Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,234 members, 7,807,781 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist (34239 Views)

8-year Old Fearlessly Preaches The Gospel On The Streets Of London (video) / Media Ignore Dad's Losing Battle Over 7yr Old's Transition Despite Public Outcry / "My 2-Year-Old Son Killed This Black Snake" - Mum Says, Thanks God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by flamingREED(m): 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2021
That was an intellectual knock out by the Christian boy. Also inform him that there's a gene that makes us seek God. It's called the God-gene.
Tetehjewels:

Personal experiences cannot be consistent because it's not a science.

This is why it is Personal. This is why we have different time zones. This is why we live in different places. This is why we have different experiences. This is why we love different types of food. This is why you are where you are typing this and I am where I am.

There is no general laboratory for every experience.

I hope you understand why I had to itemize each experience above

3 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Emperor88(m): 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2021
johnydon22:

In what planet did your son win the argument? First, your son tried to establish feeling as a basis for God's existence, committing the first blunder of mistaking emotions to somehow infer objective existence of an entity.

Then even though your son tried to establish feelings as a basis for the existence of God, he also agreed he never felt God but rather thinks about God a lot, how on earth is thinking about something a pointer that it exists in reality?

Thinking only alludes to conceptual existence not actual.

Example: Dragons does not exist because we think about them a lot, Captain America do not exist because we think of him a lot, the avengers do not exist because they awake intense emotions (feelings) in us whenever we read about their fictitious heroic deeds in comics or movies.

Conceptually, these fictitious ideas exist, in reality, they do not.

Your son strawmaned the other kids argument, based his on a faulty premise and just talked over the other kid.

There is absolutely nothing smart about your fictitious son, bring out your arguments proudly instead of trying to heap them on an eight year old that exists only in your imaginations.

Thank you... his son never won the argument, it’s just that the other boy was not really smart . Just use Nigeria as an example that God doesn’t exist. Gbam! He wins

8 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2021
LordReed:

An objective existing thing cannot be personalised without error. I am wearing brown shoes, anybody who sees me recognises I am wearing brown shoes. If someone comes and says I am wearing black shoes we realise something is going on with that person because he is attempting to personalise something objective. If a god exists and is revealing himself to individuals then either something is wrong with that method or with the individuals since they cannot agree on what they are experiencing.

Same way one can be experiencing morning in Africa while it's night time in China right? We can be seeing the same sky but different PERSONAL experiences.

It is our objective beliefs still isn't it?

5 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by lexy2014: 5:58pm On Dec 13, 2021
LordReed:

Yes the brain is the source of mind or more succinctly the brain is the conglomeration of functions which give rise to the mind, we have evidence that this is the case. We have no evidence that minds can be present without functional brains.

BTW you didn't answer my questions, if there is a mind behind the universe where is it located and how can we know it?

Can u fathom the universe? Can your mind accommodate the vastness of d universe?

3 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Okunga: 6:01pm On Dec 13, 2021
There is absolutely nothing smart about your fictitious son, bring out your arguments proudly instead of trying to heap them on an eight year old that exists only in your imaginations.[/quote]

I was reading his write up and I paused and said this is fiction joor. Crazy man dey disguise.

Poster is dumb to think everybody on Nairaland �

6 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by makavellidon: 6:01pm On Dec 13, 2021
Pastor righteouness2 your attention is needed here
Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by yusfatedeeprof(m): 6:01pm On Dec 13, 2021
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Jake420: 6:03pm On Dec 13, 2021
An amazing story although that won't really change the perception of the Greek kid or that of his father as atheists are usually very rigid in their way of thought. I recommend reading on Emanuel Swedenborg on Wikipedia for both you and your kid, he was an amazing Swedish scientist in the 18th century greatest at his time from the country, late in his life he had a vision of Jesus while in a bar followed by his spiritual transformation, he did various mystical things such as telling the queen of Sweden something only her dead brother would ever know whilst never meeting him and even with acclaimed atheists in the midst and the queen skeptical herself, he told her something no living person knew except her and even predicted the exct date of his death months before

2 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 13, 2021
Actually science is not sure of these phenomena, the mind.

