Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,847 members, 7,802,709 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House (72238 Views)

What I Saw In The New Queens Primer*pics* / Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu / Corper: "HND Holders Burn Your Useless Certificates & Start Selling Tomatoes" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 20, 2021
NewDelhi:

That's why I laugh when some people shout Nigerians make it everywhere. They've never met those Indians, pakis and Chinese. Those guys are all over the globe making it big and making impacts. .

Largely because the Indians and Chinese have a much higher population than we do, and then there are the large populations of Indians and Chinese in the diaspora.

4 Likes

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by brizziedos(m): 8:27am On Nov 20, 2021
Generalwoodz:
you dey thank am Abi something wey I done screen shot sharply cheesy kiss

badt guy grin
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by brizziedos(m): 8:28am On Nov 20, 2021
backbencher:

Largely because the Indians and Chinese have a much higher population than we do, and then there are the large populations of Indians and Chinese in the diaspora.

how cry
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by PediakAuthor: 8:28am On Nov 20, 2021
#GATNM

1 Like

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by gassbee: 8:29am On Nov 20, 2021
Massiveglory:
The Nysc Number can easily give away your uncle's identity. Get that blurred also.
who really has d time to b checking someone's nysc number and for wat purpose

2 Likes

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by CaptainFM1: 8:30am On Nov 20, 2021
Fahdiga:
In Nigeria it is about the certificate but overseas it is about what you can offer

Certificates are the immediate evidence everyone will see first before you are offered to prove your competency.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Nobody: 8:31am On Nov 20, 2021
brizziedos:

how cry

Well, Chinese are one billion, as are Indians.

Chinese also have millions of people in the diaspora...as do the indians

So they would most likely have more people who make it than Nigeria does, with our 200 million people.

It doesn't mean they are better than us, it is just a numbers thing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by femi4: 8:34am On Nov 20, 2021
NoApology:
So one of my uncles that is based overseas is billed to come home this Xmas, as such a lot of cleaning and fumigation has been going on in his house in readiness for his come back.

I went this morning to supervise the work going on there. I went inside of the stores by the car house and saw this old metal cabinet and I decided to check what's inside. Lo and behold, I found in the midst of old paper files and debris my uncle's Nigerian certificates! Omo!

Rats has eaten some portions of the certificates. I scanned through and discovered that he was,by his Nigerian qualifications, below average. This is the same man that is an internationally sort after lawyer both in the country and overseas where he resides.

This got me wondering with so many questions on my mind:
1. Are certificates really overrated?

2. Does it really come a time in our lives (apart from death) when our certificates becomes irrelevant?

3. Is it not obsolete to measure ones intelligence based on exam performances? ( My uncle would have been jobless or better still a charge and bail lawyer at best going by his academic performance)

4. And why do Nigerians perform better in almost everything when the leave this country? Are we too stringent or is a reflection of our flawed system?
You are judging him based on past results. Your uncle has improved himself that's why he's sort after now. Why not ask for his recent certificates and compare
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by DoubleLaw(m): 8:35am On Nov 20, 2021
I was born 2 days after your uncle got his NYSC discharge certificate.

4 Likes

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by brizziedos(m): 8:35am On Nov 20, 2021
backbencher:

So they would most likely have more people who make it than Nigeria does, with our 200 million people.

that's true bro smiley

1 Like

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by DoubleLaw(m): 8:35am On Nov 20, 2021
I was born 2 days after your uncle got his NYSC discharge certificate. That's all I want to contribute.

2 Likes

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by authority2006(m): 8:36am On Nov 20, 2021
Hashabiah:
You have to understand that Nigeria is a country that frustrates the dreams and aspirations of an individual, but once he is able to travel out , he flourishes. Secondly, education in Nigeria is often mistaken for intelligence, but this is not so when you go outside . Over there , what you study doesn't count , rather , it is internalization that matters .

Lol. What you studied results to what you internalised. Or, am I missing something here?

