Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,232 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? (1674 Views)

Why Is Everyone Rushing Into Programming? / My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far / I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 7:28am On Dec 17, 2021
I have always wanted to be a software dev. I thought myself how to code, joined some online internship.

One of the mistakes I made was not defining my path on time. I spent so much learning css. If that has been invested in the backend I will not be in the same place. I later learnt backend. One other mistake I made is not documenting my journey and letting people know what I do on SM. I didn't really push for job or internship.

Now I have a no coding job I'm not sure I have a feature. Pays is not great and distance to work is taking all my money so I don't have time to practice anymore and it's like I'm forgetting all I have learnt.
Like NLenders will say I will still follow my heart.

But your advise will go a long way, have you been here before? How did you do it? Are you hiring for paid internships (internship yes, I still feel like I have a lot to learn. I could fit for entry level Node JS developer)?

PS: I later discovered that the best way to learn is to build project. But my cons are; I'm not in a good location with 24/7 power. Power is only sure at the night also my laptop is not in good shape.

==========
UPDATE: I resigned, didn't resume for the new year.
<<<<<<<<<<

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by endsarrrs(f): 7:33am On Dec 17, 2021
Hmm
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by olukunle50: 7:57am On Dec 17, 2021
If you are really passionate about programming, those lapses you mentioned shouldn't be a problem, I started programming like 2 years ago, and I still teach in one secondary school close to my house, I only code at night, like 4hrs everyday, am now a full stack (self learning) developer, though, passionately looking for job in the programming world... If you are really serious about it, wake up that same night you have light and start coding...

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:00am On Dec 17, 2021
olukunle50:
If you are really passionate about programming, those lapses you mentioned shouldn't be a problem, I started programming like 2 years ago, and I still teach in one secondary school close to my house, I only code at night, like 4hrs everyday, am now a full stack (self learning) developer, though, passionately looking for job in the programming world... If you are really serious about it, wake up that same night you have light and start coding...

Not that I can't stay awake, but like I pointed my job location is far away from home. I get home so late and have to leave for work very early. Weekends? The effects of waking 4 am and back home 10 pm is always on me. Plus I still have to do some chores and attend meetings.
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by olukunle50: 8:06am On Dec 17, 2021
JoyousFurnitire:

Not that I can't stay awake, but like I pointed my job location is far away from home. I get home so late and have to leave for work very early. Weekends? The effects of waking 4 am and back home 10 pm is always on me. Plus I still have to do some chores and attend meetings.

My job is very stressful too, but through discipline I get used to itt
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:26am On Dec 17, 2021
olukunle50:

My job is very stressful too, but through discipline I get used to itt

This is not about comparing jobs tho.
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by AfriNotesNEWS: 8:29am On Dec 17, 2021
Don't quit ur job if your programming career is not yet paying all your bill's

Am a Developer...and I most tell you.. only Google alone takes at least 300 USD from us monthly

With Google November update.. we have lost over 5000 US Dollar...

Work and keep investing in ur skill set...

Don't quit

Growing tech today... Requires money..

Even if you want to advertise ur skill on paid ads here on Nairaland.. the start is from 20k..

Freebies traffic are dyin a bit...so work and investment till ur career is strong enough to pay the bills

Best of luck
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:39am On Dec 17, 2021
AfriNotesNEWS:
Don't quit ur job if your programming career is not yet paying all your bill's

Am a Developer...and I most tell you.. only Google alone takes at least 300 USD from us monthly

With Google November update.. we have lost over 5000 US Dollar...

Work and keep investing in ur skill set...

Don't quit

Growing tech today... Requires money..

Even if you want to advertise ur skill on paid ads here on Nairaland.. the start is from 20k..