It's still very much hard to tell. So objective manifestation of something to show its existence can be subjective.

Take for example.

The "existence" of magnetic field.
You may wonder, are these real.

The Simple answer is, you may choose to believe it exists or not.

But of course it's real because certain "objective manifestations" come to be in alignment with the existence of it.

Which boils down to the unseen things of science which science agrees to be true but can't behold.

5 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Havertz10: 6:03pm On Dec 13, 2021
flamingREED:
That was an intellectual knock out by the Christian boy. Also inform him that there's a gene that makes us seek God. It's called the God-gene.
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by ReacherSaidNoth: 6:03pm On Dec 13, 2021
Your son is like every regular Christian, places emotion and feelings over reason. It is this that allows people to believe in a loving god that sacrificed himself to himself, to save them from his own punishment.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by dettolgel: 6:04pm On Dec 13, 2021
@op for a 7 year I am impressed with his line of thoughts and arguments. He sure is a smart kid.

But you staying his friend father has been indoctrinating his friend is condescending. The truth is you have "brainwashed" your son in a different direction just as his friend's father has done to his son.

One thing for sure is that feelings could be misleading (I know that is not the point of this post I am just pointing that out incase anyone would want to hinge their proof of the existience of God on it).

11 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Karleb(m): 6:05pm On Dec 13, 2021
Tetehjewels:

smiley He is smarter than that. He is MY SON so I know

I hope so.

1 Like

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by am4truth(m): 6:05pm On Dec 13, 2021
Bluezy13:

If you weren't prepared, you shouldn't have brought it here.
Guess you were expecting accolades for your son

Plenty cane await you from the Devil if you failed to give your life to Christ.

1 Like

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by dettolgel: 6:05pm On Dec 13, 2021
StJohnofChrist:
Actually science is not sure of these phenomena, the mind.

It's still very much hard to tell. So objective manifestation of something to show its existence can be subjective.

Take for example.

The "existence" of magnetic field.
You may wonder, are these real.

The Simple answer is, you may choose to believe it exists or not.

But of course it's real because certain "objective manifestations" come to be in alignment with the existence of it.

Which boils down to the unseen things of science which science agrees to be true but can't behold.

Ain't there scientific test that can be replicated to prove the existence of magnetic field?

1 Like

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Worksunlimited: 6:06pm On Dec 13, 2021
Tetehjewels:
My Son is super smart and at 8 has already been given double promotion twice in school. The 1st one he got was in the 2nd term of that year and he was only able to join the new class in their 3rd term yet he still came first and the school thought it necessary to move him again. So he is now in a class with kids 3yrs older than he is and already besting them too.

We are a very God loving family and even though I have never sat my son down to talk to him about God, I do ensure he goes to Church with me and joins me in my daily morning devotions. I do notice that he has an extremely inquisitive mind and would rather watch educational channels on DStv than cartoons especially since they stopped showing his best cartoon "Goku"

So we have this neighbour who is from Greece. His 7 yr old son and my son can be considered best of friends and they visit each other at will. So on this day he came to visit and while they were hanging out I suddenly heard them arguing from his room. Normally their arguments would be over a video game or something else but this one was interesting. They were arguing about God!

I stood by the door and listened. Apparently that day revealed to me that my neighbour is an atheist but I never knew and he has been indoctrinating his 7yr old son along those lines because I clearly heard the boy say to my Son, "God does not exist, he is just a story"

So here is the convo

Him: God is not real, He does not exist, He is just a story

My Son: Ethan what did you say?

Him: God is not real, He is just like Santa who also isn't real

My Son: How do you know he isn't real?

Him: Well my dad said he isn't real because he just isn't. Have you seen him?

My Son: So your dad says God isn't real because he hasn't seen him? So something isn't real because you can't see it? But what about feeling Him?

