Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,300 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back (20449 Views)

Nasarawa Woman: "Why I Allowed My Teenage Son To Impregnate Me" / My Husband Doesn’t Want My Son To Come And Stay With Us / Wife Beats, Hits Her Husband But The Husband Refuses To Fight Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Karleb(m): 3:05pm On Dec 05, 2021
Parents should stop telling their children that a child of God or responsible child should not fight.

A child should be ready to defend his/herself.

Worst case, you lose a tooth or two. It's better than dying to me.
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by lenghtinny(m): 3:07pm On Dec 05, 2021
odinson1:

No matter the level of confidence a person has,it still wouldn't stop bullies from Bullying him/her. The only way to Fight back an enemy is to actually fight back. You can't ignore that bully forever because the sadistic ones would even delight in the fact that you are dying in silence. So if a bully walks up to you and hits you in the face for no good reason,hit him harder and stand your ground. Do not allow yourself to be intimidated! This world is not for the Weak,only the strong can survive so stop teaching your children to be perfect in an imperfect world.

Who has seen squid game on Netflix here? Life is exactly like squid game. You either kill or be killed,it might sound harsh but that is the REALITY of life. Stop teaching your children to be polite or to treat "People" with respect. Tell them to give respect only to whom respect is due.

My 2 cents.
You made a whole Lotta sense....

Most people feel they are entitled to respect due to age, status and so on. And when they don't get it they resort to oppression, intimidation because they think fear is the same thing respect.

2 Likes

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by ekitimanalways(m): 3:13pm On Dec 05, 2021
EdoFirstBorn:
Gave my 8 year old a switch blade and taught her how to aim for the arteries and stab pull downwards and outwards when removing the blade. I taught her all the vulnerable spots in an adult man's body, the armpit the lower inside thigh , the abdomen the neck, the diaphragm, the kidney, eye balls etc

My little princess is deadly and can protect herself. I told her how to breath deeply and take a hard punch .
Tomoe Gozen in the making. Tomoe Gozen was an onna-musha, a female warrior in pre-modern Japan.

As a single father I gotta make sure she can protect herself to an extent
Tomoe Gozen in the making. Tomoe Gozen was an onna-musha, a female warrior in pre-modern Japan.
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by femi4: 3:23pm On Dec 05, 2021
Romanoff:
Even in fighting back, your child can get killed.

Many of us here were bullies, it is a very bad behaviour and if has messed up the mental health of a lot of kids.

It has nothing to do with boarding schools cause even day school children get bullied.

It has to do with failed parenting.

I think parents should also be held accountable for the behaviours of their kids.
Advantage of day school is that the bully is not in your corner 24/7 unlike in boarding schools.

2 Likes

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by westfield: 3:25pm On Dec 05, 2021
I dont see this one as bullying asking if you have washing machine or dish washer........all you have to tell your child is he should make sure it doesnt get into his head so he doesn't start stealing because of Inferiority complex
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by brain54(m): 3:30pm On Dec 05, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I don't support this parent's approach to "fighting back" at all. undecided

Build your child's self confidence instead. Teach him to understand that his value as an individual ought not to be obtained from how much he or his parents have. Make him understand that those bullying him are instead the defective beings since they seek to find meaning by inflicting hurt on others around them. Tell your children the truth - feed them wisdom- not get them to engage in meaningless battles. undecided

Learning him to bully his bullies only makes him one of them. undecided
Seconded.!!
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Sterope(f): 3:33pm On Dec 05, 2021
I told my cousin to slam his lunch tray hard at one of his bullies. Everyone said violence is not the answer. Lol.
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by olalekan1(m): 3:40pm On Dec 05, 2021
Bullying: My first experience being bullied.

I could remember clearly how the event went even though I was just 4 years old then. Mom will go to market and come back in the evening, while she was gone, I will attend Jeleosinmi "Let house rest" Jeleosinmi was the Kindergarten class in the 80s and 90s. Parents will enroll their children between the age of 3 and 6 so as to reduce noise within the period that they are there.