Fahdiga:
In Nigeria it is about the certificate but overseas it is about what you can offer
Plus your certificates

CaptainFM1:

Certificates is the immediate evidence everyone will see first before you are offered to prove your competency.

Don't mind dem team third class
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:37am On Nov 20, 2021
NoApology:
So one of my uncles that is based overseas is billed to come home this Xmas, as such a lot of cleaning and fumigation has been going on in his house in readiness for his come back.

I went this morning to supervise the work going on there. I went inside of the stores by the car house and saw this old metal cabinet and I decided to check what's inside. Lo and behold, I found in the midst of old paper files and debris my uncle's Nigerian certificates! Omo!

Rats has eaten some portions of the certificates. I scanned through and discovered that he was,by his Nigerian qualifications, below average. This is the same man that is an internationally sort after lawyer both in the country and overseas where he resides.

2. Does it really come a time in our lives (apart from death) when our certificates becomes irrelevant?

3. Is it not obsolete to measure ones intelligence based on exam performances? ( My uncle would have been jobless or better still a charge and bail lawyer at best going by his academic performance)

4. And why do Nigerians perform better in almost everything when the leave this country? Are we too stringent or is a reflection of our flawed system?

The man should be close to 70, qualified as a lawyer from the law school in 1983. By now he would have been a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, a Judge and should have succeeded in the profession
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by maxwell530(m): 8:37am On Nov 20, 2021
backbencher:

You are wrong Sir
What work for these countries over the years is not population but the environment to create new ideas techwise. An average Nigerian youth think of going to the university, graduate,land a White collar job,get married and settle down. Most of investment in Nigeria are not tech related. Once a Nigerian make huge money,the ideas that mostly comes to mind is some sort of business like hotels,bars, filling stations etc none of these businesses are creative enough and that's why Nigeria as a country still depends on importation. This can't be said of countries like China and India.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Yello1(m): 8:37am On Nov 20, 2021
That man is a brilliant man. In his time how many peopl can hav that waec result. He even passed mathematics at credit level despite him being a Arts student. I guess d university with its wahala wanted to ridicule him but God helped him and he japa.

3 Likes

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 20, 2021
AgamaProf:

This is not true. That result is a good result going by the standard of those days. Will you compare buhari's result to that. Even those that had combination of ps and cs were highly sought after.

1.It is far better than Buhari's result (goes without saying...though most army officers of that generation did not necessarily have spectacular results at WAEC regardless of tribe, which is why many Nigerians 'look down on the army')

2.But if you notice, he got that SSCE result in 1972, and graduated from university in 1981.Assuming law was a 3 year course (we weren't doing 6334 at that level then )..he probably spent time trying to get the A-level results needed to get into university.(Or he went to a poly for some time , but I speculate). Also, JAMB came in in 1977, so he prolly passed JAMB well enough to get in.

3.As you can see from point 2, even getting A's in all subjects would have not been good enough for university...he would have had to do two years of A level, and then pass A levels very well, to get to law school. I suspect it took him some time to get A levels sufficent enough to qualify him for uni. Also, he had to pass JAMB if he took it from 1977.

Nigeria ran a 6-5-2-3 System until 1988/89..when the first 6334 SECONDARY SCHOOL graduates entered university.

Does not detract from the fact that he did not let his degrees or marks define him.
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by asorockvibesblo: 8:38am On Nov 20, 2021
When you enter abroad you will know it's no your Naija certificate na almost trash it all depends.

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by GerogeI(m): 8:39am On Nov 20, 2021
NoApology:

My guess is you are really young. Understand everything has a purpose.

Just like your WAEC or Jamb score determine where a d what you get to study. Your certificates determine which doors you can get your foots in to start your career. Ofcourse, there are exceptions, and a family with pedigree can pull strings for you. But how many people have those, and you do not exactly expect to land entry jobs with top employers with third class certificate. So, no certificates are not over rated.

