Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,007 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed (35455 Views)

These Quack Doctors Want To Kill Me Before My Time (picture) / The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) / Uniabuja Graduate Died In A Hospital After Intestine Was Blocked By The Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Born2Breed(f): 2:39am On Nov 06, 2021
I just feel your pain and worry right now.

May the Almighty God do the miraculous in your mother's leg and life.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by blasterman(m): 2:41am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.
I'm going to keep this brief.

It started three weeks ago. my mum, who was walking normal with no problem suddenly could not walk. Her left leg began paining her severely that day. My mum was all in tears... She was rushed to the hospital where it was discovered that her sugar level was on the high side. The hospital gave drugs which stabilised it, at that point my mum was very weak, couldn't eat, each time she eat she throws up and also had some pain in the leg still. After a week in the hospital, we were then referred to a teaching hospital after a test showed that creatinine in her kidney was high.

The teaching hospital tried their best and I can say my mum is now okay. Except for the left leg. She can't still walk on it, the leg feels cold to touch with a little discolouration above the foot.

Doppler test showed that blood isn't really flowing through the leg. And they said they will need to amputate the leg to prevent the infection from growing to the other parts of the body.

Please I want to know if you know anyone who had similar condition and amputation was recommended but was later healed without need for amputation.

Please share your recommendations. I need my mum now more than before in my life. We are confused on whether to allow them to go on with the amputation or seek other alternatives.

Thank you very much.

Pls note that as at now, her sugar level, creatinine and other things are normal.

Right now she needs at least zero carbs. because carbs turn to sugar

Nothing that has carbs (No bread, yam, eba or garri)

she can eat Fish, eggs , vegetable etc peppersoup as food

She can eat beans

Then fruits like water melon ,

Also she will need to be taking diabetes drug that will form insulin

But she has to stop taking in carbs which the body converts to sugar

No cocacola or sprite or any other soft drink

To save her live you have to take drastic measures

Take her to another doctor for blood test too

The most drastic measure is to do a water fast for 1 week and let the body burn off the over excess glucose in her blood.

Diabetics are usually advised to do exercise not sure if she can in her state.

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Ofadaman(m): 2:50am On Nov 06, 2021
I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal, I know how you must feel must feel but you need to listen to your doctors as long as they're professionals.

If infection is spreading you need to have the leg amputated,. My friend lost his dad to similar situation by the time they cut the leg, the infection was already far spread, he died of septic shock few days after.

If the legs is no longer having blood supply , and it get infected it could be very dangerous.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by johnkent(m): 2:59am On Nov 06, 2021
Do not amputate. She needs an angioplasty. Amputation should be the last resort and that only happens after other options have been exhausted.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by muheeb01(m): 3:08am On Nov 06, 2021
Don't rush to amputation yet...since the sugar level is normal,I'll suggest they keep using anti infection drug,or any alternative to kill infection totally in her system,and also anti inflamatory stuff,and any orthodox drugs that can increase blood circulation...I'd have suggest alternative therapy but the choice is yours...wish her quick recovery and ability to walk on her leg again,you can as well dm me
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by muheeb01(m): 3:16am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

It started three weeks ago. my mum, who was walking normal with no problem suddenly could not walk. Her left leg began paining her severely that day. My mum was all in tears... She was rushed to the hospital where it was discovered that her sugar level was on the high side. The hospital gave drugs which stabilised it, at that point my mum was very weak, couldn't eat, each time she eat she throws up and also had some pain in the leg still. After a week in the hospital, we were then referred to a teaching hospital after a test showed that creatinine in her kidney was high.

The teaching hospital tried their best and I can say my mum is now okay. Except for the left leg. She can't still walk on it, the leg feels cold to touch with a little discolouration above the foot.

Doppler test showed that blood isn't really flowing through the leg. And they said they will need to amputate the leg to prevent the infection from growing to the other parts of the body.

Please I want to know if you know anyone who had similar condition and amputation was recommended but was later healed without need for amputation.

Please share your recommendations. I need my mum now more than before in my life. We are confused on whether to allow them to go on with the amputation or seek other alternatives.

