Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,853 members, 7,802,736 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (52992 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (90) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 3:37pm On Nov 28, 2021
A lot of debates or arguments have been going on mainly between(igbos and ijaws) about the identity of Bonny and Opobo people. So much that lots of indigenes are confused about their own identity. The reason for this is not far fetched. The igbo language is an indigenous language in both places and while most inhabitants bear English names, some bear ijaw names and few still retain their igbo names. A large portion of videos which could be found on YouTube also portrays a largely igbo heritage till date.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q22f9HXmw7Y

However, I will try to be as neutral as possible while I implore you to be a little objective as we embark on this historical fact check.
Most of the arguments in my opinion have been nothing more than mere conjectures. For instance, ijaw people claim the igbo language spoken in both places is foreign or creolized version while trying to force inhabitants to start learning an entirely new language different from their mother tongue. There are also claims that igbo language was the language of igbo slaves the ijaws were trading. It is surprising how this eventually became an indigenous language making it the first of such incidence on the Gulf of Guinea. Even Calabar another important slave port nearby didn't experience such.

We have also seen both igbos and ijaws trying to make their own interpretations of what they think must have happened and as such both groups twist words to have meanings according to their respective language.
For example:
Ndoki-ndoki/aminadokiari
Ibani-Ubani//Obani/Igbani/Ebane
Ama-Ama
Amanyanabo-Ama onye nabo(Ama-anyi-nabo in Ndoki dialect)/Ama-nya-nabo (igbo for he who ties up another, like master tying up slave).
It might interest you to know that the title Amanyanabo use by ijaws originated from Bonny. The igbo interpretation means, “The town/community of 2 kings/persons”.
Bonny traditionally had 2 kings as documented by Captain Hugh and he was friends with both men who held him in high esteem.
King Pepple and King Holiday were both kings that reigned in Bonny at the same time.

To understand the reality of who Bonny and Opobo people are I would be rellying on the Memoirs of Captain Hugh Crow of Liverpool(1765-1829) and I implore any true son of Bonny or Opobo to consult this book or any other one written before it to really find out their identity. If you do not have much time, you can read from chapter 10, however reading the whole book gives a huge insight into slave trade era. It is important to note that while the author confirmed Eboes/igbos as natives of Bonny, there was no mention or acknowledgement of ijaws. But I am using my discretion to assume that the ijaws were the Brass people as the author asserts that they came from the Brass country which is located North West of Bonny.

Impotant dates:
Captain Hugh Crow of Liverpool(1765-1829)
King Jaja of Opobo 1821-1891
Technically King Jaja was born 12 years after slave trade was abolished.
Slave trade was abolished in 1809 by Sir Wilberforce.
King Jaja of Opobo founded Opobo in 1870.

Apart from being a popular slave merchant, Captain Crow(a.k.a Play man) was very popular with Kings and Natives of Bonny. He was so popular that he was invited to crown one of the Kings of Bonny at a time and he was regularly invited to help resolve palaver in the kingdom. He was captain of the last ship that left Bonny with slaves after slavery was abolished.

The author's memoir is insightful for many reasons:
It rendered a vivid first person account of what trans Atlantic slave trade looks like. In his assertions, slaves taken off the West African coast to America were better off than their countrymen left behind in Africa. During the period in review, whites were also slaves and most Britons including the author became prisoners of the French.

The author asserts that:
Bonny people are chiefly a mix of Eboe/Igbo and Brass/ijaw people.
He described/mentioned the igbo country in the hinterland and the brass country lying north-west of Bonny.
However, most of the details of daily living amongst the natives was more in tune with igbo lifestyle.
He talked about igbo native doctors he referred to as dibia and the enormous influence they wield in justice and health administration, even the kings respect them. He also described details of igbo marriage customs and funneral as observed in Bonny.
He talked about the use of elephant during the commemoration of King Pepple's father 10 years after the father's death. He mention the value of elephant tusk.
Contrary to conjectures that the name Pepple was European's attempt at pronouncing Perekule, the author asserts that Bonny people derived joy in bearing english names as he himself was responsible for crowning a King who he named after an English prince. An incident that excited the populace. He confirms that both King Pepple and King Holiday were igbos.
He described in detail the physique, including complexion and character of different tribes eboes, brass, appas, quaws and ottams. No mention of Ijaw in his record.

