Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

“Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria (41010 Views)

Address Dearth Of Cash In Banks, Afe Babalola Urges FG / The Dearth Of Quality Writers In Nigeria / Igbo Apprenticeship in Alaba is the largest business incubator in the world(vid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Mstick: 1:36pm On Nov 06, 2021
It's not even about not wanting to learn but the kind of oppressive society we are in. You see all this "oga and madam" they still want to benefit from the old ways of doing thing plus the new ways.

I wanted to learn to make hair, just basic styles I had no plans of opening a salon, the woman told me the amount I will pay, plus groundnut, carton of malt,wine for her and campari for her husband. In the olden days you bring items to learn but not money, but she expects me to pay her, buy things for her and her husband and still as grown as I was I will be running errands.

So tell me how many people from poor families can actually afford this requirement?

Lol! I say no wahala. I've data. I learnt making hair through YouTube.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by RosyIsBlessed: 1:36pm On Nov 06, 2021
The reason is simple, the youths of today are lazy. They want the easy way out.

3 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Zenithh: 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2021
They have stopped learning trade. They have all joined IPOB to be causing mayhem in their region. Lazy youths that just want to become touts and be collecting illegal money from hardworking pple. Go to under bridge they are there. Go to upper I weak they are being recruited as touts/cultists and street urchins grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nothingserious: 1:38pm On Nov 06, 2021
Focusmind:
Good fact! Nice observation. My father trained a lot of "Umu boy" then in his hey days at Onitsha. Mostly from Enugu and Abakiliki.

At the peak of my father's trading business in the 80' and early 90s, we had about seven of them in our house. All were settled and were doing relatively well. There is no more youth willing to learn trade or apprenticeship. Everybody wants the fast money. The "Nwa boy" or "Umu boy" apprenticeship system helped built and distributed wealth in the Igbo families and supported the great social mobility witnessed after the unfortunate civil war.

Families that were hitherto very poor, saw their situations changed because one of their sons has been settled by his "Oga" and is now doing very well in Onitsha or Lagos. Before you say jack, he has demolished his father's old hut house and erected a befitting structure. The neighbor, seeing what Mazi Okeke's son did, will encourage his Son and even pushed him higher to meet up with his mates. Healthy and sometimes, unhealthy competition and rivalry, bestrode the Igbo communities, especially in Anambra.

You hit the nail on the head.

Your little narration looked like I was reading a page off of Chinua Achebe’s or Chimamanda Adichie’s prose.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Calitoscassius(m): 1:38pm On Nov 06, 2021
Mstick:
I agree with you, most time this oga's don't even settle the guys after many years of service, once they know it's almost time to settle them they will accuse them of theft.
Oh! 1 sensible comment, good! grin it is sheer child exploitations, abuse and forced labour. Simple!

2 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by fashrola(m): 1:39pm On Nov 06, 2021
abobote:
Nice thread, I have one nwa boy with me now, and I'm hoping to take another one when I travel for Xmas

Hope say when time comes to settle am, you no go put finger for nose

3 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by gift01: 1:43pm On Nov 06, 2021
mastermaestro:

The apprentice saw 'light'. grin grin
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Emaprince: 1:46pm On Nov 06, 2021
Igba boy for 6-10yrs?? As in...10yrs shocked shocked Thats not possible na..except if the Oga himself is stingy and greedy. Its usually a duration of 4-5yrs and the boys are settled mostly with money. Only in rare cases where the Oga is extra rich settlement may come with shops too.

Anyway, Nwa boy is still very much in existence but no longer as popular and common as it used to. If you go to spare part dealing areas, you will see a lot of them. I actually don't know how settlement goes these days as you rightly opined that a lot of them doesn't finish the duration. Yahoo and quest for fast money have eaten deep into the lives of our youths.

3 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by iezeiyida(m): 1:46pm On Nov 06, 2021
From what I have witnessed, truth is, some ''Umu Boy'' don't finish successfully because of inhumane treatments from not only some of their bosses but also the lazy, slaying madams doing nothing and relaxing at house....these boys really suffer....I know a ''Nwa Boy'' that his Oga is rich but the guy stays at the shop, working from 7am to 8am - 9pm, before returning to Oga's house and still start doing laundry work same night for madam till 12:30am - 1am and they must wake by 4am - 4:30am, to start lots of work again like fetching water, washing cars, cleaning the house etc. before going to shop cry

Besides, some of the bosses, (Ogas) of some determined and persevering ''Umu Boy'' have become highly occultic these days, and always intend (using, and or uses) their ''Umu Boy'' for their money growing evil purposes.

