Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? (37160 Views)

2face Is Asking Why An Idoma Man Can't Be Governor In Benue, What About Igede? / Igede Ekiti Youths Resist Arrest Of Dapo Olagunju, Irepodun/ifelodun LG Chairman / Mass Burial: Osinbajo, Amaechi Weep In Benue [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:58pm On Nov 27, 2021
Evergreen4:
when I traveled to one some villages in cross river, I saw some igede people especially in wanikake , yala Local government area

Even in Ebonyi few are there in boundary areas
Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by Sleekfingers: 7:58pm On Nov 27, 2021
God1000:
lol
I even thought I was talking to an idoma person, Igbos are facing serious marginalisation in Nigeria right now, the reason for Biafra agitation and the current anarchy in South East, so you are in no position to even mock us.

Which serious marginalization the igbo are facing?

Are the north , southwest and south south not marginalized too?
Each regions should hold their useless governors and leaders responsible........

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by PrinceOfLagos: 7:58pm On Nov 27, 2021
Benuejosh how far you na

See your people
Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by God1000(m): 7:59pm On Nov 27, 2021
teacherbim:

Calm down man! Were you expecting every nairalander to applaud your post?
Igede are very good people that I know.
Thanks dear

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by foreshore(m): 8:00pm On Nov 27, 2021
ajumma:
Igede are traitors & recalcitrant folks
after given post of Ochi idoma,
they came back to claim of not being an idoma.

igede & biafra 5& 6

Benue people no like themself.
Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by InoGetJoy: 8:00pm On Nov 27, 2021
Igboid:

We can't leave them alone when they have refused to leave us alone.
Lol!
That guy you quoted is right, leave them to fight their battles, dnt involve Igbo

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by thaoriginator: 8:01pm On Nov 27, 2021
Penguin2:
The only thing I know is that Igede girls can knack eh grin
Do they speak the same language?
Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by Ekealterego: 8:02pm On Nov 27, 2021
God1000:

Thanks dear
See your stuff is on front page.. I asked you to use the opportunity on the front page with a good table of content to talk about some pertinent points, instead you chose to be emotional and even insult me when I was actually very courteos in my suggestion.

Go back to the comments you made on the front page, edit them and answer the main questions.

You can't modify the very first post because it is on front page now, but you can modify the subsequent comments.

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by heniford2: 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2021
christistruth01:

Unfortunately if he wants to know how Virtuous his own Women folk are he should just go and Stand in front of any Brothel in Nigeria and Shout Ngozi he should be able to find at least half a dozen of his Sisters there
the funny part is that you guys answer almost the same name with igbos so i will assume is from dia tribe grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by vickydevoka(m): 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2021
ajumma:

igede & biafra 5& 6
Lol. Igede and yoloba are 5 & 6

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by Jimbah(m): 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2021
God1000:
The moderator should please push this to front page abeg.
I'm writing this to address some falsehood, misapprehension and misinformation out there regarding igede tribe because when you mention benue state, there's this erroneous assumption that benue comprises of Tiv and idoma only, maybe due to inadequate information about other minorities. I'm proudly an igede guy, So please read.

Let's start here, Igede tribe is located in benue with two local government areas of oju and obi with a population of nearly 1million industrious people, we have rich culture and tradition, our main occupation is farming, we grow and export all kinds of staple food such as garri, yam, rice, potatoes, cassava, millet etc and perishable food items as well.
Our cultural festival is celebrated every September with funfair.

Though We're not on a par with Tiv and idoma politically, but we have had some prominent people in the past, some igede juggernauts include
1. Ode Ojowu, Chief Economic Adviser to President Obasanjo and CEO National Planning Commission.
2. Oga Okwoche, Former Nigerian Ambassador to France.
3. Peter Okwoche, host of the BBC Focus on Africa TV news magazine programme and the former/late deputy governor of benue state chief ogiri ajene who served under governor akume between 1999-2007.
Today there's hardly any faculty or department in benue state university and federal university of agriculture Makurdi where you will not find igede prodigy occupying a prestigious position, we have uncountable professors teaching in various higher institutions across the country.
Indeed igede sons and daughters have made tremendous strides, but those remarkable feats are not enough, we will continue to aspire higher and higher because right now we produce one house of rep member which Is inequitable considering our population, we need more local governments for the sake of equity and fairness.

