Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? (621 Views)

Buhari’s People Are Not Making Things Easier For His Successor, Nigerians - Sani / Nigeria Lost Not Making Osinbajo President – Ex-Kano Emir, Sanusi / NBS Statistics Shows We’re Making Progress – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by AlaafinOfOyo: 8:32pm On Dec 02, 2021
Why is it that the last time we saw real progress in this country was when the colonialists were ruling us? Why are we, as Africans incapable of ruling ourselves? I asked myself this question and the answer came: It is the same reason why Nairaland is a mess.
I came across a topic about Ajayi Crowther's visit to Igbo land and expected to see people analyze the beautiful history, but what I encountered was the usual rubbish spewed on Nairaland. It became obvious to me that the reason Nigeria is not developed is actually the quality of the majority of humans that make up the country.
I belong to a number of foreign forums and I assure you that the sanity seen on those forums is refreshing. What is wrong with Nigerians? I really believe that this country started on a wrong footing or was never designed to make progress. It's just as if while other countries are made up of humans, we have something else around here. If you have nothing to contribute, why not allow sensible people do so while you learn? Is this forum meant for humans or animals?
So intelligent people cannot even have the opportunity to contribute their ideas the way we cannot give capable people opportunity to lead the country because the bandits and the lawless take center stage? Nairaland moderators ought to be ashamed of themselves by allowing entropy thrive. Nigeria cannot be a disgrace on all fronts. I suggest that the owners of this site visit foreign forums and see how sanity is enforced.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Kriss216: 8:34pm On Dec 02, 2021
Nigeria wasn't designed to make progress.

If you have means to leave, leave now!

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Emergingnation(m): 8:36pm On Dec 02, 2021
She is cursed, total Desintegration is the only way out

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 02, 2021
AlaafinOfOyo:
Why is it that the last time we saw real progress in this country was when the colonialists were ruling us?

That's not true...90% of our universites,primary and secondary schools, 90% of our highways, and most of our infrastructure was built after independence.

As an example..by 1960, to get to Onitsha from Asaba, you needed a ferry. By 1965, there was a bridge.

Why are we, as Africans incapable of ruling ourselves? I asked myself this question and the answer came: It is the same reason why Nairaland is a mess.

Well, most African countries have been ruled by Africans for years, even under colonial rule, most of the day to day running of stuff was done by Africans self.

I came across a topic about Ajayi Crowther's visit to Igbo land and expected to see people analyze the beautiful history, but what I encountered was the usual rubbish spewed on Nairaland. It became obvious to me that the reason Nigeria is not develop-ed is actually the quality of the majority of people that make up the country.

It's called the Internet, and it brings out the worst in people (and I speak as someone who has been on it for over 10 years).

I belong to a number of foreign forums and I assure you that the sanity seen on those forums is refreshing.

That's because you have been on the tip of the iceberg.

Try lurking around some fora like Yahoo forums, which were filled with toxic matter, till they were shut down in 2020. Or some other forums. Even some of the 'decent' forums can get knocked off by drama...then there are some Facebook and Instagram threads...

Seriously, you need to look more at certain forums....

You also haven't been on some American political fora...especially when it's election time, or controversial cases time....you will almost think that the US is going to fight a civil war in minutes....

What is wrong with Nigerians? I really believe that this country started on a wrong footing or was never designed to make progress. It's just as if while other countries are made up of humans, we have something else around here. If you have nothing to contribute, why not allow sensible people do so while you learn? Nairaland moderators ought to be ashamed of themselves by allowing entropy thrive. Nigeria cannot be a disgrace on all fronts. I suggest that the owners of this site visit foreign forums and see how sanity is enforced.

Well, you can use the Report button to report offensive comments, and you can even write or mail the moderators directly, and they usually respond (Have done so, and they always did the needful).

Keep in mind that this site too also does have a commitment to free speech....so they have to balance that with 'moderation'

Finally, don't let birds build nests in your head, and don't invite them to do so. Using the IGNORE button works.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:46pm On Dec 02, 2021
Because we were not meant to be one right from day one, we are way to different from each other just that the elites are forcing this "one Nigeria" stuff down everybody's throat.

As a matter of fact, there's no way someone that equates the life of a cow to that of a human will reason like a human being. NO WAY!

The Disintegration Of Nigeria Will Save Millions Of Lives

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 02, 2021
All this na long talk, you're using the most reverend yoruba monarch as moniker and you are complaining of tribalism.