6 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by fajbam216: 1:46pm On Nov 06, 2021
But a critical observation of this imu ... Most of the Igbo business that thrive .. u wil.never see non Igbo in the system...

Recent discoveries .. had it that d boss takes the apprentice to shrine to swear ...so the oga can v rest abt the safety of his money...
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Xandre: 1:47pm On Nov 06, 2021
It's a two-way thing.

The youth are no longer patient and honest. The elders too who are masters no longer settle the few ones well. It's from one complain to the other when settlement period is close, this has hugely discouraged the practice.

3 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Ytea(f): 1:47pm On Nov 06, 2021
The Igbo apprenticeship system is the best, I so much love it.

3 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Jefferyhi86(m): 1:48pm On Nov 06, 2021
Just like in Gra benin city, most shops are looking for sales gals, how much u wan pay dem, wen some have ventures into prostitution, just two nite alone a gal will make close to 20kpa.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nothingserious: 1:49pm On Nov 06, 2021
BlackfyreRebell:
When after every oga no gree settle rather than settle the boy he's accusing him of stealing his money all those years he served.

This is one the of reasons no one wants to serve again.

Imagine wasting 10 to 12 years of your life at the end of the day you have nothing to show for it

True to an extent.

But sometimes the boys will steal Oga’s money or goods or even use their own accounts to receive payments meant for oga’s account.
That’s against the codes of the trade.

Some will open accounts secretly and hide away big phones that are permanently on silence mode. They use it at night without OGA’s knowledge.

Some smarter ones open accounts for their relations and friends and stash money there that can never be traced by oga.

Some open accounts with false names and save so much money. When they are settled with N2m, they go and do name change and become big boys overnight.

Some Ogas also overdo the thing. They accuse you falsely around the 5th -7th year when you are due for settlement and send you back with nothing. Even if you stay, there will be a lot of mistrust. And to make matters worse, some will collect back all your SIM cards so you don’t ever contact their key customers and convert to your own. But trust the smart boys, they start writing down every phone number in books ahead of time.

However a good number of Ogas had done well, settled their boys well, opened shops close to theirs for them, allow them still sleep in their houses for a while until they balance well, allow them come to their shop with customers and claim it is their second shop, offer credits to the boys who sell and refund later, and some even allow the boys use their company names as subsidiaries on their invoices and signage just to encourage them.

Some of the boys treated well end up growing large and even supporting the old oga when OGA’s hand is no longer “financially strong”.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Inspectahdeck(m): 1:52pm On Nov 06, 2021
The world has changed with the invent of the Internet which expose youths to imaginary wealth. They do not understand that life is a process.

Poverty is another issue. Some parents expect so much from their children and encourage any act to bring money home.

In nigeria, workmen are mostly immigrants who do the work better than Nigerians. Youth Orientation and teaching entrepreneurship at schools is key to change this crazy mindset.

2 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by moneyissweet(m): 1:56pm On Nov 06, 2021
It is simple

Everybody now including the parents and "nwa boy" choro ego mbute.They want to blow today and tomorrow. No one is interested to learn anything again. That is why kidnapping, ritual, prostitution and armed robbery is on the rise.

I think that "nwa boy" thing ended in 1999. What we have in the village now are young kidnappers,weed smokers and cultists.

They all have ak47,some are even begging me to be my personal bodyguard this December. These are young boys of 18,19 .

Uwa emebigo Biko

2 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Aurelius1(m): 2:02pm On Nov 06, 2021
DisLifeSha:
Apprenticeship is good but for person who is okay health wise.

Imagine me a Type 1 Diabetic doing apprenticeship. How am I going to buy my regular expensive drugs. Internet marketing business is a business that can help me
Sorry to hear that bro.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by MartinsD12(m): 2:03pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
“School is scam”
Why then is there no cluster of youths learning skills or businesses?

