Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,685 members, 7,801,971 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census (35568 Views)

Tinubu Bans Political Groups In Lagos As War With Aregbesola Worsens Over 2023 / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Americans Debate The Most Popular African Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LegendHero(m): 11:01pm On Nov 11, 2021
scholes0:

But think about this, Ghana , a country of 30 million people has 162 K people in the US. If we were to go by fair representation , Nigerians with 6.5 times more people with over 200 million should have at least 1.1 million people in the US proportionally.

The truth is that Compared to our population, the figure for Nigeria is very very low.

Yeah your sentiment is correct. I am thinking the USA visa systematic visa restriction to Nigerians could also be the cause of the low numbers.

Coz I am very sure most Nigerians don't usually come back home so our numbers should have been hitting that 700k upward judging that we intermarry well with blacks.

In this data, do they count someone with multi-nationality as part of Nigerian numbers?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Putindbutt: 11:03pm On Nov 11, 2021
Jimasun:

I don't even argue with them. I always laugh at them
If you want to have a good laugh, listen to ibo lies and exaggerations. You can never beat them to how they twist facts and self aggrandize.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Jimasun: 11:04pm On Nov 11, 2021
gentiles:

Another flimsy excuse, wake up to reality and accept documented facts
Imagine talking about Africa Magic when we are talking about real time data. Lmao

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LegendHero(m): 11:04pm On Nov 11, 2021
OfoIgbo:

I don't remember arguing with you on this topic.

I'm even surprised Igbo speaking families are that much. Most ethnic Igbos don't bother teaching their kids Igbo, and that is why the EPIC channel on AfRICA Magic is the most widely viewed channel, on DSTV.

Now even though I don't have this data, but I expect the AM Yoruba channel on DSTV to be more widely viewed than the AM Igbo channel, b cause Igbos are much more likely to be watching AM Epic, which is 95% dominated by Igbo culture and settings.

I am not sure why Africa Magic comes into this tho.

However, that wouldn't count in this instance with the USA data. Even if you are going to account for margin of error as those that doesn't speak the language, it will be too infinitesimal to affect the data integrity.

We Nigerians don't speak our language as those Ethiopians, Ghanians, and etc. Yet you can see the Yorubas having more population than those speakers. So your argument that the Igbo number could be because of language is funny and dosen't correlate.

The only valid argument for this is that the Yorubas are far more in numbers in the USA than any other West African ethnic group.

40 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by scholes0(m): 11:04pm On Nov 11, 2021
OfoIgbo:

I'm even surprised Igbo speaking families are that much. Most ethnic Igbos don't bother teaching their kids Igbo, and that is why the EPIC channel on AfRICA Magic is the most widely viewed channel, on DSTV.

Now even though I don't have this data, but I expect the AM Yoruba channel on DSTV to be more widely viewed than the AM Igbo channel, b cause Igbos are much more likely to be watching AM Epic, which is 95% dominated by Igbo culture and settings.

Language attrition affects most Nigerian groups abroad at almost equal or similar levels. Even if there are nominal differences it shouldn't be bad to heavily throw off the figures by multiple factors. Africans like Somalis, Ethiopians and even Ghanaians are much more in tune with their indigenous languages and pass it on to their children compared to Nigerians across board.

As for Africa Magic channels, of course AM Yoruba is much more watched than AM Igbo. All Nigerians from all regions watch General AM channel from Benue to Ogun to Rivers.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by UndauntedYOCA(f): 11:05pm On Nov 11, 2021
Ajala travel the world. grin grin grin grin
Just check my signature, me set wan travel. grin
Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by gentiles(m): 11:05pm On Nov 11, 2021
countryfive:

Benin republic and some part of Togo speak yoruba
And are all in west Africa.
Lies. Egun language is different from Yoruba.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Jimasun: 11:06pm On Nov 11, 2021
Putindbutt:

If you want to have a good laugh, listen to ibo lies and exaggerations. You can't never beat them to how they twist facts and self aggrandize.
The kind of exaggerations those guys make ehn, Goebbels will be willing to have tutorials under them

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by christistruth01: 11:09pm On Nov 11, 2021
Jimasun:

