I was learning from. Fast forward to University and all I was doing was making sense. I was so good that I wrote my first programming exam 2 hours after coming from club and made an A. Programing I, II and CSC205-Data Structures and Algorithm were a breeze. This was back in the days of Redhat 3 I think. Then I got disillusioned and derailed. At 30 my senses came back and I had to refresh my Programming skills. Programming had migrated to Web Programming with PHP as king. I struggled to get HTML and CSS and PHP /mySQL into the the brain. But old soldier never dies. I went back to my C++ & Java jeje and OOP programming. The joy was undescribable. I have had highs and major lows (lost a job in a major Nigerian Gas Company that was paying ₦1.9m monthly at the time - we are talking years ago when dollar was ₦350). Went in to supply chain management and did Okay. But the pull from computing was too much. Came back into computing mid thirties and I must say I'm okay doing this. Persistence is key. You will overcome Las Las and will look at this learning period with joy.

I'm surprised (and pleased) that MirthOsas is encouraging you. I'm aware he is still learning the ropes and for some reason I like his spirit.

Wow. I'm inspired. Thanks for dropping by. I'm more encouraged to carry on.

I'll keep visiting this message to remind myself about not giving up.

I appreciate big time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sosowater: 8:53pm On Nov 05, 2021
LikeAking:
Op gud luck to you.

Thank you bro
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sosowater: 8:54pm On Nov 05, 2021
remi1444:
There's a secret I've learnt with styling using CSS. when you want to have a clearer picture of what you're doing, use BORDER: 2px solid black; for the element you're trying to style that way you can see the "result" better. Although this doesn't mean that you will automatically achieve what you set out to achieve.

Keep learning you'll be "frustrated" but just keep at it you'll be fine.

Thank you man. I'll keep pushing.

Thank you guys for the motivation and tips.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sosowater: 8:49am On Nov 08, 2021
I had a good weekend with a lot of practices. It was awesome practicing what I've learnt over and over again.

Yesterday, I started learning Flexbox and I didn't have any difficulty adapting to it. Today till Wednesday will be for practicing Flexbox using some ideas that came to me and some websites too.

Also, I'll get my hands on Grid. It's been a fast and effective learning process because my busin6gives me a lot of time and since I work from home, I am always on system learning and learning.

Before heading to JavaScript, I plan to build two or three websites with just HTML5 and CSS.

After that, I can proceed to JavaScript.

How I wish that I took this serious in 2018 when I started, I would have gone far, who knows..

But, I'm here now and won't back off again

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by sevenmentor44: 11:14am On Dec 06, 2021
Nice information about Java. Learn JAVA Certification Course in Pune in Affordable Fees from Best JAVA Trainingin Institute in Pune in Classroom or Online Training in Short Duration from Experts with Free Job Placement Support.

https://namer.tribe.so/post/what-is-java-innovation-and-for-what-reason-do-i-want-it-learn-java-certifi--61addd0bf53269089829733c
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by IMO01: 12:20pm On Dec 06, 2021
sosowater:
I had a good weekend with a lot of practices. It was awesome practicing what I've learnt over and over again.

Yesterday, I started learning Flexbox and I didn't have any difficulty adapting to it. Today till Wednesday will be for practicing Flexbox using some ideas that came to me and some websites too.

Also, I'll get my hands on Grid. It's been a fast and effective learning process because my busin6gives me a lot of time and since I work from home, I am always on system learning and learning.

Before heading to JavaScript, I plan to build two or three websites with just HTML5 and CSS.

How I wish that I took this serious in 2018 when I started, I would have gone far, who knows..

How is your web development going
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Galapagous(m): 1:02pm On Feb 06, 2022
Mehn it isn't easy, I went into programming late last year, took an online course and current I think I've been able to scale through HTML and CSS looking forward to JavaScript react and git, then maybe mysql.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by dewitt(m): 1:31pm On Feb 07, 2022
Keep pushing
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 07, 2022
Lol once in a while our mods remember we have a programming section

6 Likes

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Sirmuel1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 07, 2022
sosowater:
This thread is inspired by the programming diary created by MirthOsas.

I am relatively new to programming. I started learning web development (started with HTML on W3school) in 2018 but my freelancing and ecommerce business could not let me focus coupled with the fact that I found it boring then.

Since this year, I have been nursing the idea of getting into Tech.

I wanted Data science but my mind kept telling me "web development".

Let's connect on WhatsApp, please
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Creamz(m): 1:33pm On Feb 07, 2022
Nice one...I am looking to start learning as well
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by PlaysNigeria: 1:33pm On Feb 07, 2022
Interesting, keep going
You seem interested in frontend, you could dive deeper in web design. Web development/server side programming like PHP etc are really broad and would take you years.
Kudos, Good luck.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Nobody: 1:37pm On Feb 07, 2022
sosowater:

Freecodecamp should help you a lot
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by FuckDModz: 1:39pm On Feb 07, 2022
sosowater:

Check freecodecamp.org and thank me later
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by weblord1900: 1:41pm On Feb 07, 2022
I think the mod handling nairaland's programming section should be changed. Update us
sosowater
on your journey

1 Like

Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by donestk(m): 1:45pm On Feb 07, 2022
great thread. Here to learn.
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Adebolamena(f): 1:45pm On Feb 07, 2022
Keep your head high bro.. I also planning to learn coding once I have a laptop.. [color=#000000][/color]

Please If there is anyone with laptop that they are not using at the moment should please give me so as to start learning please ��
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 07, 2022
pls boss, is ur ecommerce website a niche focus or foreign and also are u into POD
Re: My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie by rajiedreez: 1:48pm On Feb 07, 2022
Good, I also started my programming journey late last year, my first aim is to be proficient in web3/Blockchain development

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Integrating Your Website With Interswitch Payment Gateway For Beginners / CODELAGOS: 337 Schools To Participate In Coding Competition / Common good python programming practices you should know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.