Tiv produces the governor and two senators from zone A and zone B while idoma and igede produce one senator from zone C, zone C senator has always been idoma.
Tiv tribe being the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria has the numeric advantage over igede and idoma, but we need to discard the born to rule mentality whether at the national or state level because it is dangerous to the concept of democracy.
The story of former American president Barack Obama and goodluck Jonathan is a testament of the government of the people, by the people and for the people, what we need are men and women of goodwill that will bring good governance, listen to the yearning and aspirations of the people and deliver dividends of democracy. Igede has such intellectuals with expertise.

Igede tribe is bigger than some sovereign/independent countries and islands in the world.
Here are some countries with little population.

1 Cape Verde 561,898
2 Maldives 543,617
3 Malta 442,784
4 Brunei 441,532
5 Belize 404,914
6 Bahamas 396,913
7 Iceland 343,353
8 Vanuatu 314,464
9 Barbados 287,711
10 Sao Tome And Principe 223,368
11 Samoa 200,149
12 Saint Lucia 184,400
13 Kiribati 121,392
14 Micronesia 116,254
15 Grenada 113,021
16 Saint Vincent And The Grenadines 111,263
17 Tonga 106,760
18 Seychelles 98,908
19 Antigua And Barbuda 98,731
20 Andorra 77,355
21 Dominica 72,167
22 Marshall Islands 59,610
23 Saint Kitts And Nevis 53,544
24 Monaco 39,511
25 Liechtenstein 38,250
26 San Marino 34,017
27 Palau 18,169
28 Tuvalu 11,931
29 Nauru 10,87

Marginalisation, intolerance and nepotism are bad practices, noisome and unholesome act, it is time to do what is right by giving everybody a chance instead of political expediency.
Igede should be given ministerial slot and other federal government appointments.

I believe igede should produce the next governor in benue state come 2023, it is very much feasible with the support of Tiv and idoma.
The current hostility between igede and Tiv which has claimed so many lives is unfortunate, we shouldn't be at variance and loggerheads because of land, not seeing eye to eye isn't what benue needs, we can't make headways with antagonism, disharmony and dissention.
I call on governor Orton to address the issue diligently.
Joseph Egbodo
The moderator should please do the needful.
https://www./480257455447889/permalink/2166976353442649/?app=fbl

I like igede girls, very good people and homely..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by Bigii(m): 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2021
God1000:
I'm writing this to address some falsehood, misapprehension and misinformation out there regarding igede tribe because when you mention benue state, there's this erroneous assumption that benue comprises of Tiv and idoma only, maybe due to inadequate information about other minorities. I'm proudly an igede guy, So please read.

Let's start here, Igede tribe is located in benue with two local government areas of oju and obi with a population of nearly 1million industrious people, we have rich culture and tradition, our main occupation is farming, we grow and export all kinds of staple food such as garri, yam, rice, potatoes, cassava, millet etc and perishable food items as well.
Our cultural festival is celebrated every September with funfair.

Though We're not on a par with Tiv and idoma politically, but we have had some prominent people in the past, some igede juggernauts include
1. Ode Ojowu, Chief Economic Adviser to President Obasanjo and CEO National Planning Commission.
3. Peter Okwoche, host of the BBC Focus on Africa TV news magazine programme and the former/late deputy governor of benue state chief ogiri ajene who served under governor akume between 1999-2007.
Today there's hardly any faculty or department in benue state university and federal university of agriculture Makurdi where you will not find igede prodigy occupying a prestigious position, we have uncountable professors teaching in various higher institutions across the country.
Indeed igede sons and daughters have made tremendous strides, but those remarkable feats are not enough, we will continue to aspire higher and higher because right now we produce one house of rep member which Is inequitable considering our population, we need more local governments for the sake of equity and fairness.