Him: Feelings are not something we can um um fully determine because they can be misleading

My Son: How can you say Feelings are misleading, you are my friend right? (He goes yeah?) So how are you sure you are my friend if your feelings can be misleading. Can you say your feelings misled you into being my friend?

Him: No that's not what I was trying to say

My Son cuts him off with a sharp tone: So if your feelings did not mislead you into being my friend how then do feelings mislead you?

Him: Have you felt God before?

My Son: No but I do know that I think about him a lot

Him: umm umm but How would you possibly be thinking about something that does not exist

My Son: Exactly Ethan!

At this point I step into the room and cheerfully say Okay guys playtime is over (because I needed to stop the argument and get my Son to study by asking his friend to go home)

However his final comment "Exactly Ethan" resonated with me and made me think that comment was actually directed at Ethan's dad and not Ethan because apparently he had been talking about the non existence of God to his Son A LOT!

So how do you constantly talk or think about Something or Someone that doesn't exist?

Blessed is he that hasn't seen but yet believes. John 20:29..

I believe in God, Jesus and the Holy spirit.

God don save me countless of times, I have seen death, survived and left people wondering how I did...

Nothing wey you fit tell me, The trinity exists..

5 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by SmartyPants(m): 6:07pm On Dec 13, 2021
Tetehjewels:
My Son is super smart and at 8 has already been given double promotion twice in school. The 1st one he got was in the 2nd term of that year and he was only able to join the new class in their 3rd term yet he still came first and the school thought it necessary to move him again. So he is now in a class with kids 3yrs older than he is and already besting them too.

We are a very God loving family and even though I have never sat my son down to talk to him about God, I do ensure he goes to Church with me and joins me in my daily morning devotions. I do notice that he has an extremely inquisitive mind and would rather watch educational channels on DStv than cartoons especially since they stopped showing his best cartoon "Goku"

So we have this neighbour who is from Greece. His 7 yr old son and my son can be considered best of friends and they visit each other at will. So on this day he came to visit and while they were hanging out I suddenly heard them arguing from his room. Normally their arguments would be over a video game or something else but this one was interesting. They were arguing about God!

I stood by the door and listened. Apparently that day revealed to me that my neighbour is an atheist but I never knew and he has been indoctrinating his 7yr old son along those lines because I clearly heard the boy say to my Son, "God does not exist, he is just a story"

So here is the convo

My Son: So your dad says God isn't real because he hasn't seen him? So something isn't real because you can't see it? But what about feeling Him?

Him: Feelings are not something we can um um fully determine because they can be misleading

My Son: How can you say Feelings are misleading, you are my friend right? (He goes yeah?) So how are you sure you are my friend if your feelings can be misleading. Can you say your feelings misled you into being my friend?

My Son cuts him off with a sharp tone: So if your feelings did not mislead you into being my friend how then do feelings mislead you?

Him: umm umm but How would you possibly be thinking about something that does not exist

At this point I step into the room and cheerfully say Okay guys playtime is over (because I needed to stop the argument and get my Son to study by asking his friend to go home)

However his final comment "Exactly Ethan" resonated with me and made me think that comment was actually directed at Ethan's dad and not Ethan because apparently he had been talking about the non existence of God to his Son A LOT!

So how do you constantly talk or think about Something or Someone that doesn't exist?

You're an adult so you must be smart enough to reason beyond this point. An athiest probably grew up in religious home where he would have been taught about God a lot.

Thinking about God a lot does not prove that there is God, though it might suggest the athiest is conflicted.

4 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by EyenNtokon: 6:07pm On Dec 13, 2021
Bluezy13:

Permit me to comment on this quote as it was not directed to me.

It is insulting to fallaciously equate your contender's remark to your son's sense of judgement and inadvertently adding that you'll direct his post to your son for a "better" reply.
It portrays a father who thinks his son is smarter that himself such that himself does not have the capacity to intellectually withstand a fellows propositions but seeks solace under his own 8 years old son for intellectual redemption.
I must confess that your maturity is questionable.

