Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,206 members, 7,807,698 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State (7596 Views)

I’ll Sack The 22 APC Chairmen Elected In Rivers – Wike / Gov Ahmed Re Elected In Kwara, As APC Clears The 28 Assembly Seats / Nigeria's First Female Governor Elected In Taraba State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by leyopumpin(m): 5:00pm On Jun 10, 2011
Monsurat Jumoke Sunmonu of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, from Oyo West/East State Constituency has been elected as the first woman Speaker of the Oyo State House of Assembly.
She was elected today along with David Olaniyan Babatunde of the Accord Party from Atiba State Constituency, as the deputy speaker.

Read More: http://leyeomole..com/2011/06/oyo-assembly-elects-first-woman-speaker.html
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by OAM4J: 5:07pm On Jun 10, 2011
Good one! Does anyone has her background information, resume, picture, etc
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by Pukkah: 5:10pm On Jun 10, 2011
This looks like a cooperation between the ACN and Accord elements in the House.  Congrats Mrs Sunmonu. Let's know more about her please. Oyo deserves the best of governance this time around.
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by moremi2008(m): 5:29pm On Jun 10, 2011
She's has British and Nigerian citizenship and is based in London. Congratulations to her!
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by IYANGBALI: 6:41pm On Jun 10, 2011
abeg does she have a daughter? i would like to be her son in-law grin
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by tpia5: 9:02pm On Jun 10, 2011
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by tpia5: 9:07pm On Jun 10, 2011

United Kingdom based Immigration officer and lawyer, Hadjia Monsurat Sunmonu

Sunmonu, who holds an LLB intermediate of the London University , was, before her election, an astute member of Oyo Defender Union-UK, a town union in the Diaspora which supports development projects in Oyo Township , her native place of birth.

She said she decided to join politics after witnessing the adverse effect of government’s neglect of infrastructure – fatal accidents on road, while on a trip home. “So, on getting back, I told myself, why don’t we get involved in governance to positively affect our people” she told Daily Sun.
The former immigration officer is bringing the benefit of her overseas exposure to bear on governance. She says she was heading for the house “to assist underprivileged people, small business people and get employment for the youths”. Also to concern her are the cardinal manifesto of her party, ACN – vis: free education, infrastructure provision, agricultural development and environmental sanitation.

http://www.zimbio.com/Nigeria+Today/articles/SFB96AvTfjS/CHANGE+GUARDS+OYO+HOUSE+HERALDS+HOPE
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by OAM4J: 10:50pm On Jun 10, 2011
^Thanks
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by Akinolore(m): 11:33pm On Jun 10, 2011
Hope she wil perform. Issues in oyo state needs urgent atension mummy wa o
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by Mynd44: 11:37pm On Jun 10, 2011
Hope she would cause a positive change
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by gentlem80(m): 12:36am On Jun 11, 2011
Good news for a great state. I pray she has the courage and strength to deliver when needed, God bless you Ms Sumonu!!!
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by moremi2008(m): 3:59am On Jun 11, 2011
IYA NGBALI:

abeg does she have a daughter? i would like to be her son in-law grin

LOL, thief!
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by dayokanu(m): 4:48am On Jun 11, 2011
Aji se bi Oyo lari
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by Pafuri(m): 5:48am On Jun 11, 2011
Oyo o se Baba eni k'ankan.

PACESETTER STATE!

We always show them!
T'a l'erukeru n f'oju di,
t'ani karambani n f'oju ise wo?
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by enyojo(f): 7:11am On Jun 11, 2011
COMPENSATION FOR THEIR HONORABLE DAUGHTER WHO LOST AT THE HOUSE OF REPS
THUMBS UP FOR THE PACE-SETTER STATE ALREADY RE-TAKING ITS PLACE IN THE 'COMITY OF STATES'

IT BEATS ME TO SEE THAT ACN ACTUALLY FIELDED THE BEST OF CANDIDATES
Sunmonu, who holds an LLB intermediate of the London University , was, before her election, an astute member of Oyo Defender Union-UK, a town union in the Diaspora which supports development projects in Oyo Township , her native place of birth.

She said she decided to join politics after witnessing the adverse effect of government’s neglect of infrastructure – fatal accidents on road, while on a trip home. “So, on getting back, I told myself, why don’t we get involved in governance to positively affect our people” she told Daily Sun.
The former immigration officer is bringing the benefit of her overseas exposure to bear on governance. She says she was heading for the house “to assist underprivileged people, small business people and get employment for the youths”. Also to concern her are the cardinal manifesto of her party, ACN – vis: free education, infrastructure provision, agricultural development and environmental sanitation
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by Gbenge77(m): 7:20am On Jun 11, 2011
Very good.
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by MMM2(m): 8:38am On Jun 11, 2011
9ice
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by playboy19(m): 10:06am On Jun 11, 2011
Damn, Aunty Monsurat is now the speaker? Gosh, this devilish woman. Stingy as hell and full of herself. I'd better call somebody to confirm this.