Tiv produces the governor and two senators from zone A and zone B while idoma and igede produce one senator from zone C, zone C senator has always been idoma.
Tiv tribe being the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria has the numeric advantage over igede and idoma, but we need to discard the born to rule mentality whether at the national or state level because it is dangerous to the concept of democracy.
The story of former American president Barack Obama and goodluck Jonathan is a testament of the government of the people, by the people and for the people, what we need are men and women of goodwill that will bring good governance, listen to the yearning and aspirations of the people and deliver dividends of democracy. Igede has such intellectuals with expertise.

Igede tribe is bigger than some sovereign/independent countries and islands in the world.
Here are some countries with little population.

1 Cape Verde 561,898
2 Maldives 543,617
3 Malta 442,784
4 Brunei 441,532
5 Belize 404,914
6 Bahamas 396,913
7 Iceland 343,353
8 Vanuatu 314,464
9 Barbados 287,711
10 Sao Tome And Principe 223,368
11 Samoa 200,149
12 Saint Lucia 184,400
13 Kiribati 121,392
14 Micronesia 116,254
15 Grenada 113,021
16 Saint Vincent And The Grenadines 111,263
17 Tonga 106,760
18 Seychelles 98,908
19 Antigua And Barbuda 98,731
20 Andorra 77,355
21 Dominica 72,167
22 Marshall Islands 59,610
23 Saint Kitts And Nevis 53,544
24 Monaco 39,511
25 Liechtenstein 38,250
26 San Marino 34,017
27 Palau 18,169
28 Tuvalu 11,931
29 Nauru 10,87

Marginalisation, intolerance and nepotism are bad practices, noisome and unholesome act, it is time to do what is right by giving everybody a chance instead of political expediency.
Igede should be given ministerial slot and other federal government appointments.

I believe igede should produce the next governor in benue state come 2023, it is very much feasible with the support of Tiv and idoma.
The current hostility between igede and Tiv which has claimed so many lives is unfortunate, we shouldn't be at variance and loggerheads because of land, not seeing eye to eye isn't what benue needs, we can't make headways with antagonism, disharmony and dissention.
I call on governor Orton to address the issue diligently.
Joseph Egbodo

Like it or not. You're part of Idoma. Your Igede has once produced the Och'Idoma which is Ajene Okpabi
Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by tyav7: 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2021
God1000:

Look Mr man I don't have time for this disputation.
Please carefully read here

BIOGRAPHY OF AGABAIDU ABRAHAM AJENE OKPABI,
The second Och’Idoma of Idomaland (1960-1995)

His Royal Highness, Agabaidu Abraham Ajene Okpabi, Och’Idoma II was born in 1924 in Ito district of present day Obi Local Government Area of Benue State.

HRH, Ajene Okpabi attended Idoma Metropolitan Primary School Otukpo (now Methodist Central Primary School Otukpo) between 1932 and 1940 where his leadership qualities were first noticed and he was made Head Boy in his final year in primary school.

After leaving primary school, HRH Ajene Okpabi worked as a health worker until 1952 when at the age of 28, he was appointed the Okwubi (district head) of Ito.
With this appointment, he also became the President of the Idoma Native Authority (NA) Area Court in Ito District. His reign as Okwubi was popular with Idoma NA administration as this period was renowned for growth in tax collection, commerce and primary education within Ito district.

As a reward for his sterling leadership as Okwubi, in 1954 the Idoma NA made it possible for Ajene Okpabi to attend administrative courses and then appointed him to their Executive Council where at different times; he served as Councillor in charge of Judiciary, Prisons, Finance and Police. And in 1956, Ajene Okpabi’s political profile was further elevated when he was elected into the first Northern Nigeria House of Assembly which was set-up to prepare Northern Nigeria politically for the impending independence of Nigeria from Britain.

In 1960, Ajene Okpabi’s life was to change forever. Following the death of his father in-law, the Och’Idoma I, HRH Ogiri Oko , 22 district heads within Idoma NA met and chose Ajene Okpabi as Och’Idoma II and was officially given his staff of office by Queen Elizabeth II.

