Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! (561 Views)

Doctor Couple Die As Fire Razes Home In Maiduguri (Photos) / Three Children Burnt To Death As Fire Razes Parent's Home In Benue (Photo) / Man Builds Replica Of Taj Mahal For Wife As Home In India(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 2:57pm On Nov 24, 2021
my uncle fell ill and battled for a while before succumbing to the illness. He was a teacher and his children desired he be buried in a tool of his trade, a BIRO!
Also on display are some cultural attributes of our people Ashanti region.
On the morning of the funeral, as early as 5am the wailing begins and thats the aspect that really pushes your emotions!
then a service is conducted especially if the deceased is a christian before internment at about noon.
The family then sits at a large open place to recieve condolences from visitors who also contribute to the family in cash as a way of support.
Here are a few pictures

3 Likes

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 2:57pm On Nov 24, 2021
Tool of his trade

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 2:59pm On Nov 24, 2021
lying in state

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:01pm On Nov 24, 2021
mourners

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:03pm On Nov 24, 2021
teaching colleagues adding color to the event

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by isaiah4life(m): 3:04pm On Nov 24, 2021
I hope his pay while alive was commensurate with his passion for his trade.

2 Likes

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:04pm On Nov 24, 2021
more teachers at the event

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 24, 2021
Eiya

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:37pm On Nov 24, 2021
section of pupils from the school he taught for many years who came to pay the last respects

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:38pm On Nov 24, 2021
elders in the family

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:41pm On Nov 24, 2021
maidens carrying gifts as a rite of passage for the dead...we believe in life after death and these gifts are said to be given to the deceased to accompany him along the hereafter. They include soap, creams, wine, handkerchiefs etc

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:43pm On Nov 24, 2021
sweets and perfumes are included in the items carried by the maidens

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:53pm On Nov 24, 2021
a solemn moment ....his daughter

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:54pm On Nov 24, 2021
some women trying to console his family

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 24, 2021
May his soul rest in peace

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:56pm On Nov 24, 2021
the coffin on display

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 24, 2021
jaszplus12:
maidens carrying gifts as a rite of passage for the dead...we believe in life after death and these gifts are said to be given to the deceased to accompany him along the hereafter. They include soap, creams, wine, handkerchiefs etc
Do these gifts go in the coffin with him?
Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:57pm On Nov 24, 2021
InTheCloudySky:
May his soul rest in peace
Amennnnn!!
Thank you

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 3:58pm On Nov 24, 2021
InTheCloudySky:
Do these go in the coffin with him?
No please it is only symbolic.
Usually it will be shared among family members after the internment

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 4:01pm On Nov 24, 2021
InTheCloudySky:
Do these gifts go in the coffin with him?
usually the gifts are shared to family members after the internment, so it is only symbolic as though he is been given provisions going to the hereafter

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by Mstick: 4:05pm On Nov 24, 2021
OP can you please remove the picture of his corpse?

RIP to your uncle.
Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by illicit(m): 4:18pm On Nov 24, 2021
RIP Comrade
Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 24, 2021
jaszplus12:

No please it is only symbolic.
Usually it will be shared among family members after the internment
jaszplus12:

usually the gifts are shared to family members after the internment, so it is only symbolic as though he is been given provisions going to the hereafter
Oh okay. Thanks for the explanation. You could've said it was "symbolic" earlier but your use of the word "accompanying" made it seem like they somehow go with him, lol. smiley

3 Likes

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 4:31pm On Nov 24, 2021
InTheCloudySky:

Oh okay. Thanks for the explanation. You could've said it was "symbolic" earlier but your use of the word "accompanying" made it seem like they somehow go with him, lol. smiley
thanks for the correction. I think the 'accompanying' aspect is like the one the ancient Egyptians did to the Pharoahs old. They loaded the tombs with provisions and other items to take with him to the afterlife!

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by ThatFairGuy: 5:02pm On Nov 24, 2021
Hmmmn
Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 24, 2021
jaszplus12:

thanks for the correction. I think the 'accompanying' aspect is like the one the ancient Egyptians did to the Pharoahs old. They loaded the tombs with provisions and other items to take with him to the afterlife!
This was actually why I thought the gifts would go in the tomb. I read your comment about the gifts accompanying him and thought of the ancient Egyptians who were buried with what were known as grave goods. These were personal belongings, foods/favorite foods, drinks, games, furniture, etc., needed to provide the dead with what they would need in the afterlife. Was this symbolic feature of the ceremony channeled after the ancient Egyptians' funerary practice?

1 Like

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by Richy4(m): 6:16pm On Nov 24, 2021
Ghanaians are really creative in terms of coffin making..
Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 8:11pm On Nov 24, 2021
InTheCloudySky:
This was actually why I thought the gifts would go in the tomb. I read your comment about the gifts accompanying him and thought of the ancient Egyptians who were buried with what were known as grave goods. These were personal belongings, foods/favorite foods, drinks, games, furniture, etc., needed to provide the dead with what they would need in the afterlife. Was this symbolic feature of the ceremony channeled after the ancient Egyptians' funerary practice?
Thank you again. The tradition requires the gifts to be presented in front of guest and only symbolicly "accompanying" the deceased.
The Egyptian culture is different and I think more elaborate and interesting too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Teacher Goes Home In A Biro! by jaszplus12(m): 8:15pm On Nov 24, 2021
Mstick:
OP can you please remove the picture of his corpse?

RIP to your uncle.
OK that's the more reason i used a picture that's not too clear at his lying in state
But let me try and edit that. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Unique Unusual Twins You Won't Believe Exist / Subject Of Yahoo Boys In Our Society, Who And How Do We confront This monster? / 12 Lessons People Learn Too Late

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.