Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Chemical Or Manual Clearing - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Chemical Or Manual Clearing (395 Views)

Manual Clearing Of Virginland / What Strong Chemical Can I Use To Get Rid Of Termites From My House? / Quality Bulldozer Land Clearing Service Nationwide. Reliable services. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chemical Or Manual Clearing by Aflix(m): 8:04pm On Dec 17, 2021
Good evening. Please I need advise from experts on this matter. My uncle is planning to start a cassava and maize farm. The size of land is 5 acres. The issue we are on now is the issue of clearing. What method of clearing is best suitable for a land of the aforementioned size; manual clearing or use of herbicide

Ps:The bush is quite thick and composed majorly of elephant grass and there are no trees in the land.

Lalasticlala, Seun pls FP
Re: Chemical Or Manual Clearing by nuelleoz(m): 11:02pm On Dec 17, 2021
Aflix:
Good evening. Please I need advise from experts on this matter. My uncle is planning to start a cassava and maize farm. The size of land is 5 acres. The issue we are on now is the issue of clearing. What method of clearing is best suitable for a land of the aforementioned size; manual clearing or use of herbicide

Ps:The bush is quite thick and composed majorly of elephant grass and there are no trees in the land.

Lalasticlala, Seun pls FP
For the aforementioned size of land the best clearing method is as follows from top to least.

1. Farm machines (hire a tractor) to do the job.
2. Manual labour(incorporate clearing and spraying)

**Using a tractor, you Plough, harrow, then ridge the piece of land, then spray your post-emergence herbicide. Then plant your crop.

**Using manual labour, clear the 5 acres then leave it for some days(about 7 days) to get dry, gather and burn. After burning leave for some days, then spray your herbicides (mixing glyphosate and atrazine, for double attack on pre-emergence & post-emergence weeds), heap the land, plant your crop.

Clear/cut land first before applying herbicide. Just know that iff you first apply herbicide, you'd still cut down the bush to make it more suitable for farming, and after cutting you'd also still apply herbicide again, so save yourself the troubles and cut land first before thinking of applying herbicide.

[/color]

Meanwhile I specialize in everything agriculture[color=#990000]

1 Like

Re: Chemical Or Manual Clearing by Aflix(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2021
nuelleoz:

For the aforementioned size of land the best clearing method is as follows from top to least.

1. Farm machines (hire a tractor) to do the job.
2. Manual labour(incorporate clearing and spraying)

**Using a tractor, you Plough, harrow, then ridge the piece of land, then spray your post-emergence herbicide. Then plant your crop.

**Using manual labour, clear the 5 acres then leave it for some days(about 7 days) to get dry, gather and burn. After burning leave for some days, then spray your herbicides (mixing glyphosate and atrazine, for double attack on pre-emergence & post-emergence weeds), heap the land, plant your crop.

Clear/cut land first before applying herbicide. Just know that iff you first apply herbicide, you'd still cut down the bush to make it more suitable for farming, and after cutting you'd also still apply herbicide again, so save yourself the troubles and cut land first before thinking of applying herbicide.

[/color]

Meanwhile I specialize in everything agriculture[color=#990000]
Thanks for your submission. But there is nothing wrong if we do decide to use herbicide right? We are trying to save costs and the use of herbicide is going to be cheaper.
Re: Chemical Or Manual Clearing by nuelleoz(m): 11:15am On Dec 20, 2021
Aflix:
Thanks for your submission. But there is nothing wrong if we do decide to use herbicide right? We are trying to save costs and the use of herbicide is going to be cheaper.

Post pics of the site

(1) (Reply)

Preparation Of Poultry House Before Arrival Of Chicks / Bonus Sales Offer( Land + Building+ Poultry And Rabbit House) / Shea Nut Farmer And Sellers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.