His selection as Och’Idoma was met with objections from some quarters and these objections were based on the belief that the Igedes are not Idomas and as such someone considered a “stranger” should not ascend the throne of Och’Idoma.

Despite the early challenges, the leader in Ajene Okpabi saw him overcome them and he would go on to reign for 35 years. During this time, he was awarded two national honours: the Order of the Federal Republic (OFR) and Commander of Order of Niger (CON).

His mediatory qualities was called upon during the Nigerian Civil War in the late 1960s when he was made a member of the Consultative Assembly of Leaders of Thought, a group that worked towards resolving the crisis between Nigeria and Biafra.

In 1970, the office of the Och’Idoma was upgraded to a first class chief by the then Benue Plateau State Government. This upgrade was seen by most observers as a clear indication of the prestige brought to the Och’Idoma position by Ajene Okpabi.

In 1994, just as in the 1960s, Ajene Okpabi was one of the 13 eminent people from Benue State selected to be members of the National Constitutional Conference (NCC) which was constituted by then Military Government to help resolve the political impasse created by the annulment of the June 12 1993 presidential election. While at the NCC, he continued to champion the cause of Idoma people by leading the agitation for the creation of Apa State.

Ajene Okpabi throughout his reign was a father figure to all Idoma people, providing much needed guidance in matters of Idoma tradition and always remained neutral in the different disputes in Idomaland.

Ajene Okpabi died in 1995.
Respect!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by legba1(m): 8:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
Two facts I know about the IGEDE people that is so fascinating.....
1) IGEDEs are hard workers, Dem get strength die...give them farm and good hoe and you will be amazed...when it comes to farming,they are no 1.

2) Their girls Sabi knack die....if you never try them,then you aren't seen nothing yet, I remember HAPPINESS for Lagos and ABIGAIL for ijebu jesa.....one thing they both have in common is to get me cold water after every sessions, I was almost thinking is their tradition back then.

They are good people especially when they just bring them from "home"...

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by Mvena(f): 8:05pm On Nov 27, 2021
ajumma:

igede & biafra 5& 6
Na dem dey produce Caro white for o
Dem sabi bleach ehn

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by EJEHSON(m): 8:07pm On Nov 27, 2021
That is what you want to hear. The Igede people are aligning themselves more closely with the Tivs and denying any close relationship with the Idomas because of political gain.
I came across a write-up by an Igede man stating that the igede is even closely related to the Tiv people than the Idomas.
If not for general Ejiga, the igede will still be in one local government. It was general Ejiga that made the proposal for obi local government, an opportunity he has when he was a close friend to general sani abacha.
He would have given that local government to ogbadibo and the igede people would have been struggling with oju alone just the way the tiv silent the Etulo in Biruku.
That was the mistake he made that gave you people voice in Benue.
The hatred you Igede have for the Idomas is what I don't just understand. All to align with the Tiv for political interest.
I tell you, even if they give Igede governor today, part of them will still cry of marginalization.
The Idomas have learned to pitch their tent outside Benue state.
The igede and Idomas have never been in battle of any kind before, wether physically or otherwise yet you said the Idomas are your enemies.
The igede and tiv are always fighting along konshisha asis, yet you said you are closely related to them all for political gain.
STOP THE HATE.

God1000:

Thanks bro

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by LollySeaSide: 8:08pm On Nov 27, 2021
The Tiv and Idoma concepts are political rather than cultural or ethnic delimitations.
In Benue South (the zone otherwise called the Idoma zone), there exist the
- Idoma
- Agatu
- Igede
- Ufia
- Akweya
- Okporokpo (Politically placed under Ufia)
- Ugede
- Okpoto.

All these people speak different languages though some of them have noticeable similarities.

Even in the Tiv axis, there are the Etulo people in Buruku and Katsina-Ala who speak a language clearly different from Tiv.

Bottom line is that the Idoma nation is a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and a multi-linguistic aggregation and should be seen as such with
each component maintaining its uniqueness in its own way.

