Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:21 PM

Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) (60469 Views)

Sea Cow Caught In Muregi, Kin Nupe, Niger State (Pictures) / Ray Fish Caught Near The God's Island, Ibeno In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Sea Turtle Caught Near Ibeno Island In Akwa Ibom (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by EmekaBlue(m): 8:26pm On Nov 23, 2021
Contact Oyibo wildlife and sell it

U don blow

No reason meat o...e go buy u put of meats
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Hullabaloon: 8:28pm On Nov 23, 2021
Biggaboi:
grin Rocket of Guardians of the Galaxy visits Nigeria

I was looking for this comment. Rocket is among my favourite Marvel characters.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by one4GOD(f): 8:33pm On Nov 23, 2021
Ilaumoh:
Picture Of A Rare Breed Of Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom

See what my cousin caught in the gods island in Ibeno, Akwa Ibom state … Campeche raccoon
According to him that 7 catch he as caught over here in the gods island Ibeno
slayer of all snakes grin grin
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by lexy2014: 8:34pm On Nov 23, 2021
Ilaumoh:
Picture Of A Rare Breed Of Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom

See what my cousin caught in the gods island in Ibeno, Akwa Ibom state … Campeche raccoon
According to him that 7 catch he as caught over here in the gods island Ibeno

What is he doing with them?
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by agabusta: 8:34pm On Nov 23, 2021
omowolewa:
Looks angry

Looks terrified.

I'm already feeling sorry for it.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by agabusta: 8:37pm On Nov 23, 2021
AfonjaConehead:

Just look @ the fright of that animal...
I wish your coz will free it

And be eaten by a python afterwards.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by ElValiente(m): 8:41pm On Nov 23, 2021
Ilaumoh:

Yeah , we have it enough in the island

He's funny moments.
He called me raccoon
He called me rodents
Let's see if you can laugh at four five six good shots. Werey wan shoot Barista. Love that movie.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Cokahot: 8:41pm On Nov 23, 2021
Nutty professor,nut job, and other dstv animated movies.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Doctortyre: 8:42pm On Nov 23, 2021
They were deported
Vulcanheph:
How did a Raccoon end up in Akwa ibom.... I thought these creatures aren't native to Africa.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by agabusta: 8:46pm On Nov 23, 2021
googlepikins:
These thing shouldn't be allowed in Nigeria, these creature disturbs more than rat. They are very destructive

This brings memory about the raccoon write-up by Late Prof. Pius Adesanmi. Very beautiful piece about raccoons in Canada.

Raccoon Orientation for Canada-Bound Nigerians

By Pius Adesanmi

I promised I was going to get around to tell you all this story.
Eventually.

Happened last summer –

The jazz of all my political enemies in Nigeria finally crossed the Atlantic and caught up with me here in Ottawa.

The trouble with Homo Occidentalis North Americanus is that as soon as he arrives within a certain income bracket that is no longer middleclass but not quite upperclass but dangerously close to upperclass, he will move far away from the city and create a new paradise he calls upscale suburbia. Swanky neigbourhoods with manicured lawns, removed from the rabble of the city.

That is where you will find high-earning doctors, engineers, accountants, lawyers, etc. If you are a Professor who negotiated a good pay when you were hired, you also tag along, buy property among them, and begin to form associate big man.

Trouble is suburbia in Canada or the US is always encroaching on the habitat of much older residents. Man steals land from these residents but cannot always predict consequences. That is why a family in Florida will return from work to an alligator chilling in their swimming pool. That is why a family in Arizona will grumble about rattle snakes all over their yard. They call animal services. Never mind that these animals have called that place home for millions of years before man put one leg on top of another leg and developed his suburbia there.

In Ottawa, if you live in the suburbia called Riverside South as I do, you have encroached on prime raccoon territory. As in Florida and Arizona, these raccoons have a way of behaving like omo onile in Lagos. Occasionally, they let you know who truly owns the land (This is where you google raccoon).

Because the jazz of my political enemies in Nigeria worked as I was saying, a family of raccoons elected residence in our roof last summer. We’d been hearing mawuru mawuru in the ceiling for months. The noise would come only at night. Tise said it was the tooth faerie. I thought it was squirrels, but we couldn’t fathom how squirrels could tear into the roof of a duplex from outside and make their way into the attic.

One day, madam called me urgently and asked me to hurry home. I arrived to a small situation in front of our home. Our otherwise very friendly neighbours had converged on our front lawn. It was quite a scene. Bloodshot eyes everywhere. No friendly faces. In upscale suburbia, we are naturally the only non-white homeowners within a certain radius so when normally friendly white neighbours converge, looking sorrowful and unfriendly, you worry.

I exited my car to behold quite a scene. Unknown to us, we had accommodated a pregnant raccoon for several weeks. Mama Raccoon eventually gave birth to six pups. On this day, she suddenly went crazy like she found a mixture of codeine, sniper, and tramadol in our attic. She began to fling her babies down on the lawn one by one. From the roof of a duplex fa.

