Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,145 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:41 AM

Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? (24746 Views)

FBI Tracked Woodberry Via Iphone, Whatsapp, Bitcoin Transactions / Prostitute Arrested After Being Tracked Down With Stolen Phone In Owerri. Photo / Spray Painter Tracked Down In Osun State After Fleeing With Customer's Car.Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by kokomilala(m): 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2021
Law enforcers have access to the backdoor of mobile phones. Although, in many quarters it causes privacy concerns, possibly no more so on Hauwei's and China's interface with the rest of the world.
Besides,digital footprints can also help.So,no cybercriminal is really undetected in the real world.
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2021
ipobarethieves:
If dey mistakenly send u card,the. U too should mistakenly use the card and block the bastard

gringringrin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Genesiis(m): 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2021
Fraudsters do get Sims cards from stollen/lost phones. They should be tracked using the last or current location the SIM got it BTS signal from.
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by airsaylongcome: 8:48pm On Nov 23, 2021
finalboss:

You can't track anyone using their phone number it's unreliable just like using IP address

Lol! Not true. How do you think the police track kidnappers (for the cases they want to act on). With a court order, the telcos can release the location of the mast that your Sim is communicating with. The rest na trap to pin you

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by SonofGod231: 8:53pm On Nov 23, 2021
Dblaiz:
Guys, some bank staffs also run kolabo with these fraudsters.

Just last week, my younger bro opened a UBA account. Yes, UBA. I mentioned the bank name because I'm highly disappointed.

Back to my story... After he registered account, got his Mastercard ATM. Barely 24 hours afterwards, he started receiving 419 calls.
He hasn't even used the card online.

The fraudsters know his name, full name, date of birth. Virtually every information about him.

They went like, am I speaking with (name with held) , I'm so so so from UBA, and I would like to ask some information to help us serve you better. Can you confirm that your date of birth is (...).

The shocking part was that they knew the card details already. They only needed the 4 digit ATM pin.

How else will they have all those information if there are no insiders selling out info to fraudsters. Guys just beware. Eye dey red and boys are not smiling. Criminals are everywhere
You are right...Just to add to yours,a Friend of mine came in from the States and wanted to open an account temporarily so we both went to the bank together while we were there filling the forms and other formalities, I noticed one particular girl(the bank staff)say her eyes no just good...We Opened the account and left,two days later, someone called my line and was asking if I was so so and so(my friend from Yankee had used my phone number instead just to open the account previously)so I was surprised though but answered"yes"since it was my friend that was being referred to as me and I knew the name very well,only for the person to start talking about someone trying to use my ATM card and he was calling to assist me solve that.I just told him to get out and knew it was only someone from inside the bank that must have gotten the info because that was where the only mix up was. Calling me my friends name instead of my own and that can only come from the bank where he used my number.

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by airsaylongcome: 8:54pm On Nov 23, 2021
TOPCRUISE:
All this sim and NIN registration are just a waste of time

You think the NIN registration is a waste of time? Have you seen any northerner complain about NIN registration? Do you know how many Nigeriens are coming into Nigeria to register NIN as Nigerians? When Census comes next year and the government throws a curveball that only people with NIN will be counted what will be your response? Or that only people with NIN can vote? Then we in the south will cry blue murder whereas the "uneducated" abokee will throng out in numbers to determine who will rule over us the so-called educated and sophisticated south

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Rhema03(m): 8:54pm On Nov 23, 2021
Some of this scammers still people sim card and use them to call you or chat so tracking them maybe hard....
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Obascoetubi: 8:58pm On Nov 23, 2021
finalboss:

You can't track anyone using their phone number it's unreliable just like using IP address
but police tracked numbers
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by 1zynnvn(m): 8:59pm On Nov 23, 2021
It can actually be tracked. Are you a famous person? If no, then Bleep off
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by 1zynnvn(m): 9:01pm On Nov 23, 2021
Obascoetubi:
but police tracked numbers
Network providers can track the location of every number under their coverage. Using the nearest mast close to you. They have your imei once you put their sim inside your phone. But they can't just give you that info except you are famous or a politician or efcc. My thoughts
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Eastcaostboy: 9:08pm On Nov 23, 2021
othermen:
On Zenith Bank official page on social media (Facebook especially) you have loads of fraudsters using the name of the bank. A naive or distraught customer making a complaint is sometimes not responded to by the bank, but then a fraudster with the name of the bank contacts you or responds. I don’t know why the bank allows this on their official page.

