Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... (1058 Views)

The Yam Porridge I Made With Just 2400. Very Delicious. Photos / How I Cooked Delicious Beans Porridge With Swag (pics & Video) / Nigerian Yam Porridge Without Palm Oil: How Make Yam Porridge In Tomato Sauce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 1:40pm On Nov 17, 2021
NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE RECIPE........

Nigerian Beans porridge is a delicious mix of brown beans, onions, pepper, salt and palm oil. Simple ingredients that somehow produce a decadent meal. This Nigerian bean porridge recipe is soo delicious and definitely a keeper. Read on and see how you can cook up this tasty, soft and delicious one pot dish with the perfect combination of just 5 ingredients that will give you the perfect beans porridge always.....

Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 1:42pm On Nov 17, 2021
Beans is hardly a favorite in most homes but somehow I have succeeded in making this Nigerian beans porridge one of the favorite meals in mine.
You won't believe it but the kiddos love it too. Any one who tries this beans recipe never stays the same with beans. If you don't believe me, I can only implore you to give this Nigerian beans porridge recipe a try. Believe me it would be one of the very best decisions you ever made.
Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 1:44pm On Nov 17, 2021
Back in the day, we agreed to eat beans when my mom makes it but when someone else does it just didn't taste right.While we were growing up, my mom was in school and beans was almost a daily menu in our home for its health benefit for growing children. Her busy schedule didn't let her make the beans herself often hence our dislike for beans at that time.
We started enjoying beans when she finished school and started cooking the beans herself. There are 3 beans master cooks I know, my mom, my mom-in-law and naturally me. Any other one na counterfeit ( running for cover).
Hubby and my kid brother claim to be masters too but I am still yet to see. These three beans porridge recipes are different and have their own unique tastes. Call it bias if you like but my decadent beans recipe is my top pick. I will be sharing the other two with you as time goes by so you can decide.

Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 1:45pm On Nov 17, 2021
You may be wondering, why use the word decadent.... Well because it is and you have to know the word to understand its relationship with this pot of beans.I used to think that only brown beans can be made into this delightful yumminess, but I have found a way to make this recipe with black eyed peas (white beans) and it's a very good substitute
. Because of the length of time it takes to cook beans, and because its my favorite meal ever no kidding, and because it freezes well, I usually cook a large pot and store some for later.
A Little illustration on how delicious this dish is.. When we were still living in Nigeria, a couple of Mr K's very good friends came to visit and what I made for lunch that day was beans.. We offered and they accepted, but one of them (who happened to be the closer friend of the two ) I think probably accepted for curtesy sake because in his words he wasn't a beans fan (which is not a surprise. like I said most people don't like beans)
I smiled to myself and went on to get the food. By the time he tasted this beans oh my goodness, he couldnt stop saying how this was the best beans he had ever tasted lol and he confessed that he was reluctant to eat the beans in the first instance. Need I say our second friend was so deep into his own plate that our discussion was of no consequence to him lol. WELL that is the effect of my decadent beans porridge.
So are you ready to give this a shot? Let's get cooking. We can continue my long story in the kitchen.
Hope you lovely people give this recipe a try. I can't overemphasize how delicious it is. Looking forward to your comments below.
Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 1:47pm On Nov 17, 2021
Nigerian Beans Porridge Recipe
Nigerian Beans porridge is a delicious mix of brown beans, onions, pepper, salt and palm oil. Simple ingredients that somehow produce a decadent meal. This Nigerian bean porridge recipe is soo delicious and definitely a keeper. Read on and see how you can cook up this tasty, soft and delicious
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 1:48pm On Nov 17, 2021
Ingredients...........
4 cups Brown (honey beans)
3 medium Red Onions. (chopped)
2 bonnet pepper or Jamaican hot Pepper
(reduce to 1 if you want to encourage your kiddos to give it a try)
1 cup Palm Oil
Salt to taste
Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 1:50pm On Nov 17, 2021
Instructions.........
1. Measure out your beans, wash, put in a clean pot with water on the stove top and bring to boil.
2. Once it boils, sieve out the water, add more water and rinse without rubbing then put back on stove. This helps to reduce the pesticides that may have been used during farming and also aids the expulsion of the gas that causes bloating for which beans is notorious for.
3. When the beans starts to boil again, then add 1 cup of chopped onions and a table spoon of salt. (Or to your taste)
4. As the water dries keep adding water to a level just above the beans, and keep checking the beans till it is cooked to a soft to touch but not mushy consistency.
5. When the beans is soft to touch, (like the picture below) allow the water to reduce but not dry out. Then turn off the heat.
6. Here's what makes the difference. The sauce A.K.A onion-pepper medley sauce

Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 1:51pm On Nov 17, 2021
The sauce: Onion-pepper medley sauce.......
1. While the beans is cooking, Put a clean sauce pan on the stove top and heat up the palm oil. (Be careful not to burn the oil)
2. Pour in the remaining 1/2 cups of onions. You will hear the shhhhhh sound haha... You are on track. Stir a bit then add your chopped scotch bonnet pepper or Jamaican pepper.
3. Keep stirring until the onions soften please don't leave your spot so it doesn't get burnt. Can you perceive the aroma now? Hmmmm..... I sure can. It should take about 4 minutes to get it soft and ready. Turn off the heat.
Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 1:58pm On Nov 17, 2021
Finishing touches........
1. Mix in the sauce with the beans, turn the heat back on but on low.
2. Allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat until the porridge bubbles to the surface. Stir the beans well and turn off the stove
3. Yep our meal is ready. Serve with fried or boiled plantain, fried or boiled potatoes or boiled yam.

Enjoy!!!
Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 2:00pm On Nov 17, 2021
Notes..........
Quick Tips. Onions is the secret to a lot of delicious meals and lots of it definitely makes the difference in the taste of beans. You may be wondering 'why don't you just blend the onions and pepper', yes you can, in fact I do that for some other food recipes but usually not my beans.

This will mean the sauce making stage will take longer because the water has to dry out from the blended mixture to get close to where we want it to be. It is important that you cook the beans till it is soft. A pressure cooker will do you a world of good if you have one because it will save you time and actually get you to the soft consistency of beans we are looking for easily.

1 Like

Re: How To Cook NIGERIAN BEANS PORRIDGE...... by Kingtomato641(m): 2:02pm On Nov 17, 2021
Hope you lovely people give this recipe a try.......

I can't overemphasize how delicious it is.........

Looking forward to your comments below.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Funny Ideas About Food / Finger Foods And Real Foods / Share Your Experience On Dog And Snake Meat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.