Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences (28356 Views)

Look Closely, Your Business Might Be Lacking One Of These / SCAM ALERT My Bitter Ordeal With TUGROW Be Careful. / My Bitter Experience With Access Bank. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Oyiboman69: 4:23pm On Nov 28, 2021
moscobabs:

I feel like crying, u have passed through alot bro but pls don't see ursef as Failure. I see the Billionaire in you.

1 Like

Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by PlanBizNg: 4:25pm On Nov 28, 2021
Spherical77:
food production, you mean farming or what?
Anything the the food value chain.

Farming, eg vegetables (cocumber, okro, pepper, etc) or grains, eg (maize, rice, soybean, cowpea, etc)

Processing, eg rice production, cooking oil production, custard production, powdered milk production, flour production, etc
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:31pm On Nov 28, 2021
Tyres were impounded. SARS arrested you. Competitors reported you to a cultist to deal with you, agbero prevented you from making sales.
Yet our government called Nigeria a friendly environment for business. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by bepositive11: 4:38pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95:
Most Nigerians are of the opinion that Business is the answer to the ever raising number of unemployed youths. What most doesnt know is that business too has its own challenges and not for the faint hearted. I would be sharing some of my experiences trying to do business.

**First Experience**
Growing up I've always been a lover of business, I remember after my secondary education I was given two options of university education or business. I choose business without batting an eyelid. I think it was during the early days of Goodluck's tenure when ports were closed so most importations where from Cotonou Port and the goods smuggled into Nigeria.

I gathered small capital with the help of relatives and would go to Cotonou to get male jeans and resale in wholesale to my customers in Nigeria, I went on a trip at least once a week which gives me an average of 30k to 40k profit per week because my capital wasn't much. I started with 200k and within a little over a year I was counting in millions before my legendary village people gave me a call.

My logistics agent put my goods in a vehicle transporting second hand tyres, which was intercepted at Benin and everything got impounded. After spending so much for the release of the goods it was released several months later only for us to meet goods not up to 10% of what was originally seized. It was devastating and I came crashing down to square one. All attempts to gather another capital proved abortive.

Even though I'm quoting this, I've read through your other experiences

You are making one very big mistake. You have tried many businesses, but have you even thought about what your strengths and weaknesses are?

One thing I've noticed with successful business owners is that they build businesses that align with their strengths and they stay focused. They fail and learn and keep working on the same business idea until they finally succeed

Just something you should consider

True though, business is not for everyone. But those who have the right qualities can thrive
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Offpoint1: 4:44pm On Nov 28, 2021
Mine was trying to sell datagrin I ended up becoming the customer and friends did not helped the matter at all

2 Likes

Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Elsueno: 4:51pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95 you are too quick to give up & u move around waaay too much.....change business waaay too much...

find one business, get established in it, then use excess liquid in cash to move into another. During my first year in business, I was in over 50% deficit the first year, 30% in d second year grin
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Lamanii22(f): 5:04pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95:
** Fifth Experience**

By now I was legit scared of business that I had to abandon it and seek for admission into the university. If at that I didn't stop trying

