Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,099 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

Players With The Most Assists In Football History - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Players With The Most Assists In Football History (1866 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Scores A Hat-Trick, 2 Free Kicks & 2 Assists In Al Nassr Win / Victor Osimhen Bags Hat-Trick, 2 Assists In Napoli Debut / Players With Most Assists In Football History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Players With The Most Assists In Football History by obonujoker(m): 6:36am On Dec 06, 2021
From Lionel Messi to Angel di Maria: Know which players have provided the most assists in football history

Lionel Messi has the most assists in football. Luis Suarez, Thomas Muller, Cristiano Ronaldo and Angel di Maria make up the top five list for assist-makers.

Paris Saint-Germain forward Lionel Messi has provided the most assists in football. The Argentina captain recorded a hat-trick of assists for his new club against Saint Etienne to get his first assist in Ligue 1. With 355 assists in his career, Messi is far ahead of the second player on the list.

His hat-trick of assists for PSG was the fifth instance in his career where the six-time Ballon d'Or winner provided three assists in a single game. Furthermore, Messi also became the first player to rack up a hat-trick of assists for two different clubs, having previously done it for FC Barcelona.

Former Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil tops the list for most hat-trick assists in football. Ozil has done it on eight occasions, while another former Arsenal player Cesc Fabregas follows the German having provided a hat-trick of assists six times in his career.

Messi is also the top assist provider in the history of Spanish La Liga. The 34-year-old forward has tallied a whopping 193 assists in Spain’s top-tier football league; a number which is significantly higher than the second-placed Xavi (117) on the list.

Meanwhile, Messi’s former teammate and current Atletico Madrid frontman, Luis Suarez is joint-second on the list of most assists in football. The Uruguayan has recorded a total of 277 assists to date. Bayern Munich’s creative engine, Thomas Muller is tied alongside the Atletico forward with 277 career assists.

Five-time Ballon d’Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo is fourth on the list with 272 assists. Following the Portugal captain is his former Real Madrid teammate Angel di Maria. The PSG winger has provided 267 assists in his career.

https://www.sportsadda.com/football/features/most-assists-in-football

Most assists in football history – key numbers
21 – Assists for Lionel Messi (La Liga) and Thomas Muller (Bundesliga), the most recorded in a given competition in a single season

42 – Champions League assists for Cristiano Ronaldo, the most of all-time

136 – Major League Soccer assists for Landon Donovan, the most in MLS history

8 – European Championship assists for Karel Poborsky, the most in Euros history

162 – Premier League assists for Ryan Giggs, the most in Premier League history

2017/18 – Season in which the Premier League introduced the Playmaker of the Season award for the player with most assists

13 – Copa America assists for Lionel Messi, the most of all-time

9 – Assists for Liverpool’s James Milner in the 2017/18 Champions League, the most in a single season in the competition

12 – Assists for both Mathieu Valbuena and Dimitri Payet in the 2012/13 Ligue 1 campaign, with Valbuena winning the award by having fewer blocked shots (3 out of 5) among his total

1 Share

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by paulolee(m): 6:39am On Dec 06, 2021
the GOAT leads.....others follows..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by Lawlab251: 6:39am On Dec 06, 2021
Ok
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by Amotolongbo(f): 7:03am On Dec 06, 2021
Assist record is part of the modern day football and may not be totally reliable to me.
Modern day football now stands on statistics and numerous table parameters like chances created (big and small), tackles made, shots (outside and inside), Passes, passes per match etc

We’ve only heard and seen the records for the goals scored by the retired football legends. No assist was recorded for many of them. It is possible one, two or more might have had more assists than Messi.

Who knows the number of assists made by old football legends such as Pele, Garrincha, Puskas, Kempes, Di Stefano, Best, Muller, Chalton, etc?
Even Romario that retired not so long has no reliable assist record

1 Like

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by SyrusdeHansome(m): 7:28am On Dec 06, 2021
Look at Ronaldo's numbers after haters will come here and talk about how he doesn't do any other thing apart from scoring goals. When you're big you're big abeg

4 Likes

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by paulolee(m): 8:25am On Dec 06, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Assist record is part of the modern day football and may not be totally reliable to me.
Modern day football now stands on statistics and numerous table parameters like chances created (big and small), tackles made, shot (outside and inside), etc

We’ve only heard and seen the record for the goals scored by the retired football legends. No assists was recorded for many of them. It is possible one might have had more assists than Messi.

Who knows the number of assists made by old football legends such as Pele, Garrincha, Puskas, Kempes, Di Stefano etc?
Even Romario that retired not so long has no reliable assist record
I agree with u....most of these names are this 2000 generations only...assist wasn't counted then bcoz it wasnt important, they all cared about who scored n not who laid d passes..