The author described one Chief Fubara who was an acquaintance of King Pepple. He asserts that Chief Fubara was not an indigene of Bonny but a stranger who migrated from his country during a crisis with a false claim that he was a warrior in his native country.

The author proved that ijaws were not selling igbo slaves as claimed in some quarters. According to him, everyone/every tribe was sold as slave. He described instances where some igbo chiefs set people up with their beautiful young wives and victims eventually pay a fine or become slaves. He explained the reason why more igbo slaves were sold. They were more relatable to Europeans than most other tribes.

Captain Hugh is credited with one of the earliest attempt to create an Eboe/igbo dictionary.
The author asserts that Opobo is an Igbo name for male children.
He also said that natives are often marked according to their origin and that Bonny natives often have short cupped perpendicular markings on both sides of their temple(this is consistent with the igbo tribal mark).

He confirmed the existence of Cannibalism, that Andoni was considered a dangerous place to venture, the fact that Calabar people eat dog meat,the fact that he planted coconut trees on one of the islands, the influence of Benin empire, that some Brass people were usually employed to make salt during dry season under the Benin empire amongst other things.

I was planning to post pages from his write up to buttress some points, unfortunately i cannot do so on this forum as it seems to permit posting only few images at a time. But i will post some.

CONCLUSION

Bonny people are a mix of Eboe/Igbo and Brass people in origin. This document however asserts a more igbo origin or dominance as most of Crow's history of the ancient kingdom was about igbos(The word Brass appeared 14 times in the history of Bonny, while the word Eboe appeared 48 times). This perhaps explains the existence of the indigenous igbos there and the presence of igbo masquerades like nwaotam. However, Opobo is a more recently founded city state by King Jaja who established his sole ownership authority and set up the kingdom with friends who accompanied him from Bonny. While Ebane/Igbanni/Ubani/Obani is the igbo dialect spoken in these locations. The same dialect that was used to write the first igbo bible commissioned by King Pepple. Shalom

P.S: I am being challenged to prove that Brass people are Ijaw people, so I must state once more that this was an assumption on my part and it remains to be proven or disputed.

Current literatures been submitted seems to indicate that the Brass were indeed a different people from the ijaws as they are known today.

FINALLY
A new literature referenced to another European by name Baike(who arrived Bonny about 50 years later than Crow) has just been posted on page 34 of this thread.

Baike EXPLICITLY stated that Bonny people told him they were of igbo descent. They called themselves Ebanne, that is where the name Bonny came from. Other igbos called them Obani/Ubani, while Kalabari(New Calabar) people called them Ibane.

Dear Ladies and gentlemen, when I started this thread I was shocked by the findings I had already made but I am more shocked and bewildered by the supporting literature this thread has provided from various contributors.

Proud sons and daughters of Grand-Bonny and Ancient Kingdom of Opobo, l congratulate you on finding your true Ebane roots of the ancient Ndoki subgroup and connecting with a future away from mere conjectures and fictions.
The original Pepples, Madu, Ani, Kamalu, Ashimini, Uranta,Nkemeku, Ogolo, Jaja, Ikeokwuadighm, Oko Jumbo, Alali etc Let real history guide you at all times, away from myths and conjectures.

I hope with this, most people would start giving their children more native names and teach them to speak their language to stem the growing tide of identity crises.

This write up however understands that there are parts of this islands or local government areas today that bears different Identities as presently constituted.

Alas, it is my wish and desire that this write-up would put the various departments of history in our Universities to task concerning this discourse.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2021
The bomb is here!

Thread Catalogue (by pages) :
1 - Introduction of subject matter
- Map of the Delta 1800
- Image of Okonko mask in Opobo 1913
- Description of Quaws, Appas
- Image of language revisionism in Bonny
- Image of Pepple being of Igbo descent
- Image of Bonny being of Igbo descent
- Description of Mgburu Ichi

4 - Breakdown of the tribal name Wakrike

To be continued.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Zooposki(f): 3:48pm On Nov 28, 2021
Who are the quaws, ottams and Appas today?

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 4:05pm On Nov 28, 2021
Apologies for my typos. As a student of history, I am open to fact based criticisms and not hearsay. From my calculations, this is about Two hundred and twenty-one years old (221 years) history!!! I look forward to getting contradictions from the same period or beyond.

