Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

Should I Take This Job?(photo) - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should I Take This Job?(photo) (36938 Views)

Should I Quit This Job? / They Say Web Dev'ment Is Saturated, What TECH Stack Should I Take On / Seunosewa Abeg Unflag My Site :: Na God I Take Beg You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by oshaosha2014(m): 1:44pm On Dec 12, 2021
Please for a novice like me what is the very first step to get into this industry. Even though I don't understand all the terms you use, I am interested.

niel63:
@op ask if you could use JAMstack approach... that's working with Headless cms... you could use any of them out there, personally I love Sanity.io and strapi.

With these approach I think you can do this... writing DB schemas isn't that difficult if you understand it.

After which you can easily consume the Endpoints using REST or GraphQL... why I'd always go with GraphQL is, it already have a simple approach to all you just mentioned.
Filtering, Sorting, and the likes...
Generally, what you should do for every job invite is to actually do what you were sent even though you aren't going to work with them or finish the project in their own time. It increases your understanding of what to expect in the future.

I remember trying to solve the problem I received from a Polish company, I kuku jam more problems, and beautiful solutions to accelerate the tasks. Today when a person talks about DB and their schema, I know what to do.
That's how I got to learn something like FaunaDB, then I come jam another solution like Hasura and a few others including Sanity.io GROQ. To keep it simple, you can use Postgres via hasura or kukuma go with mongodb

Just give it try if you aren't doing anything for now... comot mind for the work work do you thing. You'd see how you'll automatically start using all these right of the box.

https://www.daniel-dozie.dev/

This is my portfolio website that I'm working on.
All the texts and images are all on sanity. So basically I had to consume the data from the Endpoints using groq or graphql...

Built it right off my head without any design inspiration... using React/Nextjs with typescript, and Tailwind UI... now I comfortably use most UI frameworks. I'm working on another personal project using the same stack but this time with Chakra UI... In 24hours, I already know how to work with chakra...

the idea is to keep improving. No knowledge is a waste.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by AgentMiah: 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2021
Join Fiverr and discover the fastest way to hire freelancers, for any online project. Thank me later!

https://www.fiverr.com/s2/6b0cda8b6e
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:48pm On Dec 12, 2021
Alusiizizi:

Seriously? Electrical engineering? Can't be. 1st degree in electrical engineering: Circuits fundamentals, circuits design, Orthonormal transformations(Fourier/Laplace), Programming, Probability and Statistics, Digital circuits, signal processing, more programming and even more circuits, not to speak of many more specialized sub-fields. CS cannot even shed light on the shadow of EE, the difference in breadth is just too vast.

There's absolutely no breadth. I would absolutely never advise anyone to get an engineering degree. I did most of these too for my own Engineering degree and it was absolutely useless. The only programming we did was C and C++ which we learnt absolutely nothing. Most of my mates still can't find work. I have friends who graduated electrical engineers who struggled for years on end to find work and no headway and they are now learning programming. Won't it have been better to just have studied computer science from the get go? Engineering is useless all of it but I still rate electrical higher than other engineering fields but comparing it to computer science and I would pick computer science over and over.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by BruncleZuma: 1:50pm On Dec 12, 2021
StackOverflow
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by cooooooks(m): 1:53pm On Dec 12, 2021
Only, deliver the job. Try what you know then come on NL and find someone that can do it.

Even if you only come out with 10% of what they offered you, they could offer another job.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Investigators: 1:58pm On Dec 12, 2021
Bro I will advise to go for it. Find someone that can help you complete this. Find someone to learn from. Majority of the people in very big positions today were never ready for it. They become stable as time goes by and also stable as event unfold.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by qtguru(m): 1:59pm On Dec 12, 2021
Alusiizizi:

REACT is a JavaScript library so learning REACT implies learning JavaScript. BTW I am not a web developer but it took me less than 4~5 hours to learn JS. I had to for this freelance job that I worked on.

worked on is different from building components and custom features and debugging, no one not even an expert can tell you he picked JS in 4 hours, that's no possible maybe JS but React is also DOM API too. but for that scope of test maybe but when he enters the job , and he is expected to manage an existing code with design patterns how will he cope ?

