Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections (18652 Views)

Jega, Onaiyekan To Buhari: Nigerians Battling With Double Sufferings / John Onaiyekan: Nigeria 'uninhabitable' For Young People / John Onaiyekan: Nigeria 'uninhabitable' For Young People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Adabestseason(m): 12:51pm On Dec 04, 2021
My problem with Nigerian religious leaders is that when money is not flowing from the government circles into their pockets you see them threatening everybody including Jehovah the creator,the local government system that governors has destroyed had never occurred to them that it is part of the insecurity in Nigeria,judiciary system that handle a corruption case for more than 4 years is part of insecurity,Clergy that does not hear from God contributes immensely to insecurity,why is it that only clergies from a particular region are so clairvoyant about disintegration before 2023 if not for politics(OUR TRIBE MAN MUST BE THERE NIGERIAN POLITICS).But if it is God Nigeria will surely disintegrate before 2023 if it is not God some clergies in the country will surely be classified,
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by mu2sa2: 12:53pm On Dec 04, 2021
Skybridge33:
Okay. Hopefully soon let everyone go their separate way
A fantastically stupid idea. Into how many countries is Nigeria to be split when you have 230 ethnic groups, 776 local govts and 36 states. The igbos are already fighting dirty over biafra, with ebonyi opting never, ever to be part of it on grounds of discrimination by other igbos.
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Bennysam: 12:54pm On Dec 04, 2021
ShobayoEmma:
When we split, we can then face the consequences of splitting.

Nigeria as a single entity is not working and it's not even showing any symptoms of working in any distance future. So where is the sense of continue living in the fear of splitting?

Lord have mercy.
Let's split first before complaining and besides there's no consequence that will come after split. You are just afraid of suffering you and your tribe will suffer

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Litmus: 12:55pm On Dec 04, 2021
There's not yet such a thing as free and fair elections in any part of the world among the loosing constituent. Free and fair elections is a replacement phrase for 'you won the election'.

Some 'experts' abroad believe Blockchain technology may help humanity achieve genuine Free and Fair elections even if the objective satisfied does nothing to change the human sentiments above.
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by freeborn02: 12:57pm On Dec 04, 2021
Aufbauh:
I can't factor why people who are supposed to be carriers of good news, hope and bright future has turned their selves to doomsday preachers & naysayers.
May Nigeria succeed.

Can you point out a good news about Nigeria government today?

You want people to keep quiet while your uselss president continues destroying the country?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by kjhova(m): 12:57pm On Dec 04, 2021
backbencher:
Nigeria is not going to split for the following reasons (my opinion)

1.The minority tribes don't want Nigeria to split. Sure, most minority tribes are not enjoying Nigeria, but splitting Nigeria leaves them exposed to the rapacious bigger tribes. No thanks.

2.The elite don't want Nigeria to split...especially those with business interests across the country

3.The political class don't want Nigeria to split. No chances to loot.

4.International community too doesn't want Nigeria to split...because 1) higher oil prices 2) refugees swarming their countries....

5.Even most secessionists on this site don't want Nigeria to split. They back secessionists because they want to scare the North out of power, not because they want to leave Nigeria.(Wait till election starts, and 90% of the Biafranists and OOduaists will be backing PDP. E get why.)

6.As one recent article on banditry reveals, the bandits themselves are not one unified group, fight among themselves, and create more problems for themselves than the country.

7.Did I mention that most secessionists don't want Nigeria to split, and that most of them are more interested in their side winning the power game, than secession? Secession to them is a last card to play when all hope is lost.

8. Splitting Nigeria now, is not as clear cut as it was in 1966-7. Old Biafra is split into two, and the South SOuth wants resource control, rather than splitting up

9.As much as Ibos and Yorubas scream loud and clear about 'WE CAN SURVIVE ON OUR OWN' the fact is, in the event of a split, and in the event of the South South refusing to join either side...the fact is, (and you can abuse me all day long, but facts is facts)...Iboland and Yoruba land cannot survive without oil money...and are just dependent on oil money as the Hausas, and the Middle Belt.

