Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,367 members, 7,808,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? (13896 Views)

Woman Births A Baby In A Classroom In Agatu, Benue State (photo) / Why Are There More Births In August? / 10 Interesting Things About Veiled Births (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by aloyemeka1: 11:23pm On Jun 11, 2011
Friday, June 10, 2011
[size=14pt]'Yam eating responsible for multiple births in Ekiti'[/size]

Agency Reporter

The wife of the Governor of Ekiti State, Mrs. Bisi Fayemi, on Thursday said the state was one of the states with the highest incidence of multiple births across the world.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jun/10/828.html

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Fayemi made the disclosure in Ado-Ekiti at the inauguration of the Multiple Birth Trust Fund.

She attributed the increases in multiple births in the state to the high consumption of yam by the inhabitants.

The governor's wife also expressed concern that Nigeria still recorded the second highest maternal mortality rate in the world, describing it as "unfortunate and pathetic".

She revealed that Governor Fayemi had set aside a certain amount of money to cater for those with multiple births in the 2011 budgetary allocation.

Fayemi, who is the President, African Women Development Fund, said AWDF had helped over 800 women in 42 countries. She added that she set up the scheme to ensure that whoever fell into the category did not suffer.

She said all resources must be deployed to give support to mothers of triplets and quadruplets in the state.

According to her, multiple births mostly occur among the poor and all efforts must be on deck to give them support.

She said, "I don't think it is good for us to fold our arms and allow these poor people to suffer because of God's blessings. I know that children are a blessing from God which we have to fight hard to safeguard.

"We are not going to take care of these children alone from infancy, but we are going to make investment for them so that by the time they are prepared to go to school, the parents will not be sweating."

She decried the lack of proper records on expectant mothers.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by aloyemeka1: 11:23pm On Jun 11, 2011
Mr Yam should get ready for proper blame in case Ekiti suffers from over population.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Sunofgod(m): 11:26pm On Jun 11, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Friday, June 10, 2011
[size=14pt]'Yam eating responsible for multiple births in Ekiti'[/size]

Agency Reporter

The wife of the Governor of Ekiti State, Mrs. Bisi Fayemi, on Thursday said the state was one of the states with the highest incidence of multiple births across the world.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jun/10/828.html

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Fayemi made the disclosure in Ado-Ekiti at the inauguration of the Multiple Birth Trust Fund.

She attributed the increases in multiple births in the state to the high consumption of yam by the inhabitants.

The governor's wife also expressed concern that Nigeria still recorded the second highest maternal mortality rate in the world, describing it as "unfortunate and pathetic".

She revealed that Governor Fayemi had set aside a certain amount of money to cater for those with multiple births in the 2011 budgetary allocation.

Fayemi, who is the President, African Women Development Fund, said AWDF had helped over 800 women in 42 countries. She added that she set up the scheme to ensure that whoever fell into the category did not suffer.

She said all resources must be deployed to give support to mothers of triplets and quadruplets in the state.

According to her, multiple births mostly occur among the poor and all efforts must be on deck to give them support.

She said, "I don't think it is good for us to fold our arms and allow these poor people to suffer because of God's blessings. I know that children are a blessing from God which we have to fight hard to safeguard.

"We are not going to take care of these children alone from infancy, but we are going to make investment for them so that by the time they are prepared to go to school, the parents will not be sweating."

She decried the lack of proper records on expectant mothers.

, and yet she produced all these statistics.

And how exactly is 'Yam' responsible for it?

Ignoramus,
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by aloyemeka1: 11:33pm On Jun 11, 2011
Sun of god:

, and yet she produced all these statistics.

And how exactly is 'Yam' responsible for it?

Ignoramus,

Are you responsible for it then if it is not Mr Yam?. Didn't a goat steal one car few years ago in Kwara state?. If a goat can do that,. why can't yam multiply eggs?.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by ektbear: 12:00am On Jun 12, 2011
Interesting. I've heard these two ideas before (Ekiti having some of the highest rates of twins in the world, yam being the cause), but sort of thought both are just stories.

I wonder if anyone has studied this quantitatively.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by seanet02: 12:05am On Jun 12, 2011
Ekiti kete.
Dapo don't start proclaiming your state as the one with the highest rate of twins in the world. The state with the highest is Oyo state which is due to the influence of a single town called Igbo Ora.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by ektbear: 12:07am On Jun 12, 2011
^-- Hehe, interesting.

Do you know if anyone has looked into why this is?
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 1:18am On Jun 12, 2011
According to her, multiple births mostly occur among the poor

probably because they arent eating all these processed food but rather organic ones.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 1:28am On Jun 12, 2011
Aloy,

Now that you know the secret, you better start eating the yams. Ko je su, ko momi si.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 1:36am On Jun 12, 2011
I want triplets. All male.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 1:41am On Jun 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

All you need to do is take a vacation to Ado for three weeks and eat nothing but yams.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 1:44am On Jun 12, 2011
According to her, multiple births mostly occur among the poor

LOL The thing is not fair. Poor and spitting out 2 at a time. It's like punishment.

Aigbofa:

All you need to do is take a vacation to Ado for three weeks and eat nothing but yams.

