Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,384 members, 7,800,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs (18418 Views)

Help! Goods Worth N200,000,000 Detained By NIGERIAN CUSTOMS / Stamp Duty Charges Extended To Savings Account / Nigerian Customs Sabotaging Igbo Businesses - Ohanaeze Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Dandy1(m): 8:15pm On Nov 29, 2021
I couldn't find a suitable sub-forum for this topic, so I used the general. Kindly patiently read through, if there's anyone that can help - please kindly reach out.

I'm going to be apt and sincere here. So I ordered a musical studio equipment on the Aliexpress 11:11 sales day. The total sum I paid for the item at checkout was $280(114k naira). Free shipping was part of the deal, so it was mouth watering. Normally, I would have used the service of Nairaland trusted shipping agents like Justi4jesu, but she doesn't do Aliexpress the last time I checked.

Fast forward to today, I was called to come pick up my parcel at the local post office. The item was stated on the listing to be shipped through 'Aliexpress standard shipping', I don't know how it ended up in the care of EMS. I reached there, and some sort of invoice was brought out. The attending agent looked at the papers for a moment and told me I would be paying about 39,600 for the clearance. What!!!

I couldn't believe my ears, so I told her to please pass me the document for observation. I saw the estimated value of the item was put at #202,000 naira. How come? It stated on the paper that the custom duty was 10%,which is #20,000. Plus all other trumped up charges, it summed up to #39,600. Plus 1k5 for shipping from Lagos, over 40k. That's about $100, using the current official exchange rate.

I bought a $280 dollar item and I'm being charged $100 for collection? That's like 43% of the value. Even if I am stinkingly rich, which I am not; it's insane to pay such amount. It's like buying a 1milli worth car and paying 430k to clear it. I am an obedient citizen and all, but inflating the price of the item I bought just to cash out big through tariff screams corruption to me. I am very sure just a fraction of the amount will be remitted to government coffers.

Please if there's anybody who has an idea how to go about beating down this obviously outrageous charges, kindly help out. I can print out the issued invoice on the bought item as proof of price if there's a need. Thanks.

Lalasticlala and other mods, I will be glad if this can make front page for more awareness of this unjust situation. Thanks

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by akinsto4ever(m): 8:38pm On Nov 29, 2021
There is nothing you can do OP just try to negotiate with the person in charge there...this happens not just in Nigeria alone but in almost all African countries

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Dandy1(m): 8:45pm On Nov 29, 2021
akinsto4ever:
There is nothing you can do OP just try to negotiate with the person in charge there...this happens not just in Nigeria alone but in almost all African countries

Ha! That's really crazy. Do you mean one has to pay about half the price value of what you ordered in order to get it. You are definitely wrong and are encouraging this unjust exploitation. Who does that? Pay half the prize for duty? It wouldn't even happen in North Korea. Even Kim won't be that heartless.

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by akinsto4ever(m): 9:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
No vex sir... Go there and beat them all up

8 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Dandy1(m): 10:09pm On Nov 29, 2021
akinsto4ever:

Ha! O ga o. With people like you, this injustice will be encouraged. You think if Nigeria produces a usable equal to what I ordered, or even something close - I would have bothered myself ordering from abroad? So whenever we buy things we can't get locally, they should slit our throats for it right?

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Dandy1(m): 11:33am On Nov 30, 2021
cry cry cry

Anyone who has any idea on how to go about this or help out kindly do. Attached is a screenshot of the actual amount paid at checkout. Lalasticlala and other mods please help for more audience.

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by BigSarah(f): 3:00pm On Dec 01, 2021
Hammed isn't joking around

1 Like

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by WibusJaga: 3:00pm On Dec 01, 2021
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by visijo(m): 3:00pm On Dec 01, 2021
Hmm Nigeria no follow for countries again.

Meanwhile You usually argue with those you care about. People avoid fights completely when they're no longer interested emotionally. wink

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Oleka1: 3:00pm On Dec 01, 2021
The exploitation is getting too much and it's one of the key factors of price increase of most commodities today.

If you stay in Lagos come put 100k in my POS business and get 10k returns every month and collect back your 100k anytime you want your money back. I can give you something to hold as collateral. Contact me

5 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Tobidarker02: 3:00pm On Dec 01, 2021
The devastating thing is there is nothing you can do about it.
Custom are the main reason why so many things are ridiculously expensive in Nigeria, they are menace to the society and the thing is apart from there boss boss, they always have nothing to show for the money stolen because they are all cursed.
If your parents are customs officer yiu need prayers, because normally e no suppose better for you
So sorry Op

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Houseofglam7(f): 3:01pm On Dec 01, 2021
cry
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by NaijaOlosho(f): 3:01pm On Dec 01, 2021
grin
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Searchingvictor: 3:02pm On Dec 01, 2021
Where person fit donate sperm naw. Money needed wallah

2 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by auntynameh: 3:02pm On Dec 01, 2021
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by SKYHIGHfx: 3:02pm On Dec 01, 2021
Next time use GOD IS GOOD logistics

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Sheuns(m): 3:03pm On Dec 01, 2021
Dandy1:
I couldn't find a suitable sub-forum for this topic, so I used the general. Kindly patiently read through, if there's anyone that can help - please kindly reach out.