Or where do you think Ibo and Yoruba states get most of their revenue for budget from (apart from Lagos)? OIL MONEY.(Or why do you think no Southern governor stood up to contradict El Rufai when he made the comment about subsidy needing to go or governors won't have money for their budgets next year? If Southern states were standing on their own financially, they would have said that he is on his own. Their silence shows they agree with him).

10. Most of Nigeria does not rely on export of industrial products to survive. Thus in the event of a split, all the new countries, apart from the South South, would end up relying on agriculture...and even if the SOuth south goes with Biafra...oil. All these commodites have one thing in common...the price of all of them is set elsewhere.

And that means, that at the end of the day, Oodua and Biafra are going to be as debt ridden as many African countries. You think I am lying? Most African countries that 'rely on agriculture' are in debt, some even higher than Nigeria's own.

And even if Biafra gets 'the oil' with the SOuth south...the same thing applies. At the end...Biafra would be debt ridden.

We haven't talked about the North. Sure the North has 'mineral and agricultural resources...but at the end of the day, who is setting the international prices for all these resources? They don't live in Kaduna, and Sokoto, that's what I know.

11. Let's even talk about agriculture. Less than 10% of our agric is mechanized. If we want to compete on the international market....we would have a real battle on our hands. We won't get the right international price of our agric goods. Western farms, with their tech, better soils , better soil management, better farming practice, would run us into the ground.

Remember that most African countries who 'rely on agriculture' are debt ridden. (Ghana has a debt of 26 billion dollars, Burkina 4 billion dollars,Kenya 35.9 billion dollars)

12. In the event of a split...there would be war. And anyone who tells me otherwise should go and rest. There is going to be a fight over resources , and it would be neverending.

13. Of course, any new nation arising from Nigeria, in ten years is going to be broke and poor, is what I am trying to say.

Nigeria is a contraption, but the alternatives are far far worse.

Every serious think-tank in and outside Nigeria that have looked at this split business have all come up with the very scenarios you painted up here. It is only the emotional, unthinking lot mostly from Southern Nigeria who suggest otherwise.

There is no fine line to divided Nigeria with. It will surely end in a war or series of wars... bloody, never-ending and gory war!

At the end of the day, even the most successful of the successor nations will only be marginally better off than Nigeria while most will be poorer! Eritrea, Somaliland and South Sudan remain perfect near age examples. We will end up with a set of Togos and Congos only less peaceful and possibly poorer!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by yetunsbay(m): 12:57pm On Dec 04, 2021
Baba shut up u be part of the prob
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by RepoMan007: 12:59pm On Dec 04, 2021
Aufbauh:
I can't factor why people who are supposed to be carriers of good news, hope and bright future has turned their selves to doomsday preachers & naysayers.
May Nigeria succeed.
Religious leaders cannot and should not replace good tidings with lies. When the govt of Israel was misfiring, the old testament prophets fired them appropriately.

1 Like

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Validated: 1:02pm On Dec 04, 2021
backbencher:

1.The minority tribes don't want Nigeria to split. Sure, most minority tribes are not enjoying Nigeria, but splitting Nigeria leaves them exposed to the rapacious bigger tribes. No thanks.

2.The elite don't want Nigeria to split...especially those with business interests across the country

4.International community too doesn't want Nigeria to split...because 1) higher oil prices 2) refugees swarming their countries....

5.Even most secessionists on this site don't want Nigeria to split. They back secessionists because they want to scare the North out of power, not because they want to leave Nigeria.(Wait till election starts, and 90% of the Biafranists and OOduaists will be backing PDP. E get why.)

6.As one recent article on banditry reveals, the bandits themselves are not one unified group, fight among themselves, and create more problems for themselves than the country.

7.Did I mention that most secessionists don't want Nigeria to split, and that most of them are more interested in their side winning the power game, than secession? Secession to them is a last card to play when all hope is lost.

