Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,818 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife (5299 Views)

Am I Doing The Right Thing Or I Will Regret It / Is It Wrong Or I Am Over Reacting / If A Woman Has Friends, Does It Mean She Will Be A Bad Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Mille: 5:43pm On Dec 09, 2021
Just curious so I can stop worrying about it. ***NO FRONTPAGE PLEASE*** JUST HOPE TO GET SOME INPUT FROM EXPERIENCED MARRIED PEOPLE.

Married for close to two years now with a baby. My wife hasn't worked since partly due to a lack of suitable opportunities and the fact that we are alone where we stay with neither family present. She is a graduate of a private university and I've had to sponsor a skillet training which has been completed so she can open a business. We intend to wait until the baby is one before she opens the business which is a few weeks from now. So I'm 100% responsible for everything. She is not on any specific allowance but I purposely allow inflated bills so she can get some change from it. She is also involved in weekly contributions which I pay 90% of the time.

One thing I have noticed is that she will not help with any expenses around the house. Let say I'm cash-strapped for something we need to buy today, she'll pretend she doesn't have any cash and rather wait until I bring the money tomorrow than buy it for the family. She is currently doing so now and it is reinvigorating resentments I have for her.

One event actually caused the resentment. I will share it in the next post.

4 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Mille: 5:44pm On Dec 09, 2021
On what caused the resentment.

I'm sure you all remembered when MTN network was down until the next day. Well, that day I and my daughter went to bed hungry. It was the first time in my 28 years I have ever gone to bed without eating dinner.

I receive my pay in my dorm account in USD. So I have a BDC guy who I transfer dollar to whenever I need cash. I didn't know MTN will fumble that day because I splurged all my Naira earlier that day. Evening came, MTN was down. I couldn't get across to BDC and it was already too late to go to bank to withdraw. I saw this woman's bank balance that same evening but she lied she didn't have any cash. I didn't challenge her and she chose to allow everyone sleep hungry that night including our baby. Don't even ask about breast milk because the whole night, all I was hearing was her whining that she hasn't eaten and the baby shouldn't disturb her with cries for breastfeeding.

The next morning by 7AM, I was able to get across to my BDC guy and exchanged the cash. That was the first time I have ever confronted her and I lambasted her that morning.

Still it is the same. When I have to pay PHCN bills, she'll rather have us sleep in darkness if my bank has network issues than use her own account.

Now the funny thing is, she will never go out without buying something on her way for me. So I'm a bit confused and resentful.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Benbobola(m): 5:54pm On Dec 09, 2021
Do share...
Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Hathor5(f): 5:54pm On Dec 09, 2021
She is the one you should talk it over with.

You should tell her how you feel about her behavior and not us.

It is always better to seek direct communication first.

Talk to each other instead about one another.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Mrkumareze(m): 5:55pm On Dec 09, 2021
Op, she is not working yet, wait until she starts business... And, don't expect her to start spending from a biz that's not stable yet.. grow your wife, she ll support you when she balance wella...
no reason wahala, the economy sometimes frustrates man thinking ... to survive in naija as a family man, u get to be strong psychologically n physically

7 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by ucheheart(m): 5:56pm On Dec 09, 2021
You are not alone my brother, Wives in this our generation are not just helpful. They come with entitlement mentality and most of them are very selfish, all they care about is themselves and their family members.

35 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Tokskob2008: 6:01pm On Dec 09, 2021
Majority of wives are guilty of these and it's very very annoying.

Women get wahala no be small atal and if you as a husband should act on every of their fckups the home won't be stable.

14 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Mariangeles(f): 6:03pm On Dec 09, 2021
She’s not a bad wife, she’s just stingy.
You can open up and try to talk to her about it.
Make her understand that you are not her father but her husband, and she’s obligated to support you in providing for the household in any way she can, no matter how little.

16 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Mille: 6:06pm On Dec 09, 2021
Hathor5:
She is the one you should talk it over with.

You should tell her how you feel about her behavior and not us.

It is always better to seek direct communication first.

Talk to each other instead about one another.

And what should someone do if you have talked and there is still no changes?

3 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by NovesaTillie(f): 6:07pm On Dec 09, 2021
Her money is her money.
Your money is OUR money cheesy

I'm not that kind of woman.
My husband will be lucky to have me.
cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by ogawisdom(m): 6:26pm On Dec 09, 2021
Lol

she doesnt believe in supporting his man financially.

you are wasting ur money opening a business for her except u dont mind if she doesnt support ur family from the biz.

whatever u do never ever go broke otherwise u will see ur ears with ur eyes.