I was home for a break in school so I looked for something to do to earn money for the main time. A friend of my mom was selling bar soaps then and according to my mom she was swimming in money though she didn't look it o. I met her and she told me how she was making millions by taking the soaps to other States to sell, she advised I went to pH since they had high purchasing power.
I used to hustle street trading in pH so I was familiar with the environs which was an advantage or so I thought. I did my calculations and was in high spirits as I was going to hammer this time.
I borrowed 100k from my dad, bought about cartoons of bar soap and set off to pH on a faithful Wednesday because I targeted oil mill Thursday market . I first dropped at obigbo junction and set my cartons of soap by a corner that the owner was absent and started screaming on top of my voice soliciting for customers...buy your original soap here, only 100 100 naira, e don dey finish oooo, eleme dey look bayelsa dey buy oo, after today no more ooo....I kept shouting....
I got some occasional glances by passerby's as they proceeded to their destinations, one hour turned to two hours yet no one has asked me whether na sample I sample abi na sell I dey sell. I got exhausted from my fruitless shouting and sat down, I realized it was getting dark so I called the number of the person I would pass the night in her place at mile 1....ghen ghen number no dey no reachable .... I shaa packaged my cartoons of soap and set off to mile 1, after all I came for oil mill so I'm sure I would sell all the next day.
Getting to mile 1 around past 8, every where was dark and deserted. I was scared so I had to proceed to mile 3 that was livelier. I packed my goods in one park and started looking for a place to pass the night, I went to a police station but they were questioning me like a criminal even after narrating my ordeal to them. I left and went the a church and the security turned me back that they only allow people to sleep in the church during vigils. I ended up sleeping in an uncompleted building in the state university.
The following morning I set off to oil mill market, I remember when I dropped a barrow pusher came to carry the goods to a place I would keep them but since I was running low on cash I asked him to help me place it on my head....haa oga this thing heavy o e go break your neck o, just give me 3h make I carry am for you.....he exclaimed, don't worry I'm fine I replied.
Five minutes later I was sweating like a Christmas goat with my neck now at 180 degrees, it was remaining just two poles to my destination when I gave up and dropped the bag. I called another barrow pusher and he quoted 250 naira.....chai see penny wise pound foolish, I barely had any strength left to haggle price so I agreed.
I found a corner outside the market and set my cartons of soap, I took one carton and went inside the market screaming on top of my voice as usual, three hours later and I had just sold only 5 bars of soap to make matters worst it started raining and my cartons of soap was in the open.
I ran like a mentally deranged man to where I kept my wares trying to save it from the rain, while I tried to carry the cartons to a shed some gave way throwing some of the soaps on the road with tricycles running over them. A barrow pusher came to my rescue and helped me save the rest.
After the rain subsided I went back into the market and started selling the soap at a 50% loss yet I was unable to finish one carton, while I was struggling to sell my kaya those agberos came with their wahalla and collected #300 from me, I went to a different section of the market to try my luck and 4 different agberos surrounded me with different tickets each not less than #200 . Oga abeg I never sell anything I tried to explain to them, come on give me my money joor one of them roared.
By now I was close to tears as they made away with my goods, heiya its unfair o, you people should pity this poor boy naa, see he's even crying, some market women pleaded on my behalf. They finally collected #500 from me.
I managed to sell two cartons just enough to get my transport back home and set off to the park. I was looking very dirty and unkept, at the park I bumped into a girl I was wooing when I was in ph, she kept staring at me probably trying to deduce if I was actually the person she was seeing. I kept a straight face and went to sit at the back of the bus away from other passengers glare.
At home I took the remaining goods to the woman I bought it from and sold it to her at over 60% loss and gave my dad the balance, though he complained but I carest not.

Even though I'm beginning to feel that business is not for me. I still want to try more.
I'm still broke and I've got more ideas though no capital but something keeps telling me I will get a breakthrough I business one day. I will still come back to testify here.

Feel free to share your own experiences doing business both the positive and negative ones.
Mods please push to front page so we can get wider views and contributions.

Awwwwww
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by InoGetJoy: 5:05pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95:
** Fifth Experience**
dkhbds.
Guy you dey write. You'll make a very very good writer, why don't you try in that direction?
Send me a DM, we could work something out

2 Likes

Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by ford101: 5:09pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95:
** Fifth Experience**

By now I was legit scared of business that I had to abandon it and seek for admission into the university. If at that I didn't stop trying

I was home for a break in school so I looked for something to do to earn money for the main time. A friend of my mom was selling bar soaps then and according to my mom she was swimming in money though she didn't look it o. I met her and she told me how she was making millions by taking the soaps to other States to sell, she advised I went to pH since they had high purchasing power.
I used to hustle street trading in pH so I was familiar with the environs which was an advantage or so I thought. I did my calculations and was in high spirits as I was going to hammer this time.
I borrowed 100k from my dad, bought about cartoons of bar soap and set off to pH on a faithful Wednesday because I targeted oil mill Thursday market . I first dropped at obigbo junction and set my cartons of soap by a corner that the owner was absent and started screaming on top of my voice soliciting for customers...buy your original soap here, only 100 100 naira, e don dey finish oooo, eleme dey look bayelsa dey buy oo, after today no more ooo....I kept shouting....
I got some occasional glances by passerby's as they proceeded to their destinations, one hour turned to two hours yet no one has asked me whether na sample I sample abi na sell I dey sell. I got exhausted from my fruitless shouting and sat down, I realized it was getting dark so I called the number of the person I would pass the night in her place at mile 1....ghen ghen number no dey no reachable .... I shaa packaged my cartoons of soap and set off to mile 1, after all I came for oil mill so I'm sure I would sell all the next day.
Getting to mile 1 around past 8, every where was dark and deserted. I was scared so I had to proceed to mile 3 that was livelier. I packed my goods in one park and started looking for a place to pass the night, I went to a police station but they were questioning me like a criminal even after narrating my ordeal to them. I left and went the a church and the security turned me back that they only allow people to sleep in the church during vigils. I ended up sleeping in an uncompleted building in the state university.
The following morning I set off to oil mill market, I remember when I dropped a barrow pusher came to carry the goods to a place I would keep them but since I was running low on cash I asked him to help me place it on my head....haa oga this thing heavy o e go break your neck o, just give me 3h make I carry am for you.....he exclaimed, don't worry I'm fine I replied.
Five minutes later I was sweating like a Christmas goat with my neck now at 180 degrees, it was remaining just two poles to my destination when I gave up and dropped the bag. I called another barrow pusher and he quoted 250 naira.....chai see penny wise pound foolish, I barely had any strength left to haggle price so I agreed.
I found a corner outside the market and set my cartons of soap, I took one carton and went inside the market screaming on top of my voice as usual, three hours later and I had just sold only 5 bars of soap to make matters worst it started raining and my cartons of soap was in the open.
I ran like a mentally deranged man to where I kept my wares trying to save it from the rain, while I tried to carry the cartons to a shed some gave way throwing some of the soaps on the road with tricycles running over them. A barrow pusher came to my rescue and helped me save the rest.
After the rain subsided I went back into the market and started selling the soap at a 50% loss yet I was unable to finish one carton, while I was struggling to sell my kaya those agberos came with their wahalla and collected #300 from me, I went to a different section of the market to try my luck and 4 different agberos surrounded me with different tickets each not less than #200 . Oga abeg I never sell anything I tried to explain to them, come on give me my money joor one of them roared.
By now I was close to tears as they made away with my goods, heiya its unfair o, you people should pity this poor boy naa, see he's even crying, some market women pleaded on my behalf. They finally collected #500 from me.
I managed to sell two cartons just enough to get my transport back home and set off to the park. I was looking very dirty and unkept, at the park I bumped into a girl I was wooing when I was in ph, she kept staring at me probably trying to deduce if I was actually the person she was seeing. I kept a straight face and went to sit at the back of the bus away from other passengers glare.
At home I took the remaining goods to the woman I bought it from and sold it to her at over 60% loss and gave my dad the balance, though he complained but I carest not.

