Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) (149166 Views)

For Sale.....luxury Block Of 4flats @ Ikota Villa Lekki Before Vgc(pictures) / How We Built The "Luxury Block Of Flats" In Enugu / Luxury Block Of 6 Nos 3 Bedroom Flat "TO LET" @ IKEJA Gra,lagos with pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (56) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 10, 2011
In with both legs
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by hasyak(m): 3:43pm On Jun 10, 2011
present smiley
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by alabashop(m): 4:31pm On Jun 10, 2011
am loving this thread and section and would love to be of service to everyone ! i sell electrical products at the Alaba int'l mkt and i can provide competitive prices for all electric products to be used in construction : Nigerian wires and cables,pvc pipes and boxes ,sockets and switches and all other lighting fixtures ,etc etc !

Mr Okenna Peter
cityelectrik@gmail.com
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by cooljade(f): 4:56pm On Jun 10, 2011
Very Interesting, I'm loving this. Plan to start my project in Abuja this year by God's grace. I would probably do the same in educating nairalanders and probably getting the best possible deals from merchants here.

so far i have installed a bore hole (550k in 2009), fenced the land and moulded approximately 10,000 blocks. 5000 of which are stone based to be used for the ground floor.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Fhemmmy: 5:55pm On Jun 10, 2011
brabus:

Hello All, one thing I'll be doing on this thread is to modify my posts wherever needed so that we can keep the thread clean.

@sunnyjz, I'll mail you later. I'll be setting off to site early today.

@caseymoney, I know smartdraw, visio and all others but  I use ConceptDraw for Mac.

@Sagewood, pls check the Land information above. 55 x 120ft (I'll always keep it updated as soon as real things get started). We are building 3 flats. see the floor plan attached.

@Fhemmy - I'm all out for you today. You love pics, you get some nice ones from the neighbourhood.

@love-tosin, thanks for the opportunity you afforded me.

Great and thanks . . . I love pix, cos i understand it better than all the reading . . . . Looking forward to the pix
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by ibrokay(m): 7:36pm On Jun 10, 2011
I hope this will be a good thread just like the previous one.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Select(m): 8:35pm On Jun 10, 2011
brabus:

Project Location: Beachland Estate, Arepo, Ogun State
Reason: Proximity to Lagos (5 minutes drive to Berger, 10 minutes to Magodo, 20 minutes to Allen, Ikeja, 30 minutes to Ikoyi Club, 40 minutes to VI, 40 minutes to Murtala Muhammed Airport)
Land Cost: [/b]N7.5m (excluding Agency fee, Omo-onile, and miscellanous)
[b]Land Size
: 55 x 120ft

Does the land worth the price? Maybe - I'll post more picture of the neighbourhood later tmrw.

[b]LAND INFORMATION
[/b]Flat Topography
Fenced with gate
Title: Survey, C of O (almost ready)
In a gated community

@sunnyjz, I'll update the floor plan later as soon as its ready. Inbox me for the cost of the plan.

@ All,
This is a nice one and worth monitoring.
U can get in touch for the processing of ur Building Plan Approvals within Lagos and Ogun States. I work as a Town Planning Officer in one of the Lagos State District Offices. U cannot get me on phone at the moment(as I am not in town). But pls mail me via- select500@yahoo.com and I will get back to you immediately.
Cheers!
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:38pm On Jun 10, 2011
Thank you all. Today has been a very tough day, I've been very busy doing the documentations, so nothing much is happening. But lest I forget, here is my neighbourhood - at least to prepare your mind for what is about to happen.

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 10:51pm On Jun 10, 2011
Thank you for all the responses so far. Work should commence on the site by Monday 13th June after we have tidy up all the loose ends. But meanwhile, I'm working out the Construction Schedules and Timeline with my client and subcontractors based on available resources.

Lesson 1
Make changes on paper. Once you start building, it becomes exponentially more expensive (not to mention time-consuming) to make changes. The best time to make a change is when you’re still working off of the plans. While every job has some changes, your project will get built faster and with fewer errors if you make changes before the walls go up.