Freebies traffic are dyin a bit...so work and investment till ur career is strong enough to pay the bills

Best of luck

Thank you for your input. But this job isn't given me the time to up my skill. And I don't even think I'm in love with the job

I'm also scared, the reason I had to open a thread.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by FanOfMyself: 8:57am On Dec 17, 2021
Quit your current job and get into programming full time. But before you do that, make sure you have a good laptop and you can afford data and electricity. Many people who are not professional software developers will rattle on how you should do both... lolz. The think learning coding is that easy. You will most likely remain the same level you are in programming if you don't give it a full attention and hence remain unemployable as a developer. Also look out for bootcamps and paid internship etc.
Note: I advised you because you made it clear that your current job is so so demanding.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 11:14am On Dec 17, 2021
lalasticlala Seun
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by Xinjin: 12:57pm On Dec 17, 2021
I'd advice you to quit to fulfill your dream, but make sure you have enough savings to carry you along. note that it may take you long to get a programming job

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by LikeAking: 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2021
Bros be patient na small, small.

Good luck.
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 4:30pm On Dec 17, 2021
FanOfMyself:
Quit your current job and get into programming full time. But before you do that, make sure you have a good laptop and you can afford data and electricity. Many people who are not professional software developers will rattle on how you should do both... lolz. The think learning coding is that easy. You will most likely remain the same level you are in programming if you don't give it a full attention and hence remain unemployable as a developer. Also look out for bootcamps and paid internship etc.
Note: I advised you because you made it clear that your current job is so so demanding.

Much appreciated
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 4:31pm On Dec 17, 2021
Xinjin:
I'd advice you to quit to fulfill your dream, but make sure you have enough savings to carry you along. note that it may take you long to get a programming job

Thank you, I'm trying an internship approach. My plan is to get the internship before or January.
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 21, 2021
You can get a new laptop and even 2kva gen from your first 2 pay if you play your game right.

I'll advice you to quit immediately. Don't look back.

Currently, Power and Internet are your best friends.
You need to solve them.

If you're focused, you'll get help

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by Kingzo20(m): 9:06pm On Dec 21, 2021
Don't quit it if it can't pay ur bills...

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by Deicide: 10:17pm On Dec 21, 2021
Online internship where?
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 1:11pm On Dec 22, 2021
Deicide:
Online internship where?
Go on Twitter, join communities. There're usually internships for beginners

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 1:12pm On Dec 22, 2021
Ovaltine:
You can get a new laptop and even 2kva gen from your first 2 pay if you play your game right.

I'll advice you to quit immediately. Don't look back.

Currently, Power and Internet are your best friends.
You need to solve them.

If you're focused, you'll get help

Thank you
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by Kaydon001: 3:56pm On Dec 24, 2021
Don’t quit bro.. unless you have plenty funds stacks somewhere for upkeep..
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 25, 2021
You need to eventually save money and quit your job so you can have space to grow in programming.

Log on to enyata dot com/academy/apply

Join the academy and find out if you are eligible, they are also giving out 50 macbooks.

Even if you don't get it, locate their office if you are in Lagos. Explain your situation, show them what you have done and if they see that you are serious enough, they will set you up on something great. So the decision is yours to take.
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 11:51pm On Dec 26, 2021
truthsayer009:
You need to eventually save money and quit your job so you can have space to grow in programming.

Log on to enyata dot com/academy/apply

Join the academy and find out if you are eligible, they are also giving out 50 macbooks.

Even if you don't get it, locate their office if you are in Lagos. Explain your situation, show them what you have done and if they see that you are serious enough, they will set you up on something great. So the decision is yours to take.

Thank you, I did apply to Enyata for the laptop.

I should add that I'm unable to save because the money I should be saving is going into transportation. It's just my second pay because I just finished NYSC and I got that job immediately.

To add having to wake up 4 am and coming back past 10pm is affecting my health.
Re: Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? by BlaqFaze: 6:58am On Dec 27, 2021
Get a programming job first before you quit your present job..

(1) (Reply)

His Mysql Query Returned Duplicate Output. Help Him / How Can I Decrypt Links For Encrypted Images Or Picture / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.