Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint (27440 Views)

3,500 Years Ago, Stone Pillar Was Abandoned During Construction In Egypt(Pics) / Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) / Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos - An Expansion Joint (no Danger Famz) (video ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by semitunde: 9:59am On Nov 29, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

For the beams, I understand but expansion joints within a single column?
Damn.
That is no expansion joint and I pity those who believe this fvckery.

It's common to have expansion joints between two columns. This looks like one. Both columns may or may not have a joint foundation. The cracks there may be nominal cracks from plastering over the joints. Probably a poor job too.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Biodun556(m): 10:04am On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:

It was designed to look like a single column. Rounded on one face and flat at the joint.

Those are two columns.

Besides, why would you think the beams and floor have expansion joints but not the column in a building? What then will be the purpose of the expansion joint?

Edit:
When maintaining buildings, please call professionals. Someone decided to make the columns look more aesthetically pleasing (in their own eyes, anyway) and proceeded to fill the joint so that they can paint it to look like one single column. See what they have caused?

If you cover an expansion with mortar/pop screed or whatever inelastic material, it will crack. It doesn’t mean the columns are distressed.

The paint creat illusion for some people
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Gkored: 10:06am On Nov 29, 2021
stuffs4me:

Who told you that is a single column?
Stop advertising your ignorance on social media.

Looking at the soffit of the beams and the faces of the floor below the columns, there are evident expansion joints. As such it won't be reasonable if there is no such joints in the columns because it would definitely cancel out the essence of providing them in the beams and the floor.
Concerned parties can really relax. And should it be that the joints are not present in the columns which is not reasonable/most likely, then, we will have the designer, and the project managers to question before talking about the builder.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by shortgun(m): 10:08am On Nov 29, 2021
obailala:
Given the clearly visible gap on the floor, I believe this is definitely an expansion joint, but what I dont understand is why they should plaster up and paint the pillars all round. Why not use an elastic substance or even just leave the gap open?

With a little expansion over time, the partition on the pillars now clearly look like cracks and you cant blame anyone for being worried.

@Civil Engineers, are expansion joints meant to be plastered and painted?
In construction there are many consideration when it comes to finishings and aesthetics; most times these finishings or aesthetic appeals is not the decision of the engineers to make.

Seeing vertical gaps or a different material in the middle of a seemingly single round columns will not appeal to majority of users of such structures with little or no knowledge why they should be there in the first place.
Probably, a decision was taken to conceal the gaps in other not to create panic in the minds of users or to create a sense of uniformity with other columns; this decision will in no way affect the structural integrity, functionality of the columns or the structure and most engineers will allow it.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Idiotmod: 10:16am On Nov 29, 2021
Oga ade. This one na crack

No dey tell us Albino na Oyinbo
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Jamesbiodun(m): 10:17am On Nov 29, 2021
There is different between expansion joint and a crack, let call a spade a spade that is a crack and not expansion joint sad
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Biodun556(m): 10:17am On Nov 29, 2021
Charmingrascal:
I was expecting the rebuttal after all

That thing is a crack

Below are expansion joints

The difference between MMA parking lot and the building you uploaded is the paint in MMA parking lot Columns.

It is unprofessional to paint the joint and the reaction and fear are the consequences of painting it.

The painter wanted to make it appear like a column.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by obailala(m): 10:23am On Nov 29, 2021
shortgun:

In construction there are many consideration when it comes to finishings and aesthetics; most times these finishings or aesthetic appeals is not the decision of the engineers to make.

Seeing vertical gaps or a different material in the middle of a seemingly single round columns will not appeal to majority of users of such structures with little or no knowledge why they should be there in the first place.
Probably, a decision was taken to conceal the gaps in other not to create panic in the minds of users or to create a sense of uniformity with other columns; this decision will in no way affect the structural integrity, functionality of the columns or the structure and most engineers will allow it.
haha... unfortunately that decision has just turned out to be a nightmare. The users would definitely have been more confident if the say an evenly split column than what the see now which looks like a cracked pillar.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by victorazy(m): 10:38am On Nov 29, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Damn.