That explained the sadness and sorrow of our neighbours. Remember, this is an animal-loving civilization. It also explained their hostility. Somehow, it must have been something we did that got that poor animal so crazy that she began to murder her own kids. Everybody was looking at us one kain, like, what have you guys done now?

The only analogy for you in Nigeria is if your home was invaded by destructive giant rats. You’d tried everything from traps to rat poison. Then, one day, Mama Rat begins to miraculously kill her own children before your very before. Only for your neighbours to gather around sorrowfully because those awesome baby animals are dying. Only for them to be hostile to you for not doing enough to keep the baby rats alive!

Anyway, animal services eventually arrived to rescue some of the babies that had not yet died. Come and see interrogation! Even Tise did not escape questioning! Are you guys perhaps a little noisy in the house? What time do you all normally sleep?

Nigerians, believe you me, Oyinbo was trying to determine if we did something to cause the postpartum depression of Mama Raccoon, which led her to killing her babies!! They began to explain the characteristics of raccoons to us. How it was still too early for her to bring her babies out, let alone fling them from the roof. There was the unsaid: you guys must have done something.

When we were eventually “acquitted”, the animal services people went into our attic to inspect. They screamed in excitement: three more babies that Mama Raccoon had yet to fling! We said: thank God. Now you can evacuate Mama Raccoon and her remaining babies.

I hope you all know that in Obodo Oyibo, public animals are government property. All those doves you see in Trafalgar Square or the squirrels you see on lawns, geese, ati bebelo, are all government property. Una wey dey go holiday in London from Nigeria, go to Trafalgar Square and touch a dove, that is the day you will realize that the life of a public animal is worth more to the government of obodo oyibo than your life is worth to the Nigerian government.

So, we asked Obodo Canada to please carry their raccoons from our ceiling. We were in for another shock. She is a nursing mother, the animal services people replied, we don’t move nursing mothers. By law, Mama Raccoon has the right to remain here and nurse her remaining babies. We will keep checking.

I have been in Obodo Oyibo for 22 years. I didn’t see that one coming. Apparently, the Raccoon had eminent domain! The best they could do for us was to come and move her at the end of the biological breeding cycle or something to that effect. With that, they entered their van and zoomed off.

I looked on in wonderment, lost in one of those na-who-send-me-come-obodo-oyibo moments that every Diasporan goes through on occasion. With which mouth am I even going to tell this sort of story to a Nigerian audience?

Then I noticed that Tise all along had had the same attitude as our Oyinbo neighbours.

Now she is glad that some Raccoon babies had survived and would not be moved.

I realized that only her parents had a problem.

I realized that we were two Nigerians raising a Canadian.

This is her country.
This is her culture.
These are her people.
These are her baby raccoons.

I jejely borrowed myself brain and joined the little girl in rejoicing that three baby raccoons had survived.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by mrikay: 8:49pm On Nov 23, 2021
An animal that is foreign to a land can potentially deciate the population od endemic animals. Plwase hunt more and kill them.. Please do not return to the wild.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Germi9: 8:49pm On Nov 23, 2021
Raccoon the notorious snake eater
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by tctrills: 8:53pm On Nov 23, 2021
helinues:

7 racoons. Then how many Racoons would be left in the bush?

One of the reasons why there is nothing like Wild Geo Nigeria
Food first b4 geo wild
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by KingDash: 9:11pm On Nov 23, 2021
foxxydude:

You get sense?
sorry
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Adrian9(m): 9:12pm On Nov 23, 2021
Ilaumoh:

Believe western media at your own damage
E shock me!
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by omenkaLives(m): 9:13pm On Nov 23, 2021
seunmsg:
Racoon, come and see your cousin grin
Racoons are very dangerous animals. Very destructive and carry a deadly variant of rabies.

Disgusting animal I must say. Glad they caught it.

2 Likes

Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by ceejayluv(m): 9:16pm On Nov 23, 2021
WoundedLamb:
What is I see in that cage looks more like a breed of the common racoon (Procyon Lotor as seen in the picture below).

You are absolutely right. However, that they aren't native to Africa does not mean they can't be found in Africa at all. An animal (or plant) is said to be native to a location if they originated, breed or thrive naturally there without human intervention. But then again, humans can introduce an animal to a new location and in some cases (not all), the animal could adapt to the location by undergoing certain lifestyle changes (diet, sound, breeding season, etc.).

I don't know why NL blame western media for everything including basic animal science as if there are no animals native to Africa only. Yet these guys go to school to study these things.
You've said it all. The pic isn't even clear enough to confirm it's an actual raccoon.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by AfonjaConehead: 9:28pm On Nov 23, 2021
agabusta:

And be eaten by a python afterwards.
Haba!!! Is it by 4ce now to chop racoon!!! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Ojikutumomiage(m): 9:39pm On Nov 23, 2021
Vulcanheph:
How did a Raccoon end up in Akwa ibom.... I thought these creatures aren't native to Africa.