How to identity ibo 101

There are two type of them, those that look for trouble

Those that come with cock and bull stories when you must have hammer them will facts and KO

DONT FALL FOR IT
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by joyandfaith: 8:58pm On Dec 02, 2021
1. We got independence prematurely. There were few technocrats to man the country.
2. We severed tie with uk when we became Republic in 1963. Queen was replaced with President as Head of government. Barbados did similar thing 3 days ago after 55 years of attaining independence. We should have left Queen as head of government for at least 2 decades before removing her.
3. 1966 coup, counter-coup and civil war finally destroyed the country. There was no national healing and reconciliation after the war.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by makemoneywbsite: 9:01pm On Dec 02, 2021
SlyDev:
All this na long talk, you're using the most reverend yoruba monarch as moniker and you complaining of tribalism.

How to identity ibo 101

You're among the low IQ people he's complaining about. All of you 30k zombies are messing up the forum. Just see how irrelevant and useless your contribution is - sign of an empty brain. Anyway, which intelligent person will take up a $10/month job to shill stupidity?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 02, 2021
makemoneywbsite:

You're among the low IQ people he's complaining about. All of you 30k zombies are messing up the forum. Just see how irrelevant and useless your contribution is - sign of an empty brain. Anyway, which intelligent person will take up a $10/month job to shill stupidity?

You will insult Yoruba morning and evening but when yoruba respond you get offended sad

I don't blame you, I blame yoruba pdp that have allow rubbish in Yorubaland.

Igbo always thinking fantasy equal reality
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Reflect7: 9:21pm On Dec 02, 2021
AlaafinOfOyo:
Why is it that the last time we saw real progress in this country was when the colonialists were ruling us? ....

I stopped reading your trash here.

This statement shows you are a completely brainwashed dunce with nothing upstairs.

Are you aware that Nigeria's FIRST power plant was Kainji Dam, commissioned by the Tafawa Balewa administration in 1964?

Prior to that, your white gods imported industrial generators to power Ikoyi and the various GRAs where their fellow whites were staying.

The rest of Nigeria used candles and lamps till independence. They couldn't even use generators because there was no national grid. No wiring, and no knowledge of wiring.

The whites built not ONE full fledged university in their 80 year rule.

Today, courtesy of black rule, we have 200+ universities.

Literacy rate was 5% at independence.

Today it is 75% and rising, courtesy of black rule.

In 1960, no road led to your village. You had to park at the nearest road and then walk on footpaths, sometimes for days, before reaching your village.

Today, courtesy of black rule, everywhere, including the most remote hamlet, has been opened up to vehicular traffic.

Until you dumb, stupid Nigerian slaves stop worshiping your white colonial oppressors and learn to respect and appreciate your own selves and the progress you've made, you will continue being the laughing stock of the entire universe.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Rexwalters1: 10:12pm On Dec 02, 2021
Reflect7:

This statement shows you are a completely brainwashed dunce with nothing upstairs.

Are you aware that Nigeria's FIRST power plant was Kainji Dam, commissioned by the Tafawa Balewa administration in 1964?

Prior to that, your white gods imported industrial generators to power Ikoyi and the various GRAs where their fellow whites were staying.

The rest of Nigeria used candles and lamps till independence. They couldn't even use generators because there was no national grid. No wiring, and no knowledge of wiring.

In 1960, no road led to your village. You had to park at the nearest road and then walk on footpaths, sometimes for days, before reaching your village.

Today, courtesy of black rule, everywhere, including the most remote hamlet, has been opened up to vehicular traffic.

Until you dumb, stupid Nigerian slaves stop worshiping your white colonial oppressors and learn to respect and appreciate your own selves and the progress you've made, you will continue being the laughing stock of the entire universe.

Half lies?

Electricity generation in Nigeria began in Lagos in 1886 with the use of generators to provide 60 kilowatts.

In 1923 tin miners installed a 2 MW plant on the Kwali River, six years later, the Nigerian Electricity Supply Company, a private firm was established near Jos to manage an hydro-electric plant at Kura to power the mining industry.

Then another private enterprise was established in Sapele by United Africa Company to power the activities of African Timber and Plywood Company.

Between 1886 and 1945, electric power generation was rather low with power provided largely to Lagos and other commercial centres such as mining industries in Jos and Enugu.