Why Construction Schedule? You may want to ask

Staying on schedule will save us money. Lots and lots of money!

How?

Having a written goal to shoot for, not some vague idea of when things should be done will help us get closer to our goals than just hoping for things. Also, the schedule will let us know when to order what supplies, and this will help us save because it means we'd have materials onsite when we need them, thus no time delays; unused materials are on site for shorter periods of time, thus less damage and theft.

This thread will continue to be an interesting one like the previous thread as it will dwell most on smart steps to build a luxury house without breaking bank.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Sagewood: 5:35am On Jun 11, 2011
@ All,
U can get in touch for the processing of your Building Plan Approvals within Lagos and Ogun States. I work as a Town Planning Officer in one of the Lagos State District Offices. U cannot get me on phone at the moment(as I am not in town). But pls mail me via- select500@yahoo.com and I will get back to you immediately.
Cheers!
[quote][/quote]

@ Select,

I just sent you an email.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:01am On Jun 11, 2011
Thanks Seun and Lawyer (the moderator) for bringing this to the front page. I would like to use this opportunity to thank you for adding the "Like" button to threads and posts on Nairaland. I would also like to suggest that you look at the layout. We should be able to see bookmarked, related and new thread at a glance on any page. I suggest you reduce the size of the space for posts and do a 2 or 3-column page (facebook style) so that you can accomodate all this new features.
I'm a design consultant so I can tell when a design is boring. But all the same, I must thank you for the opportunity you afforded Nigerians.

Great job.

More update about the design and the client.

Having spent the last 4 weeks consulting with my client, the final draft and design of this project is now complete. My client had been watching the progress of all the houses showcased in the previous thread “The Real Cost of Building a Six Bedroom Duplex” and really want something different, so the design and concept you'll find here could be considered to be a hybrid design.
Today, I will pass on all of the architectural plan drawing to structural engineer. I should have drawings back by the end of next week and break ground on Saturday 18th. The target completion date is June 2012.

I'll also be spending the better part of my time today with on the site with my bricklayer and site engineer to see how we can convert an existing foundation on the site for our benefit. Later today, once I gain time, I'll send the site plan for discussion and deliberation.

Select:

@ All,
U can get in touch for the processing of your Building Plan Approvals within Lagos and Ogun States. I work as a Town Planning Officer in one of the Lagos State District Offices. U cannot get me on phone at the moment(as I am not in town). But pls mail me via- select500@yahoo.com and I will get back to you immediately.
Cheers!

@Select, I'm presently working on two projects in Lagos. I'll mail you as soon as the drawings are ready. Ogun state happens to be my jurisdiction, I dont have issues getting things sorted out in time.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by diordaves(m): 11:29am On Jun 11, 2011
brabus:

Thank you for all the responses so far. Work should commence on the site by Monday 13th June after we have tidy up all the loose ends. But meanwhile, I'm working out the Construction Schedules and Timeline with my client and subcontractors based on available resources.

Lesson 1
Make changes on paper. Once you start building, it becomes exponentially more expensive (not to mention time-consuming) to make changes. The best time to make a change is when you’re still working off of the plans. While every job has some changes, your project will get built faster and with fewer errors if you make changes before the walls go up.

Why Construction Schedule? You may want to ask

Staying on schedule will save us money. Lots and lots of money!

How?

Having a written goal to shoot for, not some vague idea of when things should be done will help us get closer to our goals than just hoping for things. Also, the schedule will let us know when to order what supplies, and this will help us save because it means we'd have materials onsite when we need them, thus no time delays; unused materials are on site for shorter periods of time, thus less damage and theft.

This thread will continue to be an interesting one like the previous thread as it will dwell most on smart steps to build a luxury house without breaking bank.

Yet another bold move. Well done. To start the ball rolling, I've got a couple of questions:

# What are your core focus (objectives) in delivering this obviously grand project: SPEED, COST or QUALITY? This is imperative, so that when we critique and appraise your effort we do so informatively and objectively and not blindly as previously experienced.

