Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint (27443 Views)

3,500 Years Ago, Stone Pillar Was Abandoned During Construction In Egypt(Pics) / Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) / Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos - An Expansion Joint (no Danger Famz) (video ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by AsomArchitectNG(m): 6:53am On Nov 29, 2021
How can you call that visible crack an expansion joint. Why those these ppl don't take responsibility for their errors?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Sunmolar(m): 6:54am On Nov 29, 2021
Check the beam,you will confirm it's an expansion joint truly.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by pickatyouu: 6:54am On Nov 29, 2021
Expansion joint wey resemble crack.

It that why there are potholes to on our roads, so it could enable the roads to breathe.
Cos this reason sound like one that the fg would adopt as an excuse anytime they are called out.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by qeemus: 6:54am On Nov 29, 2021
That's not a crack. It's obviously an expansion joint. The beam is not a single component.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Nobody: 6:55am On Nov 29, 2021
nairavsdollars:
I know that's what they will say
It's expansion joint. It's everything that is crack. Enlighten yourself with a google search.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Viraltrends123: 6:56am On Nov 29, 2021
Some people Still will not understand, until you show them pictures of thesame in US, that's when they will understand.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Nobody: 6:57am On Nov 29, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

For the beams, I understand but expansion joints within a single column?
Damn.
That is no expansion joint and I pity those who believe this fvckery.
That is not a single column, that's two columns! Oga Engineer.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Viraltrends123: 6:58am On Nov 29, 2021
pickatyouu:

It that why there are potholes to on our roads, so it could enable the roads to breathe.
Cos this reason sound like one that the fg would adopt as an excuse anytime they are called out.
Hope you know you are an illiterate

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by pickatyouu: 7:00am On Nov 29, 2021
Viraltrends123:
Hope you know you are an illiterate
Yes I do sir

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by shortgun(m): 7:01am On Nov 29, 2021
Yankee101:
That pillar is clearly a Crack

All your assets will be liquidated to settle any damages arising from a collapse

Be warned
Why are you guys like this?
A simple Google search about expansion joints would've been enough to educate you why that is not "clearly" a crack like you said.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by ashawopikin(m): 7:02am On Nov 29, 2021
This is a crack

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by clothingonline(m): 7:02am On Nov 29, 2021
That’s a pure crack

Affordable men clothing payment on delivery
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by SirMichael1: 7:04am On Nov 29, 2021
nairavsdollars:
I know that's what they will say

It's the truth. Believe it or not. Even bridges have expansion allowance. Those small spaces separated with iron when driving through a bridge is there for expansion.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by UncleBone: 7:04am On Nov 29, 2021
Whatever any side may say, the fact remains this is the first time the car park is being fully tested following the compulsory parking of all commercial and private vehicles in the building. The building is now usually at maximum capacity....I really hope the expansion joints can manage the stresses....

The govt should carry out their own independent investigation so as to confirm all is well...Enough of building collapse in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Soyhe(f): 7:04am On Nov 29, 2021
Cracked and painted na wa ooo
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by emae009(m): 7:05am On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:

It was designed to look like a single column. Rounded on one face and flat at the joint.

Those are two columns.

Besides, why would you think the beams and floor have expansion joints but not the column in a building? What then will be the purpose of the expansion joint?

the second column in the photo can clearly show the outline of the expansion joint but the first column is a crack. you can't design an expansion joint to look like a crack. What are you talking about.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Ate247(m): 7:05am On Nov 29, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Damn.
for a single pillar on an expansion joint, i think its wrong.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by shortgun(m): 7:05am On Nov 29, 2021
pickatyouu:

I think we will have a bigger problem in this country in years to come that will dwarf corruption and mismanagement of resources.... ignorance will be that big problem

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by emae009(m): 7:06am On Nov 29, 2021
SirMichael1:

It's the truth. Believe it or not. Even bridges have expansion allowance. Those small spaces separated with iron when driving through a bridge is there for expansion.

yes but the are usually straight line filled with a material or void not a crack. The first column in the photo is clearly a crack abi you dn see expansion joint were look like crack before??