I'm going to be apt and sincere here. So I ordered a musical studio equipment on the Aliexpress 11:11 sales day. The total sum I paid for the item at checkout was $280(114k naira). Free shipping was part of the deal, so it was mouth watering. Normally, I would have used the service of Nairaland trusted shipping agents like Justi4jesu, but she doesn't do Aliexpress the last time I checked.

Fast forward to today, I was called to come pick up my parcel at the local post office. The item was stated on the listing to be shipped through 'Aliexpress standard shipping', I don't know how it ended up in the care of EMS. I reached there, and some sort of invoice was brought out. The attending agent looked at the papers for a moment and told me I would be paying about 39,600 for the clearance. What!!!

I couldn't believe my ears, so I told her to please pass me the document for observation. I saw the estimated value of the item was put at #202,000 naira. How come? It stated on the paper that the custom duty was 10%,which is #20,000. Plus all other trumped up charges, it summed up to #39,600. Plus 1k5 for shipping from Lagos, over 40k. That's about $100, using the current official exchange rate.

I bought a $280 dollar item and I'm being charged $100 for collection? That's like 43% of the value. Even if I am stinkingly rich, which I am not; it's insane to pay such amount. It's like buying a 1milli worth car and paying 430k to clear it. I am an obedient citizen and all, but inflating the price of the item I bought just to cash out big through tariff screams corruption to me. I am very sure just a fraction of the amount will be remitted to government coffers.

Please if there's anybody who has an idea how to go about beating down this obviously outrageous charges, kindly help out. I can print out the issued invoice on the bought item as proof of price if there's a need. Thanks.

Lalasticlala and other mods, I will be glad if this can make front page for more awareness of this unjust situation. Thanks

You could have used shipping agents services. Was the item listed as 'gift item' by the seller before shipment?

1 Like

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Administration1: 3:03pm On Dec 01, 2021
Even a parcel whose destination is Aso Rock was charged with a fee of 300k, just negotiate with the EMS guys though
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by aspabay(m): 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2021
Its normal parole na, ask car importers

2 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by izzou(m): 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2021
grin

It doesn't matter if you bought it for 10 cents

Air freight can be expensive, mostly dependent on the weight of the item, and if it contains a battery in it.

So don't evaluate the cost of the item to the shipping fee. It doesn't work that way

So sorry for your ordeal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Geeman2006: 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2021
Nigeria. A country full of wonders.

4 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Ijaya123: 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2021
Almost 50% clearance fee? The corruption in these country is in the blood. This country is just designed to frustrate you, every step of the way.

Quite annoying.

8 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by AntonVince: 3:05pm On Dec 01, 2021
@Dandy1:

I suppose they employed their dubious "Customs Valuation" as against the item's actual worth during Duty calculation.
smiley
They do that a lot.

Just get the item's invoice and any other supporting document that could establish the actual amount your purchased it and ask the Courier company that shipped it in to send same to the Nigerian Customs for a re-evaluation of the applicable tariff.

It will be reviewed.

8 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by dan2976: 3:06pm On Dec 01, 2021
Go back and renegotiate.. It's not ideal but that is the system that operates in Nigeria.. Of course the bill is padded, but hey, what where you expecting?.. There was a country called Nigeria...

2 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Tobidarker02: 3:06pm On Dec 01, 2021
akinsto4ever:
You are stewpeed.

6 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by GIANTPLUSHUB: 3:07pm On Dec 01, 2021
Eeyah
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by LLSAINT(m): 3:07pm On Dec 01, 2021
This is what you get because you voted Buhari to power....

2 Likes

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Toonice(m): 3:08pm On Dec 01, 2021
Welcome to Nigeria, just negotiate with them because there is nothing you can do.
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by Dididrumz(m): 3:08pm On Dec 01, 2021
This is Nigeria
Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by ILoveDemMANNA: 3:09pm On Dec 01, 2021
Administration1:
Even a parcel whose destination is Aso Rock was charged with a fee of 300k, just negotiate with the EMS guys though
300K?
This is ridiculous shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Exploitative Outrageous Duty Charges By Nigerian Customs by moscobabs(m): 3:09pm On Dec 01, 2021
shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Innocent Chukwuma Innoson Sues EFCC N200bn For ‘Defamation, Falsehood’ / CBN Bars BVN Violators From Opening Bank Accounts / Borno State's PVC Pipe Factory Completed, Set To Take-Off (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.