I don't even argue with them. I always laugh at them

The gap isn't small more than 50,000

Both Kenyans and Ghanaians told me they noticed that when a Yoruba person enters the UK he will not be able to eat or sleep properly until he gets all his mothers Children into the UK and that is why the numbers of Yorubas abroad are high

I just laughed it off

Lets just thank God for all his tender Mercies because some of them would be fighting themselves from Nigeria

Then they will have a brief Ceasefire while the one in UK is Processing the Papers for the Sibling in Nigeria to Travel and join him then they will resume fighting themselves when the other one reaches the UK and has settled down and then they both will have another Ceasefire so that they can both work on bringing another of their Siblings to the UK from Nigeria

When the 3rd Sibling reaches London. from Nigeria he will now act as the referee and Peacemaker when the first 2 Siblings that brought him to the UK resume their fight

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Jimasun: 11:09pm On Nov 11, 2021
gentiles:

Lies. Egun language is different from Yoruba.
There are Yorubas in Benin and Togo truly

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by DOTian: 11:12pm On Nov 11, 2021
Eastern Nigeria needs to have western consulates there. Obviously people residing around Lagos get to access the services of these embassies and consulates easier and quicker. Every single Igbo man that travelled legitimately out of Nigeria MUST visit either Lagos or lately Abuja for his Visas! None of you non easterners have ever visited Enugu, Port Harcourt or Owerri for both your travelling papers or departure from Nigeria. This has taken it's tole overtime. I know of atleast 3 people who have died while either travelling down the East after landing in Lagos, or while running around to travel out..
None of you from the west or North go through these. These are basic obstacles that easterners face just to travel out of the country which have been normalized overtime..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by horsepower102: 11:14pm On Nov 11, 2021
OfoIgbo:

A lot of Igbos dont let their kids speak Igbo at home. Even in lagos, there are so many Igbo children that cannot speak Igbo. This is one area that I respect the yorubas.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by horsepower102: 11:18pm On Nov 11, 2021
LegendHero:

I am not sure why Africa Magic comes into this tho.

However, that wouldn't count in this instance with the USA data. Even if you are going to account for margin of error as those that doesn't speak the language, it will be too infinitesimal to affect the data integrity.

We Nigerians don't speak our language as those Ethiopians, Ghanians, and etc. Yet you can see the Yorubas having more population than those speakers. So your argument that the Igbo number could be because of language is funny and dosen't correlate.

The only valid argument for this is that the Yorubas are far more in numbers in the USA than any other West African ethnic group.

Actually does correlate

Igbos are known for not passing down the language to their children. Even kids born in lagos cannot speak igbo. A lot of Igbo parents have failed in this aspect.

One thing about yorubas unlike Igbos is that Yorubas teach their children their language. Igbo parents fail woefully in this area all the time. This happens even in Nigeria.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Putindbutt: 11:18pm On Nov 11, 2021
OfoIgbo:

I haven't seen anyone yet who wriggles as much lies as ibos. But I can't be more shocked at saying AM EPIC, a more general channel, is 95% dominated by ibo culture and setting than AM IBO which is 100% ibo centric.
I shouldn't really be any more shocked.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LegendHero(m): 11:21pm On Nov 11, 2021
DOTian:
Eastern Nigeria needs to have western consulates there. Obviously people residing around Lagos get to access the services of these embassies and consulates easier and quicker. Every single Igbo man that travelled legitimately out of Nigeria MUST visit either Lagos or lately Abuja for his Visas! None of you non easterners have ever visited Enugu, Port Harcourt or Owerri for both your travelling papers or departure from Nigeria. This has taken it's tole overtime. I know of atleast 3 people who have died while either travelling down the East after landing in Lagos, or while running around to travel out..
None of you from the west or North go through these. These are basic obstacles that easterners face just to travel out of the country which have been normalized overtime..

Really? What about people living in Abuja? Why are they not getting visa due to the proximity to the embassy because going by your logic we should have more Hausa/Fulanis/Middle belt people in Western countries by now.

Why must you guys always find excuses to everything in life? Is this like a kind of genetics issue?