IYA NGBALI:

abeg does she have a daughter? i would like to be her son in-law

She has a slowpoke daughter and always ready for a date,  lol I swear to God this is no joke. Before you start throwing stones at me, she is from my maternal and i have lived with her in London before
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by KDULAR: 10:22am On Jun 11, 2011
Slow your roll man! It's no news most londoners are stingy especially the civil servants. But talking about a girl like thatt is sour bro!!
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by playboy19(m): 10:28am On Jun 11, 2011
Well my bad,  i shouldn't have said that about the girl in public  tongue but, yea that's the truth. And i only said that so you guys would weigh up your chances before getting involve with her daughter.
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by oladayo042: 11:02am On Jun 11, 2011
Fair enough. Affirmative action?
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by unongu(m): 2:58am On Jun 12, 2011
She might be the first woman speaker in Oyo state, but certainly NOT the first woman speaker in Nigeria! Chief Mrs. Margaret Icheen emerged as the first woman speaker in Nigeria and possibly Africa between 1999 and 2003. Mrs. Icheen comfortably held sway in the Benue State House of Assembly for a larger part of Obasanjo's first dispensation. The records are there for us to see.
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by Nobody: 3:01am On Jun 12, 2011
unongu:

She might be the first woman speaker in Oyo state, but certainly NOT the first woman speaker in Nigeria! Chief Mrs. Margaret Icheen emerged as the first woman speaker in Nigeria and possibly Africa between 1999 and 2003. Mrs. Icheen comfortably held sway in the Benue State House of Assembly for a larger part of Obasanjo's first dispensation. The records are there for us to see.

Too much unnecessary over sabi.

What does the topic title say?
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by playboy19(m): 5:27pm On Jun 12, 2011
Idi Ileke, don't blame him/her, too many kids on NL this days.
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by anointedf(m): 12:13pm On Jun 13, 2011
Thats a good AP ACN coop to have the majority in the house.
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by unongu(m): 2:39pm On Jun 13, 2011
Earlier on in a bid to educate some pple about the fact that the woman speaker elected in Oyo state should not be misconstrued as being the first in the country, some pple are bent on turning the valuable information into a circus of Foul-Mouth-Show. Hmmm, I feel sorry for them. Congratulations Oyo State and ACN for scoring another milestone. I wish the newly elected speaker an impeachment-free tenure.
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by Pukkah: 6:31pm On Jun 13, 2011
playboy19:

Damn, Aunty Monsurat is now the speaker? Gosh, this devilish woman. Stingy as hell and full of herself. I'd better call somebody to confirm this.

How do these affect governance please? Why pour all these abuse on the poor woman?
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 13, 2011
Good precedent.
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by emiye(m): 10:10pm On Jun 13, 2011
i sincerely hope she wont disappoint, IMO, her response on her inauguration to the question by journalists as what she will bringing to the table was highly unimpressive and incoherent, the journalist needed to shift the question to the house leader.

I want to believe it was the tense situation in the air.
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by b0dnel: 12:38am On Jun 14, 2011
unongu:

Earlier on in a bid to educate some pple about the fact that the woman speaker elected in Oyo state should not be misconstrued as being the first in the country, some pple are bent on turning the valuable information into a circus of Foul-Mouth-Show. Hmmm,  I feel sorry for them. Congratulations Oyo State and ACN for scoring another milestone. I wish the newly elected speaker an impeachment-free tenure. 

[size=28pt]
Mugu, please FYI, Mrs. Eucharia Azodo, was elected SPEAKER in 2003 but was impeached a month later for her alleged role in the kidnap of then Anambra State Governor, Dr. Chris Ngige.
[/size]

unongu:

She might be the first woman speaker in Oyo state, but certainly NOT the first woman speaker in Nigeria! Chief Mrs. Margaret Icheen emerged as the first woman speaker in Nigeria and possibly Africa between 1999 and 2003. [b]Mrs. Icheen c[/b]omfortably held sway in the Benue State House of Assembly for a larger part of Obasanjo's first dispensation. The records are there for us to see.

[size=18pt]WHERE does that leave our dear OYO woman THE THIRD FEMALE SPEAKER!!![/size]
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by EkoIle1: 12:50am On Jun 14, 2011
These people and their silly tribal o.rgy sha? The article said in  Oyo assembly, not Nigeria.

Ibo people sabi carry unnecessary load for head sha,
Re: First Woman Speaker Elected In Oyo State by yarodin: 1:06am On Jun 14, 2011
Igbo people have shown Yoruba the way, this is a great victory for all thanks to Ndigbo showing the lit path.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Inaugurates Committees On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway / Amazing Pictures Of Olawepo Hashim's Meeting With PT Excos In Abuja / FG Votes N792m To Refurbish Aircraft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.