Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,791 members, 7,806,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? (9186 Views)

Meet Akintola Williams, The First Chartered Accountant In Africa / Olutoyin Olakunrin Slumps And Dies In Church (First Female Chartered Accountant) / Man Orphaned At 2, Becomes A Chartered Accountant (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Jaqenhghar: 12:26pm On Dec 16, 2021
Carparts888:
We are in a tech world even accounting softwares like sage were developed by a software engineer.
Do you know that you could become a chartered accountant but if u lack experience, its just like another degree paper. A company will choose someone that has years of experience as an accountant than someone who is chartered and has no experience.
So to you the software engineer just got up and developed accounting software abi. He didnt need to consult an actual accountant or a subject matter expert he just went ahead. That is like you developing a surgery tool without the input of the doctors. How smart

5 Likes

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Thinktwicemybro: 12:28pm On Dec 16, 2021
contigiency:

Your talk shows your years. It’s never good to talk on something you know nothing about. Do you think there’s a course today that don’t have software that will be able to give you almost what you want? For your information, there’s none. But that does not mean such softwares can be used as complete substitutes to professional services. So be guided.
In your mind you have said something
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Jaqenhghar: 12:30pm On Dec 16, 2021
Stephen0mozzy:

This is the most honest submission so far.

Software Engineering is a life time non-stop learning field o.. And not for the lily livered... You keep learning new releases, getting certifications upon certification... But if you love creating automated solutions.. Welcome to SEng
There is a reason why the successful software engineers are either introverted, or those who started coding s8nce they were children.
If you are in your 30s, its going to be very hard to put in thay level of committment.
Most of them are just looking at the salary they think the job is like civil service work where you sign in, gist all day and go home.
There is a group on reddit for software engineers talking about the challenges they face. Majority of the. Talk about being burnt out due to the volume of work. I have heard of 2 instances where SE had to be hospitalized because of stress

2 Likes

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by JaskanFactor: 12:33pm On Dec 16, 2021
As a software engineer , i can tell you Being a Software Engineer gives more prospects and opportunity to be self employed than chattered accountant.

Both require someone who has no problem with studying , but software engineer has far better career prospects.
By that i mean technology in general sells more as a skill.

With the right experience you can easily get job with foreign company working from home in Nigeria.

Some of the software skills i know that sell close to my field which is robotics and Gaming.

.NET, Azure, AWL, C++, CSharp, AI, Embedded IOT Software, Unreal Engine, Unity Engine.

Robotics related skills selling like hot cake right now.

Also i give you a very good tip that cant fail, Google jobs for software, and see which skills they are frequently looking for and train towards those.

But remember you are most likely to be earning good money doing something you actually like and enjoy, cause working had is easier if you like the field, else you may get tired and not be a able to professional enough to earn good money.

So if you like accountancy , then focus on accountancy/ business management software platforms and learn those, like SAP etc software

In my case my interest was robotics , and i had to learn electronics/some mechanical and software to be professional in my field.
But as i got older i could no longer tolerate the extremely racist working environment Europe, and decided to retrain to develop software for Games and AI , basically a career that i can do from home and find my own customers online which for gaming is many.

As Software for robotics developer the projects are usually multimillion / billion projects and you have to work with lots of oyinbo an get your career destroyed by racists cause you have yo mingle with them everyday.

As software developer for gaming, i get customers through online forums working from home.

So Apart from just what you're interested, you also might find it useful to go for career where you can work from home, especially if it will involve working with oyinbo, they can easily turn coming to work into police incident for you, the sort of trouble you only get in bad night club you find at work.

So you can pretty much follow the software for any industry area cause every single industry has its own software field.

Apart from your day job, you can also develop your own Apps , you can keep both Accountancy and Software ,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by CSTRR: 12:34pm On Dec 16, 2021
If it was only as easy as just choosing software engineering, everybody would do it.

You can choose software engineering, but will it choose you?

To be good in software engineering is not easy o.
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by digitite: 12:34pm On Dec 16, 2021
Software Engineer.
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by stayclearofme: 12:35pm On Dec 16, 2021
Bakarehabib02:
Choose one nah no Dey ask us
I wonder o... Person go follow his heart desires.
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by stayclearofme: 12:37pm On Dec 16, 2021
Fanelgroup:
Hello fam. I want you guys to help me decide a career path, I do not want to invest my time and money to a career path that might be less relevant in 10-15 years time from now.
Thank you all
So you mean you don't have your own heart desires? People have to decide for you.
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by airsaylongcome: 12:37pm On Dec 16, 2021
oluwaseyi0:
from a software engineer dating an auditor/accountant, I'll greatly advise you to pick software engineering

I earn roughly 7x my girls salary excluding side gigs, I can switch jobs almost twice a year for higher pay, accounting job availability is simply not what it use to be