But of course!
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by igboboy1(m): 11:11am On Jun 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

only 3? Ah ah ur toto wey don lose elasticity go fit handle octuplet nau shocked
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by abadaba(m): 11:24am On Jun 12, 2011
igbo boy:

only 3? Ah ah your toto wey don lose elasticity go fit handle octuplet nau shocked
You are very funny. How did you know that?.
Answer please.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Wizardofoz: 11:30am On Jun 12, 2011
Aigbofa:

Aloy,

Now that you know the secret, you better start eating the yams. Ko je su, ko momi si.

Aigbofa at his best!

I have missed your posts gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! grin

The wittiest NL!

Hope you are good

Long Live Aigbofa

Been looking for your input on the Tinubu/Omatseye Vs. HID Awolowo threads!
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 12, 2011
hahhahahahahah, this is funny! Ekiti people do like eating yams! thats why i hate yam and will hate yam for the rest of my life! my mom used to make us eat yam like crazy growing up! i even hate pounded yam!
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by redsun(m): 11:41am On Jun 12, 2011
Natural food in afrca promotes d body natural rhythm.As soon as africansfully embrace oyibo process food,disaster will strike
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 12, 2011
igbo boy:

only 3? Ah ah your toto wey don lose elasticity go fit handle octuplet nau  shocked
u are an i d i o t  ! can u talk to your sister like dat well i don't blame u, u are an igbo boy, your culture won't let u know any better! freakin scum of the earth!
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by redsun(m): 11:46am On Jun 12, 2011
Mass produces and processed foods are poisonous.How can africa feed herself comfortably and avoid conterminated foods?
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 11:52am On Jun 12, 2011
Engineered

nothing wrong with yams.

Nigerian yams in particular are top of the line. Very tasty.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by BabaO2: 12:10pm On Jun 12, 2011
Nigerian yams in particular are top of the line. Very tasty
But no other countries produce or know yam except Nigeria and few west African countries.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 12:12pm On Jun 12, 2011
^^some other places produce yam besides west africa.

there was a thread about this some years ago.

imo, nigerian yams are better than most of the other countries' own. At least the ones i've tasted.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by BabaO2: 12:16pm On Jun 12, 2011
some other places produce yam besides west africa.
Name them pls. I have not been fortunate to see one.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by deadie(m): 12:22pm On Jun 12, 2011
Where is her scientific study to back up her claims? I hope that she realises that as a public woman, she should speak only facts. Seems like we now have a Nigerian version of Sarah Palin.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by ziga: 12:24pm On Jun 12, 2011
deadie:

Where is her scientific study to back up her claims? I hope that she realises that as a public woman, she should speak only facts. Seems like we now have a Nigerian version of Sarah Palin.

It is documented that Yoruba people/Nigeria have the highest rate of Dizygotic(fraternal) twins in the world, and it has been speculated that some chemical substance in the Yam has the ability to induce ovulation of multiple eggs in females.

With the current state of our health sector and more troubling health issues, it is not surprising that trying to prove this theory is not our top priority.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/977234-overview#a0199

Another school of thought is that it might not actually be the yam, but some chemical substance in our soil which eventually is absorbed by our food crops. None of these have been proven. But it is proven that Yorubas/Nigeria has the highest rate of twins in the world.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 12:26pm On Jun 12, 2011
Baba_O:

Name them pls. I have not been fortunate to see one.

i think fiji or somewhere around that area.

their yams seem to be bigger than africa's own.

though west africa is the heaviest producer of yams.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by lagcity(m): 12:39pm On Jun 12, 2011
the yam hypothesis is kinda hard to swallow for me. na only Yoruba ppl dey chop yam? The cause is more likely to be genetic.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Wislet(f): 12:39pm On Jun 12, 2011
engineerd:

u are an i d i o t  ! can u talk to your sister like dat well i don't blame u, u are an igbo boy, your culture won't let u know any better! freakin scum of the earth!
That was a daft comment from you. Did he mention tribe? But u just had to cos u're what? Smart?

1 Like

Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 12:42pm On Jun 12, 2011
lagcity:

the yam hypothesis is kinda hard to swallow for me. na only Yoruba ppl dey chop yam? The cause is more likely to be genetic.

it could be a combination of both factors, though yorubas might eat yam more, who knows.

pounded yam, cooked yam, asaro, amala, etc.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jun 12, 2011
I need to eat yam everytime now grin grin grin grin
boiled/fried yam in the morning
Amala or iyan in the afternoon
Asaro/ ikokore/ ojojo at night
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by lagcity(m): 1:03pm On Jun 12, 2011
tpia@:

it could be a combination of both factors, though yorubas might eat yam more, who knows.

pounded yam, cooked yam, asaro, amala, etc.

you are right. diet , alongside genetics, plays a huge role in physiology. i have heard this yam hypothesis before but no one has really mentioned that particular chemical in yam. i'm also interested in how the scientist(s) were able to determine that the cause is yam. i mean why not Ewedu (ewedu seems to be more exclusive to yoruba than yam) igbos eat lots of yam, too.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by kokorodudu(f): 2:45pm On Jun 12, 2011
I love that state o, Yam makes men out of boys, grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Threads With Only Links To Blogs Will Be Removed!!!!! / Which Multivitamin Capsule Do You Recommend? / LASG Commences Construction Of 1,500-Bed Psychiatric Hospital In Epe (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.