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by qtguru(m): 2:01pm On Dec 12, 2021
You can't bullshit your way with foreigns jobs, I've seen many Nigerian devs like that kicked out from companies, give yourself time and study or take small React gigs.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by qtguru(m): 2:08pm On Dec 12, 2021
Investigators:
Bro I will advise to go for it. Find someone that can help you complete this. Find someone to learn from. Majority of the people in very big positions today were never ready for it. They become stable as time goes by and also stable as event unfold.

True, my own is if they learn JS proper they can enter any framework, I dey enter JS frameworks and you will even understand more how they work from the source code.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by akus6060(m): 2:18pm On Dec 12, 2021
Fat lie from pit of hell. Learn JavaScript in less than 4 to 5 hours or month?
Alusiizizi:

REACT is a JavaScript library so learning REACT implies learning JavaScript. BTW I am not a web developer but it took me less than 4~5 hours to learn JS. I had to for this freelance job that I worked on.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Clefayomide: 2:30pm On Dec 12, 2021
I wouldn't advice you to completely drop the job test. Have you considered using firebase for your backend ? Just give it a try, even if you don't get the job at least you get to learn something
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by qtguru(m): 2:44pm On Dec 12, 2021
has the deadline passed ?
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Xzellentgraphic: 2:45pm On Dec 12, 2021
Alusiizizi:

Please ...which material do you use to learn JavaScript can you share it with me
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 2:47pm On Dec 12, 2021
qtguru:
Yes boss, it has passed
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Alusiizizi(m): 2:54pm On Dec 12, 2021
akus6060:
Fat lie from pit of hell. Learn JavaScript in less than 4 to 5 hours or month?

Might seem so, but trust me, no lies here. The thing about programming languages, if you understand one, you understand them all. One of the first programming languages that I learned in school was C/C++, and learned rigorously. The reason why? If you didn't have a good understanding of the language, you couldn't pass the associated classes, period! This new found knowledge also came with insight into programming languages in general. Peculiar syntax is irrelevant. Open a book on programming and the first 6~7 chapters treat(almost invariably) the same subjects.
1) Hello world
2) Arithmetic/Logical operators
3) Logical commands(if..then else/Case() e.t.c)
4) Functions and arguments(pass by reference/Value)
5) Loops
6) Arrays
7)Structures/Classes

In C/C++ pointers would begin at the next chapter and be treated with 2~3 additional chapters afterwards. Trust my first hand experience, If you are able to master C/C++, then it'll be very difficult to find a programming syntax that you couldn't master, and quickly at that.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Alusiizizi(m): 2:58pm On Dec 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

There's absolutely no breadth. I would absolutely never advise anyone to get an engineering degree. I did most of these too for my own Engineering degree and it was absolutely useless. The only programming we did was C and C++ which we learnt absolutely nothing. Most of my mates still can't find work. I have friends who graduated electrical engineers who struggled for years on end to find work and no headway and they are now learning programming. Won't it have been better to just have studied computer science from the get go? Engineering is useless all of it but I still rate electrical higher than other engineering fields but comparing it to computer science and I would pick computer science over and over.

No offense, but to an old EE like myself, this is akin to blasphemy. Again, no offense. If I had a million more chances to do it again, it will still be EE over and over and over again.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:00pm On Dec 12, 2021
Alusiizizi:

No offense, but to an old EE like myself, this is akin to blasphemy. Again, no offense. If I had a million more chances to do it again, it will still be EE over and over and over again.

That's you if I could go back to my 16 year old sef. It will be computer science or absolutely nothing.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by samuelson06(m): 3:01pm On Dec 12, 2021
DrLevi:
Its not really that hard a task.

But you can't learn databases, REST API, request/response cycle and all that in 48 hours.

You can learn on the job but not without a solid grasp of the basics. In my opinion, you're getting ahead of yourself with this and should calm down and do more projects.

Please, can you list the courses I can take to become a full stack developer in a step by step fashion?
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Alusiizizi(m): 3:04pm On Dec 12, 2021
qtguru:

worked on is different from building components and custom features and debugging, no one not even an expert can tell you he picked JS in 4 hours, that's no possible maybe JS but React is also DOM API too. but for that scope of test maybe but when he enters the job , and he is expected to manage an existing code with design patterns how will he cope ?

