Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,910 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:03 AM

12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World (18585 Views)

In Nigeria Being A Single Young Lady In The Corporate Sector Is HARD WORK! / 8 Factors Hindering You From Moving Up The Corporate Ladder / The Nitty Gritty Of The Corporate World... Thing To Know Before Starting A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by ReventifyCV: 10:49am On Nov 22, 2021
More often than not, we learn our biggest lessons the hard way. From realizing that fire burns to experiencing some dazzling electric shocks, our childhood must have taught us many memorable lessons. Well, the corporate world is no different. It handles the ignorant and uninitiated in the same way a candle fire will – e no dey look face or intention. So, from mistakes that can cost you your job to those that can leave you wallowing in debt, you must realize that the corporate world is a place to tread carefully.

Our 12 Biggest Lessons from the Corporate World
1.The value you give is never correlated with the reward you derive
2. Not Making Allies is the Quickest Route to Failure
3. Your Boss and Coworkers Are Not Your Friends
4. You Are in Competition with Everyone, Even Your Boss
5.Long Service Doesn’t Mean a Thing
6. Promotions Are Not Always Tied to Your Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
7. Always Be Searching (ABS)
8. Be Valuable Yet Replaceable
9. Your Image Can Win You Favors
10. Office Romance Rarely Ends Well
11. Document Very Important Discussions
12. Never Pitch Your Tent with Mediocrity

123 Likes 17 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by revived: 1:28pm On Nov 22, 2021
E go be

Omooooooooo shey I fit work for office like this sef grin grin

Maybe I go use am catch cruise someday

That no.3 got me grin grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Badgers14: 1:28pm On Nov 22, 2021
13. Do not cut corners.

14. Do not do any "favors" always follow companies policy.. don't be surprised that the person you did favors for will be the one to turn you in.

15. For the men, be careful the kind of joke or words you use around your female colleagues. They might laugh then but they usually save it for later and can cash in the future at your expense. (Yes, the reason why I didn't say women be careful.... is because in the corporate world, when this roles are reversed, it really holds water. Example, a guy tells blonde, hey Ashley you look nice today, I like your shirt, it showed your burst.
And a lady walks by and hits the guy on the chest, and feels his muscles hey Brad, you are buffed up with full chest, you slept at the gym all weekend? I like your shirt by the way, it shows your full broad chest.

Notice the difference, the guy just made a comment but the lady actually touched the guys chest in addition to making a comment ... usually, shamefully HR looks at the 2 cases differently and first and foremost.. the guy in this example will rarely report an incident like that , most men will not make anything out of it... but women

94 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Chimurake: 1:28pm On Nov 22, 2021
Nice one

1 Like

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by mighty5050(m): 1:29pm On Nov 22, 2021
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by 1bunne4lif(m): 1:29pm On Nov 22, 2021
Is that so?
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by BigBelleControl(m): 1:29pm On Nov 22, 2021
No 7 and 8 are key.
If the company does not belong to you, be every prepared for exit anytime.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by morakinyo20(m): 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2021
So on point.
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by talk2hb1(m): 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2021
ReventifyCV:
More often than not, we learn our biggest lessons the hard way. From realizing that fire burns to experiencing some dazzling electric shocks, our childhood must have taught us many memorable lessons. Well, the corporate world is no different. It handles the ignorant and uninitiated in the same way a candle fire will – e no dey look face or intention. So, from mistakes that can cost you your job to those that can leave you wallowing in debt, you must realize that the corporate world is a place to tread carefully.

Our 12 Biggest Lessons from the Corporate World
1.The value you give is never correlated with the reward you derive
2. Not Making Allies is the Quickest Route to Failure
3. Your Boss and Coworkers Are Not Your Friends
4. You Are in Competition with Everyone, Even Your Boss
5.Long Service Doesn’t Mean a Thing
6. Promotions Are Not Always Tied to Your Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
7. Always Be Searching (ABS)
8. Be Valuable Yet Replaceable
9. Your Image Can Win You Favors
10. Office Romance Rarely Ends Well
11. Document Very Important Discussions
12. Never Pitch Your Tent with Mediocrity

13) You Are Only Loyal To Yourself, and Your Salary. Because You are Paid Based on Your Relevancy
14)No Complacency, Be Comfortable With Being Uncomfortable!

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by odaniel1(m): 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2021
Your coworkers are never your friends and long service don't mean a thing. Biggest nuggets here.
Eyeservice all you want but if you don't increase your value, in time, you'd fade out..!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by pocohantas(f): 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2021
Pay very close attention to your subordinates. Sometimes do giveaway for them. This includes cleaners and even security men. They can make or mar you.

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Colybaly: 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Waakanda: 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2021
cheesy

1 Like

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Ephemmm: 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2021
1. Keep up appearances. Good manners, good dress sense and a good handshake – these form the foundation of solid corporate culture.
2. Promotions are not linked to performance. At best they are linked to the perception of your performance.
3. There’s a fine line between gaining experience and getting rusty. Know when to draw that line
4. Never associate your self-worth to your salary, position and performance in the company.

I can add more, but I need glucose for now.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by freshkpomo(m): 1:31pm On Nov 22, 2021
No 10 cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Exkandayee(m): 1:31pm On Nov 22, 2021
Sure I've been there,but you go nack for corporate world like tomorrow no dey,e get one babe weh dey gemme me anytime,both for restrooms, manager office, I'm not lying, corporate people back pass akpako

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by olaboy33(m): 1:31pm On Nov 22, 2021
Be wary of female bosses...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by MrImole: 1:32pm On Nov 22, 2021
Okay
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by bigdammyj: 1:32pm On Nov 22, 2021
Okay
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Offpoint1: 1:32pm On Nov 22, 2021
And lastly, raise a middle finger at your boss once in awhile...

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by wonlasewonimi: 1:32pm On Nov 22, 2021
So very true
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Sleemdadee(m): 1:34pm On Nov 22, 2021
Shebi na for person wey dey find office work

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by 1313tee: 1:34pm On Nov 22, 2021
Very on points.
I'm tired of my own office seriously.

My boss always points out errors and would never commend for any good task.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by CHRISSANCHEZ(m): 1:34pm On Nov 22, 2021
Nice Information.
Thank you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by maestro299: 1:34pm On Nov 22, 2021
odaniel1:
Your coworkers are never your friends and long service don't mean a thing. Biggest nuggets here.
Eyeservice all you want but if you don't increase your value, in time, you'd fade out..!
In Nigeria, always be prayerful. Juju too much for office work...

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by Cleanworld(f): 1:36pm On Nov 22, 2021
Fire Outbreak At Bonny Jetty In Port Harcourt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGeTq2feR9s
Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by qanda: 1:38pm On Nov 22, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by mamaafrik(m): 1:38pm On Nov 22, 2021
maestro299:
In Nigeria, always be prayerful. Juju too much for office work...
na true

3 Likes

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by XshegzzyeeiX: 1:39pm On Nov 22, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Biggest Lessons From The Corporate World by JavaScript90: 1:39pm On Nov 22, 2021
nobody is your ally. everybody is truly replaceable

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iniubong Umoren, CCCRN: Newswire Admits Error, Retracts Story Linking NGO / Have You Ever Worked Where You Had To Submit Your Phone Before Resuming / Total Oil Interview Any Idea On The Format?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.