People in business, what has been your experience with apprentices?
Igba boy is good if you get a good oga who can teach you business and settle you very well at the end but then majority of the oga's are very stingy, my immediate younger brother did boy for 9 years, imagine settling him with 1million naira in this present economic situation, he learnt building materials, what can 1million do in setting up such a capital intensive building materials business, infact the oga told him to look for family relations who can support him with more money to set up the business, infact building material will require for a start 20 to 25 million naira at least, somebody did boy you for a whole 9 Years you settle him with just 1million, same thing happened to one of our kinsman who served the same oga like ten years, same 1million naira the guy just went and learn how to do plumbing work because that 1million can't do anything as regards setting up building material business, my brother will venture into clothing material business, so what am trying to say here is the settlement for Igba boy is pure slavery, if not for the extra money my brother saved over the years when he became a senior apprenticeship I wonder how he would have been catering with expenses.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 06, 2021
Mstick:
It's not even about not wanting to learn but the kind of oppressive society we are in. You see all this "oga and madam" they still want to benefit from the old ways of doing thing plus the new ways.

I wanted to learn to make hair, just basic styles I had no plans of opening a salon, the woman told me the amount I will pay, plus groundnut, carton of malt,wine for her and campari for her husband. In the olden days you bring items to learn but not money, but she expects me to pay her, buy things for her and her husband and still as grown as I was I will be running errands.

So tell me how many people from poor families can actually afford this requirement?

Lol! I say no wahala. I've data. I learnt making hair through YouTube.

Na to kuku sleep with her husband nau, so the equation go complete.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by djon78(m): 2:08pm On Nov 06, 2021
Beninwitch:
No lies. The boy learning with the vulacnizer at my junction absconded. They guy is now driving Keke and playing loud music about. Once, they touch money that's the end. They don't have patience to learn a skill or to serve. They want to start making money immediately.

You want him to be learning vulcanizer with the present harsh economic realities

Keke riding is better for him to make ends meet.

Present economic realities has killed the morale of many young people

After school no job
After apprentice, you are not guaranteed anything

Nigeria is at a serious crossroad
If the present rulers don't put on there thinking Cap
And find a way to get things working
Only a matter of time
We will see more

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by OlujobaSamuel: 2:17pm On Nov 06, 2021
Unwillingness of apprentice to endure/persevere
Wickedness of the boss/master
Economy.
I met a girl trekking 4km to go get a material just because no one close by has it, I asked why she was trekking with baby on her back, she said she wasn't given tfare, I was like, in this age??
So getting back home, I challenged the boss, she said she too did more than that, so she can't give her tfare to get anything. (This is not the even the Igbo system that the boss will set you up after graduation)
Another case, my wife went for further training after knowing little at a place, she had an agreement on resumption and closing time, she said the boss will just go and chit chat till when she is about to leave and starts working late so she won't see anything done.
She changed to another place, after paying everything to start, when it was time to leave, the list she was given then, was more than the bride price I paid for her.
She eventually begged her to accept a token of 30k and some other stuffs last year.
I was like, can't you just ignore her, you have a certificate from govt sponsored training, you have your business registered with CAC too, but she said she just want peace.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
Way back when you go to get your hair done, you will almost beg for breathing space because as the shop owner is making the hair, almost 6 girls are struggling to see what she is doing. Both the ones that smell good and the ones that don’t.

The good part was you don’t have to be giving attachment (I haven’t met just one lady that loves doing this). These days ehn, na just you and the hairdresser with her crying and restless toddler. cheesy
E be like say na comfam hairdresser you be with this your description..
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Landlord97: 2:28pm On Nov 06, 2021
People are still practicing the igba boyi but in minimal way,as everyone wants quick money, no patience.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by sageb: 2:29pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
“School is scam”