Yes well for me it is. The trick is to get a "Gods eye view" if you will on the scheme of things. That Document Object Model that all HTML web pages fit into and how JS interacts with the DOM through various methods. There are numerous such methods, those that come with the package and others that must be obtained from appropriate CDN, so "I learned JavaScript" in 4~5 hours does not mean "I know all the JS Methods" off hand, that's very unlikely, but nevertheless I achieved a good understanding of JS in 4~5 hours to complete a job that i was working on, that indeed is true. Doesn't mean I am an expert or guru(whatever that means) in JS, just that I gained enough competency to be market functional in JS in 4~5 hours.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by All4good: 3:11pm On Dec 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Well since you have spent time what I will do is send in just the front-end and let the company know that I am just a front end developer.
Solid advice
God bless you more as you try to see others advance
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Alusiizizi(m): 3:15pm On Dec 12, 2021
Xzellentgraphic:

Please ...which material do you use to learn JavaScript can you share it with me

Go online. For starters, I would advise you to avoid video tutorials(honestly I don't see how anyone can get anything out of such resource, but that's just me). Read! Start with W3School. Start from the beginning and don't skip any chapter. The Idea is not just to learn how to do a few tricks in JS but the architecture. How JS combines with HTML in what's known as Document Object Model. After DOM, the tutorial goes into BOM(Browser Object Model) which basically treats how JS can interact with all those buttons that is found outside of the HTML document before delving into some much more specialized JS subjects. That would be a solid good start.
One more very important point: If you don't have any programming experience(or very limited) they you are advised not to read the material as you would a novel as you will end up with nothing. If you have XAMPP installed on your laptop, this would be the time to dust it off and program as you learn.
Here: https://www.w3schools.com/js/
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Alusiizizi(m): 3:19pm On Dec 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

That's you if I could go back to my 16 year old sef. It will be computer science or absolutely nothing.

Well, to each their own. It's all well.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by davidswhales(m): 3:40pm On Dec 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Op let this slide. There's always gonna be more opportunities and continue upskilling. At this point since you are getting interviews already I won't advise you to learn backend or do more projects. Start building up your algorithm skills. Those jobs are going to start coming in anytime soon. I really like the fact that you are very intentional about getting a job and have been applying to jobs. This is what I tell people. See the company is from Lebanon. I tell people with regards to tech enter LinkedIn and apply to jobs worldwide. It doesn't matter the country the skill is the same.

Well since you have spent time what I will do is send in just the front-end and let the company know that I am just a front end developer.
And I am Getsuga! Lol.. how you doing bro?
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by munstaqq: 5:32pm On Dec 12, 2021
bet9ja:

Please don't be desperate for a job. Spamming for job openings with over 200 applications is not a good proceeding. Stop applying and start enjoying building dummy projects and adding it to your portfolio while positioning yourself.

Always remember that a good Engineer doesn't look for a company to work for. In contrast, companies are always looking for a good Engineer to work with.

To give you a clue, always attend to interviews like you don't really need the job. It works better that way.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm currently in this phase of too busy building my portfolio and not applying for jobs.

To be honest, a recruiter reached out last week and I was scheduled for a 30 mins interview that same week. Just a little time to prepare.

Hmm being my first official interview ever, I performed terribly. I have been here beating myself up for missing this life saving opportunity.

Please can you explain more on "always attend to interviews like you don't really need the job"

Your response would mean a lot sir.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Powersurge: 6:05pm On Dec 12, 2021
Supreme145:
I've been learning frontend web development for a while now and after getting to a stage I react I decided to test the waters as regards to available jobs. I've been spamming LinkedIn and Indeed with applications though I apply for mostly Internship or Entry level positions.

Its been over two weeks I've been sending applications and only one Lebanese company has contacted me for an assessment and I've applied for over 200 jobs within that period.

The issue now is that the Lebanese company gave me a mini full stack project to complete within 48 hours though the time can be extended on request. Now I'm just a rookie frontend developer with no experience at all with back end, the frontend of the project has to be done with react which I can handle but I'm stuck at the back end.