Bros that's an expansion joint but was rendered (finished) together which is normal.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by PARADIZEPRIEST: 10:41am On Nov 29, 2021
YOU BETA FIX IT NOW B4 TOO LATE.
REINFORCE THE PILLARS AND CHECK OTHERS FOR TENSILE STRENGTH AND INTEGRITY.MUROONS IN FAAAN
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 29, 2021
Ok laaa!
A thread for structural engineers to SHINE!
Enjoy , oh!
I can already see how they landed on the thread and are each emptying their brains of it's content. It's cool to see wink
Nwaamaikpe, they've already started with you this Monday morning. grin but you were just stating what you thought you knew was right nau cry
But you are Nwaamaikpe. What did you expect? Do not mind them. No be this thread caus some of the insults. Let's act as if we don't know . grin

* Singing, spillover oh. Na Spillover *
What?? Spillover is a musik jareh. cheesy
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by SirMichael1: 11:14am On Nov 29, 2021
emae009:

yes but the are usually straight line filled with a material or void not a crack. The first column in the photo is clearly a crack abi you dn see expansion joint were look like crack before??

Yeah. It's obviously a crack along the column. The designer that made such design shouldn't have built a column or he should have built two separate columns there, as there's so many activities along an expansion joint, the major one being vibration, which must have caused that crack.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by shomutuski(m): 11:28am On Nov 29, 2021
majamajic:
FTC to all Man Utd fans , we teach them soccer , na them escape !

youre so delusional that you and seven others believe it
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Hotspotbro(m): 11:57am On Nov 29, 2021
This is a crack, a visible one.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by feeloscar(m): 12:23pm On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:

It was designed to look like a single column. Rounded on one face and flat at the joint.

Those are two columns.

Besides, why would you think the beams and floor have expansion joints but not the column in a building? What then will be the purpose of the expansion joint?

Edit:
When maintaining buildings, please call professionals. Someone decided to make the columns look more aesthetically pleasing (in their own eyes, anyway) and proceeded to fill the joint so that they can paint it to look like one single column. See what they have caused?

If you cover an expansion with mortar/pop screed or whatever inelastic material, it will crack. It doesn’t mean the columns are distressed.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by feeloscar(m): 12:37pm On Nov 29, 2021
AsomArchitectNG:
How can you call that visible crack an expansion joint. Why those these ppl don't take responsibility for their errors?
Arc, that is clearly an expansion joint. People are used to square or rectangular columns and not semi circular columns like the one being discussed, hence the confusion.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by aminusodiq(m): 2:36pm On Nov 29, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Damn.
bro u don forget ur gif?
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by aminusodiq(m): 2:37pm On Nov 29, 2021
stuffs4me:
There are too many illustrates in Nigeria.

Expansion bolts are a necessity in large buildings. Large buildings without expansion bolts would become stresed and eventually collapse.
lol... See u
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by aminusodiq(m): 2:38pm On Nov 29, 2021
stuffs4me:
There are too many illustrates in Nigeria.

Expansion bolts are a necessity in large buildings. Large buildings without expansion bolts would become stresed and eventually collapse.
lol... See... I dont know anything aboht construction... But that shit upthere isnt man made... Thats obviously natural
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Adedapo57: 3:59pm On Nov 29, 2021
SportsHD:
so fxucked
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by mannasseh(m): 5:47pm On Nov 29, 2021
Ecne:

Good morning.

That is supposed to be an expansion joint, and it lines up with the ones on the beams and slabs.
It would make no sense to erect solid columns on an expansion joints of a beams or a slabs.
That would be counterproductive as it will be a complete construction failure in any structure.

My best take is that, someone decided to cover that joint with mortar instead of using removable flaps like you see them in the other pictures

The Management of Bi-Courtney would have to share the structural drawing of the foundation pillars to the public, in attempts to restore public confidence. This will assure the public that there wasn't an error at the construction phase.

NSE and LASG should investigate this to know if the 'expansion joint' has cracked grin

thanks brother
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by ChevKing(m): 7:42pm On Nov 29, 2021
Biodun556:
.https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/497861-bi-courtney-dismisses-concern-over-cracked-pillars-at-lagos-airport.html

Usually this point is expected to experience movement from thermal and other effects. That's is an expansion joint full stop.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? / Historic Buildings And Structures In Nigeria / Diasporans How Much Do You Spend In Nigeria During Visits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.