Are you talking remote accounting jobs similar to the remote Software jobs you are doing? Cos I'm certain there's a plethora of Accounting jobs if you know where to look

1 Like

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Maj196(m): 12:42pm On Dec 16, 2021
Software Engineering but one wicked bug can make you run mad. Believe that

2 Likes

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Carparts888(m): 12:42pm On Dec 16, 2021
It's not compulsory to comment on any post or you will talk off point.
Jaqenhghar:

So to you the software engineer just got up and developed accounting software abi. He didnt need to consult an actual accountant or a subject matter expert he just went ahead. That is like you developing a surgery tool without the input of the doctors. How smart
Did I mention one just wake up and develop softwares overnight? Read my comment again so you won't sound unintelligent and put words in people's mouth.
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Carparts888(m): 12:50pm On Dec 16, 2021
He has but probably wants to get people's opinion
stayclearofme:

So you mean you don't have your own heart desires? People have to decide for you.

1 Like

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Stephen0mozzy: 1:18pm On Dec 16, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

There is a reason why the successful software engineers are either introverted, or those who started coding s8nce they were children.
If you are in your 30s, its going to be very hard to put in thay level of committment.
Most of them are just looking at the salary they think the job is like civil service work where you sign in, gist all day and go home.
There is a group on reddit for software engineers talking about the challenges they face. Majority of the. Talk about being burnt out due to the volume of work. I have heard of 2 instances where SE had to be hospitalized because of stress

You can imagine! That's just the reality o. The pay is good but there are some luxuries you willingly or unwillingly let go afterwards

1 Like

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Jaqenhghar: 1:31pm On Dec 16, 2021
Carparts888:
It's not compulsory to comment on any post or you will talk off point.Did I mention one just wake up and develop softwares overnight? Read my comment again so you won't sound unintelligent and put words in people's mouth.
Mr man I am simply responding to what you wrote. I cant read your mind or know your intentions. If you care to clarify further pls do so without sounding so waspish. This is not a forum for scholars or people who want to sound intelligent. If you were so concenrned about sounding intelligent you will be more coherent in your write up.
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Yankee101: 2:36pm On Dec 16, 2021
Both jobs are like plumbers when building a new house

Do you want to be a plumber?

Or the owner of the house?
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Carparts888(m): 2:46pm On Dec 16, 2021
Oga no be only you buhari government dey frustrate.please no transfer the aggression to me. Op just want advice so let's do that in peace. Thanks.
Jaqenhghar:

Mr man I am simply responding to what you wrote. I cant read your mind or know your intentions. If you care to clarify further pls do so without sounding so waspish. This is not a forum for scholars or people who want to sound intelligent. If you were so concenrned about sounding intelligent you will be more coherent in your write up.
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by richmote: 2:49pm On Dec 16, 2021
JaskanFactor:
As a software engineer , i can tell you Being a Software Engineer gives more prospects and opportunity to be self employed than chattered accountant.

Both require someone who has no problem with studying , but software engineer has far better career prospects.
By that i mean technology in general sells more as a skill.

With the right experience you can easily get job with foreign company working from home in Nigeria.

Some of the software skills i know that sell close to my field which is robotics and Gaming.

.NET, Azure, AWL, C++, CSharp, AI, Embedded IOT Software, Unreal Engine, Unity Engine.

Robotics related skills selling like hot cake right now.

Also i give you a very good tip that cant fail, Google jobs for software, and see which skills they are frequently looking for and train towards those.

But remember you are most likely to be earning good money doing something you actually like and enjoy, cause working had is easier if you like the field, else you may get tired and not be a able to professional enough to earn good money.

So if you like accountancy , then focus on accountancy/ business management software platforms and learn those, like SAP etc software

In my case my interest was robotics , and i had to learn electronics/some mechanical and software to be professional in my field.
But as i got older i could no longer tolerate the extremely racist working environment Europe, and decided to retrain to develop software for Games and AI , basically a career that i can do from home and find my own customers online which for gaming is many.

As Software for robotics developer the projects are usually multimillion / billion projects and you have to work with lots of oyinbo an get your career destroyed by racists cause you have yo mingle with them everyday.

As software developer for gaming, i get customers through online forums working from home.

So Apart from just what you're interested, you also might find it useful to go for career where you can work from home, especially if it will involve working with oyinbo, they can easily turn coming to work into police incident for you, the sort of trouble you only get in bad night club you find at work.

So you can pretty much follow the software for any industry area cause every single industry has its own software field.

Apart from your day job, you can also develop your own Apps , you can keep both Accountancy and Software ,

Which country are you residing in

1 Like

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Albertone(m): 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2021
oluwaseyi0:
from a software engineer dating an auditor/accountant, I'll greatly advise you to pick software engineering

I earn roughly 7x my girls salary excluding side gigs, I can switch jobs almost twice a year for higher pay, accounting job availability is simply not what it use to be

How can I be a software engineer?
I learnt HTML,CSS and basic JS.Is this the right part?
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Naijatask: 3:59pm On Dec 16, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:
There's no job that is not being replaced by AI.
In fact, Software engineering is being focused on. Check OpenAI codex. Nevertheless, these changes don't happen at once regardless of the estimated time of replacement.