If you check the screenshot, the name of the official page of the bank is very similar to the one responding to the customers complaint and the naive or distraught customer in the heat of resolving the issue, is taken advantage of. The second screenshot shows the misleading fake blue tick on such fraudulent account. I hope the banks follow up on such activities on their page and remove such fraudulent pages.
Bankers are just the same criminals you see with arms, the different is just that they wear suit
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by crackhouse(m): 9:11pm On Nov 23, 2021
One called me and said the same thing that his father mistakingly sent a recharge card to Me and asked if I received it, i told him to call his father so he can resend the card to him again but the stupid boy cut the call immediately

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Shakathezulu1: 9:31pm On Nov 23, 2021
cliqtips:

Yes na grin grin
I Sabi deir operation, the guy na 1 local Yoruba guy. The intonation from the guy dey always make me laugh.
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 23, 2021
finalboss:

It is actually, even better than IP.
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Federalofficia(m): 9:39pm On Nov 23, 2021
Okay now, oya go commut murder case Or go steal one big money then drop your bvn ar the scene make you run comot for nigeria boya DSS no go find you grin
Jamesbiodun:
Everything we did is meaningless to me from sim registration to bvn and Nin, they just wasted our time
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by stacyadams: 9:58pm On Nov 23, 2021
Viking07:
Lalasticlala, I am also interested in knowing why these fraudsters can't be tracked using their phone numbers? When you watch the crime channel (IDExtra) on DSTv, you'll see how these American cops track criminals with just a phone.

Why is our own case different?
grin the country is beyond redemption....can u point to any sector that is working? I mean in 21st century standard...from the airport you will c a failed state

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by centilad(m): 10:05pm On Nov 23, 2021
This one called that his family had an accident along Challenge Bstp Lagos Ibadan Expressway.

Unfortunately tws a woman who got the call initially and almost fall for him before i collected her fone to confront d mugu.

Just created a thread via traffic segment aftr requesting the info from @MTN Care line 180 but no show as dey were just saying rubbish.
femi4:

The idiot above called yesterday wanting to confirm my dob. Useless people. I ve flagged his number as scammer on Truecaller
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by centilad(m): 10:08pm On Nov 23, 2021
As in, I come tire for the registration people for my adugbo pay 4,000Naira each to do.
cliqtips:
What exactly is the purpose of doing SIM registration?
If it can't be used to track Scammers.

I had two experiences with these scammers this week.

One called me telling me an old man was trying to send recharge to his son but mistakenly sent the recharge cards to my phone that the cards worth 3000 Naira.

"Lmao" in brodashaggi's voice.

This stupid boy is the same person that would act the old man for me on the call but I wasn't caught up for his act anyways.

As at the time he called, he hadn't received any text message (of the card) from the number but I was sure that he was going to send it after the code. Of course, I have had similar experiences before. ( na their format be that grin )

To cut the story short, I told him on that call to get a job instead of trying to scam people ( I did that because I wasn't in the mood to stay long on the call).

Another one, it was a stupid fellow that replied my comment on a particular bank IG page telling me to whatsapp a number to assist me.
Honestly, maybe because I was livid, I didn't check the handle correctly (I shared a screenshot)

I added the number on whatsapp and the werey was acting like a rep/member of the company. He introduced himself as a lady grin with his ID number (acted as if he was genuine )

So, he asked me what my complaint was and told me he wanted to assist me.

He asked for my bank details which I gave him.
Then, he proceeded to ask for the first 6 digits of my card and the last 4 digits of the card. ( I already told him that the issue I was having is card related issues) so, I gave him the details.
Of course, I'm aware that with the details I gave above, he can't hack my account unless he gets or knows my PIN. So, I wasn't bothered until he asked me for my PIN number.