Considering that most people cannot trace their origin beyond their great grandfather or great great grandfather at most, then you would appreciate how reliable this piece of history is.

Considering how familiar sailors are with maps, find attached the following:

1. A map of the delta according to the publishers in the 1800s(the second one is from a different source).

2. Another later map

3. List of Bonny Kings according to Major Glynn Leonard around 1899-6.

4. Play of late Chief Ogolo of Opobo - men dressed in ritual costumes((Okonko Mask) " photographed by Arthur Tremearne, c. 1913. MAA Cambridge.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ekesol: 4:06pm On Nov 28, 2021
9Pluto:
A lot of debates or arguments have been going on mainly between(igbos and ijaws) about the identity of Bonny and Opobo people. So much that lots of indigenes are confused about their own identity. However, I will try to be as neutral as possible while I implore you to be a little objective as we embark on this historical fact check.
Most of the arguments in my opinion has been nothing more than mere conjectures. For instance, ijaw people claim the igbo language spoke in both places is foreign while tying to force inhabitants to start learning an entirely new language different from what they learnt at home.
We have seen both igbos and ijaws trying to make their own interpretations of what they think must have happened and as such both of them twist words to have meanings in their their own language.
For example:
Ndoki-ndoki/aminadokiari
Ibani-ubani/ibani/igbani
Amanyanabo-Ama onye nabo/
It might interest you to know that the title Amanyanabo use by ijaws originated from Bonny. The igbo interpretation means, “The town/community of 2 kings/persons”.
Bonny traditionally had 2 kings as documented by Captain Hugh and he was friends with both men who held him in high esteem.
King Pepple and King Holiday were both kings that reigned in Bonny at the same time.

To understand the reality of who Bonny and Opobo people are I would be rellying on the Memoirs of Captain Hugh Crow of Liverpool(1765-1829) and I implore any true son of Bonny or Opobo to consult this book or any other one written before it to really find out their identity. If you do not much time you can read from chapter 10, however reading the whole book gives a huge insight into slavery. It is important to note that while the author confirmed Eboes/igbos as natives of Bonny, there was no mention or acknowledgement of ijaws. But I am using my discretion to assume that the ijaws were the Brass people as the author asserts that the came from the Brass country which is located North West of Bonny.

Impotant dates:
Captain Hugh Crow of Liverpool(1765-1829)
King Jaja of Opobo 1821-1891
Technically King Jaja was born 12 years after slave trade was abolished.
Slave trade was abolished in 1809 by Sir Wilberforce.
Apart from being a popular slave merchant,Captain Crow(a.k.a Play man) was very popular with Kings and Natives of Bonny. He was so popular that he was invited to crown on of the Kings of Bonny at a time and he was regularly invited to help resolve palaver in the kingdom. He was captain of the last ship that left Bonny with slaves after slavery was abolished.

The authors memoir is insightful for many reasons:
It rendered a vivid account of what trans Atlantic slave trade looks like. In his assertions, slave taking from the west African coast to America were better off than their countrymen. During the period in review, whites were also slaves and most Britons became prisoners of the French.

The author asserts that:
Bonny people are chiefly a mix of Eboe/Igbo and Brass/ijaw people.
He described/mentioned the igbo country in the hinterland and the brass country lying north-west of Bonny.
However, most of the details of daily living amongst the natives was more in tune with igbo lifestyle.
He talked about igbo native doctors know as dibia and the enormous influence they wield in justice and health administration, even the kings respect them.
He talked about the use of elephant during the commemoration of King Pepple's father 10 years after the father's death. He mention the value of elephant tusk.
Contrary to conjectures that Pepple was Europeans attempt at pronouncing Perekule, the author asserts that Bonny people derived joy in been given english names as he himself was responsible for crowning a King who he named after an English prince. He confirms that both King Pepple and King Holiday were igbos.
He described in detail the physic, including completion and character of different tribes eboes, brass, appas, quaws, ottams etc

The author described one Chief Fubara who was an acquaintance of King Pepple. He asserts that Chief Fubara was not an indigene of Bonny but a stranger who migrated from Brass country during a crisis with a false claim that he was a warrior in his native Brass.