Even though I'm beginning to feel that business is not for me. I still want to try more.
I'm still broke and I've got more ideas though no capital but something keeps telling me I will get a breakthrough I business one day. I will still come back to testify here.

Feel free to share your own experiences doing business both the positive and negative ones.
you failed because you lack wisdom.in business you have to survey the market 100% from A Z before you start.you should never start a business you can't finish why u map ur strategy.wen u are making profit always tell people around you that u are not making it.if the insist politely lie like that millionaire friend of ur mother did to you.location were people need ur stuff is key.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by RoyalBoutique(m): 5:17pm On Nov 28, 2021
ebookz:
Sorry about your loss. Most successful business people did not succeed in their first or second enterprise.

Or third or fourth or fifth
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Trustworthiness: 5:19pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95:
Most Nigerians are of the opinion that Business is the answer to the ever raising number of unemployed youths. What most doesnt know is that business too has its own challenges and not for the faint hearted. I would be sharing some of my experiences trying to do business.

**First Experience**
Growing up I've always been a lover of business, I remember after my secondary education I was given two options of university education or business. I choose business without batting an eyelid. I think it was during the early days of Goodluck's tenure when ports were closed so most importations where from Cotonou Port and the goods smuggled into Nigeria.

I gathered small capital with the help of relatives and would go to Cotonou to get male jeans and resale in wholesale to my customers in Nigeria, I went on a trip at least once a week which gives me an average of 30k to 40k profit per week because my capital wasn't much. I started with 200k and within a little over a year I was counting in millions before my legendary village people gave me a call.

My logistics agent put my goods in a vehicle transporting second hand tyres, which was intercepted at Benin and everything got impounded. After spending so much for the release of the goods it was released several months later only for us to meet goods not up to 10% of what was originally seized. It was devastating and I came crashing down to square one. All attempts to gather another capital proved abortive.

Hello op:

I will advise you go back to your Benin clothes trade if the opportunity of importation of such is still allowed. But this time, be wary of the logistics agents you use to transport your goods. Or better still get a bus or car of your own to transport the goods yourself

1 Like

Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by sulaak(m): 5:22pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95:
** Fifth Experience**

I think you should be in business, you have tried 5 times with limited success, I just read the first two of your experiences and I am satisfied that your resilience is more suited to entrepreneurship than employment. If you continue to put in the effort my advice for you is not to give up.

First, stop believing in superstitions, there is no mami water or spirits, that is in your head. Know your customers and market, whatever venture you start ensure that you have a ready market for your products.

1 Like

Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by sowilli: 5:22pm On Nov 28, 2021
Every business comes with its risks and lessons. You have been facing the same type of risks over and again because of the nature of business you are doing and you have not found a way around it. Business is for you obviously. If you are just patient enough, you will find the right business and find the right partners, keep pressing.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by sowilli: 5:24pm On Nov 28, 2021
sulaak:

I think you should be in business, you have tried 5 times with limited success, I just read the first two of your experiences and I am satisfied that your resilience is more suited to entrepreneurship than employment. If you continue to put in the effort my advice for you is not to give up.

First, stop believing in superstitions, there is no mami water or spirits, that is in your head. Know your customers and market, whatever venture you start ensure that you have a ready market for your products.
exactly bro. He has got what it takes. Only an entrepreneur can identify potential entrepreneur. I believe he needs the right partners also and he will scale.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by HBB1(m): 5:28pm On Nov 28, 2021
It took 10 years for Ali Baba to make a cent in profit.