# You said the project is in Beachland Estate and land cost is 7.5m excluding Omonile. My question is when you buy into an estate, do you still deal with omonile or the vendors of the estate are expected to smoothen out all hicups with omoniles. Stay blessed.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 7:04pm On Jun 11, 2011
diordaves:

Yet another bold move. Well done. To start the ball rolling, I've got a couple of questions:

# What are your core focus (objectives) in delivering this obviously grand project: SPEED, COST or QUALITY? This is imperative, so that when we critique and appraise your effort we do so informatively and objectively and not blindly as previously experienced.

# You said the project is in Beachland Estate and land cost is 7.5m excluding Omonile. My question is when you buy into an estate, do you still deal with omonile or the vendors of the estate are expected to smoothen out all hicups with omoniles. Stay blessed.

Thanks Diordaves,

Cutting corners is a common practice in Nigeria, with developers and builders keen to reduce construction costs, often at the expense of the structural integrity of the building.  It is often in the places that can not be seen that these corners are cut, but invariably, these are the worst possible places to try to save on a few Naira such as with the foundations.  We are ensuring that at every stage of the build we are using only the best quality materials and also that we are adhering to the highest possible international construction standards.

Is it SPEED or COST? Nah  shocked

But QUALITY and STRICT ADHERENCE to highest possible construction standards is our core focus.  I hope that through this a lot of people will gain an understanding of the construction process and may find it useful when planning their own building projects.

As a foreigner, you often find things are not done quite the way that you are used to, and buying land is no exception.  Different things applies to different location. The greedy nature and attitude of some real estate agents makes me tag them "Omo-Onile". The land was bought from someone who's selling off within the estate, as a result it was not really estate vendor affair.

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 7:19pm On Jun 11, 2011
@ Oga brabus, any more works going on in the site now?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 7:48pm On Jun 11, 2011
We are still tidying up documents on land transfer and registration. N7.5m, no be small money o. We have to bring in all the Alfas, Pastors, Babalawos, Police, Army, Lawyers into the matter.

But anyway, here is an outline of how I expect us to proceed from now and since we don't have any other regulatory issues remaining we should now be on track.

Tomorrow 12th June - Site Clearing/Preparation for foundation laying.
The week of June 13th - we will finish the land transfer and registration. Once this process is complete we will move to the site and work will start with purchase of materials, surveying the plots to create room for excavation.
By the week of June 25th - you will be able to see some major work going on at the site.

Thanks
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 7:06am On Jun 12, 2011
>>>Off to site. Early to bed, early to rise.

Pic updates to follow soon from the site.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by keba(m): 10:24am On Jun 12, 2011
Wow Brabus, this is great. Was going through this post then told a colleague of mine who resides in Lagos before he called you asking about availability of property in the area. Would have spoken with you but he ran out of credit. I will contact you soonest and will definitely follow up this project, kudos,
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2011
Site Clearing
Picture Updates

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by george31(m): 6:23pm On Jun 12, 2011
Love dis thread,My company has just began to develop a similar project like dis around agungi,lekki,
kudos to u @brabus, watch out for me cuz al be on ur tail.

1 Like

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 6:27pm On Jun 12, 2011
More pic,

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 6:45pm On Jun 12, 2011
and more,

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 6:52pm On Jun 12, 2011
keba:

Wow Brabus, this is great. Was going through this post then told a colleague of mine who resides in Lagos before he called you asking about availability of property in the area. Would have spoken with you but he ran out of credit. I will contact you soonest and will definitely follow up this project, kudos,

Keba, thanks for the credit. I'll mail you as soon as I gain information from my contacts. There are still more properties within the area but let's keep it off the thread. I'll mail shortly.

@george31, I'm watching
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 10:00pm On Jun 12, 2011
Today, the site has been cleared and cleaned…. it is nice to have a clean environment to work, rather than the bushy and unkept compound that we had before! In the next few days, I'll be taking delivery of materials for the foundation work which will be done hopefully and God-willing on Saturday.

Stay tuned.

Suppliers needed around Arepo, please quote for the following materials.