However, after your first five years on the Job, which in this clime should be about your age 30 and above, Overseas, its 25 and above, then people no longer ask or care about what's on your certificate, as long as you have it and its genuine. Rather they care about what you have achieved in the first half decade of your work life. That immediately tells them what you can contribute to a their team. Your career achievement totally eclipse your class of certificate from their forward.

But do not be deceived, its harder to show relevant achievements than to show a certificate. Further down the lane, your network and connections become even more important. Especially as a senior manager, people will call you mainly because if who you know, who recommended you, What they said you accomplished, lastly for what you accomplished and most won't remember if you had a Bachelors degree cause what you are doing will likely be unrelated to classic theories taught in schools. They will care if you have an MBA though if its business they are running.

Hope this helps you get the perspective.
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 20, 2021
maxwell530:
You are wrong Sir

Well, a country with a higher population than ours would also have a higher population of intelligent people than we do.

It goes without saying.

Good morning to you.
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by authority2006(m): 8:41am On Nov 20, 2021
maxwell530:
You are wrong Sir

Prove him wrong.
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Yankee101: 8:43am On Nov 20, 2021
And why do Nigerians perform better in almost everything when the leave this country? Are we too stringent or is a reflection of our flawed system?

Our system thrives on the false notion that you must suffer to get everything

1 Like

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by rollywise(m): 8:44am On Nov 20, 2021
It's about the paperwork here. Too much theory and no practical. A mechanical engineering graduate does not know the secret behind tiger head battery. It's universities breed laborers instead of entrepreneurs. Last last naija education na scam

2 Likes

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Judgesledge(m): 8:45am On Nov 20, 2021
Exams reward you for what you remember , life rewards you for what you know, end of story bro

2 Likes

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Joeyfizzo: 8:47am On Nov 20, 2021
My Bsc and Msc certificates in Architecture got me where I am today.

3 Likes

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 20, 2021
LordofNaija:
Chinedu you came online to upload my certificates. Just pack your things and move out of my house before I get back

Whoever this is, welldone!
You somehow found a way to put twisted humor in an atmosphere that roundly oozed of palpable emotions and evident serious mindedness. And that got me laughing.

If I was anywhere around you, we'd have beers together.
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 20, 2021
rollywise:
It's about the paperwork here. Too much theory and no practical. A mechanical engineering graduate does not know the secret behind tiger head battery. It's universities breed laborers instead of entrepreneurs. Last last naija education na scam

The reason why too much theory is because Nigerian universites are poorly funded

Fees are kept too low, and the budget, even before corruption chops it is also too low.

We could improve funding for our universites...by increasing fees, and/or increasing the tax rate. But since such solutions are deemed as 'making poor Nigerians suffer'(70% of Nigerians don't pay tax because they work in the informal sector0...we rely on the diminishing sales from oil...and from the loans that the diminishing sales from oil force us to take.

1 Like

Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Raalsalghul: 8:49am On Nov 20, 2021
NewDelhi:

Who told you Nigerians perform better abroad? Have you met the Indians or Chinese.

Maybe he means in comparison to when they were in Nigeria.
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Thaheer(m): 8:51am On Nov 20, 2021
NewDelhi:

Who told you Nigerians perform better abroad? Have you met the Indians or Chinese.
Like the saying goes, “He was raised the Asian way”
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by penceman(m): 8:55am On Nov 20, 2021
Certificates are useless here.
but note that in france qualification and certificates is key
in america ambition, experience and marketing skills key and they dont consider certificate
in nigeria who you know is key not certificate
Re: Are Certificates Really Overrated? What I Saw In My Uncle's House by Issues40(m): 8:56am On Nov 20, 2021
Innoson Chukwuma didn't go to school. But he's expanding his vehicle business across Africa. I even hear he's putting plans and strategies to own GTB.

Look, we all have been deceived to think that certificates matter. All you need is an idea and how to bring it to life!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Post-JAMB Examinations in Nigerian Universities / Download Full BECE “Junior WAEC 2022” Timetable .PDF | Past Questions | Syllabus / List Of The 5 Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.