I also hear Jumia has not made shishi in profit.

Just ensure you have other streams of income, or else...!

The start of a business is usually hard.

Most of them end up failing by the way.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by efonat(m): 5:43pm On Nov 28, 2021
Omo u sure say your village people no follow? Dont just jump into any bisiness because mr A is doing well in it. Seek Gods direction first before investing in anything at all. He will guide u. I love your doggedness and determination to succeed. U will get there. One more thing, this your story will sell, if u put it in a book together with your success story. To serve as upliftment to others coming behind. Just a piece of idea.
Onahi95:

**First Experience**

1 Like

Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Franzee(m): 5:44pm On Nov 28, 2021
guy your calling is business... I swear..
First your foundation is never strong from all what you said ... 100k capital... means your joking...
the only time you were succeeding is your first moves from cotonou...
secondly... meet a spiritualist or prayer man... I sense rising and falling... and it might lead you to depression... very important
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Emperor5(m): 6:08pm On Nov 28, 2021
There is secret in business. u need to learn the business before u venture, that is why those that do boy boy do better in business

1 Like

Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 28, 2021
Try the internet business....

It has its ups and downs...but it won't stress your life, Ever.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Curious345: 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95:

Thanks bro
business is only for anambra people.. It will be hard to break water in your case
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Curious345: 6:45pm On Nov 28, 2021
Franzee:
guy your calling is business... I swear..
First your foundation is never strong from all what you said ... 100k capital... means your joking...
the only time you were succeeding is your first moves from cotonou...
secondly... meet a spiritualist or prayer man... I sense rising and falling... and it might lead you to depression... very important

spiritualist?
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Nobody: 6:50pm On Nov 28, 2021
emonis88:

Na one of them be this! If u think trading is easy go into it na! Make inexperience help u finish ur money.

I was laughing at what he wrote.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by being(m): 7:01pm On Nov 28, 2021
I think the entrpeneurial thing is in u.
But what I've seen is lack of thorough knowledge of d business u are entering- knowing if there is good demand for your product & also proper risk management !
And so I was wondering why u didn't try & go back to the very first business which u knew d in and out very well.
Then u need to ask where can things fail and find what to do to prevent that happening or minimise losses if it does.

Lastly, for now u seem to be in I.T., I'd advise u focus on that for now b4 u think of venturing into business again. That will serve as a cushion in case things don't work well (part of risk mgt)
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Goldentulip2: 7:02pm On Nov 28, 2021
Keep pushing bro NEVER loose hope coz one day you will hit it big.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Zztt: 7:14pm On Nov 28, 2021
True
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by deenvibe(m): 7:14pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95:
** Fifth Experience**

Mr Op, are you really sure this is your story. Someone else have posted it before on this same platform. How do u want us to believe you
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by emonis88: 7:22pm On Nov 28, 2021
theForth:

I was laughing at what he wrote.
Na one of those small children that r on Nairaland showing their childishness, n inexperience.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Emmizee(m): 7:39pm On Nov 28, 2021
You've gone through alot but you can still be successful as an entrepreneur. There are some steps you need to follow to achieve Financial success as an entrepreneur.

Read here to find out; https://kkfact.com/how-to-be-financially-successful-as-a-young-entrepreneur/

** Fifth Experience**

Mods please push to front page so we can get wider views and contributions.[/quote]
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Cchuks27(m): 7:47pm On Nov 28, 2021
Onahi95:
** Fifth Experience**

Nice write up. Have you considered going into writing professionally? Like content work and academic? It is actually very lucrative. From your write up, one can easily tell you're intelligent but not in the right business field.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by olamoses75(m): 8:03pm On Nov 28, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

Na the problem with una be that. Una go dey compare unaself with people who had solid backgrounds. Elon Musk's family owned mines. His mother was a celebrity.
and he never failed? And who told you he was the reason why I go into business? I just used him as reference. And what about the other ones I mentioned, because na only Musk you talked about here, as if we didn’t know his history. Una go just dey run mouth.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by olamoses75(m): 8:05pm On Nov 28, 2021
calcal:

The guy is educated already to American standards.
lol. Na true o. If we’re to consider the true meaning of education. I think he’s more educated than most PhD holders.
Re: Business Might Not Be For Everyone. My Bitter Experiences by Treasure17(m): 8:06pm On Nov 28, 2021
Fiction or not. Have at least learnt one or two things from the comments. May the force be with me in 2022.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The US Will Not Reject Old Dollar Notes From January 2023 / Do We Have Any Self-Made Company In Nigeria That Can Be Bought For $40 Billion? / FCMB Depositors Lose Over N600m To Fraudulent Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.