Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks (63184 Views)

BackYard Farming: My Turkey, Noiler And Guinea Fowl Birds & Goats / How To Hatch My Turkey’s Eggs / Fresh Start As My Day Old Chicks Arrive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Kellie069(m): 8:27pm On Dec 24, 2021
Welldone
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Justinlean02(m): 8:27pm On Dec 24, 2021
Seriously I came to see your Turkish parents grin

Can't wait to unleash more African arts to the world through NFT.

Jump in on the future wagon 2022 with massive wealth to claim in NFT Space... Buy tomorrow today.

Serious minded and intentional Nairalanders check out my signature

11 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Knighty12: 8:30pm On Dec 24, 2021
I dey fear this thing ehn grin

3 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by altoremorse: 8:32pm On Dec 24, 2021
colorful
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 24, 2021
A7:

I feed them twice daily, 6am & 2pm. They eat starter feed (pellets or mash)

The risk in raising turkey poults is the mothers are not great parents & the poults are very fragile in the first few weeks.

If you have day old poults separated from the mother, you will need to raise them with all the extra care like you do with young broilers.

If the mother is raising them keep them in a cage/coop for at least a month, what they eat is important, they grow so fast with quality unadulterated feed.
Don't you think you are starving them? feeding them twice is quite horrible to me..those guys are gonna be really hungry tho...
Pls feed them properly the way a normal being should eat..
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by ussv: 8:34pm On Dec 24, 2021
We are now meeting chickens on nairaland abi ? Okay, no problems

5 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Eriokanmi: 8:35pm On Dec 24, 2021
Weldone OP. Your efforts go pay one day. I've never seen baby turkeys before grin

I've never also seen the type of American turkey before, they look like giants. Their meat is like goat meat, so sweet

5 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by RolexOfGeneva(m): 8:35pm On Dec 24, 2021
Don't forget to give them multivitamins and antibiotics regularly as they are very susceptible to infections at this stage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by farouk2much(m): 8:36pm On Dec 24, 2021
Make sure you vaccinated them.........guy you try wela give them all the necessary protection so that you will benefit a lot from them

1 Like

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by 18wheeler: 8:39pm On Dec 24, 2021
ManuelDmotivato:
Where do you plan to sell your turkey is there a demand for it and how long does it takes to get mature?

I tried Turkey last year. It was encouraging to be honest. Bought 7 of them weeks old @ 7000 naira each. Reared from august to December and sold each for 22000 naira. However, I lost one at young age, lost one in a fight with the bully of the pack and slaughtered the bully for my family. Got 88k for the remaining 4 and you needed to see how people rushed them. They were not fully matured even. I planned to sell by February this year but succumbed to buyers' pressure and the attractive prices.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by micflo28(m): 8:43pm On Dec 24, 2021
Please are they prone to natural preys like cats and snakes and how do you prevent that and what kind of medication and quantity do you give them
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 24, 2021
This is so beautiful
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Gentlevip: 8:56pm On Dec 24, 2021
Sleep with them. Seems like the other world is calling
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by lexy2014: 8:59pm On Dec 24, 2021
Alcapone001:

Don't you think you are starving them? feeding them twice is quite horrible to me..those guys are gonna be really hungry tho...
Pls feed them properly the way a normal being should eat..

Do the animals look starved?

9 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Chummynoni(m): 9:05pm On Dec 24, 2021
I always thought turkeys could only be hatched by artificial incubation. Nice one op
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by ndigbo: 9:10pm On Dec 24, 2021
Boss, please, can you confirm your turkey breed ( Local or agric) ?
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Passionate888: 9:17pm On Dec 24, 2021
I'll do this by July 2022 to sell for Christmas
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Volksguys1985: 9:26pm On Dec 24, 2021
This op don hammer, money dey where wahala dey, hmmm true true.
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by tradepunter: 9:29pm On Dec 24, 2021
Eriokanmi:
Weldone OP. Your efforts go pay one day. I've never seen baby turkeys before grin

I've never also seen the type of American turkey before, they look like giants. Their meat is like goat meat, so sweet

Spot on man...

I love Turkey meat, I beleive it taste better than chicken..

2 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by obowunmi(m): 9:32pm On Dec 24, 2021
A7:
Hello, welcome - greetings.

My two turkeys recently hatched, the growth update of the babies (poults) will be primarily shared on this thread.

As at 20th November 2021 there has been 24 eggs laid, 12 hatched, 10 unhatched & 2 got eaten (i suspected the male turkey).

The hungry/yawning one at the last pic hatches today.

Please how much is a local turkey ?
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 24, 2021
lexy2014:

Do the animals look starved?
I was only asking a question..
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 24, 2021
Eagle360:
feed na your mate. Do you know how much a bag of starter feed cost?
And from the pictures, the chicks are well feed.
Thanks man..
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by OllyArt(m): 9:52pm On Dec 24, 2021
ManuelDmotivato:
Please where is your farm located?

So you can go and thieve him Products

4 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by 1Sharon(f): 10:01pm On Dec 24, 2021
Eagle360:
feed na your mate. Do you know how much a bag of starter feed cost?
And from the pictures, the chicks are well feed.

I thought they give them maggots
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Sheriman(m): 10:06pm On Dec 24, 2021
Don't let bandit and bokoharam boys kidnapped your turkey mums and it's children oooo. Tighten up your security

2 Likes

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by GreatManBee: 10:07pm On Dec 24, 2021
A7:

She eventually sat on the eggs, everything was smooth for about 24 hours till Hen-1 started rejecting & pecking some of the Chicks, one was badly hurt, causing its dead.

Immediately afterwards, I divided the Chicks between the 2 Hens and dispose the eggs.

Turkey hens can be annoyingly unreasonable, a neighbor once had a turkey that breaks every egg she laid. But there are great ones too, some can hatch up to 90% of eggs laid out of the usual 10 - 17.

Sorry your turkey died, the grown ones are less susceptible to common poultry diseases and usually don't die easily. I give mine ginger, garlic, bitter leaf & aloe vera to boost their immunity.

Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Bar1941(m): 10:08pm On Dec 24, 2021
Waiting for the week they are ripe enough for food before I comment, nice job anyway.
Re: Meet My Turkey Mums & Chicks by Zaikon(m): 10:17pm On Dec 24, 2021
A7:

Sorry man. I will give out half & keep half.

Hatching is in your blood why not try get a mini incubator. Hatching is fun though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm / The Truth About Palm and Kernel Business / A Must Read For Plantain Farmers And Intending Farmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.