In every Jeleosinmi, there will a teacher that will be teaching the children how to recite alphabets, numerals and the likes. The main objective was to prepare the children for primary education.

Since I grew up in the village, my extended families are within reach. After every Jeleosinmi class, I will stay with my paternal uncle who trade in owambe firewood and bamboo. While I stayed with him, our Jeleosinmi teacher usually see me there and he came to conclusion that my father is a firewood cutter and seller.

At the end of every Jeleosinmi class, we will sing and March out to our different location. So one day, our teacher (we use to call him honorable) change the song with lyrics that contain my name as the son of a firewood seller. As he sings the song, other children took it over from him and he did not stop them. I laughed because I did not want to show my saddening face while deep inside of me I was sad and depressed. For several days after that particular class, when other children see me, they will start singing the song.

The moral of these story is that Children can naturally bullied their mate but the blame should go to any adult that witnessed such act without calling the children to order.

There is more work to be done by parents in understanding what their kids do on daily basis. As a parent, you can secretly watch and observe your kids. Kids nowadays are smarter because they are exposed to what we were not exposed to when we were their age and this is how the trend will continue to go.

RIP Sylvester

2 Likes

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by lincs25(m): 3:59pm On Dec 05, 2021
habsydiamond:
Nothing pains a bully pass make u sound am hot blow for mouth as he is about to use that mouth to rubbish u... Next time he go rethink before he talk.
exactly, solution is hot slap and blow. I give one when I was in JSS1.

2 Likes

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Pinkzebra: 4:09pm On Dec 05, 2021
kponkedenge:

I like your spirit. Where are you based?

I'm in Lagos

1 Like

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by enonche85(m): 4:13pm On Dec 05, 2021
Oblongata:
The only effective fight against bullying is letting your child know you are always there for them and that you are their confidant and their messiah, that’s all! Always give them a listening ear, build their confidence and also make them know you will defend them no matter the situation.

Let them know their right from wrong!

Exactly!. Let them know that no matter the threat they can always talk to you.

1 Like

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Pinkzebra: 4:16pm On Dec 05, 2021
westfield:
I dont see this one as bullying asking if you have washing machine or dish washer........all you have to tell your child is he should make sure it doesnt get into his head so he doesn't start stealing because of Inferiority complex

That's is emotional intimidation and yes,.it counts for bullying. Making mockery and jest of people to the extent they feel weakened counts for bullying

1 Like

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by MartinsD12(m): 4:17pm On Dec 05, 2021
hartoyebi38:
Bullying is real and a lot of children are traumatised. One of my children came home complaining about how he was being bullied at school.

They kept on taunting him. Do you have washing machine at home? Do you have dish washer? Bla bla bla.

He was branded as inferior. I told him to fight back. We don’t have and there is no shame about it. We were then living in an environment where the light could go for two weeks without PHCN caring if there are human beings there.

So, where do we get light to run washing machine and other gadgets? More importantly, I am from Ekiti where we use ‘laulau’ and ‘kanrinkan’ to wash plates. In Ekiti, we are used to ‘olo ata’ (grinding stone) because grinding machine erodes the taste.

My grandma used ‘ogiri’ to replace maggi without apology. ‘Omi cocoa’ was our juice. The gift of my mother-in-law to my family when we got married was ‘odo’ to pounded yam on banana leàves with bush meat and vegetable to match, before the eateries hijacked it from us.

So, the secondary school mates should not goad my son into all these modern tools.

As God would have it one day, one of the bullies, a girl, came to buy frozen fish in a shop beside my house along Matogun NO ROAD, Oke-Aro (Politicians have been using the road as part of their campaign promises before democracy started in America).

Anyway, immediately the girl sighted my son, she asked “Is this your house?’ And he replied ‘Yes’. Then, she said sarcastically “Eh, so your house has no fence”. My son cried inside, that the following day, he would be ridiculed at school because his daddy’s house has no fence.