8. Splitting Nigeria now, is not as clear cut as it was in 1966-7. Old Biafra is split into two, and the South SOuth wants resource control, rather than splitting up

9.As much as Ibos and Yorubas scream loud and clear about 'WE CAN SURVIVE ON OUR OWN' the fact is, in the event of a split, and in the event of the South South refusing to join either side...the fact is, (and you can abuse me all day long, but facts is facts)...Iboland and Yoruba land cannot survive without oil money...and are just dependent on oil money as the Hausas, and the Middle Belt.

Or where do you think Ibo and Yoruba states get most of their revenue for budget from (apart from Lagos)? OIL MONEY.(Or why do you think no Southern governor stood up to contradict El Rufai when he made the comment about subsidy needing to go or governors won't have money for their budgets next year? If Southern states were standing on their own financially, they would have said that he is on his own. Their silence shows they agree with him).

10. Most of Nigeria does not rely on export of industrial products to survive. Thus in the event of a split, all the new countries, apart from the South South, would end up relying on agriculture...and even if the SOuth south goes with Biafra...oil. All these commodites have one thing in common...the price of all of them is set elsewhere.

And that means, that at the end of the day, Oodua and Biafra are going to be as debt ridden as many African countries. You think I am lying? Most African countries that 'rely on agriculture' are in debt, some even higher than Nigeria's own.

And even if Biafra gets 'the oil' with the SOuth south...the same thing applies. At the end...Biafra would be debt ridden.

We haven't talked about the North. Sure the North has 'mineral and agricultural resources...but at the end of the day, who is setting the international prices for all these resources? They don't live in Kaduna, and Sokoto, that's what I know.

11. Let's even talk about agriculture. Less than 10% of our agric is mechanized. If we want to compete on the international market....we would have a real battle on our hands. We won't get the right international price of our agric goods. Western farms, with their tech, better soils , better soil management, better farming practice, would run us into the ground.

Remember that most African countries who 'rely on agriculture' are debt ridden. (Ghana has a debt of 26 billion dollars, Burkina 4 billion dollars,Kenya 35.9 billion dollars)

12. In the event of a split...there would be war. And anyone who tells me otherwise should go and rest. There is going to be a fight over resources , and it would be neverending.

13. Of course, any new nation arising from Nigeria, in ten years is going to be broke and poor, is what I am trying to say.

Your points are myopic. Why, because you are using what operates now to expartiate what would happen if these entities separate. It is just like a wife who is scared of what to live if she loses her husband. When she finally loses her husband, then she would realize that she has many unutilized potentials. My question you is do you even know that Iboland holds a huge reserve of untapped natural gas? Assuming you take away natural resources, have you ever imagined that countries like Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Israel, etc have little ir no natural resources? Yet, they play in the big league. Oil is the cause of Nigeria's laziness. Everyone wakes up and depend on Abuja to share resources. If there are no resources to share, the ingenuity of the human person comes to the fore, so quit SS oil theorem. Just so you know, I am SS, from Delta State but we benefit nothing from the oil, only name as oil producing with nothing to show for it, rather devastation, pollution, strife and military siege. The only gain I got from the oil resource was one-time bursary award by Gov Ibru. Never received a dime from Nigeria government all through primary to post-graduate education, never even been employed by Nigerian state, except NYSC, yet we are oil producing state Left to me, let oil become like coal, useless! Those plundering the resources are the ones afraid of break up. Break up, it is a matter of time. Just know it!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by legba1(m): 1:06pm On Dec 04, 2021
In the case of Nigerian breaking up, Yorubas will suffer the most....yeah you heard me right..

We are the backstabbers the will not cooperate with each other's...

We also have a rich combo of some reasonable and unreasonable xtians and Muslims.....as a result, we would have divergent opinions,ambitions and interests.

Some of you may deride me,but base on experience of over 40yrs, Yorubas will have the most turbulent time settling down

1 Like

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 04, 2021
Biafrarep:

You're not being realistic, stop fantasizing!
Yorubas can only have Lagos if Nigeria breaks up, same applies to North/Middle belt with Abuja!

