Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,135,663 members, 7,752,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 February 2024 at 03:25 PM

[stuck In A Void] * Inspired By True Life Incidence - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / [stuck In A Void] * Inspired By True Life Incidence (260 Views)

The Last Wolf Series: Whispers From The Void / Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story / Showers Of Mercy - True Life Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

[stuck In A Void] * Inspired By True Life Incidence by Mustystrange98: 4:59pm On Nov 03, 2021
[Stuck in a void]

*Inspired by the recent Ikoyi skyscraper collapse.

-My bank alert na pakam my check no dey bounce.

We Laughed as my Uncle sang throatily. I retrieved the mansory plum and stretched it to him. He collected it and muttered " Where this Idowu come dey na, just to go buy food" he hissed

" He came, he said there wasn't food at our regular restaurant. So I asked him to check across the road." I dropped to the floor tired and hungry. The rest worker burst into laughter. I can't kill myself!

I was falling into slumber when my phone Chirped, it was Idowu, he was speaking too fast. I was hearing irregular noises on the phone. It was incoherent. Then my ear caught a few words. " collapse, building...collapse" I alerted the rest, but it was too late. The floor we were on plummeted instantly as we sank in an imaginary ocean.

For minutes, I was unconscious, but I recovered, everywhere was dark. Hot, stuffy and thick dust billowed that It became hard to breathe. "Nnamdi!" A soft voice called which I recognized as my uncle's. I tried to move but couldn't move my legs then a sharp pain cut me; my legs were broken; I couldn't see. So I remembered my wristwatch had a LED Light  so I painstakingly Tapped at it. It flickers a dull ray. At least enough to see my uncle. What I saw was heart shattering, a huge ton of Concrete on his back.

"Are you OK?" He struggled as he coughed out blood.

"I'm OK," i lied,  uncle, hold on, the search and rescue will arrive soonest"

He smirked. I was confused as to why he would be smirking at this crucial moment.

"It's going to be tough, it's a Pancake collapse. That is, floors layered on top of each other. We're lucky we're cut up in a Void. Situations like this at times, would take a significant number of days to rescue victims.

He coughed. Wiping the streak of blood away from his mouth.

I checked my time and it was 2p.m. As I winced in pain, a flash of thoughts ran through my mind.

Thirty-minutes  after, I was becoming weak as my energy was being sapped away by pains, the heat was unbearable. The only difference between a  grave and our situation was our being alive. Then a cracking voice said something.

" I don't think he is going to make it…" The voice said, wincing in pain.

"Uncle! Uncle!.."

" I'm still very much alive, you know I'm a Zuma rock, nothing can penetrate me."

I knew he was just lying. Trying to cool off my mind.

"Nmadi, tell Mama Ada to go meet my brother. He has with him the list of those whom I owe and who owes me" he coughed intensely.

"Ada, make sure you guide her through her educational journey. I know you are lazy, but you have to do it for me."

He paused.

"Uncle!, uncle!"

He coughed "And lastly Mama Ada, help her out in some duties. And be patient with her, she is a stubborn type though —"

Then everywhere began to vibrate as though a looming earthquake. "It's the search and rescue, they are here!" A hushed voice said. He grunted in pain. I tapped my wristwatch and flickered its ray to the direction of the voice. 

I recognized his face, an engineer who had earlier made a call to his wife "cook beans and dodo!" We all burst into laughter." I will be home any moment from now."

Then my brother, Idowu threw a joke at him " she dey miss your knacking ba?. Tell am make she chill," we burst into another round of laughter.

" I get one sex enhancer, your joystick go strong wella." My uncle threw the oddest joke. We choked with laughter.

"Yes, it's a 21 storey building, skyscraper for that matter. And we're stuck in the rubbles . It would be of no use raising our hopes… It will take a significant amount of time before help could reach us." The engineer struggled words out

I peered at him, though his situation was a little bit less than my uncle's. A massive ton of concrete crushed down on his both legs only the waist up to the was free. And he was bleeding. Tears trickled down my cheek. I knew his wife might have heard the news.

He coughed, his cough was no longer that intense, maybe he was wearing out.

" like I was saying," he said. " help mama Ada in some duties, I didn't say  you should help her in bed, my ghost will haunt you!"

In as much as I was in intense pain. I burst out a throaty laughter. It beats my imagination why he was still acting funny in this situation.

"Haba uncle, uncle, uncle!"

"Yes!" He said in a low tone

" the search and rescue are here, hold on,"

"Don't you understand kid! I said it will take a—"

"K—keep shut sir, keep shut! Are you God?, face your Wahala?" I screamed

I tapped my wristwatch. It flickers on, casting a dark shadow of my uncle."

" Uncle don't die, don't die, help is coming."

He smiled " die? I'm a Zuma rock, I'm a Zuma ro…."

Then his head slouched down. 

Uncle! Uncle! Uncle!

I woke up, only to find myself in a hospital, I undo the drip and began to scream when the nurses rushed in. 

"Oga u need to rest!" A whitish nurse tried to rest my back on the  bed. I clutched at her neck and requested my uncle's situation report.

"He is dead, he is dead, please, you're strangling me!." 

My hand lost its grip as the doctor  charged at me, pushed my back onto the bed as I struggled to let loose, the doctor injected into my artery a pain reliever. I dozed off. The only sound I could hear was the intermittent sound.

Beep,Beep,Beep.

#MustyStrange

(1) (Reply)

Love Expectations | Beautiful Love Quotes ❤ For Someone Special / Call For Submissions - Awaited Revolution Poetry/essay Anthology / Who You Tell Your Problem Matters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.