Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student (27965 Views)

Anabelle Oromoni, Sylvester's Sister Reacts To Autopsy Results / Sylvester Oromoni: Video Of Dowen College Student In Pains Before He Died / 12-Year-Old Dowen College Student Beaten To Death By Cultist Schoolmates (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by edimaan: 11:58pm On Dec 01, 2021
MEDIA STATEMENT

Press Statement on Oromoni Sylvester

"The attention of the management of Dowen College has been drawn to a viral post on the sad demise of one of our precious children, Sylvester Oromoni.

On 21st day of November 2021, one of the Hostel Parents reported to management that Sylvester was injured while playing football. The resident registered nurse immediately administered first aid on him and after he expressed relief, was released to return to his hostel room.

Sylvester was in class on Monday 22nd day of November 2021, but during school hours one of his friends accompanied him to the Sick Bay where he complained of some pain in his hip. The doctor examined him and prescribed Ibrofen for the pain, while the nurse massaged his leg, after which Sylvester said he felt a bit better.

In accordance with school policy, the resident doctor called Mrs. Oromoni reporting the incident and requesting that she come for him so that he could get further medical attention. The mother however said she was not in Lagos, spoke with Sylvester and prayed with him on the phone and promised to send the guardian to pick him up immediately for further medical attention.

When the guardian failed to show up, the next day on the 23rdof November 2021, the doctor called the mother again and this time, she assured that his guardian would pick him from school. Sylvester’s guardian showed up and took him for X-ray after which the guardian informed the school management that the results of the investigation revealed that no part of his body was broken or injured.

The resident doctor also called the mother later in the week to check up on Sylvester’s progress but she informed the doctor that Sylvester was sleeping at the time.

The Principal also spoke with Mrs. Oromoni on the phone to enquire about his progress and she reported that he was having a massage and gave the phone to Sylvester to speak with the Principal.

As a result, it came as no small shock to us to read wild social media tales that Sylvester was beaten by some students and that he specifically mentioned some names. We immediately commenced investigations and invited the students mentioned for interview. Sylvester's guardian was also present during some of the investigations. It was revealed that nothing of such happened.

The whole incident was strange and unbelievable because:

1. The school has effective anti-bullying policies and consequences are well spelt out to all the students.

2. The preliminary investigation showed that there was no fighting, bullying or any form of attack on the boy.

3. There were no reports by Sylvester himself, his sister who is also a student or any other students, prefects, house parents, medical staff or any of the management staff about any fighting or bullying incident.

4. The school has two regular nurses and a qualified medical doctor that promptly attend to students’ medical needs.

5. The resident doctor followed the laid down procedure by inviting Mrs. Oromoni to take Sylvester home for further treatment after initial treatment by the school’s medical staff.

The school has a very cordial relationship with the Oromoni family as Sylvester is the fifth child of the family Dowen College has the privilege to train, including his elder sister who is currently a student at the school.

Furthermore, we state categorically Dowen College is built on core values of godliness and excellence and will not tolerate any acts of cultism, which is why there is nothing like that and there has never been such deviant activities going on, as this is a faith based school and effective policies are in place to prevent such occurrence.

We are deeply saddened by the death of Sylvester who was a dearly beloved student of the school. We wish to extend our deepest sympathy and heart-felt condolences to the Oromoni family, relatives, friends, and classmates at this very difficult time."

Thank you.

PRINCIPAL

Earlier thread https://www.nairaland.com/6875786/12-year-old-dowen-college-student-beaten

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by HelloWriter: 12:30am On Dec 02, 2021
But, how come the boy mentioned some names? If he didn't mention those names, how did his brother at home know such names exist at Dowen? Let's wait for a possible counter-statement from the Oromoni family before we can tell who is telling the truth or not. Sometimes, certain dirty practices may be going on among students unknown to the school managers.

170 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by habsydiamond(m): 12:41am On Dec 02, 2021
They are trying to cover their ass wey don expose already... If those mentioned were not cultists then why did he mention their names.. What transpire between them Were they buying and selling Dem won cover this one up oo

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:12am On Dec 02, 2021
omo
Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by samtol4(m): 2:54am On Dec 02, 2021
God will help the family to bear the pain. However ,I don't think I will be comfortable with enrolling my children at age 12 in boarding school, looking at the current state of the country

58 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by illicit(m): 3:01am On Dec 02, 2021
Rip young blood

3 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Favornee23(f): 3:03am On Dec 02, 2021
Please can someone help me...I paid my fees in uwe Bristol since two weeks now...they accepted payment but since after then no procedures for cas...no response to messages.. please I'm devastated now

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by blessedvisky(m): 3:12am On Dec 02, 2021
The truth will eventually be revealed.

