Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? (36670 Views)

Does The Bible Really Condemn Polygamy Marriage ? / Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says / Did The Bible Really Say That A Woman Must Marry Her Rapist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by englishmart(m): 9:13am On Nov 07, 2021
In the old, people like Solomon, David, Jacob, etc married more than one wife. God is still God and doesn't change. Do you think He now sees something wrong in marring more than one wife?

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Amotolongbo(f): 9:17am On Nov 07, 2021
englishmart:
In the old, people like Solomon, David, Jacob, etc married more than one wife. God is still God and doesn't change. Do you think He now sees something wrong in marring more than one wife?

2 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Righteousness2(m): 9:18am On Nov 07, 2021
GOD'S Standard from the beginning remains One man one wife.
GOD'S Standard is HE hates Divorce.

Jacob, Solomon , Religion, Culture, Society or whoever are not the standard. The Word of GOD is the Standard .

Read Matthew 19: 4-9 to know GOD'S Standard!

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them Male and Female .
(Not Male and Females or Vice versa)

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his Wife(Not Wives): and they twain shall be one flesh?

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Anything apart from GOD'S Standard is SIN. It is Fornication, Adultery and Man/ woman Decieving themselves!

185 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by englishmart(m): 9:19am On Nov 07, 2021
Righteousness2:
Ok
Edit it fast please.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by malvisguy212: 9:36am On Nov 07, 2021
from Genesis, when God created man and woman, automatically , marraige was design, one man and his wife. God never told Abraham, isaac , Jacob ,David etc to marry more than one wife. and God will not override your will. and all this names above, there marriage is full with up and down.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by daddytime(m): 10:00am On Nov 07, 2021
Righteousness2:
Jacob, Solomon , Society or whoever are not the standard. The Word of GOD is the Standard .

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Hmmm...

The last paragraph of your comment is agreeable because it has happened to me.

It never bodes well and brings chaos.

Guys need to be very wary of getting entangled with women who lie about being divorced. Na spiritual wahala dem dey carry come oh. It's same for both sexes I'm sure.

You'd be asking yourself why nothing is going right with you not knowing you have been conned into putting a grenade in your pockets.

Life big jare but we learn everyday..

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Oksman(m): 2:13pm On Nov 07, 2021
Righteousness2:
Jacob, Solomon , Society or whoever are not the standard. The Word of GOD is the Standard .

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

You did not answer the question.

115 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by englishmart(m): 9:26am On Mar 12, 2022
Oksman:

He's always circumlocutory

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Acehart: 10:04am On Mar 12, 2022
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. - 1 Cor.11:1

The above is a command (with the tone of a plea). Christ is our example and we are told to imitate God.

Did God marry? Yes. The Book of Hosea is an epilogue of God’s marriage: He marries a woman, she is grossly unfaithful and He still loves in spite of her worthlessness. Hosea 3:1 gives a succinct view of God’s view on marriage: “Go and love your wife again, even though she commits adultery with another lover. This will illustrate that the LORD still loves Israel”- one wife for life.

We follow God’s illustration and not the illustration from any man.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by englishmart(m): 5:49am On Mar 13, 2022
Acehart:
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. - 1 Cor.11:1

The above is a command (with the tone of a plea). Christ is our example and we are told to imitate God.

Did God marry? Yes. The Book of Hosea is an epilogue of God’s marriage: He marries a woman, she is grossly unfaithful and He still loves in spite of her worthlessness. Hosea 3:1 gives a succinct view of God’s view on marriage: “Go and love your wife again, even though she commits adultery with another lover. This will illustrate that the LORD still loves Israel”- one wife for life.

We follow God’s illustration and not the illustration from any man.
inasmuch as it's expedient to marry just one wife, do you think it would be counted as a sin to marry more than one wife?

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by helinues: 5:54am On Mar 13, 2022
So people still look up to all this fairy tale books to make personal decision that would affect their lives?

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Acehart: 6:41am On Mar 13, 2022
englishmart:
inasmuch as it's expedient to marry just one wife, do you think it would be counted as a sin to marry more than one wife?

I’d like to ask you for your understanding of the word “Sin”; what is Sin?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:15am On Mar 13, 2022
God did not condemn it. Neither are you going to hell fire for marrying more than one wife.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by AntiChristian: 7:36am On Mar 13, 2022
It is often said that Yahweh/Jehovah/Jesus of the Christians prescribe one man for one woman so how come tens of Prophets/men of God had more than one wives and or concubines?

Cain's son Lamech and Moses had 2 wives. David had 8 wives! Solomon 300 wives and 700 concubines! Gideon had many wives!
Deuteronomy 21:1-17 suggest marriage of multiple wives including captured prisoners gotten from conquests.

Elkanah a godly man and father of Samuel had 2 wives. Abraham, the father of faith had two wives!

In 2 Samuel 12 when the prophet Nathan confronts David over his sin with Bathsheba, we read: "This is what the Lord God of Israel says: 'I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I have given you your master's house and your master's wives into your bosom … and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and as if this wasn't enough, I would have given you even more."