And who is going to implement the API they build? A robot? Isn't is the same developers who are going to do it?
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by sulaak(m): 4:06pm On Dec 16, 2021
Thinktwicemybro:
You can develop an accounting software that will earn you a PhD in accounting without studying accounting.

Probably download an opensource accounting software from Github for free
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by sulaak(m): 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

Stop spreading false information. If you look for negative information you will find it. You can suffer stress and breakdown working as Uber driver on the street of Lagos.

I worked in engineering for many years and only moved into IT in my very late 30s and still rose to the top of my IT career which is still going very strong as of today, I am currently an employer.

Age is not an issue in Software Engineering, as long as you are prepared to work very hard in developing your skills and competency by working on complex projects, you can rise to the very top of this young industry. The brilliant of Software Engr is that all the skills that you required are online on youtube or GitHub.

Your old skills can be easily transferred into a career software engr especially if you have experience in Engr, accounting, management etc.

I will suggest working on Blockchain or Ominiverse/Metaverse projects.

5 Likes

Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2021
Naijatask:

And who is going to implement the API they build? A robot? Isn't is the same developers who are going to do it?
So all the developers in the world would do it?
Abi you think there wouldn't be further developments?
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by dj5naira(m): 6:05pm On Dec 16, 2021
Chartered Engineer.
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Naijatask: 6:43pm On Dec 16, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

So all the developers in the world would do it?
Abi you think there wouldn't be further developments?

And who will automate the tasks? The robots/AI themselves? Or you think clients have the time and patience to learn how to automate tasks themselves?
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2021
Naijatask:

And who will automate the tasks? The robots/AI themselves? Or you think clients have the time and patience to learn how to automate tasks themselves?
I give up on you o
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Jaqenhghar: 9:00pm On Dec 16, 2021
sulaak:

Stop spreading false information. If you look for negative information you will find it. You can suffer stress and breakdown working as Uber driver on the street of Lagos.

I worked in engineering for many years and only moved into IT in my very late 30s and still rose to the top of my IT career which is still going very strong as of today, I am currently an employer.

Age is not an issue in Software Engineering, as long as you are prepared to work very hard in developing your skills and competency by working on complex projects, you can rise to the very top of this young industry. The brilliant of Software Engr is that all the skills that you required are online on youtube or GitHub.

Your old skills can be easily transferred into a career software engr especially if you have experience in Engr, accounting, management etc.

I will suggest working on Blockchain or Ominiverse/Metaverse projects.

Nigger shut TF up. I said its hard not impossible. Just because it works for you doesnt mean it is so for everyone. You are proba lu and exception trying to pass it off as if your case is the general rule.
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by danyomo: 9:31pm On Dec 16, 2021
[quote author=oluwaseyi0 post=108549309]
Can you mentor me sir
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Bossman(m): 9:38pm On Dec 16, 2021
The absolute truth. There is a lot burnout in this field. Anything that pays well is not easy. It's not everyone that can take on deployment or production support on Friday and Saturday night. And these can go on for hours. Nevertheless, I would still advice OP to go for Software Engineering/ It definitely has a better future.

Stephen0mozzy:

This is the most honest submission so far.

Software Engineering is a life time non-stop learning field o.. And not for the lily livered... You keep learning new releases, getting certifications upon certification... But if you love creating automated solutions.. Welcome to SEng
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Bossman(m): 9:43pm On Dec 16, 2021
Not with Software Engineering oh. You will be tested! They will want to see that you can code and that you have good problems solving skills. This is one field where you actually have to know your stuff. Otherwise, you will not survive in it.
olufolarin2222:
Profession does not matter, how connect are u goes a long way...
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Demosolar: 11:22pm On Dec 16, 2021
Life is sweet and good here in Nigeria with constant power supply from solar inverter systems that generate clean, green and pollution free electricity. Check out Otegbeye Ademola on facebook for more information and details.

#Let the sun supply all your electricity needs
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by Kaysalas(m): 6:44am On Dec 17, 2021
harsysky:
Both won't go obsolete. You can be both in one course. Search the net
Please tell us more. Just mention the name of the course please, let's then dig further
Re: Software Engineer Or Chartered Accountant? by DaCharis2016: 9:57am On Dec 17, 2021
oluwaseyi0:

pls how can I learn software engineering, and what are it's differences from web development cos I'm considering learning web development as well. Kindly help with their differences in everything.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SPSS/EVIEW MATERIALS AND TRAINING (DATA ANALYSIS) / Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? / How To Apply NNPC 2017 Job Recruitment - Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.