Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? (10240 Views)

Which should I choose? HELP!!! / Digital Marketing Or Data Analysis, Which Part Should I Choose? / Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by Grand194: 8:28pm On Nov 16, 2021
I work as a senior brand designer in one of the multinationals in the country. My being there sparked my interest in building a career in marketing.

I am from an Electrical Electronics Engineering background. While in school i loved both engineering and graphics design. I have also wanted the opportunity of working for brands to change or improve consumer perception of a product from ideation to final production.

Here's the thing, I want to start a career in marketing if I'm to remain in Nigeria next year, I'd have to take the necessary certifications needed and jobs that will get me to the peak of the career. On the other hand, I want to continue my career in Engineering. This would mean I travel out of the country for masters and stay there for the next 10 years building that dream.

Reason is the discipline of Engineering I chose, getting jobs is not easy in Nigeria, especially when you want to grow in the core of electrical /electronics engineering and make good money. Please not companies like Ikedc.

Now I'm confused on which to go for. I completed my youth service last year. I'm just starting life fully and don't want to waste time and opportunities.

What path would you advise me to take and why?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by Unityp: 3:42pm On Nov 17, 2021
Choose where you have your passion and ask God to bless Ur hussle

15 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by FahBuLous: 3:42pm On Nov 17, 2021
Go for engineering...
You will be happy you went for it...
Anything to leave this shit hole called Nigeria is a go go...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by Omniman(m): 3:42pm On Nov 17, 2021
cool

Dear Op.
Don't be confused.

S.T.E.M

Science
Technology
Engineering
Maths

That's the future...

An average Nigerian marketer shoe looks like this.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by BIGDADDY000(m): 3:42pm On Nov 17, 2021
YOU SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH, AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!...

Go back to your source and original profession,

with ENGINEERING you have more advantages than one glorified slave call MARKETERS.

13 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by buygala(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2021
Grand194:
I work as a senior brand designer in one of the multinationals in the country. My being there sparked my interest in building a career in marketing.

I am from an Electrical Electronics Engineering background. While in school i loved both engineering and graphics design. I have also wanted the opportunity of working for brands to change or improve consumer perception of a product from ideation to final production.
Mn
Here's the thing, I want to start a career in marketing if I'm to remain in Nigeria next year, I'd have to take the necessary certifications needed and jobs that will get me to the peak of the career. On the other hand, I want to continue my career in Engineering. This would mean I travel out of the country for masters and stay there for the next 10 years building that dream.

Reason is the discipline of Engineering I chose, getting jobs is not easy in Nigeria, especially when you want to grow in the core of electrical /electronics engineering and make good money. Please not companies like Ikedc.

Now I'm confused on which to go for. I completed my youth service last year. I'm just starting life fully and don't want to waste time and opportunities.

Go to the abroad

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by NwaNimo1(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2021

12 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by beautyfunke(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2021
Grand194:

go for anyone joor, life is not about qualifications but grace..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by okeyumez(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2021
With your Engineering certificate you can also be a good marketer provided you can do make a good presentation.
Why not work first in any engineering company for better practical experience before going for masters in engineering. Why is black man too keen about masters certificate? Masters certificate is good but highly overrated and doesn't make the holder better than field engineers with less than first degree. HND holder in China/ Japan is far far better than a Nigerian with
PhD in engineering. We only use our multiple degrees to speak grammar and deceit. Producing zero

18 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by temitope27(m): 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2021
Choose woman abeg, and thank me later

2 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by justdogitto: 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2021
wink

1 Like

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by seanwilliam(m): 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2021
Marketing

Most people that studied engineering in Nigeria are now working in different fields not related to their course of study. It’s hard to get a job with that course grin.. As far as you’re in Nigeria , I’ll suggest you go for marketing— you can always land a part time job for marketing or you create one yourself . DYOR..

grin

Buying all types of Giftcards and PayPal funds . Tested and trusted, check my siggy
Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by Elsueno: 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2021
Just do ur engineering, technology is already taking over... marketing will be breeze. Plus if u are in Nigeria, marketing job go tire u sef, cause 80% of the jobs available is marketing.

One of the few characteristics of marketers is they are extremely dubious, speak half truths & compel/confused/convince people into buying what they don't actually need. But don't believe me, just watch around

6 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by bigdammyj: 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2021
Both.

Choose Engineering and start marketing it

8 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by Abalado(f): 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2021
Meet ur pastor and pray about it , u won't get a right answer here

1 Like

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by Cerebellum: 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2021
Marketing+ Engineering= Big pot belly politiciangrin

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by EmzyT: 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2021
Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by jarvis4: 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2021
Carry am go court and it will settled
Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2021
Go and do marketing!! There are online marketing skills you can learn right after

Doing engineer in Nigeria
Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by calculator123(m): 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2021
Choose the marketing, you can never be jobless as a good salesman

2 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by wallrichy: 3:46pm On Nov 17, 2021
Pick Marketing Engineering. It's a new course in most University in Nigeria. It's very lucrative also....LOL

3 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by na2016: 3:46pm On Nov 17, 2021
Grand194:

OP: Follow your EEE route and thank me later. That course and computer science are selling like mad outside this country. Any idiot can be a marketer and get certifications

7 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by Lemmy123(m): 3:46pm On Nov 17, 2021
Eweeeyyyy!

The engineering path is very lucrative but you might only be opportuned to get a good job in that field in abroad.. Provided you have the means, you should go for that one

As for graphics, you have be really exceptional to stand out in the competition for graphic design jobs. The competition is maddening, in every corner, there's a graphics guy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by Badguy77(m): 3:47pm On Nov 17, 2021
Oga follow engineering and leave this trash of a country...

3 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by dododawa1: 3:47pm On Nov 17, 2021
Life is a CHOICE,oga pick your future yourself GBAM.
Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by pode(m): 3:47pm On Nov 17, 2021
Engineering
Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by chloride6: 3:47pm On Nov 17, 2021
You don fee graduate?

What do you do better?
Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by kingsleefolli(m): 3:47pm On Nov 17, 2021
Add both marketing engineering,anything goes in naija now. Snake swallow money.monkey carry one bag of rice for head.next
Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2021
Go and Learn Civil Engineering.

My Bro graduated as a Chemical Engineer after the search for job he settled as a Secondary school teacher grin

After two years he got tired and resigned. He started following Civil Engineers to site and also got admission form a PGD in Civil.

Now he is a full blown money making Engineer residing on the Lagos Island grin

Go into what’s profitable in Nigeria. Our country doesn’t Favour all courses grin

5 Likes

Re: Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? by somebody02: 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2021
An Engineer can be A Marketer, a marketer can't be an engineer

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Access Bank Front Line Intern Aptitude Test 2018 / Promotion Racket Rocks Road Safety / How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.