Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,124 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria (2616 Views)

EFCC Hands Over Recovered N191, 000 To Victim Of Fraud In Enugu(photos) / Grand Jury Indicts Olalekan Ponle Of Fraud, Faces 20 Years in Prison / The Woman Who Is Accused Of Fraud At Union Bank In Abuja Is Also A Pastor(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 2:54pm On Nov 19, 2021
As has been my life routine. I woke up this morning and stretched out my hand to pick my phone from the table. I perused my WhatsApp, Facebook and went foward to check my emails. So I opened a mail from Google maps (I am a developer and I have integrated and consumed Google maps APIs on a bunch of websites and applications I built for clients).

So what really caught my attention was that Google promised to pay $15 If i helped them complete a survey on their map products.

So with my heart racing fast and pumping in excitement, I rushed and clicked the link. I selected my employment status, clicked on the select box to indicate my country, alas and behold, Nigeria was not in the list of countries. I scrolled delligently and intermittently between Namibia, Nicaragua,niger and hoping to see Nigeria somewhere but it was not there. To be sure my eyes was not deceiving me, I used my web developer sense to referesh the page, blaming the absence of Nigeria on network problem resulting in incomplete page load. To my surprise Nigeria was not still there.

This is not right, I said to myself. Nigeria has the best developers in Africa both in quality and quantity and some of the highest consumers of Google products.
I am entitled to this free pie and so is other Nigerian developers. We and some Nigerian companies have used and paid for Google products and deserves this pie and nothing will stop me.

So in the midst of my confusion I found an option that indicates 'my country not listed here'. So I selected this option and clicked the next button. Hoping to get directed to where Nigeria is listed so that I can continue with the survey.

My brothers and sisters I was told 'thank you for your time' . No this can't be happening. Something must be wrong, I need to earn this $15. Maybe I must have selected the wrong option. I clicked on the back button but was told that I can't take the survey again.

Okay, enough of the jokes. I did a little research and found out that Nigerians has abused such opportunities in the past and hence, are not qualified for such tasks on most Google products.

The culture of fraud has eaten deep into the very fabric of the Nigerian society.
Ghanians, togolese, benonoise and host of smaller African countries are now open to opportunities a Nigerian has no access to.

The internet is booming. A lot of businesses today are moving their market place online. In the US, the e-commerce sector is worth over $500bn contributing significantly to the GDP and overall economy of the USA. One of the reason for this growth is because of TRUST and HONESTY. An American can meet a fellow American online, interact and seal a business deal without one devicing 'smart' (evil) ways to defraud the other.

Today most Nigerians can't do business online because you are 100% sure to be duped. To make matters worst, when you complain, you will be termed 'not smart' or foolish.
What is wrong in trusting a fellow Nigerian? For us not to recognize this as a problem shows the depth of decay in our morality.

Chronic internet fraudsters(Yahoo Yahoo) are celebrated. Some have developed 'justifications' for this crime.

Developers like me that do business online are some of the worst people affected by the menace of fraud and bad reputation Nigerians have amassed online and it is only going to get worse. I have lost business opportunities simply because the client I met on Facebook discovered that I am a 'nigerian'. In his words 'Mr Clinton, your works are good but I don't do business with Nigerians online. '

It is time the Nigeria society start combating the menace of fraud. It is the obligation of our religious institutions to condemn fraud in strong terms without mincing words.
It is the responsibility of you, the ordinary Nigerian to be honest in your dealing with your fellow Nigerian without devicing ways to scam each other.
It is the responsibility of our government to increase the punishment for fraud and cybercrimes. The government should also expand the scope of what is defined as fraud. Reneging on a gentleman agreement after receiving monetary inducements is 'fraud'.
Developers like me have a very vital role to play. We can refuse to develop that phising website/script,crypto, investment etc website especially when we know what it will be used for. Think about your future. The same laptop and phone you use to access your Gmail, WhatsApp, Facebook etc is the same device you will use to host a fraudulent website. Don't you know that FBI and other relevant agencies are taking your data? When you get that your dream foreign job and decide to move to a foreign country, you will just end up in jail.