My inference is not on the matter but on your manner of approach as it depicts your sense of reasoning.
Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by EyenNtokon: 6:10pm On Dec 13, 2021
Bluezy13:

Permit me to comment on this quote as it was not directed to me.

It is insulting to fallaciously equate your contender's remark to your son's sense of judgement and inadvertently adding that you'll direct his post to your son for a "better" reply.
It portrays a father who thinks his son is smarter that himself such that himself does not have the capacity to intellectually withstand a fellows propositions but seeks solace under his own 8 years old son for intellectual redemption.
I must confess that your maturity is questionable.

My inference is not on the matter but on your manner of approach as it depicts your sense of reasoning.
one thing i like about nairalanders is that, you guys are foolishly intellegence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 13, 2021
ReacherSaidNoth:
Your son is a like every regular Christian, places emotion and feelings over reason. It is this that allows people to believe in a loving god that sacrificed himself to himself, to save them from his own punishment.

This is why I love him to death. It's because he has emotions and feelings and always aligns them with his reasoning practically all the time. He can be very opinionated yes but never condescending. He loves the challenge of a good debate so you are wrong with your assessment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Depressed101: 6:10pm On Dec 13, 2021
Tetehjewels:

So here is the convo

omo your son is a genuis. Pls protect him at all cost... He's a gem

2 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by peacettw: 6:12pm On Dec 13, 2021
You spoilt the whole tale by beginning with a rather insipid monologue on how super smart your son is.

I see nothing fantastic in the discussion between the duo. Your 'supersmart' son should provide a more superior reason as to the reason God exist. Basing the entire premise of God on just feelings is a weak argument at best.

It is very important that we all learn to respect each others religion or lack of it. Being an atheist doesn't make one any less of a human being. Infact, I like to believe that being neutral in these matters is truly the best form of living, free of prejudice and righteous anger.

My thoughts

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by LordReed(m): 6:12pm On Dec 13, 2021
StJohnofChrist:
Not really response to stimuli.
It's that they are conscious, they seek to live, avoid death and have feelings to.
According to Wikipedia: The mind is the set of faculties responsible for mental phenomena. Often the term is also identified with the phenomena themselves. ... They are responsible for various mental phenomena, like perception, pain experience, belief, desire, intention and emotion.

So since an oyster does desire, and has perception, we can say therefore it does have a mind, even though a brain is absent, yes?

Is that satisfactory of a creature with a mind?
Or you subscribe to the belief that having a mind means thinking about all these complex stuff we are saying and things like that?

Sorry, these questions are rhetoric.

How do you know an oyster desires?

Like I pointed out a brain is required for a mind, I didn't say a brain is needed for life. I think you are conflating the 2. Not all living things have brains and to imagine that because they live and respond to their environment that therefore have minds is stretching of what a mind means.

A mind is how we describe the totality of the higher cognitive functions. These cognitive functions we have evidence are taking place in the brain. Any living thing without a brain cannot have these higher cognitive functions and therefore cannot have a mind.

4 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 13, 2021
Okunga:

There is absolutely nothing smart about your fictitious son, bring out your arguments proudly instead of trying to heap them on an eight year old that exists only in your imaginations.

I was reading his write up and I paused and said this is fiction joor. Crazy man dey disguise.

Poster is dumb to think everybody on Nairaland �

Well believe what you want. That was a word for word account and convo my son had and I have posted his response to a comment on page 1.

After that comment he needed to take a nap which he is doing now.

2 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Havertz10: 6:13pm On Dec 13, 2021
EyenNtokon:

one thing i like about nairalanders is that, you guys are foolishly intellegence
cheesy

1 Like

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by tollyboy5(m): 6:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
Tetehjewels:

You seem angry at a lot of things but certainly my Son or his little argument cannot be one of the things that has you all blowing hot.

First of all where in my OP did I remotely hint at my son winning the argument. I rather left it as anticlimactic.