Have plans A to F for making money n different reserve funds for the family.

By the way 95% of women are like dt, it's difficult for a woman to support their husband with their money.

In ur case i am shocked she let her daughter go to bed hungry, women don't play with their kids

34 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Acidosis(m): 6:30pm On Dec 09, 2021
Your wife's behaviour is abnormal. Please talk to her

13 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Mille: 6:30pm On Dec 09, 2021
NovesaTillie:
Her money is her money.
Your money is OUR money cheesy

I'm not that kind of woman.
My husband will be lucky to have me.
cheesy

I hear you're considering polygamy grin
Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Richy4(m): 6:35pm On Dec 09, 2021
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Sorry man that u have to sleep without food.. Start keeping pastas/ noodles in your kitchen shelf for emergencies like that..

She is not a bad woman...What happened was that you have accidentally discovered her ugly side that aren't pretty that u will learn to live with...The ugly part spouses do their very best to hide...

Everyone has spouses that has some certain characters or qualities that when u look at it, U double check again and cast your mind back in good old days of courtship to think if u saw this or you were missing something... smiley

You can't get all the package in one buddy.. U will agree with me that there are area in which u always commend her right?...
So try and manage the shortcoming part as well please...

I'm glad that u didn't want this on front page..
Cheers man...

10 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Healthrelatedjo: 6:36pm On Dec 09, 2021
Talk to her abt it
She's just trying to save up for her business
No go use ur hand cause wahala for urself abeg.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 09, 2021
" you saw her bank balance, she lied that she doesn't have cash. It was too late to go to bank" all these you typed in a paragraph yet you resent your wife for something as an incident as unclear as this? What if she doesn't have cash truly and it was really late to go to the bank for her too?. Seriously op, the feeling of resentment should be felt towards anyone let alone your wife. It is deep anger that results in hatred.

You two are still very young in your marriage, you are just getting to know and understand one another. I believe it is at this stage you both build your communication strength. Obviously your wife is just coming to terms with what marriage is. That's why she is treating you as a boyfriend by buying you gifts and not supporting the family financially. Talk to her, some people needs to be told what is expected of them before they do it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Mille: 6:38pm On Dec 09, 2021
ogawisdom:
Lol

she doesnt believe in supporting his man financially.

you are wasting ur money opening a business for her except u dont mind if she doesnt support ur family from the biz.

whatever u do never ever go broke otherwise u will see ur ears with ur eyes.

Have plans A to F for making money n different reserve funds for the family.

By the way 95% of women are like dt, it's difficult for a woman to give their husband their money. In ur case i am shocked she let her daughter go to bed hungry, women don't play with their kids

Exactly what I was thinking. Of what use is opening a business for her if I'm not getting any benefits.

Mehn, I was shocked she did that and it was the main reason I lambasted her. My daughter only takes breast milk and adult food. She'll rather take water than cerealac. I already told my wife I'll never forgive that in my life.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Raalsalghul: 6:46pm On Dec 09, 2021
Shebi una like to carry that "provider mentality" for head.

Oya provide now!!!

6 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Tallesty1(m): 6:47pm On Dec 09, 2021
Mrkumareze:
Op, she is not working yet, wait until she starts business... And, don't expect her to start spending from a biz that's not stable yet.. grow your wife, she ll support you when she balance wella...
no reason wahala, the economy sometimes frustrates man thinking ... to survive in naija as a family man, u get to be strong psychologically n physically
She watched her daughter go to bed hungry enyi.

That was so extreme

12 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Mille: 6:48pm On Dec 09, 2021
Palema007:
" you saw her bank balance, she lied that she doesn't have cash. It was too late to go to bank" all these you typed in a paragraph yet you resent your wife for something as an incident as unclear as this? What if she doesn't have cash truly and it was really late to go to the bank for her too?. Seriously op, the feeling of resentment should be felt towards anyone let alone your wife. It is deep anger that results in hatred.

You two are still very young in your marriage, you are just getting to know and understand one another. I believe it is at this stage you both build your communication strength. Obviously your wife is just coming to terms with what marriage is. That's why she is treating you as a boyfriend by buying you gifts and not supporting the family financially. Talk to her, some people needs to be told what is expected of them before they do it.

Perhaps you didn't understand my post. Let me explain a bit. I actually saw her bank balance. I still saw it the same evening and the next morning. I know how much was in there at the time. I have always been self-sufficient from a young age so I have never cared about anyone else's money.