I asked him *Are you joking?* & *Lol*.

He then replied me saying this line
"Be informed questions asked are for confidential and for authentication purpose only"

For my mind, I say "werey" cheesy

what I noticed was that those message he sent were canned messages i.e stored shortcuts reply on his whatsapp. Which means he has been doing it for long and he's still doing that.

So, After he noticed I wasn't ready to give him the PIN, he blocked me on his whatsapp.

The fun thing is that the werey is using the company's logo as dp.

So back to my question, with the SIM registration that has been mandatory for everyone before using a SIM card,

can't these Scammers be tracked down?

Using the details collected from them by their network service provider.

I'm just thinking aloud here. Because I'm sure, I wasn't the only one those two contacted.

https://www.nairaland.com/6864250/beware-fake-road-safety-officer

Just this afternoon by 4pm na so d mugu too call mk I create thread ooo
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by AgricMaster: 10:19pm On Nov 23, 2021
Viking07:
Lalasticlala, I am also interested in knowing why these fraudsters can't be tracked using their phone numbers? When you watch the crime channel (IDExtra) on DSTv, you'll see how these American cops track criminals with just a phone.

Why is our own case different?

you did not pay enough tis is nigeria

but if its stolen phone and involve death possible officer (army,navy,air force) death. it will be track within 24hours
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 23, 2021
cliqtips:
What exactly is the purpose of doing SIM registration?
If it can't be used to track Scammers.

I had two experiences with these scammers this week.

One called me telling me an old man was trying to send recharge to his son but mistakenly sent the recharge cards to my phone that the cards worth 3000 Naira.

"Lmao" in brodashaggi's voice.

This stupid boy is the same person that would act the old man for me on the call but I wasn't caught up for his act anyways.

As at the time he called, he hadn't received any text message (of the card) from the number but I was sure that he was going to send it after the code. Of course, I have had similar experiences before. ( na their format be that grin )

To cut the story short, I told him on that call to get a job instead of trying to scam people ( I did that because I wasn't in the mood to stay long on the call).

Another one, it was a stupid fellow that replied my comment on a particular bank IG page telling me to whatsapp a number to assist me.
Honestly, maybe because I was livid, I didn't check the handle correctly (I shared a screenshot)

I added the number on whatsapp and the werey was acting like a rep/member of the company. He introduced himself as a lady grin with his ID number (acted as if he was genuine )

So, he asked me what my complaint was and told me he wanted to assist me.

He asked for my bank details which I gave him.
Then, he proceeded to ask for the first 6 digits of my card and the last 4 digits of the card. ( I already told him that the issue I was having is card related issues) so, I gave him the details.
Of course, I'm aware that with the details I gave above, he can't hack my account unless he gets or knows my PIN. So, I wasn't bothered until he asked me for my PIN number.

I asked him *Are you joking?* & *Lol*.

He then replied me saying this line
"Be informed questions asked are for confidential and for authentication purpose only"

For my mind, I say "werey" cheesy

what I noticed was that those message he sent were canned messages i.e stored shortcuts reply on his whatsapp. Which means he has been doing it for long and he's still doing that.

So, After he noticed I wasn't ready to give him the PIN, he blocked me on his whatsapp.

The fun thing is that the werey is using the company's logo as dp.

So back to my question, with the SIM registration that has been mandatory for everyone before using a SIM card,

can't these Scammers be tracked down?

Using the details collected from them by their network service provider.

I'm just thinking aloud here. Because I'm sure, I wasn't the only one those two contacted.

you gave him the details? First 6 and last 4? Do you know which of your other info he already has? Or can easily get with your identity that he knows already? Go and change your card. Except he's a novice, you can be hacked

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by cliqtips: 10:59pm On Nov 23, 2021
Takeproft:
you gave him the details? First 6 and last 4? Do you know which of your other info he already has? Or can easily get with your identity that he knows already? Go and change your card. Except he's a novice, you can be hacked

Please note this.....
The first 6 digits of debit card tells about the company which has issued the card. It is known as Issuer Identification Number (IIN). And there is nothing to be worried about if you give it out, as these numbers does not reveal anything about you and your bank account. It has only been issued by the card provider and is kept unique.