Go and check your history, Lagos even used to be an independent region separate from Western region!

The oil and gas in Igboland and SS will never be enjoyed 100% by the owners except Nigeria breaks up completely. Even in the first republic, the regions were paying certain percentage to the central government from resources in their domain.

Never support something that will put you in serious disadvantage!

If you check same history very well, 'Lagos' then consisted only of Lagos Island, Ikoyi, V.I and parts of Apapa. Every other part of Lagos as you know it today was part and parcel of the Western region.

2 Likes

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Panda7(m): 1:17pm On Dec 04, 2021
actually the problem of the country is not if they are splitting up soon but how to get rid of hardship and building a future for every citizen
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Litmus: 1:24pm On Dec 04, 2021
backbencher:

Lol, your point no 11 was even on the optimistic side. Majority of Nigerians may not know that even as OPEC is labelled an Oil Cartel, there is in fact an actual Agriculture Cartel and it is controlled by the West. This Agriculture Cartel locks African nations out of fair trade. The Cartel dictate terms by which African nations may farm and participate in the international market. African farmers can't creat market for produce they may decide upon due to freewill or dictate of thire climate or soil. Africans have to grow what the West dictates and never naturally at a better quality than the West since quality control is one of the underlying tools used by the West as part of the Cartel's controls. It enables the West to force African nations to farm same types of crops. This then creates a glut that drives down the price of the produce in the international market. In a stark way, Cash Crop Agriculture becomes for Africa nations, an instrument of enslavement to the West.
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Champneys: 1:27pm On Dec 04, 2021
Fine.
Make everybody go them way abeg
I am tired. grin
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Babastrong(m): 1:29pm On Dec 04, 2021
One nigeria! amandla awetu(nothing shall discourage us). even if it was Nostradamus that said this, it would never come to pass.
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by kayusely70(m): 1:29pm On Dec 04, 2021
Redcrafton:

Liar...

You are laz* unity beggar...

Why not try a referendum like was done in Scotland...if you are so sure.

Let the referendum be supervised by UN, EU and AU, and not the type of election done in Nigeria..

...and if the people of SE say No, then I will know you are right.

...but you know they are asking to leave, not because they want the north to give them power...besides what has the north done with the power they have had, more than any other region.
You've spoken very well and reasonably too.
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by kals4luv990(m): 1:31pm On Dec 04, 2021
Aufbauh:
May Nigeria succeed.
so he should nw lie abi?oya clean ur mouth
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Hellonearth007: 1:42pm On Dec 04, 2021
Aufbauh:
May Nigeria succeed.

So u want them to lie to themselves as u all do?
Only truth can set u free
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by Andrea781: 1:43pm On Dec 04, 2021
Aufbauh:
May Nigeria succeed.
You want him to lie to make you happy right?
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by kayusely70(m): 1:45pm On Dec 04, 2021
By
Validated:

Your points are myopic. Why, because you are using what operates now to expartiate what would happen if these entities separate. It is just like a wife who is scared of what to live if she loses her husband. When she finally loses her husband, then she would realize that she has many unutilized potentials. My question you is do you even know that Iboland holds a huge reserve of untapped natural gas? Assuming you take away natural resources, have you ever imagined that countries like Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Israel, etc have little ir no natural resources? Yet, they play in the big league. Oil is the cause of Nigeria's laziness. Everyone wakes up and depend on Abuja to share resources. If there are no resources to share, the ingenuity of the human person comes to the fore, so quit SS oil theorem. Just so you know, I am SS, from Delta State but we benefit nothing from the oil, only name as oil producing with nothing to show for it, rather devastation, pollution, strife and military siege. The only gain I got from the oil resource was one-time bursary award by Gov Ibru. Never received a dime from Nigeria government all through primary to post-graduate education, never even been employed by Nigerian state, except NYSC, yet we are oil producing state Left to me, let oil become like coal, useless! Those plundering the resources are the ones afraid of break up. Break up, it is a matter of time. Just know it!
Words of wisdom!