When I say it's too late for me to go to the bank. I mean it was already past 4pm and banks would be closed by then. Anyone familiar with dorm accounts know you can only withdraw dollar at the counter in the bank.

10 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Mstick: 6:48pm On Dec 09, 2021
OP you're 28 and I am guessing your wife is younger and you already have something in your marriage you will never forgive her for.

Your marriage is young and going by your reply to comments you just want people to bash your wife, if you want a long and healthy marriage with your wife then you need to stop this and talk to the person YOU married not us.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by ogawisdom(m): 6:51pm On Dec 09, 2021
Mille:

Exactly what I was thinking. Of what use is opening a business for her if I'm not getting any benefits.

Mehn, I was shocked she did that and it was the main reason I lambasted her. My daughter only takes breast milk and adult food. She'll rather take water than cerealac. I already told my wife I'll never forgive that in my life.

My friend set up a business for her wife hoping the woman will be contributing significantly to family upkeep but the woman refused telling him she will only contribute if she wants that he can't force her. Imagine lol. She was even trying to make shop rent his additional responsibility alone.

The business was blessed and booming but caused serious strain in their marriage she leaves house 8am n back by 9pm Mon to sat, abandoning most house duties and almost always too tired for the other room.

If u must open biz for her you must discuss ur expectations with her to avoid quarrelling.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by merieam16(f): 6:52pm On Dec 09, 2021
Mille:

u had better forgive that and move on. Marriage is all about enduring and forgiveness....e be like say u never ready. Marriage is not for the faint at heart

2 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 09, 2021
Mille:

Perhaps you didn't understand my post. Let me explain a bit. I actually saw her bank balance. I still saw it the same evening and the next morning. I know how much was in there at the time. I have always been self-sufficient from a young age so I have never cared about anyone else's money.

When I say it's too late for me to go to the bank. I mean it was already past 4pm and banks would be closed by then. Anyone familiar with dorm accounts know you can only withdraw dollar at the counter in the bank.
Oh I get it now... But did you ask her? I mean make a request.

Well all the same, talk to your wife. We don't know her, what could have prompted her actions or her orientation about marriage. Just talk things through, be more open and stop harbouring things that you shouldn't in your mind.

1 Like

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Raalsalghul: 7:06pm On Dec 09, 2021
Mille:

The sisterhood will do anything to defend themselves.

Hope you know that?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Raalsalghul: 7:10pm On Dec 09, 2021
merieam16:
u had better forgive that and move on. Marriage is all about enduring and forgiveness....e be like say u never ready. Marriage is not for the faint at heart

Another member of the sisterhood.

Marriage is all about endurance yen yen yen.

So he should endure the fact that his wife was willing to let their child go to bed hungry even when she had the resources to feed her.

And yet you people wonder why they say "marriage is a scam".

Jesus Christ, this is beyond me.

23 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by olabrinks(f): 7:10pm On Dec 09, 2021
I don’t like to spend money in my house too much but what bothers me is the fact she allowed her daughter to go hungry over night especially when she has money in her account. I’m really concerned about that as that is not normal at all. You need to be very weary about this, because these are signs that she may neglect her own daughter if times get hard. Very bad.

15 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Klass99(f): 7:11pm On Dec 09, 2021

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by merieam16(f): 7:24pm On Dec 09, 2021
Raalsalghul:

Another member of the sisterhood.

Marriage is all about endurance yen yen yen.

So he should endure the fact that his wife was willing to let their child go to bed hungry even when she had the resources to feed her.

And yet you people wonder why they say "marriage is a scam".

Jesus Christ, this is beyond me.
undecided
Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by chii8(f): 7:31pm On Dec 09, 2021
Was she remorseful after you lambasted her allowing her family go hungry?I think she has this funny old generation mentality that men must pay all the bills.If you are my brother,I will advise you call a meeting and debate it out, now that it's still morning,share responsibilities.....

Don't come and go and kee your self on top say you be man undecided

1 Like

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Timekeeper: 7:37pm On Dec 09, 2021
Mrkumareze:
Different set of people on nairaland.... Can't you read at all?

She shud not even use her money to feed her baby??
Make una dey read B4 una comment na

8 Likes

Re: Am I Overthinking This Or I Really Have A Bad Wife by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2021
You both need a marriage counselor, not Nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Right For A Woman To Get Pregnant Without Her Husband's Approval??? / How Do You Cope With An Unmarried Sibling. / We All Went Through This Stage In Life ( Pic )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.