1 Like

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by Amotolongbo(f): 8:39am On Dec 06, 2021
paulolee:

I agree with u....most of these names are this 2000 generations only...assist wasn't counted then bcoz it wasnt important, they all cared about who scored n not who laid d passes..
I also think some players who weren’t given much recognition in the round leather game world then, may have better recognition today, if assists were part of the game statistics those days and not only goals.

Example is the Bayern Munich Thomas Muller with fine assist record. He may not be properly recognized if only goals are considered

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by obonujoker(m): 10:09am On Dec 06, 2021
paulolee:
the GOAT leads.....others follows..

Shebi una dey tall say Rinaldo no dey do anything else than scoring goals?

1 Like

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by Kingcalls: 5:30pm On Dec 06, 2021
Amotolongbo:
I also think some players who aren’t given much recognition in the round leather game world then, may have better recognition today, if assists were part of the game statistics those days and not only goals.

Example is the Bayern Munich Thomas Muller with fine assist record. He may not be properly recognized if only goals are considered

Messi fans started this assist of a thing when they saw he cudnt get to Ronaldo.... its unfair to take assists serious cos past players never were recorded.... it can't just start now... fifa knows this , thats y they don't award assists ....as it dint start in the past, its certain a record cant be created cos it will be cheating on players in history

2 Likes

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by OJEEMAH(m): 5:45pm On Dec 06, 2021
Assist had absolutely nothing to do with Messi fans as some people want us to believe and any attempt to discredit Messi fans will be resisted.

Goal Assist has always been a crucial part of the game but no serious recognition in the past. Time went on and professionals in the game saw the need to start recognizing players whose contributions always go unnoticed and unrewarded. That's how they started keeping records of pass accuracy, assists, tackles, duels and even saves for goal keepers.

If not for saves, many people would not have known Oblak and even De-Gea, Cech even Argentina goal keeper Martinez.

Many would not have recognized the potential of Ozil, KDB and Fabregas, if not for their ability to locate players with beautiful passes that end up producing goals.

VVD, Ramos and Terry would not be recognized if not their ability to read the game, tackle and even win duels.

Every position is key and should have a parameter to measure players in their positions.

we don't often find players that can score, assist and create and thats why some of us love, respect and still consider Messi the greatest ever.

Not many players top goal scoring chart and still fight Midfielders in the area of assist cos its meant to be their responsibility.

No let anybody deceive you!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by Amotolongbo(f): 7:40pm On Dec 06, 2021
OJEEMAH:
Assist had absolutely nothing to do with Messi fans as some people want us to believe and any attempt to discredit Messi fans will be resisted.

Goal Assist has always been a crucial part of the game but no serious recognition in the past. Time went on and professionals in the game saw the need to start recognizing players whose contributions always go unnoticed and unrewarded. That's how they started keeping records of pass accuracy, assists, tackles, duels and even saves for goal keepers.

If not for saves, many people would not have known Oblak and even De-Gea, Cech even Argentina goal keeper Martinez.

Many would not have recognized the potential of Ozil, KDB and Fabregas, if not for their ability to locate players with beautiful passes that end up producing goals.

VVD, Ramos and Terry would not be recognized if not their ability to read the game, tackle and even win duels.

Every position is key and should have a parameter to measure players in their positions.

we don't often find players that can score, assist and create and thats why some of us love, respect and still consider Messi the greatest ever.

Not many players top goal scoring chart and still fight Midfielders in the area of assist cos its meant to be their responsibility.

The question now is, since there is no assist recorded for the retired football legends, can we now confidently say Messi has the highest assist ever in the game of football leaving no room for any doubt?
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by obonujoker(m): 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2021
OJEEMAH:

Why do you people propagate the lie that Rinaldo does nothing that scoring goals?? From those lies, we are shocked he has over 200 assists.....
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by OJEEMAH(m): 7:48pm On Dec 06, 2021
Amotolongbo:
The question now is, since there is no assist recorded for the retired football legends, can we now confidently say Messi has the highest assist ever in the game of football leaving no room for any doubt?
Until there's a proof to counter this claim, we can boldly say Messi has the highest assist in football history.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by OJEEMAH(m): 7:53pm On Dec 06, 2021
obonujoker:

Why do you people propagate the lie that Rinaldo does nothing that scoring goals?? From those lies, we are shocked he has over 200 assists.....
As you can see, i didn't mentioned that in my comment. All i know is Messi is much better at assisting and stats are there to back this claim.
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by obonujoker(m): 7:54pm On Dec 06, 2021
OJEEMAH:
As you can see, i didn't mentioned that in my comment. All i know is Messi is much better at assisting and stats are there to back this claim.