The author proved that ijaws were not selling igbo slaves as claimed in some quarters. According to him, everyone/every tribe was sold as slave. He described instances where some igbo chiefs set people up with their young beautiful wife and victims eventually pay a fine or become slaves. He explained the reason why more igbo slaves were sold. They relatable to Europeans than most other tribes.

Captain Hugh is credited with one of the earliest attempt to create an Eboe/igbo dictionary.
The author assets that Opobo is an Igbo name for male children.
He assert that natives are often marked according to their origin and that Bonny natives often have short cupped perpendicular markings on their temple.

He confirmed the existence of Cannibalism, that Andoni was considered a dangerous place to venture, the fact that Calabar people eat dog meat, the influence of Benin empire, that some Brass people were employed to make salt during dry season under the Benin empire amongst other things.

I was planning to post pages from his write up to buttress some points, unfortunately i cannot do so on this forum as it seems to permit posting only few images at a time. But i will post some.

CONCLUSION

Bonny and Opobo people are a mix of Igbo and Ijaw in origin. This document however asserts a more igbo origin or dorminance and this perhaps explains the existence of the igbo language spoken there and the existence of igbo masqurades like nwaotam. Shalom

Don't mind 2km ijaw people with their landgrabbing mentality.
Ijaws are later immigrants to the east of Niger from Ghana na coastal areas.
Opobo and Borrny are igbos
Even jaja was not born where igbos inhabited bornny
I see no reason their claim that jaja brought igbos.
Rubbish ijaws always landgrabbing.
Same way they wanted to claim Portharcourt.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 4:10pm On Nov 28, 2021
I just read the material. I laughed long and cheerfully on reading one description of the Igbos by the captain.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 4:13pm On Nov 28, 2021
Zooposki:
Who are the quaws, ottams and Appas today?

A calculated guess.

Quaws, generally Ibibiod peoples Andoni etc
Ottams, some Igbo of hinterland.
Appas, Efik people.

Ekealterego come and epp me cheesy

12 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ThEGodFaThEr103(m): 4:18pm On Nov 28, 2021
This is it! The land grabbing kai kai and Ogogoro malnourished Ijaw pipeline vandals from malaria carrying mosquito infested creeks in Gbaramatu lies have been intellectually busted once more.
With this piece of information,The whole world now knows that Bonny and Opobo belong to the Igbos and Igbos alone.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by oyatz(m): 4:25pm On Nov 28, 2021
All these aren't necessary if we understand two important facts;

1) Ethnic Identities are self-indentities.

2) Ethnic Identities , though relatively stable are nevertheless dynamic and may change over a long period of time.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Pass11: 4:25pm On Nov 28, 2021
Anybody with good history know this, ijaw people started the lies that king jaja is an ijaw man but we destroyed that claim with proof,they started that king jaja was ijaw salve that was letter made king in ijaw land but we destroyed that claim with proof,
They shift the goal post that king met people on ground before he became king but we destroyed that claim with proof.
They claim that opobo is part of Inc and ijaw youth council so opobo belong to them but we destroyed that claim with proof of ijaw nation constitution that state that anybody can belong to ijaw national council as long as 100 hungry people from that area come together cheesy
Now their claim is telling us to claim it physically which we will soon do grin plan is on ground to do that physically soon.

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by dchem(m): 4:25pm On Nov 28, 2021
This people are racist to a fault. Imagine that one saying if Igbo women were white they would be regarded as beautiful in Europe.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Pass11: 4:27pm On Nov 28, 2021
What will hit all these useless bayelsa boys will be child play to what Yoruba did to them in ondo .

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 4:50pm On Nov 28, 2021
oyatz:
All these aren't necessary if we understand two important facts;

1) Ethnic Identities are self-indentities.

2) Ethnic Identities , though relatively stable are nevertheless dynamic and may change over a long period of time.

I disagree that learning history is not necessary. It is easy to say this until you come from a place where you are asked to drop your ancestral language and pickup a new local language. Here for instance is a recent attempt at revisionism in these locations and why it may be necessary to take a historical look.

14 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 5:24pm On Nov 28, 2021
By the way, the BRECHEs are the MGBURU-ICHIs. They are a class of titled Igbos, usually from the Nri sphere of influence.