Thank you very much.

Pls note that as at now, her sugar level, creatinine and other things are normal.
If you believe or interested in traditional therapy dm me check my signature,don't rush to amputation
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by frozen70(f): 3:19am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

Sorry about the situation, quite painful

Why not take her to orthopedic hospital if you think the doctors you are using is not giving you the solution

For the leg to be cold, it's possible that there are no blood flow there and probably dead but still there

You guys all have to take one decision and make sure that's the best decision to save your mum's life
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by okoroemeka(m): 3:20am On Nov 06, 2021
sugarbeesmith:
have you taken her to living church first before considering amputation? It really not nice how people don't seek the face of God first in a situation like this before making human decisions.
no amount of prayer, deliverance,shaking, posturing, fasting and mimicry could make any difference in a medical case like this,my first guess is that she might be obese and managed the carb diet poorly with little or no exercise which is a killer,medical intervention is the only option if gas gangrene has developed past normal surgical debridement but the fear will be for the stump to heal after amputation which is another big problem.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Jacksparrow7(m): 3:24am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

I really don't know why teaching hospitals act one kind. If not all of them, most of them. A private hospital will do the job for her. With fire on the mountain prayers
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by mcevans1(m): 3:34am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

I know someone who can treat your mum without having her leg amputated. If you're interested let me know.

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by eruere: 3:35am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

In as much your mother leg do have not injuring in that leg, she only needs massage therapy. It looks as she suffered minor or partial stroke on that leg. With proper therapy she will be fine. A cold leg or hand is the characteristic of stroke. Since she has sugar related issue it is not advisable to amputate her leg because it will never heal. I will advice you to seek expert advice preferably oversea doctors.That how they killed my father with needless amputation.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by lildush(m): 3:37am On Nov 06, 2021
Take her to mercyland in warri delta. State.. prophet Jeremiah omoto fufeyin will pray for her. She will be healed.. try to watch mercy TV. U will understand wat am talking about. Amputation will make her more dependent on you. Mama is healed in Jesus name... Amen. God over everything
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by AgentGoat: 3:40am On Nov 06, 2021
Many nairalanders need to learn how to put emotions aside when it comes to issues like this. we all loves our families. we don't want them amputated but this is what the matter has comes too. Personally i don't see any other choice here. Seek second opinion though.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by JustforMen: 3:45am On Nov 06, 2021
really sorry aboit your mum and may God make it easy for you all.
The amputation is the last resort in order to save mummy's life and I assure you, the doctors don't want to do it either.
Let her go through with it because we need her alive above anything else. it will take time to heal.
cost of prosthetics is dependent on the type and the hospital installing it.
Good news is that some NGOs in Nigeria do it for free too.
for example, a high end hospital in Abuja will charge between 1.5 - 3.5m including physiotherapy to fix it for her. and also it depends on the components. they work in collaboration with the world's leader in prosthetics in Germany.
if you have money, you can take your mum to any eastern European country for affordable care and prosthetics installation.
let them save her life first.
all the rest God will direct and make resources available at your disposal.
really sorry bro.
I know abit information about the prosthetic thing and I assure you, mummy can still have a normal life.
if you need any more help with info.. just hit me up.

don't worry things will work out fine. continue being the strong person for your mum and your family.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by enilowo(m): 4:05am On Nov 06, 2021
You have said it all the sad part is everyday you wait worsen the situation. Move fast and she will be alive else she can die in three months!

It happened to a neighbor that did not listen to advise in the beginning, ir was God that saved him as he was rushed to hospital unconscious. That is after he has taken all sort of agbo.

Move fast to save your mum. It's better to have a one legged mum alive than non.

EasternActivist:
From what I have researched there is no cure yet on ground and to ease and save your mum's life, amputation might be the best bet. prosthetic fittings can be done and your mum can walk again and with proper diabetical management no more harmful neuropathy will come her way ever again.
The other leg should be monitored as well.
Good luck.

