Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) (42276 Views)

Protesters Disrupt Flights At Port Harcourt International Airport (photo) / Alfa Ekele, Nigerian Aviation Student Dies In Plane Crash At US Airport (Photo) / 78-Year-Old Woman Stranded At Lagos Airport. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Olaoluwa112(m): 9:40pm On Nov 28, 2021
The issue about building collapse shouldn't be based only on contractors, builders, I think it's time we start looking into the materials used for the building.

The cement they're making today has reduced in quality despite the high in price of the goods, what about the iron that should be raw iron, now they are mixing them with aluminium.
Yet no one talks about it.

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by nkemoma(m): 9:41pm On Nov 28, 2021
Optimistguy1969:

Shut up, kid!!

If you dont have an answer....

Shut up, fool!!!!
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by ifex370(m): 9:42pm On Nov 28, 2021
Bilabong:
Nigeria don't have maintaince culture. I won't be surprised if nothing is done until the unthinkable happens

What does the bolded me bro?
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Bukad(m): 9:42pm On Nov 28, 2021
Please don't panic just yet. Look closely at the beams also. This is just an expansion joint. And what you see is expected.

3 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Tareq1105: 9:42pm On Nov 28, 2021
It wouldn't get to that.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by MrJames007: 9:42pm On Nov 28, 2021
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by adeoba2008(m): 9:44pm On Nov 28, 2021
James217r:
Ok
Scammer.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Kay25(m): 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2021
mm2 wey dem jus build?I tire for dis naija
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by MrJames007: 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2021
everglaze01:
That is an expansion joint,it is part of the building design to allow for expansion and compression. It is normal, and you have nothing to worry about.
I only see expansion joints on bridges/flyovers o.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by BigYash: 9:46pm On Nov 28, 2021
We will set up committee to look into it.. I'm making LALA de snake master ,the chairman of that committee..
Members includes..
E.t.c
Governor fit don see am since,he go comot eyes.. No be naija again..
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by funshint(m): 9:47pm On Nov 28, 2021
Karlovych:
embarassed The Iragbiji hoodlum is looking for further souls to sacrifice ahead of 2023, it seems Lekki and Ikoyi are not enough for him and his cult group.
How does it concern him...some of you will just have heart attack before atinubu is sworn-in as President in 2023. grin

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Helpfromabove1(m): 9:47pm On Nov 28, 2021
Ok
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by AgentGoat: 9:47pm On Nov 28, 2021
That doesn't look like a crack.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by GoldenSpec: 9:47pm On Nov 28, 2021
Lagos airport again!
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by everglaze01: 9:48pm On Nov 28, 2021
MrJames007:
I only see expansion joints on bridges/flyovers o.
Basically it is done for building spanning over 30meters. Both building and bridges have expansion joint.

8 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by MrJames007: 9:50pm On Nov 28, 2021
everglaze01:

Basically it is done for building spanning over 30meters. Both building and bridges have expansion joint.
Alright. Thanks for the lecture.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by jaxxy(m): 9:51pm On Nov 28, 2021
Don’t they have structural engineers for periodic/routine maintenance?? undecided
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by DGascon: 9:53pm On Nov 28, 2021
You are right. That's not a crack, it is part of the design.
Most well designed civil engineering structures have that joint.

everglaze01:
That is an expansion joint,it is part of the building design to allow for expansion and compression. It is normal, and you have nothing to worry about.

People should get their facts right before coming online to lament. This will just put people who are ignorant of that in panic mode.

8 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by OldSkoolHeadBoy: 9:59pm On Nov 28, 2021
These are actually TWO pillars standing next to each other. The gap between them is deliberate and the crack is just fillers in-between them that is giving way.The obvious two parallel beams sitting on top tells the complete story

everglaze01:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by StayMotivated: 10:00pm On Nov 28, 2021
The particular airport terminal was built by CECC. It's a Chinese Engineering Company
Joysticks:
Thank God the contract for the construction of third mainland bridges were not awarded to a Nigerian contractor.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by baconline(m): 10:00pm On Nov 28, 2021
Looks like an expansion joint to me,if it is then its safe
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Mancrossfire: 10:02pm On Nov 28, 2021
I don't think this is the actual pillar...it's just an enclosed.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Bigfish121(m): 10:04pm On Nov 28, 2021
Na wa
When was it constructed because the life span of columns are very high.
I just hope it does not fail because the casualties will be much.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by tankoagaie: 10:06pm On Nov 28, 2021
but that is a design na
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by WinForever(m): 10:06pm On Nov 28, 2021
Let us be vigilant and take necessary action to prevent any collapse.

Remember to be ready for the coming of the Lord Jesus!
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by aspabay(m): 10:06pm On Nov 28, 2021
everglaze01:

Finally someone with sense.

The expansion join is visible, but trust the illiterates to believe whatever they want.

2 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Reference(m): 10:06pm On Nov 28, 2021
That looks like a two in one column where there is an expansion joint.
Nothing to consider there.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by blackslayer: 10:08pm On Nov 28, 2021
everglaze01:

Wow...i am no expert but i disagree! I will take pictures of similar columns in a sane country and post it here.

2 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by XOGBADO(m): 10:16pm On Nov 28, 2021
blackslayer:

Wow...i am no expert but i disagree! I will take pictures of similar columns in a sane country and post it here.

You really don't have to argue this, that's an expansion joint.
Like you said, you're not an expert

10 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by emae009(m): 10:20pm On Nov 28, 2021
at this point it's more of a material failure than a structural one. when the gap at the bottom end is larger than at the top. that's when you should be very worried
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Ibrahimndg57(m): 10:33pm On Nov 28, 2021
jaybenugo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW05hQdrdbM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

there is nothing to panic about, this is an expansion joint, it helps the building to expand during the day and contract at night

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Train And Trailer Collide In Aba (Photos, Video) / Which Country Would You Rather Live Apart From Nigeria? / Oyinbo Man In Nigeria Gushes About Mobile Policemen Protecting Him (Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.