I told him, ‘There is need to cry. Where do you expect me, a journalist to get money to fence a house? When you get to the school tomorrow, call the other bullies and give the first jab, saying, “Come o, I saw this girl yesterday at their family ‘s Shoprite’. Stress it very well and once it hits the bully, she would keep quite.

Never tolerate bullies, young or old. Develop a fighting spirit. May the LORD give us all inner strength.

*Ayodele Ale is a journalist, lawyer and public affairs analyst

Source: https://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2021/12/04/bullying-i-taught-my-son-to-fight-back/
Not every child can fight , the late Sylvester seems like a quiet dude who couldn't fight it's terrible , I have seen pictures of some of his alleged killers , those evil children adult should rot in jail and die by firing squad they killed an innocent child they don't deserve to be alive
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 05, 2021

Bullying in every form is wrong.
It defeats the essence of humanity.
Unfortunately, this has become a general discourse at this time, because of the Dowen case.

We have them everywhere, even on this platform. Online bullying of adults by adults is not any better.
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 05, 2021
I have also seen lots of bullies on Nairaland.
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Nikkymagg(f): 4:29pm On Dec 05, 2021
gannod:

Your son is a confirm Ekiti boy.

cheesy cheesy cheesy wosere awe..iyan a yun lerun re. An average Ekiti boy can hardly be bullied. E si omo na ka jose. My son,who is in pry 5 recently had an altercation with his seniors in Secondary School. He stood up to them without bating an eyelid. I was just laughing when he was natrating it to me. I had to explain to him to accord them some respect but he said that does not include them chasing he and his friends off the football field.

1 Like

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by 1Sharon(f): 5:49pm On Dec 05, 2021
Kobicove:
Most bullies started our by copying adults around them undecided

Nah. Bullies will always exist in society. As long as people are perceived as weaker, they will get picked on. It's human nature to take advantage.

If someone is seen as vulnerable and timid, they will always be picked on. If it doesn't happen in school, it happens in the workplace.

1 Like

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by 1Sharon(f): 5:50pm On Dec 05, 2021
ednut1:
Our culture of oppression starts from the home. They see how kids talk to maids and gate man . Disgusting lot
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by 1Sharon(f): 5:51pm On Dec 05, 2021
EdoFirstBorn:
Gave my 8 year old a switch blade and taught her how to aim for the arteries and stab pull downwards and outwards when removing the blade. I taught her all the vulnerable spots in an adult man's body, the armpit the lower inside thigh , the abdomen the neck, the diaphragm, the kidney, eye balls etc

My little princess is deadly and can protect herself. I told her how to breath deeply and take a hard punch .

Wtf?
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Testimony1988(m): 6:01pm On Dec 05, 2021
Lol.
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 05, 2021
Me, right from school am used to bully. u bully me i bully you, nothing dey pain me atall. All my school mates know me well for throwing stone, u tell me thrash i break ur head immediately, i no get time.
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by ImaIma1(f): 6:42pm On Dec 05, 2021
Romanoff:
Even in fighting back, your child can get killed.

Many of us here were bullies, it is a very bad behaviour and if has messed up the mental health of a lot of kids.

It has nothing to do with boarding schools cause even day school children get bullied.

It has to do with failed parenting.

I think parents should also be held accountable for the behaviours of their kids.

Even on this forum...many bullies. It's not only in schools.

We went for a 40th birthday party and took our daughter along. The sons of the celebrant were bullying my daughter. She's friendly and wanted to play with them. They kept pushing her away and laughing.

I had to take her away from there and told her not to play with them. She was about 2yrs old plus and they were around 4 and 5. Very young bullies.

1 Like

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 05, 2021
GboyegaD:
Parents should live right as it makes it easy for the child to get the confidence to defend whatever the family economy is.
So parents that do not have the means should kill themselves so as to please the children of the rich like you? Better put, you should teach your child to know that all fingers are not equal.... Teach your child kindness and love, so that the milk of humanity will flow..
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Mariangeles(f): 6:56pm On Dec 05, 2021
EdoFirstBorn:

Omo! shocked
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Mariangeles(f): 7:06pm On Dec 05, 2021
Brandonx:
Parents should raise their kids to be smart and outspoken.