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by MRDEE01: 4:06am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

Believing God for your mum's healing is the option you have now.
Take your mum to healing and deliverance service on Tuesday in any Dunamis church location close to you
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by dedoz: 4:11am On Nov 06, 2021
If only my Mum's case was like this,would have been glad to amputate the leg so that she would live longer...Her own led to CKD,did dialysis for a year and died. I miss her everyday, its ten years now. She died at 55....Please ensure you do the best for your Mum,follow the doctors advice that's after confirmation from other teaching hospitals. Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by enilowo(m): 4:11am On Nov 06, 2021
If you want to grow in life avoid people like this. They are the reason why Africa has not move out of poverty. All they do is pray but they remain the same way they were last year. God give us brain to invent not to pray and do nothing.

The so called miracle worker in Ikotun could not pray death out of his way o. Wake up people and be smart.

lildush:
Take her to mercyland in warri delta. State.. prophet Jeremiah omoto fufeyin will pray for her. She will be healed.. try to watch mercy TV. U will understand wat am talking about. Amputation will make her more dependent on you. Mama is healed in Jesus name... Amen. God over everything

4 Likes

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Gval123: 4:29am On Nov 06, 2021
Join #NSPPD Prayer program every morning, Monday to Friday. I assure u, that leg will not be cut off. God bless u
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Integrafamoo: 4:32am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

Try different hospitals before resorting to amputation
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by ekineme: 4:32am On Nov 06, 2021
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Nobody: 4:32am On Nov 06, 2021
Beloved brother don't waste time to do the needful,cut it off.A relative had same experience in 2017,duet our delay,she has gone to the great beyond because of our delay.May God gives you courage and heal her.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by gabicon: 4:45am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

Have you tried our local medicine? Those people who massage the leg I once gathered from someone with stroke that they work. I have also read about the use of leach to allow proper blood flow. But when considering alternative medicine you have to be very careful, some of these people don't know what they are doing.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Judgesledge(m): 4:45am On Nov 06, 2021
Sorry about your mum's condition, from your post, seems that foot is already gone(gangrene), unfortunately. Amputation s actually the solution anywhere in the world, Sooner this is done the better for your mum's health, trust me on this bros
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by MrEgghead(m): 4:47am On Nov 06, 2021
DisLifeSha:
She will need insulin o. To be taken regularly. This is type 2 diabetes. Go to a reliable doctor. If her sugar level is well controlled, she won't need to go through that.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and am broke right now and unable to buy this expensive insulin. I've only eaten 4 times this week.

I also have malaria now that I can't treat well because no money. This life is not easy

Type 2 diabetic patient doesn't require Insulin.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by afo4real(m): 5:20am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

The best thing is amputation for now and the earlier the better. There is no cure for infected foot/feet for a diabetic patient other than amputation. That you said it started 3weeks is a lie. Ask your mum, she might have been injured for close to 3 months now.

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Nobody: 5:38am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

Listen to the doctors and amputate, my dad had this few years ago from his toe, he refused to amputate and went for all this local remedies, when he eventually got wise, his whole right leg just below the knee had to be amputated, thank God he's still alive with proper management but it could have been better if he only listened
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by jclassiq(m): 6:08am On Nov 06, 2021
This is sad.
The diabetes was not managed until it began to cause neuropathy.
I think you people shld keep on monitoring her glucose level to prevent further damage to other vital organs.
As for the amputation, maybe you shld try a second (or third) hospital just to be sure.
But if the foot has been damaged beyond repair, i don't think there is any other thing to do than to remove it to save her life.
My regards.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by chuksvialle(m): 6:12am On Nov 06, 2021
My mum had very similar issue, I could verify for u, there is this hospital owned by a Catholic church at orji river, there she had her surgery, her knee cap was replaced and she walked well. The doctor comes from abroad twice a year I guess, could make more findings for you. Please do not amputate, this reminds me of my mum's case
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by osazsky(m): 6:24am On Nov 06, 2021
Illuminatiship:
Don't be in a hurry to amputate the leg I have seen something like this before where the man involved later walked..
una done start

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Lagos Quarantines 4 Children From US, Their Teacher & Man From UK / No Bra Day 2019: What It Is And How To Get Involved / All You Need To Know About The Deadly Hepatitis B Virus!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.