I downloaded tones of tutorials on node js pertaining the project but I can't just wrap my head around it within such limited time frame. I have a little below 24 hours before the deadline and I've made little or no head way.

Even if I manage to get the project done won't I be biting more than I can chew knowing it's a full stack position? Or should I find a way around the project and learn on the job?. I wouldn't want my desperation for a job to put me into trouble.
Should I let this one slide and wait for opportunities that suit my current skill set while I further develop my skills? I haven't slept for the past 24 hours due to this project and I'm stressed out already.

Please my bosses I need your input on this matter.

Modified: I've been able to create a react app that displays the CSV file table on the frontend but I'm just overwhelmed with the back end

qtguru
Tranzengatsu
Kalerb

Never chicken out of challenge bro. Tell them you have done the front end. But u need time to work on the backend. Send them the works you have done so far. I am 90% sure you have find materials on YouTube thet can help u 60% of the way. Burn the fucking candle and face it head on. If u are able to fix 60% of the backend, submit it like dt. If in the end they didn't pick u, u have gained a milestone.

You can ask for help from gurus (u can join WeCodeNg on Telegram). But do it yourself. You go dey alright. Peace.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by MARX77(m): 7:06pm On Dec 12, 2021
This right here is an opportunity for growth. Don't be self defeated by your mentality
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Offpoint1: 8:27pm On Dec 12, 2021
MindHacker9000:
@OP

Do not get carried away and stress yourself by this job as there is no guarantee of a job offer after doing and submitting this test. This might just even be a quick work for their own client and they want to use you to do it for free. Try and build up a portfolio and you can even use this test as your own portfolio and just add some changes to make it look different and then put it online to show employers your skills or you can use it to bid for freelance contracts.

And also any company wanting an applicant to do this test in 2 hours is not serious, if you have done a similar project before and just reusing existing codes then fine but doing this for the first time cannot be done in 2 hours. In a real life work environment a project like this might take up to 3 months or more and you might even be working in a team.
You might right about the company, but
With few knowledge of programming I have, that project shouldn't take more than the 48hrs given there.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 12, 2021
Offpoint1:

You might right about the company, but
With few knowledge of programming I have, that project shouldn't take more than the 48hrs given there.

No problem, you can use a screen recorder to record you doing it on 2 hours and then post it for us to see on youtube
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Bossman(m): 11:39pm On Dec 12, 2021
I could not have said it better. I took C/C++ in school as well So the solid foundation made the transition to other languages easier. As mentioned, understanding the fundamentals is key. And it needs to be understood thoroughly!

Alusiizizi:

Might seem so, but trust me, no lies here. The thing about programming languages, if you understand one, you understand them all. One of the first programming languages that I learned in school was C/C++, and learned rigorously. The reason why? If you didn't have a good understanding of the language, you couldn't pass the associated classes, period! This new found knowledge also came with insight into programming languages in general. Peculiar syntax is irrelevant. Open a book on programming and the first 6~7 chapters treat(almost invariably) the same subjects.
1) Hello world
2) Arithmetic/Logical operators
3) Logical commands(if..then else/Case() e.t.c)
4) Functions and arguments(pass by reference/Value)
5) Loops
6) Arrays
7)Structures/Classes

In C/C++ pointers would begin at the next chapter and be treated with 2~3 additional chapters afterwards. Trust my first hand experience, If you are able to master C/C++, then it'll be very difficult to find a programming syntax that you couldn't master, and quickly at that.

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by privaldo: 5:30am On Dec 13, 2021
qtguru:

@qtguru Please can I send you an email in regards to Upwork, your advice/guidance will really be helpful.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by stankelz: 8:02am On Dec 13, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Well you will need knowledge of oop when solving some DSA problems especially those involving graphs and trees so yeah it's important.
hello bro, good morning. I’m having issues sending PM here . Pls kindly drop your mail so I can write to you. I’ll really appreciate if you do because i need to ask for advice or your thoughts on some things

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer / Project Topics Tips For Computer Science Undergraduates / How To Download Any Udemy Course For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.