NIGERIANS SAY NO TO FRAUD

Cc mynd44 OAMJ4 lalasticlala front page. this is very important

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 3:02pm On Nov 19, 2021
Mods leave this thread in politics. This is describing the consequences on fraud in Nigeria and how Nigerians and the present government can fight it.

As a Nigerian, there are many apps you can't see, talk more of downloading from playstore or appstore. There are websites you can't visit and a lot of online programs you can't participate. Many people from poor African countries are earning a lot of dollars doing survey. If these surveys was available to Nigerians I am sure it will help a lot of youths to break even.

even CPC rates are very poor on AdSense if your traffic is from Nigeria. This problems that this generation is pilling up will be a large burden on the upcoming generations

5 Likes

Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by Hashabiah: 3:06pm On Nov 19, 2021
Nice writeup . How I wish all Nigerians had this mindset .
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by BlackXabbath(m): 3:17pm On Nov 19, 2021
The future of our kids is at stake here.

Everyone will be affected, directly or indirectly.

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by goziem1982(m): 3:19pm On Nov 19, 2021
Good one bro, however, a government that put so much rely on corruption cannot put a stop to it, go to government offices, government hospitals and see what is happening, corruption has gone so deep bro.
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by DDDEnterprises: 3:28pm On Nov 19, 2021
Word on point!

I've seen Atheists attack religion in the sense that Nigerians are so religious but not very progressive.

But the reality is most people only have religious identities and focus on the worship part of their religions but do not take consideration of the morals and laws.

Both books forbid deceit, lying, stealing and all sorts of vices. But many nationals in this country are masters of these vices. It's even worse when they see it as "dullness" or stupidity when you don't engage in it.

A sad and shameful reality!

But we rejoice though. Because one of the major reasons why this is the case is because of gross ignorance many people suffer and the fact that there is a colossal shortage of exemplary leaders people can look up to to guide them towards uprightness and good conduct.

And all that shall begin to change when the great emperor "The Unity" finally arises and establishes his New Era.

In the New Era, divine consciousness and true enlightenment will be brought nearer to the people and they shall be inspired to control their desires and submit to true values.

Humanity is in danger of destroying itself due to ignorance and heedlessness and God willing, the process of saving humanity from the evil of itself will begin when the New Era starts.

We await your coming, the great Unity.

P.S. "The Unity" is not Jesus or AntiChrist or Mahdi undecided
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by Crowwejihadist: 3:32pm On Nov 19, 2021
You are just crying because of mere 15 sold. Smh.
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by Oksman(m): 3:35pm On Nov 19, 2021
My brother irrespective of the serious attention your post deserves, I found my self laughing grin grin grin throughout the entire post. I will say you have the gift of writing comic books because you are so funny with this write up. You are not the only one that has been affected by the scourge of these online fraudsters, but my concern is that there must be a paradigm shift in our view about life. Our inordinate quest to get rich quick is the cause of this anomaly. I pray that something should be done to arrest this ugly trend that has portrayed Nigeria on the spotlight as a nation with the highest online business risk by foreign countries.
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 3:35pm On Nov 19, 2021
Crowwejihadist:

bro I am sorry to say that your comment is myopic. the issue is not the paltry $15 but how Nigerians are excluded from opportunities that are available to others

5 Likes

Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by ObiOfOnitcha: 3:39pm On Nov 19, 2021
Too bad really
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by DawnStudios(m): 4:05pm On Nov 19, 2021
Nice write up, we really need to do something about it.
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:18pm On Nov 19, 2021
Story. Even if you get a remote job getting paid na die.
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by poiZon: 4:21pm On Nov 19, 2021
Crowwejihadist:
One of the destroyers...
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 4:22pm On Nov 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Story. Even if you get a remote job getting paid na die.
what do you mean by this
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:23pm On Nov 19, 2021
JavaScript90:

what do you mean by this
It's not easy receiving payment from other countries to Nigeria. We had this problem so much at the company I work we had to eventually resort to crypto.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 4:36pm On Nov 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