Life nor balance anymore
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by buzorcharles(m): 9:44pm On Nov 23, 2021
That's a civet not a raccoon.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Blackdisciple(m): 10:41pm On Nov 23, 2021
I hope they will not kill and eat it sha
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by yom2(m): 11:33pm On Nov 23, 2021
Vulcanheph:
don't u know d world has become a global village? Probably came to buy market from its African cousin s
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by TIDDOLL(m): 11:37pm On Nov 23, 2021
spinna:
You catch civet come dey show us yankee racoon pics 4rm net
Lmao, I was here thinking....
Where's the Racoon..

This is Clearly a civet cat nau..
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Godbless3(m): 11:38pm On Nov 23, 2021
yanabasee2:

I don't think he will eat it.... there are zoos in the state and it'll be taken there..

The concept that akwa-ibom people eat dog at the sight of it is a plain ignorance... because I've visited plateau state and those people are the real dog eaters and on the low..

They eat all sorts of animal in plateau.... infact, there are lots of fun filled centers in plateau where you can relax and enjoy a whole holiday....

Don't ever catch rare animal to nigerian museum own/run by govt. or they will starve to death.
Better let the animal survive in its natural habitat.

1 Like

Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by joungblood(m): 12:55am On Nov 24, 2021
Una better no kill that guy o, that's a member of the guidian of the galaxy o,
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by WoundedLamb: 4:00am On Nov 24, 2021
SeriouslySense:
Could racoons be beneficial to the environment, considering that in some cases, when new species are introduced to a new environment, they could be detrimental to the native species?

If they are beneficial to our environment, then maybe, they could be aided by us to multiply.

But I just wonder if they are augmentative.

Of course, like most animals, raccoons have benefits as can be see below:

"Raccoons play an important role in maintaining ecosystem health. They are scavengers and will happily feed on carrion. These mammals essentially clean up the remains of dead animals after predators are finished, much like the vultures you see eating roadkill. In addition to scavenging, raccoons are also predators."

However, the specie OP mentioned (I believe he was referring to the Mexican cozumel raccoon) is particularly important cause it's considered critically endangered (less that 500 of them on earth), and prior to now (assuming the OP is right) was believed to be in North America alone.

I don't really know how they interact with other species, but I completely understand what you're saying about them being detrimental to other species. The invasive gray squirrel did that to the smaller red squirrel in England. On a side note, I don't think any species of raccoon is native to Africa.

NB: I'd never heard the name "campache raccoon" before now. However, I just assume the OP is referring to the cozumel raccoon cause Cozumel is near Campeche in Mexico.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by richhy84: 6:03am On Nov 24, 2021
The state govt can give an incentive or bonus to any villagers who bring a live animal to the zoo in stead of killing it
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by wildikeman(m): 7:31am On Nov 24, 2021
That's not a raccoon na. Look at it well.

Raccoon only exists in North America.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by SeriouslySense(m): 7:57am On Nov 24, 2021
The fact that they are an endangered species, makes it more important to encourage their multiplication in our lands, they become an asset, and if we were very conscious of the fact that we are losing biodiversity in our lands, we could have tried reversing such trends, with a big picture in mind, that we can have great biodiversity, which not only enriches our environment but makes an exceptional difference.

Although being Predators, they may compete with people, but there should be a natural balance.

You really know about nature, you must be an expert.

WoundedLamb:

Of course, like most animals, raccoons have benefits as can be see below:

"Raccoons play an important role in maintaining ecosystem health. They are scavengers and will happily feed on carrion. These mammals essentially clean up the remains of dead animals after predators are finished, much like the vultures you see eating roadkill. In addition to scavenging, raccoons are also predators."

However, the specie OP mentioned (I believe he was referring to the Mexican cozumel raccoon) is particularly important cause it's considered critically endangered (less that 500 of them on earth), and prior to now (assuming the OP is right) was believed to be in North America alone.

I don't really know how they interact with other species, but I completely understand what you're saying about them being detrimental to other species. The invasive gray squirrel did that to the smaller red squirrel in England. On a side note, I don't think any species of raccoon is native to Africa.

NB: I'd never heard the name "campache raccoon" before now. However, I just assume the OP is referring to the cozumel raccoon cause Cozumel is near Campeche in Mexico.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Offpoint1: 7:58am On Nov 24, 2021
yanabasee2:

I don't think he will eat it.... there are zoos in the state and it'll be taken there..

The concept that akwa-ibom people eat dog at the sight of it is a plain ignorance... because I've visited plateau state and those people are the real dog eaters and on the low..

They eat all sorts of animal in plateau.... infact, there are lots of fun filled centers in plateau where you can relax and enjoy a whole holiday....
Don't mind those ignorance jackasses, when it comes to dog eating... Ondo state indigenes and Plateau top the chart... Base on my experience.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by Codes151(m): 8:01am On Nov 24, 2021
Which one is island of ibeno.
Re: Raccoon Caught In Gods Island In Ibeno, Akwa Ibom (Pictures) by bluejeff(m): 8:03am On Nov 24, 2021
Sure that is a raccoon or an African civet?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15-Year-Old Boy Hooks A Rare Giant Albino Catfish In Tennessee, US (Photos) / Starving Elephant Spotted At The Maiduguri Zoo In Borno State. / Peregrine Falcon From Finland Killed In Delta State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.