We can only wait and see

10 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Oche211(m): 5:03am On Dec 02, 2021
HelloWriter:
But, how come the boy mentioned some names? If he didn't mention those names, how did his brother at home know such names exist at Dowen? Let's wait for a possible counter-statement from the Oromoni family before we can tell who is telling the truth or not. Sometimes, certain dirty practices may be going on among students unknown to the school managers.
Same question I wanted to ask.
How did the brother at home know but the names and surnames of the students involved.
The boy clearly said somethings.
How do you investigate an issue when the main subject is dead.
The others will simply deny it. It's common knowledge. Especially now that it involves death.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Oche211(m): 5:09am On Dec 02, 2021
habsydiamond:
They are trying to cover their ass wey don expose already... If those mentioned were not cultists then why did he mention their names.. What transpire between them Were they buying and selling Dem won cover this one up oo
It's just a clear cover here.
One thing the school should realize is that the cult guys involved will deny it since the boy is dead, other students will be afraid to speak up due to fear of being attacked or killled

30 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by fidelmarshal199: 5:13am On Dec 02, 2021
I don't know if I'm not normal because it seems I'm the only one that seems to agree with this version of the story. It seems valid. RIP to the boy

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Oche211(m): 5:43am On Dec 02, 2021
fidelmarshal199:
I don't know if I'm not normal because it seems I'm the only one that seems to agree with this version of the story. It seems valid. RIP to the boy

This version of the story is not valid.
On the 21st of November, the story said the boy was injured while playing football.
What was the nature of the injury, which part of his body was injured?

22nd, he went back to the sick bay to complain of hip injury.
The doctor called his mom to come pick him up for further medical attention.
The next day 23rd, the doctor called his mom again.
This means the case was serious.

X-ray said there was nothing wrong according to the story.

But the boy's brother gave the full names of the students involved. Who gave him the names?
See, the boy clearly told his elder bro or uncle what happened. As big bros, we know when to get the truth from our kid bros especially when it comes to this issues of bullying.
Who interviewed the boys and cleared them? Obviously, no right thinking person will admit to this before the school management especially now that the boy is dead.

I still see this statement by the school as a cover up.

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by mejai(m): 6:42am On Dec 02, 2021
Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by mejai(m): 6:42am On Dec 02, 2021
Can't the parents speak out?
Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by TeeGentle(m): 6:43am On Dec 02, 2021
dat thing may be spiritual

2 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by kingthreat(m): 6:45am On Dec 02, 2021
Let police enter the matter abeg

3 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by ekineme: 6:49am On Dec 02, 2021
In my opinion, the boy was told by the bullies what to say, it is possible the incident happened during football exercise, if you are conversant with boarding school environment you will know the confrontation might have Happened while they are using the football game to disguise.

Secondly the boy out of fear because of intimidation won't tell the parents what transpired. The only person that can unravel the truth is the elder brother. Elder brothers especially the ones that attended boarding school can easily get the truth out of the boy.

The school authority should know activities like this one often take place among boarding student and highly confidential, the the only way they can get the truth is not by questioning the boys mentioned but by introducing an insider to blend among and become the ear of the school authority in the hostel.

Bullying in hostels are under reported, usually it's a clique but due to rot in the society they are now bold enough to present themselves as cultist just to create more fear and respect.

The school has work to do and it's applicable to all boarding house in the country.

68 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Oblongata: 7:05am On Dec 02, 2021
This smells like a cover up! He had those injuries during a football match? Secondary school cultists use football matches for initiation, bullying, etc this will help to cover up whatever rubbish they are doing. I think that the school have not had a thorough investigation and are only after saving the school’s name. I absolutely agree with @ ekineme

19 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Maxymilliano(m): 7:07am On Dec 02, 2021
12 years old kid wasted just like that .. I doubt if I will ever recovered from this as a parent cry cry

7 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:22am On Dec 02, 2021
HelloWriter:

Well at least that's what the angry brother said. Not verified!

And even if the boy did, what was the context he used while mentioning the names?

Was he under some ailment or medication that made him hallucinate?

These questions are begging for answers before we decide to hang the school to the gallows.

On the side: some people get money for this country ooo . To train five children in such an expensive school is not a joke at all!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by MVLOX(m): 7:32am On Dec 02, 2021
Sometimes we are too quick to react after hearing one side of the story...

3 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Lamanii22(f): 7:45am On Dec 02, 2021
Maxymilliano:
12 years old kid wasted just like that .. I doubt if I will ever recovered from this as a parent cry cry

I can't recover from this

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by aimmoney9: 7:48am On Dec 02, 2021
Rip
Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by OnyeObodo: 8:14am On Dec 02, 2021
The school management may just be trying to save face. Horrible people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Harddiskng(m): 8:18am On Dec 02, 2021
Poor boy cry Thank God the Principal was dutiful in carry out his/her responsibility and calling the parents severally.

If he/she had procrastinated it would have been another matter. Being diligent and doing things timely can save anyone a ton of headache.

3 Likes

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by DropsMic(m): 8:26am On Dec 02, 2021
RIP to the kid

1 Like

Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Lemmy123(m): 8:26am On Dec 02, 2021
Eweeeyyyy!

It appears the still it trying hard not to look nonchalant about the welfare of their children especially as this one involves death and could pose a huge discomfort to them well the populace heard about it and TVC News starts to carry it... But they are failing at it, the cover up is poorly done..
I have nothing to say them RIP young Champ!

By the way, Nigerian girls can't hold a conversation
Re: Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student by Unibener: 8:28am On Dec 02, 2021
Wahala

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Did You Spend On Your Final Year Project? / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? / 300-Level FUTA Student Commits Suicide In Ondo (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.