The colonial government created an electricity department within the Public Works Department which then installed generating sets in many cities to serve government reservation areas and commercial centers.

In 1950, the Legislative Council of Nigeria began moves to integrate the electricity industry when it enacted a law to establish the Electricity Corporation of Nigeria with the duties of developing and supplying electricity.

ECN took over the electricity sector activities within PWD and the generating sets of Native Authorities. In 1951, the firm managed 46 megawatts of electricity.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Rexwalters1: 10:17pm On Dec 02, 2021
Reflect7:

Liar:
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in 1955. UNN is the first indigenous university in Nigeria located in Nsukka, Enugu State, Eastern region of Nigeria. Modelled upon the American educational system, UNN is the first self–governing university in Nigeria

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Indianan: 10:19pm On Dec 02, 2021
Reflect7:

And you actually think that you made sense more than the OP? Just posit that your level of intelligence is well below par to comprehend his line of thought instead of sounding didactic and fooling yourself. I think you're among those incapable of comprehension when issues that demand intellect are discussed: the very type of people the OP alluded to. All the mundane things you mentioned are not "real progress" in the REAL sense because they're nothing compared to what the whitemen are capable of accomplishing if their trend and standard was maintained by native rulers. Do you think this country wouldn't be like Europe/far East Asia/North America if the Europeans were still in charge? In 80 years, you're counting universities, turbines for electricity and sub-standard roads built all across the place as progress. Are you aware that having sub-standard universities all over the place that your government barely fund is no progress? Are you aware that I cannot even present a LoC from your Nigerian bank to many banks abroad? Progress indeed. You Nigerians sef. The OP is very right. You people are so used to mediocrity that you move in circles believing you're going somewhere.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Ikinternational: 10:25pm On Dec 02, 2021
Tribalism nepotism corruption selfishness no love for country

Nigeria being a highly religious country is a big facade.
Pure eye service

They say Allah n God just as easily as they say rice n beans. Absolutely no meaning behind it
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by gidgiddy: 11:43pm On Dec 02, 2021
As I always say, the story of Nigeria is the disaster of Bringing Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa-Fulani under one political roof called Nigeria

It was like bringing a wolf, a Jackal and a Fox together to live in a house because they belong to the Dig family and they would get along. Once the owner of the house left the house, all three Dogs tore themselves apart because they are incompatible

Same thing happened, and is still happening to the three main tribes in Nigeria

There can never be any peace or progress when you bring 3 incompatible people together
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by AfonjaConehead: 11:56pm On Dec 02, 2021
Get the north out and see progress.

Also people who keep bringing the north to power are more of a problem as well

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by babasolution: 12:37am On Dec 03, 2021
joyandfaith:
1. We got independence prematurely. There were few technocrats to man the country.
2. We severed tie with uk when we became Republic in 1963. Queen was replaced with President as Head of government. Barbados did similar thing 3 days ago after 55 years of attaining independence. We should have left Queen as head of government for at least 2 decades before removing her.
3. 1966 coup, counter-coup and civil war finally destroyed the country. There was no national healing and reconciliation after the war.

Slave people
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by babasolution: 12:41am On Dec 03, 2021
Indianan:

And you actually think that you made sense more than the OP? Just posit that your level of intelligence is well below par to comprehend his line of thought instead of sounding didactic and fooling yourself. I think you're among those incapable of comprehension when issues that demand intellect are discussed: the very type of people the OP alluded to. All the mundane things you mentioned are not "real progress" in the REAL sense because they're nothing compared to what the whitemen are capable of accomplishing if their trend and standard was maintained by native rulers. Do you think this country wouldn't be like Europe/far East Asia/North America if the Europeans were still in charge? In 80 years, you're counting universities, turbines for electricity and sub-standard roads built all across the place as progress. Are you aware that having sub-standard universities all over the place that your government barely fund is no progress? Are you aware that I cannot even present a LoC from your Nigerian bank to many banks abroad? Progress indeed. You Nigerians sef. The OP is very right. You people are so used to mediocrity that you move in circles believing you're going somewhere.

Nigeria would surely have been developed but I tell you,you would not benefit from that development, the highest position you will get is serving the whites tea while you living in a ghetto,
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by NewsForYou: 1:06am On Dec 03, 2021
Rexwalters1:
Half lies?

Electricity generation in Nigeria began in Lagos in 1886 with the use of generators to provide 60 kilowatts.

