Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits (10463 Views)

Employees, Are We Going To See You In January Abi O Ti Lo / Reasons Why Employees Leave Your Business / Lady Quits Her £50k Job To Start Her Own Business, Buys Her 1st House At 25 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 09, 2021
Kingcalls:
Employers are now acting like gods just cos they feel there is high level of unemployment.... the last time I worked 10yrs ago, my stupid boss was always insulting me and my other colleagues at the slightest opportunity and treating us like crap ....he tot I too was dependent on salary.... I change am for am , the fool was surprised, I almost throw am slap if not for my colleagues that held me ...I rained insults on the fool and walked away...after that day I promised myself I was never gonna work fir anyone again... the only good thing I gained was the experience, which helps me today in running my business

My own was the boss, a fellow employee sitting at the top.

I gave him the insult he wanted via email response.

They are corporate bully's.

1 Like

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Antoeni(m): 9:41am On Dec 09, 2021
For those that have Job
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by RuddyFusion(m): 10:03am On Dec 09, 2021
I can relate.
My experience has taught me that slaving in the name of working for business or the other is not worth it

Work life Balance is important.
Proper remuneration is important
Flexibility / hybrid working culture is important
Clear cut career growth and progression at work place is important
Jobs that be done fully remotely , shouid be done remotely....jobs like Digital Marketing, Social media marketing, SEO, Content Marketing, Software Development etc.,...

So you don't have to slave yourself
When you go for interview , know your worth and insist on it....

1 Like

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by robosky02(m): 10:11am On Dec 09, 2021
Nice
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by slydog(m): 10:16am On Dec 09, 2021
drkrest:
one thing Nigerians should be concerned about is that experience. Once you can garner a reasonable number of experience coupled with academic experience, you are good to go.

I work in a bank. Was just talking to a friend working in a FMCG manufacturing company. I was shocked to my bones when he told me that his pension fund is almost hitting 15m after just 7years of working, while mine is just hitting 3m after nine years of working in the bank.
Indeed, banking can either be likened to civil service job or more harshly slave trade.
He told me, good thing I have is that working experience and higher degrees, that I'll be hot cake in the FMCG industry. That's my target now.

4 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by yinkeys(m): 10:28am On Dec 09, 2021
Slave Wages = Disloyalty
It’s as simple as that
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Angy55(f): 10:31am On Dec 09, 2021
Johnjanrt:
If employees are quitting as claimed OP how comes we are still unemployed, or is Nigeria excluded from the list?
Unemployment is real hold your job tight 'a bird in hand'

Actually employees are quitting. In my organization there's virtually no month that at least 2 staffs do not resign.

It's not like this in other countries because it's a multinational organization.

Company came to Nigeria and were paying well because it was a new company, they employed some over sabi people who messed the whole system up. Company is just 2 years in Nigeria.

You can't have 3 salary structure for the same Job role in a company. Incentive structure different for the same Job role and qualification.

The cry of the people Level up the salary structure.

I also have a friend in another organization, he keeps complaining that people are resigning.

Note: The owner of the company a foreigner in the UK meant well for His Nigerian staffs but few person messed it up all for favoritism.

It is the Nigeria factor. Nigeria is messed up.

4 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by SavageResponse(m): 10:42am On Dec 09, 2021
Rastaramsey:
Employers are motherfuckers.... They only think about their proceeds.... I remember back then when I worked as a motor boy at onitsha, my oga will buy materials worth 150k, we go work and sell everything, when it is time to pay, that man go use our salaries buy another material and pay us after two weeks...

Damnn that shit was so bleeped

Abeg if na small business, make una start am o

I'm very sure you also do the same things to your employees now that you're running your own business. Nigerians are the same everywhere!
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by SavageResponse(m): 10:47am On Dec 09, 2021
slydog:

I work in a bank. Was just talking to a friend working in a FMCG manufacturing company. I was shocked to my bones when he told me that his pension fund is almost hitting 15m after just 7years of working, while mine is just hitting 3m after nine years of working in the bank.
Indeed, banking can either be likened to civil service job or more harshly slave trade.
He told me, good thing I have is that working experience and higher degrees, that I'll be hot cake in the FMCG industry. That's my target now.

I hope you are aware that in an FMCG you will not have opportunity to be pilfering money from customers' accounts the way some bankers do in the banks grin
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by vannessa7(f): 11:14am On Dec 09, 2021
Kingcalls:
Employers are now acting like gods just cos they feel there is high level of unemployment.... the last time I worked 10yrs ago, my stupid boss was always insulting me and my other colleagues at the slightest opportunity and treating us like crap ....he tot I too was dependent on salary.... I change am for am , the fool was surprised, I almost throw am slap if not for my colleagues that held me ...I rained insults on the fool and walked away...after that day I promised myself I was never gonna work fir anyone again... the only good thing I gained was the experience, which helps me today in running my business

Which business please
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 09, 2021
slydog:

No wonder, in the FMCG, I sense a high level of satisfaction when relating with their marketers who are always calm, well groomed and drive the best cars. Indeed most bankers do complain about dissatisfaction on the job.

These FMCG companies probably converted the profits their distributors used to earn by markup into improved employee remuneration. No matter how hard their distributors slave today, nothing for them.

I suspected this shift in 2012.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Henrypraise: 12:13pm On Dec 09, 2021
So many people think it's going to be business as usual, in one hand, there is alot of individuals without basic career skills who are not even ready to be employed currently in Nigeria, on the other hand, employers are treating employees badly, they don't even realize that the bottom of the pot of soup is leaking badly... Government on the other hand is gearing it's belt to exploit taxation without making checkmating the excesses of employers, even the expatriate in Nigeria are beginning to be treated badly, I worked in a barge last year and there was no expatriate food for the Asians, they had to resort to eating only rice and cabbage for more than a month... The very first time I saw expatriates downing tools, Nigeria local content contractors no fit pay indigens and expatriates...