I do know you are an atheist but then trying to indirectly bully my son through your comments with your choice of language is laughable and I am sure he would also laugh at this by the time I show him once he comes back from school.

I will type his response to you as he tells me because I want him to be the one to respond to you intellectually. That is how I got him to become smarter than those ahead of him and you certainly wouldn't be any different

Good luck with arguing with an 8yr old who knows how to hold his own any day of the week. smiley
don't do unnecessary things. Your son shouldn't argue no more with a neighbor.

Everyone train their children the way they want.
Stop such argument and your son can't beat any atheist here.
Most atheist here grew up from religious home also

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Digitallegendzx(m): 6:14pm On Dec 13, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
No surprises that the more intelligent and wiser child believes in God.

This agrees with the general pattern in history, where those who believe in God have been observed to be exceedingly more intelligent than their ungodly peers including athiests.

Daniel 1:19-20 (KJV)

And the king communed with them; and among them all was found none like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: therefore stood they before the king.
And in all matters of wisdom and understanding, that the king enquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers that were in all his realm.

This is also reflected in modern science where Isaac Newton, generally considered to be the greatest scientist in history was proudly a believer in God.

The idea by atheists that are more intelligent than those who believe in God is merely a figment of their imaginations, as history has clearly proven this to be baseless and false.

Your neighbor's son is surely in very good company. It's only a matter of time before your son makes him see how foolish it was to deny the existence of God as Isaac Newton did to those of his day.

God bless.
see this werey

3 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 13, 2021
SmartyPants:

You're an adult so you must be smart enough to reason beyond this point. An athiest probably grew up in religious home where he would have been taught about God a lot.

Thinking about God a lot does not prove that there is God, though it might suggest the athiest is conflicted.

Atheism is a rejection of God
An Atheist states clearly that God does not exist

So how can there be any kind of conflict in their thoughts?

2 Likes

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by sammysmiles(m): 6:16pm On Dec 13, 2021
According to Oxford scientists, who claims God doesn't exist..... humans have barely explored 2% of the world's constituents... So humans are yet to discover about 98% of the earth constitutents... So God can't fit into the 98%? You don't know a whole 98% of jxt the earth, talk more of other planetory bodies and the solar system in general and you said God doesn't exist? How were you able to come to the conclusion when billions of people believe in his existence? Probably those billions of people are jxt hallucinating right?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by 1Gojaf0: 6:16pm On Dec 13, 2021
MAKE GOOD MONEY THIS DECEMBER;
SINGLE TWO-ODD;
KICKOFF THIS MIDNIGHT ;
WHATS-APP ME AND GET IT FOR FREE!!!

0 8 1 7 9 1 4 6 0 3 4
Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by kolnel: 6:16pm On Dec 13, 2021
Bluezy13:

You committed a fallacy of hasty generalization and also have wrong notion about atheism.
Atheism is not a movement. Atheism is a belief in unbelieve.
Atheism is diversified. It is erroneous to narrowly limit it to the state of being "against" God's existence.

You like pizza, I don't like pizza.
That doesn't mean I am "against" you eating pizza. Notwithstanding, I may also be against you eating pizza. So don't fallaciously generalize the impression that I am against you eating pizza.
Conclusively, atheism is of various categories.

nice argument.
I applaud your intelligence.

1 Like

Re: My 8 Year Old Son's Debate With A 7yr Old Atheist by bularuz(m): 6:16pm On Dec 13, 2021
Tetehjewels:

I don't know what you are on about. Atheists are generally against the existence of any God or spiritual essence so it's got nothing to do with my God.

Their anti-belief has birthed in them the desire to always look down rather than looking "up"

This is a general misconception, while atheists do not believe in the existence of God mostly due to inadequate proof they are not against any religion. Unlike antitheists, ironically many religions are antitheistic to other religious

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

COZA Celebrates Easter With "Jesus Paid It All" Event!!! / Gay, Jide Macaulay To Be Ordained An Anglican Priest In The Church Of England / Bishop Oyedepo's Family Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.