Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,332 members, 7,780,868 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:17 AM

Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' (42940 Views)

Mohamed Salah Avoids Kiss From A Female Reporter (Photos) / "We Don't Play Playstation Football":Jurgen Klopp To Reporter After Everton Draw / OMG!! Barcelona Star Arda Turan Threatens Reporter After Questioning His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by robosky02(m): 11:04am On Nov 25, 2021
UCL: Klopp clashes with reporter after calling African Cup of Nations ‘little tournament’

Liverpool boss, Jurgen Klopp has lashed out at a reporter after he was accused of insulting Africa by referring to the Africa Cup of Nations, AFCON, as a ‘little tournament’.

Before Liverpool’s Champions League match against Porto on Wednesday night, Klopp was asked about the lack of international breaks until March.

And in response, Klopp said, “No international break until March, I’ve heard that so often, but in January there’s a little tournament in Africa, I just want to say.”

And after Liverpool’s 2-0 win over Porto, a reporter returned to the Liverpool boss, asking him to apologize to the people of Africa for his choice of words.

The German said, “It’s all good, I didn’t mean it like that. I don’t know why you understand it like that to be honest.

“I didn’t mean it like that, come on… so I was not even close to it being the idea in my mind that I want to talk about the AFCON as a ‘little tournament’ or about the continent of Africa as a ‘little continent’, not at all.

“What I meant was, if you watch the full press conference, then you might have understood it the right way if you wanted to because I said there are no international breaks until March now.

“I said, ‘oh, there’s a little tournament in January’ and I didn’t mean a ‘little’ tournament, I was just saying it’s still a tournament, it’s ironic. It’s still a tournament, a big one. We [will] lose our best players to that tournament.

“I am not a native speaker but if you want to understand me wrong, you can do that all the time.

“I really don’t… I know that I would never think like this. I don’t understand why you thought this to be honest, but that’s really not OK as I would never do that.

“But that is it now. It was not my intention but you made something [more] of it, so that is not so cool to be 100 per cent honest.”

https://dailypost.ng/2021/11/25/ucl-klopp-clashes-with-reporter-after-calling-african-cup-of-nations-little-tournament/

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by tillaman(m): 11:05am On Nov 25, 2021
iyen klopp na, make e just talk say e go miss Manè and Salah them why does he have to low rate Afcon

98 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by ifytrik(m): 11:05am On Nov 25, 2021
Clop, Diego simeoni and Costa would have been mad men roaming the street if not that they where fortunate to be born in a developed country that has the best psychiatric hospitals, despite visiting psychiatric hospitals from time to time, they still behave and talk like mad people sometimes.

244 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by KingEverest: 11:08am On Nov 25, 2021
all these journalist and reporters eh undecided they understood wat he meant o they just wanted to implicate him

191 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by robosky02(m): 11:11am On Nov 25, 2021
Kloop will miss his men

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 25, 2021
Is AFCON not a little tournament? Boring matches with under 2 goals and poor video coverage.

278 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by robosky02(m): 11:16am On Nov 25, 2021
KingEverest:
all these journalist and reporters eh undecided they understood wat he meant o they just wanted to implicate him

See the AFCON should NEVER be disrespected

Kloop didn't see it like Africa's world cup

He see it as something his key players will just go and return.

No no no ....it must be seen as it is.... African world cup..

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by ifytrik(m): 11:28am On Nov 25, 2021
Joysticks:
Is AFCON not a little tournament? Boring matches with under 2 goals and poor video coverage.
can also make such statement if it was the European championship he was talking about?

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 25, 2021
ifytrik:
Clop, Diego simeoni and Costa would have been mad men roaming the street if not that they where fortunate to be born in a developed country that has the best psychiatric hospitals, despite visiting psychiatric hospitals from time to time, they still behave and talk like mad people sometimes.

Oya sorry. Make una no quote me again.

6 Likes

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by oloriooko(m): 11:33am On Nov 25, 2021
him no lie na what's the fuss about
Afcon no get level at all imagine no VAR in the last qualifiers, teams still write to complain about ref, it's a big shame
let's tell ourselves the truth africa and afcon are both little things!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Pathokpo: 11:38am On Nov 25, 2021
KingEverest:

If it were the uefa tournament, would he have described it in the same way. He may not have meant to disrespect the afcon tournament but, human inate perception goes a long way in determining his choice of words in social interaction. That is why when interacting with people try to pay close attention to their choice of words and not just what they are trying to communicate, so you could have a better understanding of them.

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by paulolee(m): 11:39am On Nov 25, 2021
the most important thing is dt..he was asked n he explained dt he was misunderstood out of context....
to me, all country tournaments are little except the biggest n prestigious worldcup...
I see no bits of racism or disrespect in his words bcox we know hoe much he love black players...

12 Likes

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by thesicilian: 11:43am On Nov 25, 2021
It's indeed a little tournament
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by paulolee(m): 11:45am On Nov 25, 2021
KingEverest:
sure....dts their area of specialization...they are trained to put words into people mouths n watch u lose ur cool so dey can make headlines n sell more..
dts why i respect players like zlatan dt knows how best to answer them with clapbacks

32 Likes

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by KingEverest: 11:49am On Nov 25, 2021
paulolee:

sure....dts their area of specialization...they are trained to put words into people mouths n watch u lose ur cool so dey can make headlines n sell more..
dts why i respect players like zlatan dt knows how best to answer them with clapbacks
swears zlatan my ma grin

4 Likes

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by paulolee(m): 11:51am On Nov 25, 2021
robosky02:
Kloop will miss his men
swears....na him dt AFCON go affect pass....I hear world cup is late November, why dm no shift dis AFON till d end of the season na?
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by kenzysmith: 1:02pm On Nov 25, 2021
ifytrik:
una sef
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by BlackPantherxXx: 1:03pm On Nov 25, 2021
cool

1 Like

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Eagle360(m): 1:04pm On Nov 25, 2021
grin
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Fredlongs(m): 1:04pm On Nov 25, 2021
T
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by fourboys: 1:05pm On Nov 25, 2021
Afcon na small tournament na embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Kingcalls: 1:05pm On Nov 25, 2021
Just like we know copa America is a little tournament as well.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Guyman02: 1:05pm On Nov 25, 2021
He said he was misunderstood because he is not a native English speaker. Case closed!

7 Likes

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by abobote: 1:05pm On Nov 25, 2021
Klop really have problem with this AFCON tournament, coz he will be loosing key players, but he should stop taking it personal, as is not first time for the tournament. The reporter was right

1 Like

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by toyinjimoh(m): 1:05pm On Nov 25, 2021
Little tournament or no little tournament all African players must represent their countries

1 Like

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Lagosianswag: 1:05pm On Nov 25, 2021
I'm yet to figure out the "clash" in the write-up undecided

4 Likes

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Impregnable101: 1:05pm On Nov 25, 2021
Lol I believe what jurgen wanted to say was "brief tournament"

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Eagle360(m): 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2021
Before you comment or abuse Kloop watch the interview.
Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by Akwamkpuruamu: 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2021
Truth is bitter. Na little tournament. If u no like hit ur head for wall

3 Likes

Re: Klopp Clashes With Reporter After Calling AFCON ‘Little Tournament' by femi4: 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2021
He called it an irony...can he joke with Euro or copa America like that

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports / God Punished Mohamed Salah With Injury For Breaking His Fast – Islamic Preacher / FC Barcelona Appoints Ernesto Valverde As New Coach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.