Succintly said Kwin Pocohantas
The get-rich quick syndrome by adolescents/youths of nowadays have led to the decline of the apprenticeship scheme.
Another reason is lack of sponsorship of skills acquisition programmes by those in power/position of authority.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by AchalugoNwa(f): 2:33pm On Nov 06, 2021
[s]
EraseTheDot:
The system has become modern day slavery. Those ibo men go to the village to bring those boys and then turn them to slaves, they make them sleep in the shop, while oga madam brings food for them the next day, she instructs some of the boys to go home and clean up the children's poo. Their oga sometimes delay in settling them after end of service, he might even accuse the boys of stealing his money and then hand them over to the police to be beaten up and detained just because he doesn't want to settle the them.
Having seen the maltreatment become popular among their ogas, they either japa with any amount they can steal from their oga & start life afresh or join yahoo as a means of escape.

erase the dot
[/s]
trash
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Halo22: 2:34pm On Nov 06, 2021
The fact remains that there's a problem along the line on the both side (the apprentice and the boss). If the system really helped in establishing our people for wealth, I think it is time our leaders restructured the system for proper regulation by the govt. Take for instance, before you take up an apprentice, there should be a surety who stands in for the apprentice. On the side of the bosses, they should also sign an undertaking never to disappoint the boys after serving them.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by WHITELIGHTER: 2:34pm On Nov 06, 2021
I have long been saying this...the effect of yahoo yahoo and oloshoism will be badly felt in the long run...Young ones now prefer quick bucks that to learn a skill or even go to school. it took me 5months before I could get a girl to help manage my shop.
For the girls, Badoo and instamessage is their new domain, while others are stationed at Agip or Asotime in Benin City, whereas the boys are all in HK hustling. Hausa boys are now the new area boys in Benin.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nemesis08(m): 2:35pm On Nov 06, 2021
Another problem with this is that the Ogas of these days are very diabolical and wicked, a boy will suffer serving you for about 6 or 7 years, just few months to settle him, Oga will come up with funny trumped up accusations just to sack the boy without settling him.
Then on the part of the boys, the Ogas have learnt bitter lessons from the boys sleeping with Madam (oga wife) or giving oga daughter belle or even running away with oga money. Such a perverted Era we are in

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 06, 2021
deepwater:
Nigeria would surfer a decrease of good mechanics in the next 15 years...

Nobody dey learn work again
Both GOOD CASKET makers too
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Olam09(m): 2:38pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
“School is scam”

What if they don't want to learn trade.. what if they wanted to be a lawyer or doctor making them more focused on their studies.. you think people who don't learn trade will never make it in life? Are you trynna encourage modern slavery.. mind you i learnt a trade and i knew how bad it was there.. the oga repeatedly beatings, envy because you're slightly skilled than him.. trade is not for everyone and not every young people are into Yahoo.

2 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by chanx: 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2021
deepwater:
Nigeria would surfer a decrease of good mechanics in the next 15 years...

Nobody dey learn work again

Not only mechanics but in some others like tailoring, carpentry etc
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by gtrust: 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2021
It’s not about how much your Oga settled you with. It’s not about that one million or 100-million.
It’s about what you have learnt, what connections, suppliers and hardworking mentality.

If you know where to get goods at certain price and sell somewhere else at a higher price AFTER expenses then you will make it big. That’s what apprenticeship is all about. Puts you as a member of a network. You become an insider! Money cannot buy this!!

Unruly7:
I did boy boy for 8 years in Abuja between 2008 to January 2017
I was given 1m to start business

My good friend I met in the market too after he served his oga for 9 years they chased him out because of 40k they found under his bed

My other guy had issues with his Oga because he bought bag to be putting sales money without telling his Oga

What boys go through in the hands of the so called Oga isn't funny at all especially when your freedom is getting close

After they gave me 1m they still set me up with phone they almost arrested me as God may have it
Phone fell out of my madam clothes

It was a disgraceful thing that day
She did apologize to me

But till today me and her no de talk

They been wan ruin me

I senior my boss kids but he'd first daughter don ever slap me by order from her mother
All because I wake up to go pee in bathroom unfortunately I mate the small in the bathroom

My offence was I didn't knock before enter meanwhile the girl didn't close the bathroom door door because of fear

Well she asked her daughter to slap me infront of my Oga and other kids

My boss felt bad but can't talk
The wife is bossy

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wrong Credit Alert , How Do I Locate And Refund The Owner / Tony Elumelu Visits The Pyramids In Egypt (Photos) / Tony Elumelu And Akon Pictured Together Enjoying Boat Cruise In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.