8 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by InoGetJoy: 8:09pm On Nov 27, 2021
slivertongue:

Better info than what the op put. We must learn to be persuasive than abusive. Rightly put idomas are marginalizing igedes thus the lack of trust, tivs are marginalizing both, Nigeria is marginalizing the above three. Anyone in Nigeria is marginalized to some degree by the Nigerian State but only a few are bold to speak out. Anywhere u find 'majority' the 'minority' go suffer.
You're right on this. The Igbos speak out and they, knowing that the current structure of the country won't let them thrive, they chose to leave the union. The thing that surprises me is that other tribes that know Nigeria still wont be of value to them are fighting tooth and nail to keep Igbos in that same union.
It's bizarre

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by Putindbutt: 8:10pm On Nov 27, 2021
Igboid:

You are not okay if you think Igbos are facing a marginalization in Nigeria that the rest of NIGERIA are not facing the worst of.

Lol! We want Biafra not because anyone else in Nigeria is better off in Nigeria than us.
We want Biafra because we know we deserve better than NIGERIA can ever offer to any group in Nigeria.
Don't get it twisted. grin
I find it very difficult to understand why ibos use Lies to massage their own ego. The realities on ground is always very much far apart from the twisted narratives y'all paint of yourselves on Nairaland. If this were true, I wonder why your elders are always singing the song of marginalization at every given time.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by InoGetJoy: 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2021
Baba40:

Igede are Bush people..

Obolo tete kule yeeee
Nigerians are wicked. Look at how you're saying your fellow human beings are bush people. Na waa o

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by gift01: 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2021
As an outsider what I can say is:
-They are very hardworking (male and female)
-They like themselves. Once you can speak you are one of them.
-Their language is so sexy but mhen it’s hard to learn.
-Their girls...enuf said but they are very homely and maybe they gossip a little.
-They seem to migrate in droves. Just go to Igbesa, Ogun state- they even have a King there.

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by JONSYN7154: 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2021
ajumma:

igede & biafra 5& 6
ainya choo.
Habo olila oma ta

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by Rahkman: 8:12pm On Nov 27, 2021
Wait oo are igbos cursed to fight every tribe on nairaland are this bastards cursed ni? angry

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by West2019(m): 8:13pm On Nov 27, 2021
igede people are not idoma but Calabar people
Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by InoGetJoy: 8:15pm On Nov 27, 2021
God1000:

Bro this is the first time I'm hearing about this tribe, and it's really terrible the way people are talking bad about your tribe. Don't let their foolishness get to you. Every tribe has good and bad people but we in this country love magnifying the evils of other tribes. Don't reply to the imbeciles

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by InoGetJoy: 8:16pm On Nov 27, 2021
Rahkman:
Wait oo are igbos cursed to fight every tribe on nairaland are this bastards cursed ni? angry
Your father, mother, brother, sister and everything related to you are bastards. You are a bastard and you'll forever remain a bastard for insulting my tribe. What concerns Igbo with this thread, abi na mumu dey your empty skull? No make me vex for you. Ode Oshi

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by Thonee(m): 8:16pm On Nov 27, 2021
How is Tiv the fourth largest tribe in Nigeria?
Better wake up.
Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by firstratedcitiz(m): 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2021
The only thing that I know of the Igedes are the plantains and, of course, their terrible language. I don't know between Ebira and the Igede whose language sounds more terrible.

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State? by HZNjnr(m): 8:18pm On Nov 27, 2021
This is the most unintelligent post I've ever read on NairaLand. Cursed be the aemin who pushed this to the front page.

Lots of grammatical, spelling and syntactical errors upon the fact that the research is full of lies and hate.

Imagine wateryam calling itself yam...

Igede people should just humble themselves and be like Agatu.

That you have two local government areas doesn't make u qualified for all these benefits, even wanting to be Governor? What iberiberism!

You guys are lucky Idoma people are peace loving, you see how u tried the Tivs and they showed u pepper right?

Infact goan sit down!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

I’m ‘Sweating’ Over High Cost Of Diesel – Obasanjo Laments / Belarus To Buy Proforce Armored Vehicles From Nigeria / Buhari Wished Obama 'Happy Retirement'. Lady Replies Him After His Tweet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.