Even if they don’t have the strength to fight back, they should have wisdom and sharp mouth undecided

When I see a potential bully I bully them before they come @ me and that’s how I’m raising my kids.

It’s better you bring problem to me than to be a victim.

A timid child can’t go far in life .

If you were a parent to one of the kids who bullied and killed Sylvester, what would you do?
How would you handle the situation?
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by yebo: 7:12pm On Dec 05, 2021
1Sharon:

Nah. Bullies will always exist in society. As long as people are perceived as weaker, they will get picked on. It's human nature to take advantage.

If someone is seen as vulnerable and timid, they will always be picked on. If it doesn't happen in school, it happens in the workplace.

Yes, it happened in work place too, some senior staff tried to bully me at my work place but i stood my ground, they refuse to send me out for official assignment i still maintained my stand , they wanted me to worship them, i no gree, last last , they tagged me a trouble maker, a lot of staff new what they were doing was wrong but kept quiet. I fought tell physicaly and through prayers since i am not related to any senior staff, at the end , they dont even mess with me or anyyhing that concerns me, they will always say i will not agree.³
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Brandonx(m): 7:17pm On Dec 05, 2021
Mariangeles:

If you were a parent to one of the kids who bullied and killed Sylvester, what would you do?
How would you handle the situation?

I know there’s no justification for killing but do you know after everything the bully will still be alive ?

The parents would probably get a good lawyer to drag the case for years and by the time you realize it’s already a thing of the past.
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Cousin9999: 7:22pm On Dec 05, 2021
1Sharon:

Nah. I think it's a combination of things, but perhaps mainly it comes from insecurity and a person not getting the emotional support they need. People who do it "because they can" seem to suffer from mental illness (e.g. sociopath) or rētārdation. It's really only people with strong mental and emotional problems who get satisfaction out of tormenting someone.
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by SilvanusII(m): 7:38pm On Dec 05, 2021
Please own ur poverty by urself and on ur own, but don't rope all Ekitis in with u. It's disgraceful how u can say a grinding machine 'erodes' the taste. Something you saw go into the machine Talking like as if the machine hid some taste inside it and ejected uselessness.
That said, it is fine if u don't have these things. You really owe no one explanations why u don't. I don't have is I don't have. Just don't give silly reasons
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by gannod(m): 7:44pm On Dec 05, 2021
[quote author=Nikkymagg post=108238416][/quote]

Regardless of the level of 'ajebutter' of your son, you should allow your son to have that street mentality. Let him play street football with other rugged kids.( especially on Saturdays) You can stick around to watch if you are less busy. After some time, it will toughen him up.

I am not against feeding kids with all these junks but I encourage my kids to eat eba, iyan and our local dishes. They need enough energy to go about. I also make sure we watch a lot of Natgeo wild, especially about predators and prey. I used to tell them that the reasons lions hunt down bigger preys like Buffalloes is because the bufalloes refuse to take the fight to them. Above all, may God protect our kids.

1 Like

Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Kobojunkie: 8:28pm On Dec 05, 2021
BlackfireX:
Touch or bully my child..

I will tore you limb by limb in the night that when you wake up in the morning you see blood oozing out of your side...
Your parents by the time they look for solution...they will be told to caution you
If your approach is no different from those you condemn then you are a bully yourself and no better for your child. undecided
Re: Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Dec 05, 2021
coretechng1:
Fighting back is the most effective way to checkmate bullies.
if you mean having your child fight those bullies himself, that's only been proven to be effective way to checkmate bullies in the world of anime and Manga. undecided
In the real world, many children end up worse off the situation more violent. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Professor And Wife Celebrate 55th Wedding Anniversary (Photo) / Woman Welcomes Triplets A Year After Losing Her Child (Photo) / Married But Fond Of Another Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.