They had elaborate facial scarifications. Olaudah Equiano's father was an MGBURU-ICHI, and they were highly respected around this period.

Usually, when Igbo towns were at war, it was the MGBURU-ICHIs that mediated and made peace in those towns.

Eze Nri was the head of the MGBURU-ICHIs all over Igboland and Igodomigodo and elsewhere

cc:
9Pluto
Igboid
Slayerforever
Eastlink

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 5:47pm On Nov 28, 2021
OfoIgbo:
By the way, the BRECHEs are the MGBURU-ICHIs. They are a class of titled Igbos, usually from the Nri sphere of influence.

They had elaborate facial scarifications. Olaudah Equiano's father was an MGBURU-ICHI, and they were highly respected around this period.

Usually, when Igbo towns were at war, it was the MGBURU-ICHIs that mediated and made peace in those towns.

Eze Nri was the head of the MGBURU-ICHIs all over Igboland and Igodomigodo and elsewhere

cc:
9Pluto
Igboid
Slayerforever
Eastlink

Thanks for shedding more light. I could not really identify who they are/were. However, your comment is consistent with the author's assertions that the Breeches were igbos too.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by BKayy: 5:47pm On Nov 28, 2021
9Pluto, please for historical accuracy, I think you should correct that superimposition of the name "Ijaw" on "Brass" in the writeup because like Abua, Brass is not actually Ijaw but were the first to key into the post Eastern region anti-Igbo, political means of identification courtesy of Alagoa who is a native of Brass.
One can't tell if they will last long in the Ijaw umbrella especially now that every former member of the group are pulling out or making their identity obvious in any way they can like Boma of BBNaija exposing his people's (Okrika) view/identity in the porn show.

So, try and correct it let's know what we are working on.
Just use Brass as it should be.
Thank you

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by BKayy: 5:50pm On Nov 28, 2021
dchem:
This people are racist to a fault. Imagine that one saying if Igbo women were white they would be regarded as beautiful in Europe.
Imagine, even Racists couldn't resist the beauty of Igbo women.
No be today Igbo women started putting men into trouble, that's why today in Nigeria every thing with penis wants to kill himself on Igbo women's matter.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 5:56pm On Nov 28, 2021
SlayerForever:

A calculated guess.

Appas, Efik people.

Rev. John Clarke did a lot of work mapping the languages and people to the maps in that area. H collected multiple samples of the dialects in 1848.
This is Ottam described and the samples from different districts within Otam. From the samples of the Language, Otam is definitely Ibos that are close to anywhere around cross rivers or Akwa-ibom.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2021
Ekealterego:

Rev. John Clarke did a lot of work mapping the languages and people to the maps in that area. H collected multiple samples of the dialects in 1848.
This is Ottam described and the samples from different districts within Otam. From the samples of the Language, Otam is definitely Ibos that are close to anywhere around cross rivers or Akwa-ibom.

Very insightful!
Your article identifies three Ottam groups and it is the 3rd group near Obani that were acknowledged as igbos.
Also in the language table for Ottam, while the second one for counting numbers one, two, three, four is the same for igbo language, the first one for Father, Mother etc seems to be different.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2021
9Pluto:

Thanks for shedding more light. I could not really identify who they are/were. However, your comment is consistent with the author's assertions that the Breeches were igbos too.
The described Bretches in my thread Empire of the Igbos.

The only living "Bretche" today celebrated his 100th birthdaz some weeks ago
The first picture is a Bretche living in Sierra Leone in 1850s.
The Bretches were responsible for most of the ship revolts during the slave trades because they were already titled and rich.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 6:21pm On Nov 28, 2021
Ekealterego:

Your materials are topnotch. Kudos.