Anyways, there will be an harmonization somewhere somehow...
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Kingcalls: 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2021
vannessa7:

Which business please

Financial consultancy , business management and financial broker .....so u can call me an investment banker

1 Like

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Hassanmaye(m): 3:01pm On Dec 09, 2021
Kingcalls:
Wow How many people can Get this courage
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Emanodimo(m): 7:52pm On Dec 09, 2021
Be loyal to your hustle...

Is it an offence for work related to being transactional between both?- Work & get paid.

Loyalty is to be earned.
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Rick9(m): 1:37am On Dec 10, 2021
Everyone wants to start their own business.
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by onoms4luv(m): 7:25am On Dec 10, 2021
He'll rufuai
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by rotile247(m): 8:28am On Dec 10, 2021
Johnjanrt:
If employees are quitting as claimed OP how comes we are still unemployed, or is Nigeria excluded from the list?
Unemployment is real hold your job tight 'a bird in hand'

People are leaving their jobs especially in the banking sector and are not being replaced because of the cost of training new entrant or experienced hires hence leaving the remaining staff to suffer the brunt of being over worked.

That's why when you go to bank's these days, you're often on your own because the workers are overworked (imagine a team of 5 people now just 2 and sometimes becomes 1 when the other person is sick or goes on leave without replacement)
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Johnjanrt: 9:08am On Dec 10, 2021
rotile247:

People are leaving their jobs especially in the banking sector and are not being replaced because of the cost of training new entrant or experienced hires hence leaving the remaining staff to suffer the brunt of being over worked.

That's why when you go to bank's these days, you're often on your own because the workers are overworked (imagine a team of 5 people now just 2 and sometimes becomes 1 when the other person is sick or goes on leave without replacement)
Nigeria for us. I can't really imagine the pain anyone would pass through to prefer resigning to unemployment than stay on a job. Harsh realities we have to wrestle as Nigerians.
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Naijaolosho2: 9:25am On Dec 10, 2021
Loud am make them hear please

Qtsnow:
Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 reasons why employees are calling it quits

There is currently a mismatch between what employees want and what employers can provide. This has caused millions of workers worldwide to resign from their jobs, demanding better pay, remote work options, good working conditions and work-life balance.

This trend is called “The Great Resignation” or “The Big Quit”, giving employees the upper hand and employers facing a massive talent crunch. So we can’t help but ask, how can employers find and retain top talent in the age of this worldwide trend?

Jobberman Nigeria, Sub-Saharan Africa’s top recruitment portal, has recently shared its findings from conversations they’ve had with thousands of employees across the country over the last several months. The results have been compiled in a power-packed report tagged THE EMPLOYEE SATISFACTION REPORT
It covers expectations and workplace satisfaction data of over 2,700 employees from various industries and job categories.

This article discusses five reasons why employees are quitting their jobs and how to boost retention -

Lack of flexibility - The COVID-19 pandemic has allowed workers to rethink their careers, work conditions, and long-term goals. As many workplaces attempted to bring their employees in person, workers desired to work from home during and after the pandemic. With telecommuting also came schedule flexibility, which was the primary reason to look for a new job. Additionally, many workers, particularly in younger cohorts, are seeking to gain a better work-life balance.

Insufficient benefits - More and more workers are realising the value of their time and efforts. They do not only recognise but are demanding good benefits and remuneration. An excellent job experience isn’t just about salary but the total package, including paid leave, health care, bonuses, rewards, and so much more. When these factors don’t meet the standard, employees tend to feel unappreciated and undervalued.

Toxic work-culture- It should come as no surprise that unhappy employees are more likely to quit than happy ones, and research shows that this is indeed the case. The younger generation is beginning to value peace of mind over money, so consider this when structuring your working environment.

Lack of career growth and development - The lack of career growth and development can be considered a key reason why employees exit their previous companies. Nobody likes feeling stuck and stagnant, so for them to get new opportunities, they will look for them somewhere else if your company doesn’t provide it.

Image 1
Job satisfaction Quota as contained in the Jobberman Employee Satisfaction Report 2021

HOW TO BOOST EMPLOYEE RETENTION
Image 2
Top External Traits that matter most in the company as contained in the Jobberman Employee Satisfaction Report 2021

The forces at play in the labour market don’t necessarily apply to every industry, so workers should do their own research about their field before leaving a job. Companies also need to get on the same page with employees by reconceptualizing what it means to be part of their organization.

Watch as some HR experts share their views on this topic and suggest ways companies can improve employee retention based on our new Employee Satisfaction survey report
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VSI50ryH6Q

Featuring - Aramide, Recruitment Lead at Flutterwave; Temi Richard Banji, Head of Talent acquisition at Mastercard Foundation; Sheila Ojei, Communications Manager, Jobberman Nigeria (Host); Idris Abdulgafar, Head of Human Resources, Jobberman Nigeria.

The Jobberman Employee Satisfaction Report unpacks employee satisfaction among Nigerian employees. It can be used as a guideline to prioritise employee satisfaction in the workplace and improve productivity and overall long-term organisational success.

- TechPoint - Are employers the real superpower in the recruitment industry? (Who has the power? Employers Vs Employees)
- Nairametrics - XXXX of Women are going to leave their jobs in the next six months and here's why (Use stats from report)
- TechCabal - The Great Resignation: And what it means for Nigerian Employers.

Source -

(1) (2) (Reply)

Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm / Which Skill Should He Go For? / Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.