Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) (19397 Views)

Seen This Unusual Job Advert On Facebook? / Just Got A New Job Atlast!!!!! / How To Get A New Job After Losing Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 22, 2021
One of the reasons you can't seem to get a job is because you're doing what every other person is doing- submitting your CV (applications) and hoping that one day, they would call you. Bad strategy! In fact, that method is tired already. Too many people in that queue.

Do this instead:

1. Do your research VERY WELL. Know who is who in that company. But more importantly, know who is the most instrumental in giving out jobs. I mean who can have a final say in giving you a job in that company? Know how your presence in the company can add value to them.

2. Mail or call your prospective employer or that key figure in the company directly. Call the contacts displayed on their company website to ask for this key figure's contact. Or message this person directly on LinkedIn. Nothing works like having a personal touch with the most important person in the process of getting your desired job. Please before you do this, you must be very sure you have the competence (adequate skill) to do that job. You're calling (please do not text) or mailing to make a case for yourself, stating why you think you're best suited for the job and also, possibly, to get an appointment for an interview.

3. If step 2 above fails, get a mutual contact to put in a good word for you at the company in question. We all have somebody who knows somebody who may know somebody in that company we are looking to work in. Check your LinkedIn connections, scan your group of friends, relatives, the WhatsApp groups you belong to, any interest group you belong to, past employers… There should be a possible link somewhere, somehow. You never can tell, just stretch the possibilities that this link exists. Once you find this link, simply ask him or her to help you convince your prospective employer that you're the best talent there is for that particular job. And if there's no current job opening, think of how you can fit into the company and sell them a new role by showing them why they would be needing one- the one you'll be occupying.

4. Show up at the office in person anyways
The proof of desire is pursuit. So whether steps 2 and 3 above worked or not, still go to the office of that company after making several attempts to get the attention of the key figure. Show up at their office and ask to have a face-to-face with this fellow. If they ask whether you have an appointment (most won't), tell them you have an important message to deliver to so-and-so and you would rather do it in person. The essence of this step is to get a chance to sell yourself in person. If you're really good, you should land an immediate appointment for an interview this way.

I applied steps 1,2 and 4 to get my first job. I applied step 3 to get my second job.

*The above four steps work best with small-to-medium-sized -companies where it is relatively easy to have access to key figures in the company.

All the best with your job search.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by enemachris(m): 1:49pm On Nov 22, 2021
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 22, 2021
enemachris:
grin

All the best fam! grin
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by chigoziri2403(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2021
Using Nigeria as a case study

7 Likes

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Fyie: 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2021
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by jarvis4: 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2021
Whatever works for you may not work for another

2 Likes

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Chuknovski(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2021
wink No.5 in naija you need Gods favour,
And a lil bit of connecsan (the vessel he uses)grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by DigitalyYours: 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2021
If you do not go after what you want, You'll never have it.

If you do not ask, the answer will always be NO.

If you do not step forward, You will always be in the same place.

KEEP PUSHING

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Samiah33(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2021
Hmm
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by calculator123(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2021
Nothing unusual here

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Bobotic(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2021
Job in this Nigeria abi?........Nonsense! sad

4 Likes

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by bigdammyj: 5:52pm On Nov 22, 2021
Okay
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Okwuapkunaonu(m): 5:52pm On Nov 22, 2021
Did any civil servant send Davido common 1k? My friend got and seat down with your useless job.

6 Likes

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nicklaus619(m): 5:52pm On Nov 22, 2021
cool
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Eriokanmi: 5:53pm On Nov 22, 2021
I didn't even observe any of these.

Read my story and advice given to one job applicant who posted his horrible interview experience on NL a few minutes ago.

How can you even contact a potential employer who didn't reveal their identity in the first place?

https://www.nairaland.com/likesandshares#107864096
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by RealAdewole(m): 5:54pm On Nov 22, 2021
5. Be ready to work outside your primary field of study

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by yagi(m): 5:55pm On Nov 22, 2021
https://sniggyvest.com/i.php?r=29080jp

Trending,join as e dey hot
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Whazar(m): 5:55pm On Nov 22, 2021
mtchew
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Sirlins(m): 5:55pm On Nov 22, 2021
Omoh the best unusual way to get a job is to be self employed

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by vikiphy89(m): 5:55pm On Nov 22, 2021
Its not that easy when it comes to joining airlines.
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by IgiveLadiesBj(m): 5:57pm On Nov 22, 2021
Number 2 works

I one time sent an Instagram DM to the MD of a big coy and he offered me a 2 months contract.

If you see the way I packaged my message eeh

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Emuforlife1: 5:57pm On Nov 22, 2021
5. Juju
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Boogyman557: 5:59pm On Nov 22, 2021
Holly Gram cool real matters. WTF MAN
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by tweakdude1: 6:00pm On Nov 22, 2021
No 2. Is the best way
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by ashybabs(m): 6:04pm On Nov 22, 2021
Bich please
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by MrJavaS: 6:06pm On Nov 22, 2021
Just know someone
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Uyi168: 6:06pm On Nov 22, 2021
nothing new here.
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by GUNITGuy: 6:08pm On Nov 22, 2021
In this Naija?
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Makschinchin: 6:09pm On Nov 22, 2021
Get long legs grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by kunle75(m): 6:10pm On Nov 22, 2021
jarvis4:
Whatever works for you may not work for another

I agree with you to an extent but some timeless principles works for everyone that applies them.

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by kayttah(m): 6:14pm On Nov 22, 2021
Cold mails to startup CEOs works tho. But you've to sell your uvp (what you're bringing to the table). So if you don't really have anything to offer, it won't work.

And yeah, you might send out so many cold mails and wouldn't get a response.

I just feel you need to find the problem the company is actively trying to solve or the problem facing the company itself and shoot a mail detailing how you gon solve the issue(s).

6 Likes

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by We4all: 6:15pm On Nov 22, 2021
Nothing unusual about these. I could recall how a lady I used to know back then got a job. She stormed into a Federal Minister’s office and insisted she needed to be alone with him.

As soon as her wish was granted, she removed her blouse and exposed her boobs. She got her appointment letter the next day. The Minister was a Calabar man and big boobs was his weakness.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

774,000 Jobs: Disregard Messages To Go To NDE Offices To Register - Keyamo / One Of The Best Ways To Answer "Why Do You Want To Leave Your Job?" / Free Job Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers For Practice And Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.