1 Like

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by gannod(m): 2:09pm On Dec 04, 2021
Aufbauh:
May Nigeria succeed.

But those who are saddled with the responsibility of securing the Country should continue with their ineptitudeness? The man has said the truth regardless of whose ox is gored. The politicians should make amends or the consequences of their actions/inactions will consume the Country.
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by seyz91(m): 2:10pm On Dec 04, 2021
I tell.you
thesicilian:
Anything that can separate us from the cancerous North is welcome

2 Likes

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by AntonVince: 2:17pm On Dec 04, 2021
Aufbauh:
May Nigeria succeed.

What in today's Nigeria portends "hope and a bright future" ?

...and what's doomsday preaching and naysaying about the likelihood the peoples of an obviously failed nation going their separate ways?
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by bluefilm: 2:29pm On Dec 04, 2021
Good news.
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by vibratingpenis: 2:36pm On Dec 04, 2021
Aufbauh:
May Nigeria succeed.

So he shouldn't air his opinion because it is different from what you want to hear?

1 Like

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by vibratingpenis: 2:42pm On Dec 04, 2021
backbencher:

I can remember vividly that after the war that Igbos were given only 20 pounds to survive but look at them now. Your assertions of Igbos not being able to survive if they secede is fallacious cos it has been in their blood to make a green land out plain desert. Let your government just do the experiment and allow them to secede just forl10 years and see not all these talks of what your imagination is feeding you as if you are in the mind of all the Igbos.

1 Like

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by vibratingpenis: 2:46pm On Dec 04, 2021
mrvitalis:

Nah I'm igbo but let yorubas take Lagos and let middle belt take Abuja ...it's their luck

Would they share the over 160 trillion cubic of gas in Igbo land ? ... would north share sea access ?

Yes igbos would lose out but we move ...give them head start so that the over taking go sweet

Am supporting you in this, let those states go back to their owners, let every other state go and hustle for their own revenue. Some people go rather die than rather let the breast they are sucking to be removed from them.

1 Like

Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by vibratingpenis: 2:55pm On Dec 04, 2021
backbencher:

At the end of the day the new countries would be broke because

1.They rely on selling oil and gas and agriculture...whose prices they do not control, and whose prices they do not set. And I am here to tell you that the prices would never be at a level that can sustain anyone...including gas

2.Most Nigerians when they talk about 'business' think that it is all about selling imported stuff. Manufacturing....it's for the birds. (That's why your new countries would never be like South Korea. )

3.Nigerians also have a 'national cake attitude' to their economy. Split the country into how many countries...and that attitude will remain.

As an example, the reason why we don't have stable power is because, and I know people don't like hearing this...we don't want to pay the price for stable power. And I know that in the event of Biafra...Biafrans are going to ask for 'free power' or 'cheap power' because 'we have oil or we have gas, why should we suffer?'...and that's how the road to debt starts.

4.If anyone thinks that the rest of the country would let the South south alone with their oil...I've a bridge in London to sell you.

Stop thinking for biafrans like you are the spinal cord connected to their brain, this is a fatal mistake most of you do and I don't know why. We are not northerners that depend on government even to marry, no be only 20 pounds they give Igbos after seizing all their properties all over Nigeria. Most Igbos don't care about south south again and am among. Let Igbos be free and you'll see that it is this contraption with backward and barbaric islamic lazy north that is formenting all the trouble in Nigeria.
Re: John Onaiyekan: Nigeria May Split Before 2023 Elections by vibratingpenis: 2:59pm On Dec 04, 2021
thesicilian:

Suicide (bombing) is your specialty in the north. Wouldn't want to take that from you

Beautiful response, you know that their religion of pieces have engraved violence into their dna.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Uzodinma: Why Security Operatives Raided, Burnt Shops at Eke-Ututu Market / Which African Country Is Nigeria's Best Friend? / Reps Summon Emefiele Over Dollar Deposits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.