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by udede(m): 11:25pm On Nov 11, 2021
But how would all these save Nigeria from buhari ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by SlayerForever: 11:26pm On Nov 11, 2021
Reflect7:

Yeah sure.......Anambra people who held a free and fair Nigerian election - something which your IPOB dictators could never permit in a - 'Biafra', are all ''unIty beggars''.

Go and sleep abeg.

More coded unity begging.

1 Like

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LegendHero(m): 11:26pm On Nov 11, 2021
horsepower102:

Actually does correlate

Igbos are known for not passing down the language to their children. Even kids born in lagos cannot speak igbo. A lot of Igbo parents have failed in this aspect.

One thing about yorubas unlike Igbos is that Yorubas teach their children their language. Igbo parents fail woefully in this area all the time. This happens even in Nigeria.

Let me ask you a question.

If they ask an Ibo guy in USA that what is his indigenous language spoken other than English, what will be his response? Remember not being able to speak a language fluently does not mean you will say no when asked question about it.

Remember that most kids born in the USA whether Yoruba or Igbo usually have issues with speaking their languages fluently, some even just understand and can't speak. I have countless Yorubas that were born here that can't speak the language but they hear.

Trust me bro, we don't speak our language like the Ethiopians, those guys dey chew their language and culture like boli and yet you still see them not up to the Yorubas. This is data, you can't fight against it and even if we are going to be liberal enough to give margin of error, the difference cannot alter the objectivity of the data as a source of truth.

33 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by realestate99: 11:29pm On Nov 11, 2021
LegendHero:

Really? What about people living in Abuja? Why are they not getting visa due to the proximity to the embassy because going by your logic we should have more Hausa/Fulanis/Middle belt people in Western countries by now.

Why must you guys always find excuses to everything in life? Is this like a kind of genetics issue?

lol, it is indeed genetic, I think they are cursed by this " we against the world " mentality, no matter how sound academically some of them can be, they still come up with silly and basic excuses to patch their inadequacies.

I think their gross inferiority complex is remotely caused by the loss of the war, it has embedded a huge victim mentality in their DNA no matter how successful they can be.

The way they exaggerate petty stuffs to massage their ego shows a group eager to dominate others but lacks depth and tact. personally I do not rate any of them both online and offline,.............a person with quick emotional outbursts should be avoided by all means

48 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Putindbutt: 11:32pm On Nov 11, 2021
horsepower102:

A lot of Igbos dont let their kids speak Igbo at home. Even in lagos, there are so many Igbo children that cannot speak Igbo. This is one area that I respect the yorubas.

Another lies. In Lagos, Ibos dey tear their language die. Ibos have several unions whereby they usually hangout for the culture. I have seen them hang out from house to house alongside their kids. I doubt there is any ibo kid who do not understand the language of ibo. To be frank, they might not have been to their villages in ages but hardly would you see an ibo woman who does not impact the language and culture on their kids.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LegendHero(m): 11:35pm On Nov 11, 2021
realestate99:

lol, it is indeed genetic, I think they are cursed by this " we against the world " mentality, no matter how sound academically some of them can be, they still come up with silly and basic excuses to patch their inadequacies.

I think their gross inferiority complex is remotely caused by the loss of the war, it has embedded a huge victim mentality in their DNA no matter how successful they can be.

@the bolded, that is the main issue. They exhibit the same gross inferiority complex, bitterness, and the "world against us" like the black Americans due to slavery.

If you study the blacks well too you will see they are also bedeviled with the same problem. That psychological issue will not leave anytime soon except probably when Nigeria separate and they have their own countries.

Until then, we just have to tolerate them.

22 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by AmbaliJ: 11:39pm On Nov 11, 2021
gentiles:
But igbos always claim to be the majority in USA grin grin grin

Igbos are the majority of Nigerians you will find in some useless countries like Cambodia, Vietnam, Papua New Guinea, Bangladesh, Suriname, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, India, Mumushia, Oloshia, Wereyshia, Alakorishia, etc.