1. 30 ton Granite
2. 30 ton Granite Dust
3. 20 ton Sharp Sand
4. 20 ton filling sand
5. 1 ton 12mm iron rod
6. 1 ton 16mm iron rod

Please send your quotation to nexthome@live.com - Only supplier within Arepo, Ibafo, Magboro, Mowe axis only.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 12:40am On Jun 13, 2011
NextHome’s design process varies greatly with the conventional norm for home builders.

Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 8:19am On Jun 13, 2011
Good morning. Yesterday, the site was cleared, ready for the excavation. This will not be started until we have taken full delivery of materials for the foundation. Expect more progress updates after 16th June!

Before then, we will be doing the following:
1. Taking delivery of materials to the site
2. Breaking/removal of existing foundation. (We can get 10 (16mm) beam reinforcement from the existing foundation)
3. Preparing the steel beam reinforcement structures (Iron Bender). Ready for installation over the coming days.
4. Setting Out/Breaking Ground
5. Building a temporary structure as site office/store

Pic updates to follow as we progress.

Plan Your Work. Work Your Plan
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:41am On Jun 13, 2011
Still learning, just a question, is there any reason why you want to wait till the materials are complete before starting the setting out/breaking the ground since this normally takes up to 2-3 days?
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 9:54am On Jun 13, 2011
spyder880:

Still learning, just a question, is there any reason why you want to wait till the materials are complete before starting the setting out/breaking the ground since this normally takes up to 2-3 days?

Just to be rest assured that our plan will fly as pre-planned. Why break grounds when the materials are not on site? Suppliers may fail and thus projects delay starts. I dont like keeping my guys waiting endlessly, I always want at least 50% of my materials ready before committing to a task.

If we shift the date by a day or two is not too bad than keeping yr artisan waiting endlessly for materials. Instead of setting out, I'd rather commit to doing the relatively easy tasks like the foundation pillars and mat, water, and some others mentioned above.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:57am On Jun 13, 2011
brabus:

Just to be rest assured that our plan will fly as pre-planned. Why break grounds when the materials are not on site? Suppliers may fail and thus projects delay starts. I dont like keeping my guys waiting endlessly, I always want at least 50% of my materials ready before committing to a task.

Okay thanks.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by george31(m): 10:35am On Jun 13, 2011
hi @brabus, nice week ahead, hp u've got a reliable supervisor on site,except u're gonna be on site 24/7 which is almost impossible.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by manlulu: 11:04am On Jun 13, 2011
This is quite an interesting and educative thread! Thanks brabus for this insigthful day-to-day account. Kudos also to Spyder880, i've being a regular and ardent follower of ur sponsored link. Spiceful contributions/criticisms from the likes of AmAlone, brabus etc has also been very helpful. You guys are the bomb!!! I'm loving this piece, "Properties" embarassed.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by Pukkah: 12:24pm On Jun 13, 2011
Just asking, is the onset of the raining season the best time to commence construction of a building? And how does this affect construction timelines and conservation of materials?

This is a commendable effort anyway. Kudos.
Re: Building A Luxury Block Of Flats: Day-to-day Updates (with pictures) by brabus(m): 2:09pm On Jun 13, 2011
Pukkah:

Just asking, is the onset of the raining season the best time to commence construction of a building? And how does this affect construction timelines and conservation of materials?

This is a commendable effort anyway.  Kudos.

Usually, a rainy day mean a lost working day to building projects. Planning ahead will ensure that project construction is executed without unexpected costs or delays.

Well-planned projects cost less than projects that are implemented in a crisis situation, so get ready before the rain is forecasted and be prepared. Do the following:

1. Get timely collection of meteorological information!
2. Get adequate materials or supplies on site. It will do absolutely no good to merely have materials ordered when the rainstorm comes.

Although, there are times when you may need to shift goalpost. Anything is possible if you do it right!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (56) (Reply)

Call Us For Ur Granite(directly From The Quarry),sharpsand & Sandfilling / You Won't Believe The Babe I Saw In A Face Me I Face You House : / Cost Analysis Of Roofing My 3 Bedrooms Flat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.