Is it that all of these men of God were not guided (by the Holy spirit) in their marriages?

And lastly Yahweh prescribed law to protect first wife in Polygamy- Exo 21:10 "If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights."

Why this law since Yahweh/Jehovah is against polygamy?

We just need answers to the questions in red!

Polygamy is not a sin! God is not the author of confusion!

102 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:51am On Mar 13, 2022
englishmart:

"He Made them male and female" is The Law! Not male and females.

This sin started because Lamech, grandson of the son of evil, Cain, did it.

Exactly as that pigeon bastard who killed and ate a pigeon has now done. Now some other idiot down the line will think it is ok to eat pigeons, yet wondering why it is wrong.

https://www.nairaland.com/7020892/caught-pigeon-flying-room-cooked#110865320

This is the case of "i have done it and see God did not punish me."

Not knowing or hearing what God hath Said "Nevertheless, IN THE DAY WHEN I VISIT, I Will Visit their Sin Upon Them"

2 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:55am On Mar 13, 2022
daddytime:

Hmmm...

The last paragraph of your comment is agreeable because it has happened to me.

It never bodes well and brings chaos.

Guys need to be very wary of getting entangled with women who lie about being divorced. Na spiritual wahala dem dey carry come oh. It's same for both sexes I'm sure.

You'd be asking yourself why nothing is going right with you not knowing you have been conned into putting a grenade in your pockets.

Life big jare but we learn everyday..

Oh, brother thank you for letting the world know The Truth.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:56am On Mar 13, 2022
Oksman:

He Answered it. He stated The Law!

So, does the Bible condemn, may be no. But surely, Condemnation and Acquittal comes from The Law.

And, the Bible may not have condemned as you are seeking for, but you or The Law or another, can condemn.

Whichever one you want, is your choice to choose

8 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:04am On Mar 13, 2022
helinues:
So people still look up to all this fairy tale books to make personal decision that would affect their lives?

At least, you have exercised your own choice. And whatever you see na you carry am for head.

Therefore, others have a right to freely choose what they shall carry on their heads.

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:06am On Mar 13, 2022
TOPCRUISE:
God did not condemn it. Neither are you going to hell fire for marrying more than one wife.

O Judgement Day! What a great day of shocks and shouting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by helinues: 8:10am On Mar 13, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

At least, you have exercised your own choice. And whatever you see na you carry am for head.

Therefore, others have a right to freely choose what they shall carry on their heads.

grin cheesy

Tell that to the sheepishs

5 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:14am On Mar 13, 2022
AntiChristian:

Cain's son Lamech

See, you chose the grandson son of the son of evil to make your case instead of the Son of Righteousness.

AntiChristian:

and Moses had 2 wives.

Moses did not have 2 wives, he had one.

His first wife completely and law fully put him away. She rejected both him and God.

This is where you see what "God hath Joined together, He has a Right to put asunder'

And He is The Law of both Marriage and Divorce.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:15am On Mar 13, 2022
helinues:

grin cheesy

Tell that to the sheepishs

That one is for you.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by AntiChristian: 8:16am On Mar 13, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

See, you chose the grandson son of the son of evil to make your case instead of the Son of Righteousness.

Moses did not have 2 wives, he had one.

His first wife completely and law fully put him away. She rejected both him and God.

This is where you see what "God hath Joined together, He has a Right to put asunder'

And He is The Law of both Marriage and Divorce.

What about the others? It hasn't finished!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:31am On Mar 13, 2022
AntiChristian:

What about the others? It hasn't finished!

David nearly died in it but was very very lucky to escape. Thus, he is the True Wisest man in the world.

Solomon died in it and did not escape. Therefore, he was not the wisest man in the world.

Gideon's case is Sub Judice!

3 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by AntiChristian: 8:36am On Mar 13, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

David nearly died in it but was very very lucky to escape. Thus, he is the True Wisest man in the world.

Solomon died in it and did not escape. Therefore, he was not the wisest man in the world.

Gideon's case is Sub Judice!

You're an expert in giving excuse!

Continue! Why did God made law protecting the first wife's...? Why give people more wives when one is enough?

24 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by englishmart(m): 9:54am On Mar 13, 2022
Acehart:

I’d like to ask you for your understanding of the word “Sin”; what is Sin?
Any act that transgresses against divine law, or an act of unrighteousness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Divoc19(f): 10:00am On Mar 13, 2022
I doubt if it does.
Most early christians in Africa married more than one

8 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by OlawaleBammie: 10:01am On Mar 13, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

O Judgement Day! What a great day of shocks and shouting.

Which jujment day??

Are u telling me that Abraham, David, Solomon, and the rest are in hellfire as we speak??

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by cardoctor(m): 10:01am On Mar 13, 2022
S

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Pope Francis Threatens To Fire Nigerian Priests / Man And His Horse Wearing Lord's Chosen Apron (Photo) / Dunamis: Miracle Claim Causes Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.