Of cos at assisting, but why do you Pessi fans always say Ronaldo only scores goals and does nothing else?? I want to know why??

2 Likes

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by OJEEMAH(m): 7:59pm On Dec 06, 2021
obonujoker:

Of cos at assisting, but why do you Pessi fans always say Ronaldo only scores goals and does nothing else?? I want to know why??
Just like we would like to know why Penaldians think Penaldo is a better goal scorer despite playing about 140 games more than Messi with less than 50 goals.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by obonujoker(m): 8:08pm On Dec 06, 2021
OJEEMAH:
Just like we would like to know why Penaldians think Penaldo is a better goal scorer despite playing about 140 games more than Messi with less than 50 goals.

Answer mine first, then I will answer yours grin
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by ThierryJay: 9:00pm On Dec 06, 2021
obonujoker:

Answer mine first, then I will answer yours grin

Why dont you wait for your paddy Kingcall to come here and spoil your thread claiming that assists dont have value in football in his typical mumuistic fashion grin grin

To answer your question, Ronaldo's robust assists days has been long over since the early part of last decade. Couldn't sustain scoring and assisting at a high rate like Messi which shows Messi's unparalleled ability.

Now answer Oj's question grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by SyrusdeHansome(m): 10:03pm On Dec 06, 2021
OJEEMAH:

because it's not easy to set goal records in three different countries whereas someone can easily do that in one club just like Messi is finding it hard to adjust at PSG.
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by OJEEMAH(m): 9:12am On Dec 07, 2021
ThierryJay:

Why dont you wait for your paddy Kingcall to come here and spoil your thread claiming that assists dont have value in football in his typical mumuistic fashion grin grin

To answer your question, Ronaldo's robust assists days has been long over since the early part of last decade. Couldn't sustain scoring and assisting at a high rate like Messi which shows Messi's unparalleled ability.

Now answer Oj's question grin
Nice one bro..... Obonujoker, hope you are satisfied with this impeccable response??
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by obonujoker(m): 1:42pm On Dec 07, 2021
OJEEMAH:
Nice one bro..... Obonujoker, hope you are satisfied with this impeccable response??

Nope... I didn't asked him to compare.. My question is why Pessi fans always say Ronaldo does nothing else than scoring on the pitch, what agenda is that?

2 Likes

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 07, 2021
obonujoker:

Nope... I didn't asked him to compare.. My question is why Pessi fans always say Ronaldo does nothing else than scoring on the pitch, what agenda is that?

Bastards like OJEEMAH who believe blindly cannot be of any use in matters like this!

He will assume I want his response....... another manifestation of stupidity!!!!

What is the essence of the sewage of people like that??

What will I gain if the bastard responds.....?

Some see everything as an evidence of what you think.... what an unimaginable abomination!.....So, Ronaldo , according to ThierryJay and co. only contributes tapins and penalties despite the thousands of chances created and the assists he gives every season.. let's not forget the fantastic goals...!!!

So,they will post links of me asking for help...... and arrive at baseless conclusions........ I have reported triplechoice to Juliet ......he knows who she is......... while budaatum remains a confused werey feeling special like a baboon because budaatum was mentioned.....

Spits on their waste....
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by OJEEMAH(m): 5:34pm On Dec 07, 2021
obonujoker:

This chart contains all the parameters used by Messi fans to arrive at that conclusion.

1 Like

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by HeadNigga: 8:00pm On Dec 07, 2021
OJEEMAH:

lol @ ANY ATTEMPT TO DISCREDIT MESSI FANS WILL BE RESISTED.

una get time o
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by ThierryJay: 9:56pm On Dec 07, 2021
OJEEMAH:

This is a well articulated and brilliant piece OJ. Somehow I didnt see it before. Another intellectual nail in the chief pendumbo's coffin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by OJEEMAH(m): 10:12pm On Dec 07, 2021
ThierryJay:

This is a well articulated and brilliant piece OJ. Somehow I didnt see it before. Another intellectual nail in the chief pendumbo's coffin.
grin grin

Thanks bro!!

The bolded, no mind them jare
Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by blamingthedevil: 10:27pm On Dec 07, 2021
King Messi

Re: Players With The Most Assists In Football History by guru23304: 3:42am On Sep 27, 2022
Player Team (current) Assists

Lionel Messi. Paris Saint-Germain 372
Thomas Muller. Bayern Munich 289
Luis Suarez . Atletico Madrid 277
Cristiano Ronaldo. Manchester United 272
Angel di Maria. Paris Saint-Germain 268

(1) (Reply)

Liverpool vs AC Milan; who wins the champion's league? / Top Ten All Time Best African Footballers / 2010 World Cup: T.b Joshua Says Nig Vs Ken: Tun Vs Moz:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.