It's not easy receiving payment from other countries to Nigeria. We had this problem so much at the company I work we had to eventually resort to crypto.
We are still saying same thing. Financial institutions in most countries are not interested in doing business with Nigerians because of the high probability of Nigerians to abuse and defraud the system

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by drealcivilceno(m): 4:39pm On Nov 19, 2021
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 7:24pm On Nov 20, 2021
I don't know why the mods moved this topic to crime where it will die a natural death. this thread deserves front page
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by FuckDModz: 7:48pm On Nov 20, 2021
Ode!

Post the link to your “research” sources.

Nigeria is excluded because they don't need your opinion on whatever survey your broke ass is so eager to complete.

That said, death to yahoo bastards!
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 9:06pm On Nov 20, 2021
FuckDModz:
Ode!

Post the link to your “research” sources.

Nigeria is excluded because they don't need your opinion on whatever survey your broke ass is so eager to complete.

That said, death to yahoo bastards!
you are just an attention seeker

1 Like

Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by ExplorerReturns(m): 10:23pm On Nov 20, 2021
JavaScript90:
As has been my life routine. I woke up this morning and stretched out my hand to pick my phone from the table. I perused my WhatsApp, Facebook and went foward to check my emails. So I opened a mail from Google maps (I am a developer and I have integrated and consumed Google maps APIs on a bunch of websites and applications I built for clients).

So what really caught my attention was that Google promised to pay $15 If i helped them complete a survey on their map products.

So with my heart racing fast and pumping in excitement, I rushed and clicked the link. I selected my employment status, clicked on the select box to indicate my country, alas and behold, Nigeria was not in the list of countries. I scrolled delligently and intermittently between Namibia, Nicaragua,niger and hoping to see Nigeria somewhere but it was not there. To be sure my eyes was not deceiving me, I used my web developer sense to referesh the page, blaming the absence of Nigeria on network problem resulting in incomplete page load. To my surprise Nigeria was not still there.

This is not right, I said to myself. Nigeria has the best developers in Africa both in quality and quantity and some of the highest consumers of Google products.
I am entitled to this free pie and so is other Nigerian developers. We and some Nigerian companies have used and paid for Google products and deserves this pie and nothing will stop me.

So in the midst of my confusion I found an option that indicates 'my country not listed here'. So I selected this option and clicked the next button. Hoping to get directed to where Nigeria is listed so that I can continue with the survey.

My brothers and sisters I was told 'thank you for your time' . No this can't be happening. Something must be wrong, I need to earn this $15. Maybe I must have selected the wrong option. I clicked on the back button but was told that I can't take the survey again.

Okay, enough of the jokes. I did a little research and found out that Nigerians has abused such opportunities in the past and hence, are not qualified for such tasks on most Google products.

The culture of fraud has eaten deep into the very fabric of the Nigerian society.
Ghanians, togolese, benonoise and host of smaller African countries are now open to opportunities a Nigerian has no access to.

The internet is booming. A lot of businesses today are moving their market place online. In the US, the e-commerce sector is worth over $500bn contributing significantly to the GDP and overall economy of the USA. One of the reason for this growth is because of TRUST and HONESTY. An American can meet a fellow American online, interact and seal a business deal without one devicing 'smart' (evil) ways to defraud the other.

Today most Nigerians can't do business online because you are 100% sure to be duped. To make matters worst, when you complain, you will be termed 'not smart' or foolish.
What is wrong in trusting a fellow Nigerian? For us not to recognize this as a problem shows the depth of decay in our morality.

Chronic internet fraudsters(Yahoo Yahoo) are celebrated. Some have developed 'justifications' for this crime.