In 1923 tin miners installed a 2 MW plant on the Kwali River, six years later, the Nigerian Electricity Supply Company, a private firm was established near Jos to manage an hydro-electric plant at Kura to power the mining industry.

Then another private enterprise was established in Sapele by United Africa Company to power the activities of African Timber and Plywood Company.

Between 1886 and 1945, electric power generation was rather low with power provided largely to Lagos and other commercial centres such as mining industries in Jos and Enugu.

The colonial government created an electricity department within the Public Works Department which then installed generating sets in many cities to serve government reservation areas and commercial centers.

In 1950, the Legislative Council of Nigeria began moves to integrate the electricity industry when it enacted a law to establish the Electricity Corporation of Nigeria with the duties of developing and supplying electricity.

ECN took over the electricity sector activities within PWD and the generating sets of Native Authorities. In 1951, the firm managed 46 megawatts of electricity.
I swear you didn’t have to quote the comment. You said they installed light where they mine meaning every other persons used candle. Is that not what the person you called liar is saying?
It was after independence that the infrastructure started. Both road and light including universities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by joyandfaith: 5:26am On Dec 03, 2021
babasolution:

Slave people

Free people what have you achieved in your life?
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by VaselineCrew: 7:39am On Dec 03, 2021
Reflect7:

Yet I’m sure that when you took a bath this morning, it was either tanker water or borehole water that you used.

Ordinary pipeborne water, you haven’t seen, yet you feel you are making progress.

Bro, I’m talking about water, just water.

Look at all houses in lekki fitted with borehole left and right. Even an apartment in banana island, I witnessed when water tanker came to supply them water.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Agricmoney(m): 9:24am On Dec 03, 2021
A country would work if the mindset of everyone changes from the least one to the top and not waiting for those at the top to change.The power is embedded in the lower individuals and not the higher ones as widely speculated by everyone that's why during elections they come to the nooks and crannies of the places neglected to seek for their votes cause they have the power to do and undo but funny enough, the lower individuals don't know it. In conclusion, being bonded in love and honesty, a country would not only grow but soar to a greater height.

Anyway, Agriculture is life
Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by Tianamen1: 10:16am On Dec 03, 2021
backbencher:

That's not true...90% of our universites,primary and secondary schools, 90% of our highways, and most of our infrastructure was built after independence.

As an example..by 1960, to get to Onitsha from Asaba, you needed a ferry. By 1965, there was a bridge.

Well, most African countries have been ruled by Africans for years, even under colonial rule, most of the day to day running of stuff was done by Africans self.

It's called the Internet, and it brings out the worst in people (and I speak as someone who has been on it for over 10 years).

That's because you have been on the tip of the iceberg.

Try lurking around some fora like Yahoo forums, which were filled with toxic matter, till they were shut down in 2020. Or some other forums. Even some of the 'decent' forums can get knocked off by drama...then there are some Facebook and Instagram threads...

Seriously, you need to look more at certain forums....

You also haven't been on some American political fora...especially when it's election time, or controversial cases time....you will almost think that the US is going to fight a civil war in minutes....

Well, you can use the Report button to report offensive comments, and you can even write or mail the moderators directly, and they usually respond (Have done so, and they always did the needful).

Keep in mind that this site too also does have a commitment to free speech....so they have to balance that with 'moderation'

Finally, don't let birds build nests in your head, and don't invite them to do so. Using the IGNORE button works.

Please what was the per capita income then versus now?
since 1980, we are at the same level.

What was the income inequality then versus now? either nothing has changed or things have gotten worse.

roads that do not spur productivity or create costs savings are useless. same goes for universities.

https://www.oxfam.org/en/nigeria-extreme-inequality-numbers

Re: Why Is Nigeria Not Making Progress? by makemoneywbsite: 6:03pm On Dec 03, 2021
Tianamen1:

Please what was the per capita income then versus now?
since 1980, we are at the same level.

What was the income inequality then versus now? either nothing has changed or things have gotten worse.

roads that do not spur productivity or create costs savings are useless. same goes for universities.

https://www.oxfam.org/en/nigeria-extreme-inequality-numbers
That's interesting data. So no movement despite much activity.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Don't Expect More From Buhari You Are Whipping A Dead Horse - Olusegun Obasanjo / Return Nigeria To Regionalism Before 2023 Polls — OPC Tells Buhari / Insecurity: Fulani And Muslims In Europe Demonstrate Against Buhari And APC (vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.