You can also Google it to confirm.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by cliqtips: 11:01pm On Nov 23, 2021
Shakathezulu1:

I Sabi deir operation, the guy na 1 local Yoruba guy. The intonation from the guy dey always make me laugh.

You're right... atimes I do play along with them to waste their call card grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by ipobarethieves: 11:12pm On Nov 23, 2021
shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin
OKOATA:
angry
Conversation I heard with some of them earlier. mumu people.
dey tink everybody are dumb upstairs.Nah one hopeless boy is behind this

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Shakathezulu1: 11:54pm On Nov 23, 2021
cliqtips:

You're right... atimes I do play along with them to waste their call card grin grin
Man whey Sabi. Gbefun
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Goldbw122(m): 12:00am On Nov 24, 2021
wunmi590:

Because the government themselves are original scammers....
That is another level of business on it's own.
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by kayusely70(m): 2:10am On Nov 24, 2021
[sub][/sub]
szczescie:
Number 1 reason is laziness on the part of victims and Nigerians

Number 2 is religiousity, Nigerians and the "leave it for god" mentality because of this most lawyers no dey chop.

Number 3 lack of trust in police

Number 4 fear of police

Number 5 money police will charge you for the case I tho you are the victim

Also consider that there are Too many of them, too much effort for what is considered little crime/non violent crime.

Imagine stealing $10 from someone an ocean away for the person to prosecute it will cost thousands of dollars, that's almost what going to court feels like for over 80% of Nigerians (70% of Nigerians are living below poverty line according to all major reputable sources).

Also in cases like these where they attempted but you didn't fall for it there's no incentive to pursue

But me what I do is I block their accounts make them sweat a little, go to police file a report, take that report to court to get an order freezing the account pending ininvestigation... Usually I abandon the case here because it costs money and time to pursue it up... If you want to do it just let me know I can run it for you.
Can you assist me to track someone who scammed me of 10000. I've all the details of our chats on WhatsApp. Thanks.
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Nobody: 5:14am On Nov 24, 2021
cliqtips:

Please note this.....
The first 6 digits of debit card tells about the company which has issued the card. It is known as Issuer Identification Number (IIN). And there is nothing to be worried about if you give it out, as these numbers does not reveal anything about you and your bank account. It has only been issued by the card provider and is kept unique.

You can also Google it to confirm.
you gave the first 6 and the last 4 according to you. Knowing your full name, there are several techniques that can be used to get your complete DC details. I know very much about Credit Cards and how they work
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by dmangodwin(m): 6:28am On Nov 24, 2021
mutvy:
Lack of interest from mobile phones service providers.

Lack of will by government, they create data base with bogus amount without making use of it.the network providers has lots of information even without SIM registration but the government only use it when it affect one of the high and mighty.
In western countries nobody does SIM registration but they know every thing about you.
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by HonestFriend: 6:37am On Nov 24, 2021
Mine ws yesterday... Same recharge card thief..
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by Nobody: 7:00am On Nov 24, 2021
finalboss:

Using phone numbers is actually the best way to track better than IP. Devices without internet access cannot have IP. But phone can be tracked base on the last communication with a base station, I mean the network mast. This is how the car tracking system works.
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by HonestFriend: 7:00am On Nov 24, 2021
sanny1:
See the face of this scammer too he scammed me with 5k and run his phone number is 07036566725 his name okegbenle seun Emmanuel be way with him don't do any transaction with him

Tnks for the info even chatting with him just now... He said he will develop admob app for me..
Re: Why Can't Scammers Be Tracked Down By Their Phone Numbers ? by HonestFriend: 7:04am On Nov 24, 2021
Shakathezulu1:

Na 1 Yoruba guy dey act as the old man bah.

Yes... Same person call me yesterday that his father mistakenly sent 2k airtime to my line..
The way I shout for ram en..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Brothers Cut-Off Neighbor's Scrotum Over N200 / Gunmen Kill Badarawa Shinkafi Villagers In Zamfara. Photos / My Husband Stole My Money, Beat, Sent Me Out Naked, Woman Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.