I wasn't far from the truth cheesy

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 6:22pm On Nov 28, 2021
OfoIgbo:

cc:
9Pluto
Igboid
Slayerforever
Eastlink

Thanks for that piece of information. I couldn't recognize the term.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by DitariDisciple2: 6:23pm On Nov 28, 2021
So why is Bonny and Opobo under all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations till today without leaving even one behind, but they are not even in one Ibo own till today.
Why do their Kings use Amayanabo as title, same with other Ijaw subgroups, like Nembe in Bayelsa Brass in Bayelsa Kalabari, Wakirike and other Ibani.
And never ever Eze.
Both Bonny and Opobo answer Ijaw names and never Ibo own.
Is Ibim Ibiwari from Opobo Ibo names??
Is Adawari from Opobo Ibo name
Is Preye from Bonny Ibo name??
Is Ebi from Bonny Ibo name??
Is Tamuno Kpokpo from Opobo Ibo name
All una lies end here.
All those write ups u posted are all created by Ibo.
Tell me why they are in all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations without leaving even one behind, till today, but they are not even in one Ibo own.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by DitariDisciple2: 6:24pm On Nov 28, 2021
DitariDisciple2:
So why is Bonny and Opobo under all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations till today without leaving even one behind, but they are not even in one Ibo own till today.
Why do their Kings use Amayanabo as title, same with other Ijaw subgroups, like Nembe in Bayelsa Brass in Bayelsa Kalabari, Wakirike and other Ibani.
All una lies end here.
Tell me why they are in all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations without leaving even one behind, till today, but they are not even in one Ibo own.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 6:24pm On Nov 28, 2021
Pass11:
Anybody with good history know this, ijaw people started the lies that king jaja is an ijaw man but we destroyed that claim with proof,they started that king jaja was ijaw salve that was letter made king in ijaw land but we destroyed that claim with proof,
They shift the goal post that king met people on ground before he became king but we destroyed that claim with proof.
They claim that opobo is part of Inc and ijaw youth council so opobo belong to them but we destroyed that claim with proof of ijaw nation constitution that state that anybody can belong to ijaw national council as long as 100 hungry people from that area come together cheesy
Now their claim is telling us to claim it physically which we will soon do grin plan is on ground to do that physically soon.

Lolll

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:30pm On Nov 28, 2021
SlayerForever:

A calculated guess.

Appas, Efik people.

The Quaws is a bit confusing. The Quaws were noted to practice teeth sharpening, which was mostly practised within the Anang, Ibibio areas. It could also be the Okua/okwa/Ukwa which was another name specifically reserved for the Asa and Ndoki.

I uploaded the Appas here.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 6:31pm On Nov 28, 2021
DitariDisciple2:
All una lies end here.

Slow down. Not everyone identifies as Ijaw in Ubani and Opobo despite the cultural confusion there. You are desperately exaggerating.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 6:34pm On Nov 28, 2021
Ekealterego:

The Quaws is a bit confusing. The Quaws were noted to practice teeth sharpening, which was mostly practised within the Anang, Ibibio areas. It could also be the Okua/okwa/Ukwa which was another name specifically reserved for the Asa and Ndoki.

I uploaded the Appas here.

For me the Quaws are not confusing. That has mostly been how the Ibibiod groups are referred to historically.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by DitariDisciple2: 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2021
SlayerForever:

Slow down. Not everyone identifies as Ijaw in Ubani and Opobo despite the cultural confusion there. You are desperately exaggerating.

You are the main confused person.
Them full the Ijaw Republic group.

You guys are the main confused people not them.

Landlocked dot circle Biafra Republic.

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 6:41pm On Nov 28, 2021
SlayerForever:

For me the Quaws are not confusing. That has mostly been how the Ibibiod groups are referred to historically.

I tend to believe it refers to people from Akwa-ibom as the author asserts they are distinct in both language and physique.

13 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 6:50pm On Nov 28, 2021
[quote author=DitariDisciple2 post=108037125][/quote]

We are trying to have an intellectual discourse here and I would appreciate claims backed with proofs. You can read through the original post and see my comments abouts names. Here is a sample family name in Opobo, 'Ikeokwuadighm'. Remember facts not fiction.

20 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:51pm On Nov 28, 2021
BKayy:

Imagine, even Racists couldn't resist the beauty of Igbo women.
No be today Igbo women started putting men into trouble, that's why today in Nigeria every thing with penis wants to kill himself on Igbo women's matter.
I could not capture this full description but they mixed it up with admiration and a light hint of racism.
These are excerpts from Crow.

13 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (90) (Reply)

APC Leaders Angry As Buhari Appoints More Northerners / Nnamdi Kanu Visits Femi Fani-Kayode As They Hug (Photo) / Lawan Andimi: Buhari Says Boko Haram Will Pay A Heavy Price For His Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.