Developers like me that do business online are some of the worst people affected by the menace of fraud and bad reputation Nigerians have amassed online and it is only going to get worse. I have lost business opportunities simply because the client I met on Facebook discovered that I am a 'nigerian'. In his words 'Mr Clinton, your works are good but I don't do business with Nigerians online. '

It is time the Nigeria society start combating the menace of fraud. It is the obligation of our religious institutions to condemn fraud in strong terms without mincing words.
It is the responsibility of you, the ordinary Nigerian to be honest in your dealing with your fellow Nigerian without devicing ways to scam each other.
It is the responsibility of our government to increase the punishment for fraud and cybercrimes. The government should also expand the scope of what is defined as fraud. Reneging on a gentleman agreement after receiving monetary inducements is 'fraud'.
Developers like me have a very vital role to play. We can refuse to develop that phising website/script,crypto, investment etc website especially when we know what it will be used for. Think about your future. The same laptop and phone you use to access your Gmail, WhatsApp, Facebook etc is the same device you will use to host a fraudulent website. Don't you know that FBI and other relevant agencies are taking your data? When you get that your dream foreign job and decide to move to a foreign country, you will just end up in jail.

very very unfortunate. see how our youths keep loosing opportunities
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by Boogyman557: 5:49am On Nov 21, 2021
Holly Gram cool Amabobi CUNTREE don CAST big time. D only TIN way fit bring dis CUNTREE back Na WAR.. As 4 me, I don LOAD my KALA de wait.. PATIENTLY WAITING. WTF MAN
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by daddytime(m): 8:07am On Nov 21, 2021
JavaScript90:
As has been my life routine. I woke up this morning .

May God bless and continue to enrich you in wisdom.
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 1:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
daddytime:

May God bless and continue to enrich you in wisdom.
thanks boss
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by igbozionism(m): 2:04pm On Nov 21, 2021
Nice article op. I have had my own share of this problem.

Why is this article not yet on front page? If na snake like lalasticlala will push it to front page immediately.
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by igbozionism(m): 2:11pm On Nov 21, 2021
I love your write-ups and I just started following you
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 8:44pm On Nov 21, 2021
igbozionism:
I love your write-ups and I just started following you
thanks boss
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by geekay4real(m): 7:06am On Nov 22, 2021
It's so unfortunate the level at which cyber crime is in the country. Nigerians are extremely wicked to fellow countrymen let alone of foreigners. I have been a victim several times but I have come to understand that if you are dealing with real Hausa man you can be more than 95% rest assured, average Yoruba man will still not dupe you but people that has manipulated and abused my trust is Igbo. Please this is not being tribalistic but reality. Government should take drastic steps on this as it's really becoming unbecoming
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by DoctorDree(m): 7:20am On Nov 22, 2021
Baba all man for himself
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by rollybest(m): 4:24pm On Nov 22, 2021
geekay4real:
It's so unfortunate the level at which cyber crime is in the country. Nigerians are extremely wicked to fellow countrymen let alone of foreigners. I have been a victim several times but I have come to understand that if you are dealing with real Hausa man you can be more than 95% rest assured, average Yoruba man will still not dupe you but people that has manipulated and abused my trust is Igbo. Please this is not being tribalistic but reality. Government should take drastic steps on this as it's really becoming unbecoming

Lies The highest tribe with Yahoo boys is Yoruba. Na Yoruba do Yahoo pass. The only place where Yahoo is prevalent in Igbo is imo state, other states are Hustlers. No tribe do Yahoo pass Yoruba. I am 100% sure
Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by Foxflames: 4:35pm On Nov 22, 2021
The issue is not fraud but CBN policies on foreign exchange. The make transfering foreign currencies difficult. So blame CBN instead

1 Like

Re: How I Lost Dollars And The lingering Menace Of Fraud In Nigeria by JavaScript90: 8:58pm On Nov 22, 2021
Foxflames:
The issue is not fraud but CBN policies on foreign exchange. The make transfering foreign currencies difficult. So blame CBN instead

how do you explain Nigeria IP being blocked from accessing some foreign websites and app?....
Cc lalasticlala front page please

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Just Escaped Fulani Kidnappers / Man Caught With Human Skull For Rituals / I Was Forced To Carry Head Of My Husband After It Was Cut Off By Gunmen – Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.