Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,502 members, 7,781,528 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:15 PM

World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima (4063 Views)

12 Years With HIV - Lady Marks World AIDS Day (Pictures) / World AIDS Day: African Countries With The Highest Number Of HIV/AIDS Patients / Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by robosky02(m): 7:55am On Dec 01, 2021
World AIDS Day 2021 message from UNAIDS Executive Director Winnie Byanyima

Greetings on this World AIDS Day, and my solidarity with all around the world as we confront the impact of colliding pandemics.

This year, the world agreed on a bold plan that, if leaders fulfil it, will end AIDS by 2030. That’s so exciting.

But today we, as the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, issue a stark warning. AIDS remains a pandemic, the red light is flashing and only by moving fast to end the inequalities that drive the pandemic can we overcome it.

Where leaders are acting boldly and together, bringing together cutting-edge science, delivering services that meet all people’s needs, protecting human rights and sustaining adequate financing, AIDS-related deaths and new HIV infections are becoming rare.

But this is only the case in some places and for some people.

Without the inequality-fighting approach we need to end AIDS, the world would also struggle to end the COVID-19 pandemic and would remain unprepared for the pandemics of the future. That would be profoundly dangerous for us all.

Progress in AIDS, which was already off track, is now under even greater strain as the COVID-19 crisis continues to rage, disrupting HIV prevention and treatment services, schooling, violence prevention programmes and more.

On our current trajectory, we aren’t bending the curve fast enough and risk an AIDS pandemic lasting decades. We have to move faster on a set of concrete actions agreed by United Nations Member States to address the inequalities that are driving HIV.

Through fighting the AIDS pandemic, we have learned a lot about what we need more of for AIDS and for all pandemics.

We urgently need sufficient community-led and community-based infrastructure as part of a strong public health system, underpinned by robust civil society accountability.

We need policies to ensure fair and affordable access to science.

Every new technology should reach each and everyone who needs it without delay.

We need to protect our health workers and expand their numbers to meet our urgent needs.

We must protect human rights and build trust in health systems.

It is these that will ensure we close the inequality gaps and end AIDS. But they are too often applied unevenly, are underfunded and are underappreciated.

I salute the front-line communities that have pioneered the approaches shown to be most effective, that have driven the momentum for change and that are pushing leaders to be bold. I urge you: keep pushing.

World leaders must work together urgently to tackle these challenges head-on. I urge you: be courageous in matching words with deeds.

There is not a choice to be made between ending the AIDS pandemic that is raging today and preparing for the pandemics of tomorrow. The only successful approach will achieve both. As of now, we are not on track to achieve either.

If we take on the inequalities that hold back progress, we can deliver on the promise to end AIDS by 2030. It is in our hands.

Every minute that passes, we are losing a precious life to AIDS. We don’t have time.

End inequalities. End AIDS. End pandemics.

Thank you.
https://www.unaids.org/en/resources/presscentre/pressreleaseandstatementarchive/2021/december/2021-world-aids-day-message-from

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by ForeThinker: 7:57am On Dec 01, 2021
Heal the world

2 Likes

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by Onyox: 7:58am On Dec 01, 2021
God help us to live equally without discrimination.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by crownedprinz(m): 7:58am On Dec 01, 2021
As much as AIDS is real, there are still lots of people out there having unprotected s*x with numerous peope. Y'all need to be careful out there

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by purpulrain: 8:00am On Dec 01, 2021
I didn't go through that cause I know it's for people engaging in premarital sex. Knowing and practicing the lords teaching got me covered.

imakwa

1 Like

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by MufasaLion: 8:00am On Dec 01, 2021
Don't just comment. Go and know your HIV/AIDS status.

10 Likes

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by amorprincesa: 8:00am On Dec 01, 2021
We hope the world overcome this pandemic

1 Like

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by MrVicar(m): 8:01am On Dec 01, 2021
Help us Abba Father.

1 Like

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by Houseofglam7(f): 8:01am On Dec 01, 2021
Hunger is a bigger problem right now

1 Like

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by HEAVEN4444: 8:01am On Dec 01, 2021
grin
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by PavillionEnergy: 8:01am On Dec 01, 2021
Always shag with a condom to avoid stories.

Skin-to-skin sweet but na AIDS spoil am

2 Likes

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by stano2(m): 8:02am On Dec 01, 2021
Know your status now
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by Digmygold: 8:05am On Dec 01, 2021
Ubunja day. Day for wrinkled, lone homos.
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by robosky02(m): 8:05am On Dec 01, 2021
We hope for a better world
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by id4sho(m): 8:14am On Dec 01, 2021
shocked
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by Orangedreams: 8:14am On Dec 01, 2021
I recall those years AIDS reigned supreme and the fear was all over.

Abeg check my signature jare!
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by Ofunaofu: 8:23am On Dec 01, 2021
Know your status

AIDS is real
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by Vireani79: 8:25am On Dec 01, 2021
MufasaLion:
Don't just comment. Go and know your HIV/AIDS status.

And after u know
What will u do with it
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by MufasaLion: 8:26am On Dec 01, 2021
Vireani79:

And after u know
What will u do with it

It's a great sense of relief knowing you are negative.

2 Likes

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by nokspos: 8:32am On Dec 01, 2021
release the cure
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by Freelane33(m): 8:38am On Dec 01, 2021
Happy new month
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by Driggs: 8:43am On Dec 01, 2021
H
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by obembet(f): 8:57am On Dec 01, 2021
Why people fear to comment on this thread cheesy
Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by wink2015(m): 9:32am On Dec 01, 2021
AIDS is like the silent killer.

Nobody is talking about Aids now despite its dangers to human health.

Covid 19 seems to have overshadowed Aids.

1 Like

Re: World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima by MissSlimbody(f): 10:34am On Dec 01, 2021
purpulrain:
I didn't go through that cause I know it's for people engaging in premarital sex. Knowing and practicing the lords teaching got me covered.

imakwa

And you think everyone that's HIV positive got it through sex abi? undecided undecided

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Sit-ups Will Not Give You Six-packs And Could Leave You With A Pot Belly / Ten Real Deformities You Have To See To Believe. / Admin Please Push To Top Urgent Help Penis, Lap Upper Thigh, Scrotum Itches Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.