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by mu2sa2: 7:08am On Nov 29, 2021
They should find a way to make it less visible. The lay man will see it as a crack and given that it's not even a straight line, it will be hard to convince many people that it's expansion joint.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Bifwoli: 7:09am On Nov 29, 2021
Charmingrascal:
I was expecting the rebuttal after all

That thing is a crack

Below are expansion joints
Why does Nigeria need expansion joints yet it doesn't have winter with snow and hot summers?
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by jaxxy(m): 7:10am On Nov 29, 2021
Denials b4 investigations as usual.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by AfroKnight: 7:11am On Nov 29, 2021
emae009:

the second column in the photo can clearly show the outline of the expansion joint but the first column is a crack. you can't design an expansion joint to look like a crack. What are you talking about.

Lol. You didn’t zoom into the picture. If you did you wouldn’t say this. You would see the second set of columns are just like the first.

Why has the crack stayed within a limit of about 25mm? There are better ways to cover a joint but someone decided to screed this joint and paint over it. That screeded part must crack. Cement/mortar/screed paint isn’t an elastomeric material. You can’t use any of those to conceal expansion joints.

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Onowu1979: 7:13am On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:

It was designed to look like a single column. Rounded on one face and flat at the joint.

Those are two columns.

Besides, why would you think the beams and floor have expansion joints but not the column in a building? What then will be the purpose of the expansion joint?

Oga that's CLEARLY a single column (Doric column), it is supposed to have a capital which usually consists of a round, tapering cushion, or echinus but in this case there is no capital, the deck is directly weighing on it which might explain the reason for the cracks. There is/are no "rounded-on-one" column(s). It is clearly a crack. Above you have a set of pictorial examples of double column pillars posted by NLanders and that's how they look.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by kunle75(m): 7:14am On Nov 29, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Damn.

Thank you I was about saying same thing, that man that issued that statement should be investigated and infact reprimanded by civil engineering authorities.
Thats a column and not expansion joint for God's sake. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Am not a civil engineer ooo but this people need to stop taking us for granted.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by BouquiLake: 7:14am On Nov 29, 2021
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by AfroKnight: 7:16am On Nov 29, 2021
Onowu1979:

Oga that's CLEARLY a single column (Doric column), it is supposed to have a capital which usually consists of a round, tapering cushion, or echinus but in this case there is no capital, the deck is directly weighing on it which might explain the reason for the cracks. There is/are no rounded-as-one column(s). It is clearly a crack. Above you have various examples of double column pillars posted by NLanders and that's how they look.

Lol. Have you ever seen a column fail before? Have you seen the patterns of the cracks? Okay tell me what this crack pattern says about this kind of failure.

I shouldn’t be arguing with you.

It’s someone like you that decided to use screed and paint to cover an expansion joint.

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by dejonathan(f): 7:18am On Nov 29, 2021
stuffs4me:

Who told you that is a single column?
Stop advertising your ignorance on social media.
Some people know nothing about building construction..
All they're after in the negativities of a story not the fact

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Onowu1979: 7:21am On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:

Lol. Have you ever seen a column fail before? Have you seen the patterns of the cracks? Okay tell me what this crack pattern says about this kind of failure.

I shouldn’t be arguing with you.

It’s someone like you that decided to use screed and paint to cover an expansion joint.

No time to join issues with you. I made my points with engineering facts, counter it with same and refrain from your Russian relay (going in circles). You've not been insulted, i have a very packed mouth trust me, please do not insult me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by EgunMogaji2: 7:21am On Nov 29, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Damn.

A prebuilt expansion joint that’s not straight, is that one an expansion joint?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by techWriter1: 7:22am On Nov 29, 2021
Cracks been came to expansion joint.......
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by kingjoe(m): 7:22am On Nov 29, 2021
From an expert,
It is a crack ,but non structural crack .in this case as a result of an expansion joint.also called surface cracks.

What is an expansion joint.?
An expansion joint is usually located between two columns or beams in a building ,brigde or similar infrastructure to accommodate effect of temperature change in building or bridges of certain lengths.
In buildings .when they are 20metres and above lengthwise.there is an effect of heat on the building that makes it expand albeit little.so in order to accommodate the expansion and contractions. A little space is created between two columns or beams .this space is enough to accommodate any change from expansion.
Things like plywood etc are placed within the space and the outer surface rendered together with the columns.
At times to show it is not bonded,a crack may appear on the surface where the expansion joint was positioned.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Historic Buildings And Structures In Nigeria / Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? / Diasporans How Much Do You Spend In Nigeria During Visits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.