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by realestate99: 11:41pm On Nov 11, 2021
mancoconut:

Psychoanalyst on Igbo affairs, we might as well attribute the fetish and dirty nature of yoroubas to their love for ritual killings, incest, cyber fraud and genetic stupidity?
There is no crime alien to your people, all the crimes you listed above are hobbies your people do for fun, and about dirtiness, we all can see how major Igbo dominated markets looks like nationwide or we should talk about that cesspit in Aba

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Putindbutt: 11:42pm On Nov 11, 2021
The thread is unusually cold. I was expecting the usual "we dominate the US kinda chest beating". I am surprised that so far the narratives are fast changing to excuses in the face of a humbling statistics.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by TAO11(f): 11:44pm On Nov 11, 2021
Being ethnically Igbo is one thing, being able to speak Igbo is another thing.

I’m shocked that some of our brothers from the east are pretending to be unaware of this difference.

The data is simply about the ethnicity, not about the ability to speak the language.

Whether you (can) speak Igbo or not, you are Igbo if you are Igbo.

Stop the childish excuses. You’re not that much in ‘the abroad’. Simple as A-B-C.

LegendHero.

52 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by LegendHero(m): 11:48pm On Nov 11, 2021
TAO11:
Being ethnically Igbo is one thing, being able to speak Igbo is another thing.

I’m shocked that some of our brothers from the east are pretending to be unaware of this difference.

The data is simply about the ethnicity, not about the ability to speak the language.

Whether you (can) speak Igbo or not, you are Igbo if you are Igbo.

Stop the childish excuses. You’re not that much in ‘the abroad’. Simple as A-B-C.

LegendHero.

Lobatan, Professor TAO already don stamp am.

It is very simple as A-B-C. Maybe we should write it in Ibo language so our brothers from the East can understand this simple thing.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by Putindbutt: 11:50pm On Nov 11, 2021
mancoconut:

Psychoanalyst on Igbo affairs, we might as well attribute the fetish and dirty nature of yoroubas to their love for ritual killings, incest, cyber fraud and genetic stupidity?
You come around to throw dirt when your head is empty of a factual rebuttal.

https://www.nairaland.com/6844736/father-arrested-killing-son-money

14 Likes

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by mancoconut: 11:51pm On Nov 11, 2021
realestate99:

There is no crime alien to your people, all the crimes you listed above are hobbies your people do for fun, and about dirtiness, we all can see how major Igbo dominated markets looks like nationwide or we should talk about that cesspit in Aba
But your people find every opportunity to call out the Igbos for crime and are experts at profiling us, yet some of the worst criminals in Nigerian history have been Yorubas, the pioneers of armed robbery in Nigeria were Yorubas (we know about Ishola Oyenusi and Shina Rambo), your people dominate the FBI list for most wanted cyber fraud criminals; ditto EFCC... you pigs should be the last people to morally demean the Igbos, I can tolerate a Northerner questioning our morality than a bloody Yoruba!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by mancoconut: 11:54pm On Nov 11, 2021
Putindbutt:

You come around to throw dirt when you head is empty of a factual rebuttal.

https://www.nairaland.com/6844736/father-arrested-killing-son-money
I can easily flood this thread with limitless reports of ritual killings in the SW and I know you don't want me to go there, I just don't want to deflect the purpose the thread was created for grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by gentiles(m): 11:54pm On Nov 11, 2021
mancoconut:

Lol! Thanks to access to internet, we now know that south east is the dirtiest region in the country. Your markets, schools are the worst and most disgusting place one can ever be.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Check Out The Largest West African Ethnic Groups In The USA According To Census by mancoconut: 11:56pm On Nov 11, 2021
gentiles:

Lol! Thanks to access to internet, we now know that south east is the dirtiest region in the country. Your markets, schools are the worst and most disgusting place one can ever be.
Ibadan alone has the largest slums per square foot mile than any city in Nigeria, let's not even go there right now grin grin grin

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

Seriake Dickson Moves To Join Apc / 2 Reps Members: Goodhead, Awaji Lead Solidarity Walk For Fubara / Tinubu,alaafin,bisi Akande,gowon In Ibadan 4 Abiola Ajimobi Roundtable Meeting(p

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.